Your opinion of Fresno

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

Sam Or I
Jedi Council Member

Your opinion of Fresno

Post by Sam Or I »

It is the town I live in. I know it's reputation. Your opinion? Just a heads up I plan on writing a blog about Fresno, but I will not quote anyone. I just want a general opinion.
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Re: Your opinion of Fresno

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

The one place in CA where someone from Stockton can feel good about his hometown.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Never been there but from what I heard it has very awful and hot weather.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
KhyronTheBackstabber
Jedi Council Member

Post by KhyronTheBackstabber »

At least it's not Detroit.
MM's Zentraedi Warlord/CF's Original Predacon/JL's Mad Titan
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I think I passed through it when I was a kid, otherwise that's about it.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

I'm from there, born and raised. It's the biggest town with nothing to do I've ever seen.
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Also born and raised. Its a convenient place to leave from and go to other places. The beach, the mountains, San Francisco, LA...

Fresno is really great to start.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

Allegedly, a lot of cow tipping goes on in the surrounding area.
It's possible I'm being lied to but I maintain that it's true.
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Post by Superman »

Fresno is a dump.
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

It's a shit-hole, but at least it doesn't lie about being one. Every time I've been there I've seen an electric sign describing various bits about the weather and, without fail, every single time it's said the air quality was unhealthy. Hey, thanks for the heads up and reassuring me I'm not missing anything by not staying.

I'd say it's better than Salinas or King's City, but at least you're closer to the ocean in those cities. Better air quality, too.
"To make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."
— Carl Sagan

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

muse wrote:Allegedly, a lot of cow tipping goes on in the surrounding area.
It's possible I'm being lied to but I maintain that it's true.
You can also slide down the hills in the park on ice blocks.
Fresno is a dump.
WEST Fresno is a dump. 5 or 6 miles from the highway and you get nice neighborhoods. That's the part I grew up. Its also HUGE for a town that size, just over 100 square miles.

FunFact: Robert (Chakotay) Beltran is from Fresno.
ImageImage
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Sam Or I wrote:It is the town I live in. I know it's reputation. Your opinion? Just a heads up I plan on writing a blog about Fresno, but I will not quote anyone. I just want a general opinion.
I have stayed overnight in Fresno several times and driven through it dozens more times, and that's about the limit of contact I would like to keep with Fresno.

It seems like a small, backwards town that somehow grew too large, like Bakersfield, leaving it with the unfortunate combination of rural attitudes (in my rather limited experience) and urban blight (well, more like a district full of unsightly buildings and crazy people, but whatever). Really, I tend to associate Fresno with Bakersfield, Modesto, Hayward, and Escondido, but I'm probably just being too harsh a critic. Maybe I just don't like Central Californian cities (and Escondido).
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Hayward, the city near the geographic center of the Bay Area? Are you sure you know what you're talking about?
Pollux
Padawan Learner

Post by Pollux »

At least it's not as ass-fuck tiny as Redding.
"Minnesota has 10,000 lakes. This is roughly 4,000 times more lakes than people."
Bob the Gunslinger

Terralthra wrote:Hayward, the city near the geographic center of the Bay Area? Are you sure you know what you're talking about?
Yes. My wife is from Hayward and I've been there many times. Hayward is the city where I had to dial 911 from inside the goddamn police station. I'm most familiar with Hayward's BART station, Hesperian and A street (all dumps), but the last few times I've been there, I've heard about the community college and certain residential streets because of their reputations for having a high number of rapes.

And Hayward is not near the center of the Bay area. It's near the south end of BART's route, at least 20 minutes from Oakland and a good 45 minute drive from Berkeley.

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

More like half an hour from Berkeley. As for near the south end, you must be unaware that San Jose, along with all of Silicon Valley, is part of the Bay Area. Looking at any map of the areas surrounding the bay will clearly show you that the center of the region is in the water between Hayward and San Mateo.
Bob the Gunslinger

Conceded. I tend to think of the Bay Area more along the lines of what was important when I lived there: San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley and BART. For me, the center of the bay area is in Oakland, where all the BART lines converge--the beating heart of all the civilized parts of the Bay Area... and Oakland. To make a long story short, yes, I am thinking of the same Hayward.

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

I assumed that it was a chain of American retail outlets that primarily dealt in bulk sales of frying oil and chip fat.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Ford Prefect wrote:I assumed that it was a chain of American retail outlets that primarily dealt in bulk sales of frying oil and chip fat.
I'm sure you think this is funny, but I have no clue why.

Fresno is actually the 5th-largest city in California, with a bit over half a million people.
ImageImage
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Post by Count Chocula »

I've been to and through Fresno several times. To me, it's like Ohio...with mountains. And the cool places to go are cooler than those you can reach in 2 hours from Ohio.
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:I'm sure you think this is funny, but I have no clue why.

Fresno is actually the 5th-largest city in California, with a bit over half a million people.
I've never actually heard of Fresno before I saw this thread. But just saying Fresno to myself did not conjure up images of a city, it conjured up images of a poured concrete building with automatic doors and dull-eyed teenagers in tacky tee-shirts, and all manner of people pushing trolleys stacked high with bulk items. Tins of beans so large you could go swimming in them. Blocks of butter big enough that to replicate the Great Pyramid. Metric fucktons of jelly. It just sounds like that kind of place. Fresno.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

I get what Ford's saying.

But when I hear Fresno I think FUCKIN' MOTORCROSS!

lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Ilya Muromets
Jedi Knight

Post by Ilya Muromets »

All I know about Fresno is that it got used as a running gag in an episode or two of that I am Weasel cartoon.

"Like I said, I don't care about human suffering as long as it doesn't affect me."
----LionElJonson, admitting to being a sociopathic little shit

"Please educate yourself before posting more."
----Sarevok, who really should have taken his own advice
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

All I know about Fresno is that you have - even by my standards, which are damn high - cheap and plentiful methamphetamine.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

All I know about Fresno is that I should be glad Modesto isn't like it. And all I know about Modesto is that there aren't Mounties there (but I have in-laws there now).
XXXI