SD.Net World Redux Comment Thread II

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

Sea Skimmer wrote:You can’t beat the economy of big tankers, and most modern supertanks tankers are already too large for anyone’s harbor anyway. They load and unload at offshore buoy terminals, or else huge jetties purpose built for them like what Iran has at Kharg Island.
Yes but Astaria has its own oil, some on the island, some off shore from South Velaria. There's not so much need for shuffling large quantities of crude or refined goods around. Also I doubt there are any wharfs in Astaria that could build something bigger than a handymax, and since I can't buy supertankers from abroad...
Norseman's Fics the SD archive of my fics.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Wait...Shep mentioned those boats are getting reloads from Japanistanis.

So are they getting reloads, or just food&water?

Not that we'd know IC if you really wanted to hide it, but I'd like to avoid people going "My spies dig up some information Japanistan is reloading SHepistani subs!" only to have you vehemently deny it and we not knowing what to do :P

If Shepistanis are just buying food&water, I don't see a problem. Or, rather, I see a rather minor one.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

PeZook wrote:Wait...Shep mentioned those boats are getting reloads from Japanistanis.

So are they getting reloads, or just food&water?

Not that we'd know IC if you really wanted to hide it, but I'd like to avoid people going "My spies dig up some information Japanistan is reloading SHepistani subs!" only to have you vehemently deny it and we not knowing what to do :P
On was taking on weapons, abet covertly and from prepostioned stocks, not Japanistani arsenals. Others have been met in remote parts of the world by Shepistan and Japanistani ships (which raise a Shepistani flag for the duration of the actual meeting) alike for resupply.

Joint Japanistani-Shepistan operations continue in Japanistani occupied Cavaoland and in the Antarctic; Japanistan would regard an attack on either of those areas to be an attack on Japanistan.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Ah, that clears it up. So, standard but deniable dickery? :D

You know, I think I see what you're doing here. Shepistan just reduced a lot of MESS forces to rubble, while Japanistan remains sorta-neutral and calls for peace. All the while the strategic balance shifts away from the MESS, and not a single Japanistani had to die in this war yet (well, one died on board of the Jack)

Slick ;)

BTW, somebody really should declare where this megatanker got sunk.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Even though the war has yet to conclude, Shepistan is seeing budget contractions and crunches -- all the weaponry we're firing off and all the planes shot down and all the tanks blown up by all sides in this war; have to be paid for somehow -- and while you can get replacements in wartime relatively fast by saying "we'll pay for it later"; that leads to economic contraction post-war as the dues come in...

In conclusion.

Fucking IRT. Goddamn WHORES WHORES WHORES OF WAR charging hideous markups on military equipment.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

MKSheppard wrote:Fucking IRT. Goddamn WHORES WHORES WHORES OF WAR charging hideous markups on military equipment.
Would you like to buy more?
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Basically, only ships on courses taking them to the OD will be sunk; you can determine courses with passive sonar through Target Motion Analysis; it just takes time...
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Please note, no new attacks on the fucklands, I just detailed the attacks of the first day of the war -- I assumed after heavy casualties were inflicted on the OD forces; the MESS flew in reinforcements against any possible Shepistani counterinvasion.

So far, the reinforcements are bored; picking their noses, and bitching that they're "missing the real war".

And this is not likely to change -- there are no shepistani plans for any further strikes on the fucklands or San Fuego...

Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

I've got a question for Stas Bush about the territories he controls in Frequesue. If I understand the situation, the old government wouldn’t accept the peace deal with Westchester and then the CSR went in and took control of the place, making it a part of the CSR. So this territory is officially part of the CSR? Zorin's talk on the matter calling the AFSR sovereign territory of the CSR seems to indicate that is the case. Were there even canned elections where the people decided to join the CSR? (I can't recall).

This would make it nearly impossible for Indhopal to make nice with the CSR. From Indhopal's viewpoint the CSR and its allies (Shady) are now taking over other nations for their own benefit. It's imperialist aggression of the worst sort, like the Shadow Empire Reborn! (dun, dun, dun).

Indhopal's government would still be interested in Strategic Weapons talks though, but anything that could be construed as condoning the CSR's actions will probably have to be thrown out the window. (If there were elections open to foreign observers in which the AFSR chose to be part of the CSR, Indhopal might have more leeway to wheel and deal.)

There will also be a speech made by President Raj Ahten on the matter later, once I’m sure of all the facts.

Edit: I should have picked up on this a lot earlier. I must have gotten distracted by all the random wars and crap that have been going on. I guess the oposition in Indhopal really does have something to complain about: President Raj Ahten's glacial response speed.
Last edited by Raj Ahten on 2008-09-24 07:11pm, edited 3 times in total.
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

There was a plebiscite, though it's veracity is certainly circumspect.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

My understanding of the PRSF is that they accepted the peace deal, but the navy and air force buggered out of the country instead of following the government.

There was a rigged election as far as joining the CSR goes, but Tian Xia is not currently accepting it as a valid expression of the people's will.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

What are the names of the Florida and Maine portions of the OD/Shepistani continent anyway? I thought I remembered Lonestar referring to an "Augustine", which I'd figure was the Florida-portion.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Sea Skimmer wrote: Joint Japanistani-Shepistan operations continue in Japanistani occupied Cavaoland and in the Antarctic; Japanistan would regard an attack on either of those areas to be an attack on Japanistan.
Though I take it that Japanistan is also preventing Shepistan from using those territories in operations against the MESS?
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

In regards to the Coilerburg Peace Talks that Cascadia is arbitrating, I figure that the Cascadian determination will be to formally recognize borders as they are, provide for limits on the sizes of the armies of Sabika and Omango but not as much on their equipment, provide their air forces only field air superiority jet fighters, have the FTO pledge to protect their independence and their sovereign borders provided for by the peace treaty, and see Coilerburg do the ceremony to apologize for the Iler Regime. I'm not sure if there were reparations from that initial war, if there weren't - or if there were but Coilerburg defaulted on them - then there would be no reparations either way but a clean slate declared. If Coilerburg did pay any, then token reparations would be required from Sabika and Omango, though on a generous timescale and not very large in scale at all, just enough to over time offset the costs to damage to Coilerburg done by the invasions. For the moment Indhopal and other FTO states would continue to maintain peacekeepers on the border, with a timetable for returning border control to the respective nations within twelve to eighteen months.

The Cascadian arbitration is based on balancing Coilerburg's concerns for defense with Sabika and Omango's fears of Coilerburg's capabilities against them (not to mention the rest of the FTO) and with the overall need for peace on Frequesue, especially as your economies must be hurting for all these military expenditures.

If requested, Cascadia is willing to assign personnel to maintain oversight of Sabikan and Omangan air force war stocks to ensure compliance with the ban on airstrike capability, though we hope to eventually have the oversight commission become entirely local as trust in the region is restored, as well as stability. However, as of this moment we have no desire for peacekeepers on the ground, especially as any Cascadian presence might violate the spirit of the Frequesue Neutrality Conference seeking to keep outside powers out of internal Frequesue affairs.

If you feel I've overlooked anything, tell me and I'll add it.

Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Steve wrote:In regards to the Coilerburg Peace Talks that Cascadia is arbitrating, I figure that the Cascadian determination will be to formally recognize borders as they are, provide for limits on the sizes of the armies of Sabika and Omango but not as much on their equipment, provide their air forces only field air superiority jet fighters, have the FTO pledge to protect their independence and their sovereign borders provided for by the peace treaty, and see Coilerburg do the ceremony to apologize for the Iler Regime. I'm not sure if there were reparations from that initial war, if there weren't - or if there were but Coilerburg defaulted on them - then there would be no reparations either way but a clean slate declared. If Coilerburg did pay any, then token reparations would be required from Sabika and Omango, though on a generous timescale and not very large in scale at all, just enough to over time offset the costs to damage to Coilerburg done by the invasions. For the moment Indhopal and other FTO states would continue to maintain peacekeepers on the border, with a timetable for returning border control to the respective nations within twelve to eighteen months.

The Cascadian arbitration is based on balancing Coilerburg's concerns for defense with Sabika and Omango's fears of Coilerburg's capabilities against them (not to mention the rest of the FTO) and with the overall need for peace on Frequesue, especially as your economies must be hurting for all these military expenditures.

If requested, Cascadia is willing to assign personnel to maintain oversight of Sabikan and Omangan air force war stocks to ensure compliance with the ban on airstrike capability, though we hope to eventually have the oversight commission become entirely local as trust in the region is restored, as well as stability. However, as of this moment we have no desire for peacekeepers on the ground, especially as any Cascadian presence might violate the spirit of the Frequesue Neutrality Conference seeking to keep outside powers out of internal Frequesue affairs.

If you feel I've overlooked anything, tell me and I'll add it.
Indhopal agrees to this plan. Having your people doing the checks to see if Omango and Sabika are sticking to treaty was a nice touch btw.

I guess we'll see if Omango and Sabika can be drawn into the FTO over the course of the game.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Raj Ahten wrote:So this territory is officially part of the CSR?
Yes.
Raj Ahten wrote:Were there even canned elections where the people decided to join the CSR?

Yes.
Raj Ahten wrote:This would make it nearly impossible for Indhopal to make nice with the CSR.
Your choice, not mine. Although I understand you have to answer to your people, so... ;)
Raj Ahten wrote:If there were elections open to foreign observers in which the AFSR chose to be part of the CSR, Indhopal might have more leeway to wheel and deal.
At some point we'd do something like that, reinforcing our position, but right now, with the junta failed and most of the AFSR defended by our forces (with the AFSR army slowly recovering from the war), we can't do much more.

Also, I can allow observers into several military facilities, from Vineyards or Indhopal. If you fortfeit that offer, I wont' do it again.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

War's over boys!
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

And the peace will be horrible!

Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

MKSheppard wrote:And the peace will be horrible!
As I love to say, We're Doomed!

Oh, and wonderful peace plan, Steve.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Karmic Knight wrote:
MKSheppard wrote:And the peace will be horrible!
As I love to say, We're Doomed!

Oh, and wonderful peace plan, Steve.
As with most peace plans, it's all up to the former belligerents to make it work.

Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

So we've put Shep in charge of keeping the peace?

God damn it.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Master_Baerne wrote:So we've put Shep in charge of keeping the peace?

God damn it.
Well there are two different peace deals being discussed right now. The one Steve is talking about (I think) is the one between Coilerburg and Omango/Sabika.

Though Shep is in charge of keeping the peace with the MESS to some degree. The war was inconclusive, so we could be having another round of fighting next year.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Raj Ahten wrote:The war was inconclusive, so we could be having another round of fighting next year.
Not damn likely. OD and Shepistan are severely in need of at least a five year rebuild period. I figure we're still good in tanks and basic combat vehicles, since $1 billion buys you 400~ tanks easily. A few billion or so is enough to completely re-equip your ground forces.

Air Defenses and Air Forces? A PATRIOT Class SAM costs about $3 million each, then add in the launchers and radars no doubt which got blown up or damaged in the war. Even with the higher production rates of this world; a decent fighter is still gonna run around $50 million.

Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

MKSheppard wrote:
Raj Ahten wrote:The war was inconclusive, so we could be having another round of fighting next year.
Not damn likely. OD and Shepistan are severely in need of at least a five year rebuild period. I figure we're still good in tanks and basic combat vehicles, since $1 billion buys you 400~ tanks easily. A few billion or so is enough to completely re-equip your ground forces.

Air Defenses and Air Forces? A PATRIOT Class SAM costs about $3 million each, then add in the launchers and radars no doubt which got blown up or damaged in the war. Even with the higher production rates of this world; a decent fighter is still gonna run around $50 million.
Hey now, you and Lonestar could still fire artillery at each other or infiltrate each other's borders with paramilitary units if you'll wanted to :wink: .

Just because the belligerents military's are in desperate need of an overhaul hasn't stopped any number of real world conflicts.