Fantastic abandoned places of the world.

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Ilya Muromets
Jedi Knight

Re: Fantastic abandoned places of the world.

Post by Ilya Muromets »

Crossroads Inc. wrote: Maunsell Army Sea Forts
I'm almost tempted to Photoshop that pic into that scene in The War of the Worlds where the HMS Thunderchild takes on a bunch of Tripods.

"Like I said, I don't care about human suffering as long as it doesn't affect me."
----LionElJonson, admitting to being a sociopathic little shit

"Please educate yourself before posting more."
----Sarevok, who really should have taken his own advice
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Buncha abandoned homesteads in Shenandoah National Park(well, not so much as "abandoned" as "locals forced out by gunpoint" but you get the picture).
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Centralia, Pennsylvania:
Centralia is a borough and ghost town in Columbia County, Pennsylvania, United States. Its population has dwindled from over 1,000 residents in 1981 to 12 in 2005,[1] 9 in 2007, and 7 in 2010[2] as a result of a mine fire burning beneath the borough since 1962. Centralia is now the least-populous municipality in Pennsylvania, with four fewer residents than the borough of S.N.P.J..

Centralia is part of the Bloomsburg–Berwick Micropolitan Statistical Area. The borough is completely surrounded by Conyngham Township.

All properties in the borough were claimed under eminent domain by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1992 (and all buildings therein were condemned), and Centralia's ZIP code was revoked by the Post Office in 2002.[1] However, a few residents continue to reside there in spite of a failed lawsuit to reverse the eminent domain claim.

Twigler
Padawan Learner

Post by Twigler »

Kayakoy, one of those Greek villages abandoned in 1923 after the Turkish-Greek war. The churches look fantastic in their decay.

And I know it's already been posted before in a general list of abandoned buildings, but I love these pictures of the Pacbell building in San Francisco.
If it's not being redeveloped in the end, please ship it to Gotham City instead.
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

folti78 wrote:The WebUrbanist posts collections of abandoned places regularly too. They post their sources if possible, so you can get more material. Happy exploring :)
Sweet Jesus, I tried to read about The Island of the Dolls and got too scared. It's 2pm here, not even dark, and that was terrifying.
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

For camping enthusiasts:
Dudleytown
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
AMT
Jedi Knight

Post by AMT »

Frank Hipper wrote:You could certainly do worse than starting here.
I LOVE that site. Used to live across the river from Cincinnati but was a transplant so really like learning about stuff like that.

The pictures of stuff like Surf Cincinnati and Americana Park were really weird, since I went to them as a kid.
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Post by Frank Hipper »

AMT wrote:
Frank Hipper wrote:You could certainly do worse than starting here.
I LOVE that site. Used to live across the river from Cincinnati but was a transplant so really like learning about stuff like that.

The pictures of stuff like Surf Cincinnati and Americana Park were really weird, since I went to them as a kid.
My grandparents lived less than 5 miles away from Americana while I was growing up, back when it was called Lesourdsville Lake. I remember going to Fantasy Farm (no doubt googling that would turn up some interesting hits) once when I was about 4 or so.

King's Island opened about that same time, and nothing else would do after that. :P
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

http://www.airfields-freeman.com/index.htm

This website contains photo records of abandoned or dismantled airfields that used to exist throughout the United States. Many of them were war surplus fields built in the 40s for defense and training. The local community could but didn't always pick them up after the government stopped using them and plenty of them are littered throughout the United States. Some of them have been totally developed over, some have been partially remodeled for use as other facilities, and others are mini-Pripyats. Sitting exactly as they've been since they were abandoned years ago.
Best care anywhere.
Jade Falcon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jade Falcon »

Heres a few, mainly noticed on the site Secret Scotland, though a lot of overseas stuff is discussed.

http://www.bunker42.com/

Bunker 42, Cold War era bunker, apparently open as a tourist site

Russian Polar lighthouses

http://picasaweb.google.com/kamatoz/bZjmtF#

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/8749472

Apparently a derelict naval base, but I can't read Russian

http://tbsf.livejournal.com/68922.html?#cutid1

ABM Tracking station

http://frantsouzov.livejournal.com/16967.html

http://frantsouzov.livejournal.com/12406.html
Don't Move you're surrounded by Armed Bastards - Gene Hunt's attempt at Diplomacy

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own - Number 6

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.