SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Post by Lonestar »

Viceroy of New Granada
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Ryan Thunder wrote:
CmdrWilkens wrote:Total aside with this no longer troubling Mexico and the note expiring we will be sending an ultimatum to Gran Colombia, just as a heads up Ryan.
Buh... Wha?

EDIT: Are you nuts? I sent diplomats. You appear to have ignored them...

EDIT2: Also, the capital is Caracas. :|
I ignored them because they arrived without a note :D

My bad about the Caracas thing but simply put, and this is VERY OOC, with the forces of worldwide communism distracted elsewhere Mexico is picking a bone with Colombia to secure her (Mexico's) position as the preeminent power in the Caribbean. Now I may be willing to settle for less than total control over Panama as a client kingdom but I can't tolerate someone who isn't my ally controlling so vital a link as the Panama Canal for the next dozen years until I have my own canal. *stir the pot, stir the pot*
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Heh. Rogue should honestly dislike such ambition from Mexico, and of course the threat of shut-downs to the Panama Canal may spur irritation against Mexico in other quarters. But your plan is solid... well, as soon as you figure out the tricky business of how to invade with no actual land border. :wink:
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

By Jove has the Union been dealt a bum hand. Fully a third of its army effectively written off on the first day of combat, half of its territory (corresponding to an estimated third of its population) lost, no mobilization going until now... But by God, as long as Vesting Holland stands I will bleed the Hun and his perfidious French stooges dry! *shakes fist*
Last edited by Siege on 2009-12-11 11:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Honestly mobilization should have begun the day the Dutch got the ultimatum, and I will rule such as happening. Just that since the deadline was only 2 days or so, I think, they haven't nearly had the time to remotely begin proper mobilization.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Siege wrote:By Jove has the Union been dealt a bum hand. Fully a third of its army effectively written off on the first day of combat, half of its territory (corresponding to an estimated third of its population) lost, no mobilization going until now... But by God, as long as Vesting Holland stands I will bleed the Hun and his perfidious French stooges dry! *shakes fist*
I sense patriotic pride. :lol:
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Steve wrote:Heh. Rogue should honestly dislike such ambition from Mexico, and of course the threat of shut-downs to the Panama Canal may spur irritation against Mexico in other quarters. But your plan is solid... well, as soon as you figure out the tricky business of how to invade with no actual land border. :wink:
Such a plan is in place and will be communicated to the mods if Colombia doesn't agree to an outright surrender (which oddly enough would probably cause me more problems with the US as you say than a somewhat less one sided result). Anyway period preparatory to war was announced 96 hours prior to when the war would begin (it coincided with the 3 day note after which this ultimatum was delivered with the 24 hour expiry) and mobilization was announced effective with the issue of the ultimatum. Given this sequence I expect to have reserve units kitting out for the first week of any conflict followed by movement to staging areas. All active duty formations are currently moving to their assigned positions as they were already brought to alert 3 days ago, only those units specifically mentioned as being on the move at that time will reach their staging points within 24 hours of the ultimatum's expiry.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Right, so ITT we learn that the Mexican Emperor is a crazed lunatic. Oh well. Too bad for him.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

So no one would take control of the USSR? Should I just presume my former nation become a huge loose NPC? I'm still looking into the threads to see if (and who, by will of the mods) takes over my nation and help with transit issues, but if no one would, I'm not going to wait forever.

My nation's fully fleshed out, as is it's OOB (and future tech tree to some extent, although I doubt anyone could manage it as efficiently as myself), so anyone could take over and continue playing. I would also give that person access to the picture repository that keeps Soviet Navy ship pictures and photos of USSR locations in the 1920-1930 period.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

For the moment it's an NPC. Rogue, Timothy, and I will take up the question of finding a new Soviet player I imagine, but Rogue saw fit to announce Russia as an NPC to A) see if we could keep you in and B) to prevent a rush of players looking to take over.

Evincer
Youngling

Post by Evincer »

Too tired to post right now, but the Bolivarian Union is placing its navy and air force on alert following the notification from Gran Colombia of a possible Caribbean war.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Steve wrote:Honestly mobilization should have begun the day the Dutch got the ultimatum, and I will rule such as happening. Just that since the deadline was only 2 days or so, I think, they haven't nearly had the time to remotely begin proper mobilization.
No, the deadlines was 30 minutes.

Let me fill you in:

a) Ultimatum delivered at 11:30
b) War starts at 12:00
c) Now, we are at the end of Day 1 and the beginning of Day 2 - meaning that the Dutch had about 24 hours so far to mobilize.

That means that any positions that are not filled by regulars are filled by completely surprised and hastily activated reservists.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Any positions within 20 or so km of the border. Because 20 km per day is the highest tempo for infantry divs to move.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Ah, didn't realize the ultimatum was so short. My bad.

Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

One might wonder how the preparations for such a surprise attack were done without anyone in Europe proper noticing...

Then again IMHO the reason the Dutch are getting so shafted has more to do with the fact that Karmic Knight isn't here to scream bloody murder.
Norseman's Fics the SD archive of my fics.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Actually, I have been shifting troops IC to northern Germany over several posts over the past ingame months. You can find it in my posts.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

His bane is his small territory and the vast disparity of forces. Germany and France could, even advancing 3-10 km per day depending on the heaviness of fighting, and with heavy battles and partisans on every corner, still overrun him in several months or so. The only matter is losses they take.

Had it been a large nation, things would've been rather different.

Assalti Frontali
Lascaris
Padawan Learner

Post by Lascaris »

Thanas wrote:Actually, I have been shifting troops IC to northern Germany over several posts over the past ingame months. You can find it in my posts.
Even so the part on going after border posts sending in the armored trains etc would NOT work. The Dutch would had gone to full alert the moment you delivered the ultimatum. Arresting every German and French citizen for deportation very much included.

I won't even question how all these armed German tourists got into a Communist police state in the first place.

Further I'd be pretty certain that one says 15 divisions are in frex Brussels what it means is that the HQ of the respective army is there not that he has packed a quarter million men there in peacetime.
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

How exactly would they arrest 'every' German and French citizen in thirty minutes?
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Lascaris wrote:
Thanas wrote:Actually, I have been shifting troops IC to northern Germany over several posts over the past ingame months. You can find it in my posts.
Even so the part on going after border posts sending in the armored trains etc would NOT work. The Dutch would had gone to full alert the moment you delivered the ultimatum. Arresting every German and French citizen for deportation very much included.
Preposterous, even assuming the dutch commander immediately ran for his telephone, phoned commanders etc - it takes time to get such an operation ready.
I won't even question how all these armed German tourists got into a Communist police state in the first place.
By boat or as normal travellers? The netherlands has a fucking lot of waterways and assuming you have got around 50 switch operators on a single rail line, that is about 200-300 men per railroad alone. One can easily smuggle that many people in considering the amount of trading that is going on in that.
Further I'd be pretty certain that one says 15 divisions are in frex Brussels what it means is that the HQ of the respective army is there not that he has packed a quarter million men there in peacetime.
Ah, so now lets all assume that his brigades are placed in the best manner to resist a german invasion. Awesome. Why did I need to make a detailled OOB again?
------------
------------
My LPs
Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

Okay I'm quitting, too many other players are leaving and I'm just not having any fun here... The moderators can do what they want with Brazil, this map of ports inland and at sea ought to tell you where the forts are. Good bye.
Norseman's Fics the SD archive of my fics.
Lascaris
Padawan Learner

Post by Lascaris »

Norseman wrote:Okay I'm quitting, too many other players are leaving and I'm just not having any fun here... The moderators can do what they want with Brazil, this map of ports inland and at sea ought to tell you where the forts are. Good bye.
Why I start feeling a restart is in order?
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

What the fuck? The game has barely started, and aside from the nonsense of a Soviet-Manchurian war, what other crap is turning up? As for Karmic, he has occasionally disappeared? Or has he quit? He hasn't exactly posted much since the start of the game anyway.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Lascaris
Padawan Learner

Post by Lascaris »

loomer wrote:How exactly would they arrest 'every' German and French citizen in thirty minutes?
Ok. Somehow I was under the impression it was rather 1-2 days than 30 minutes but I see the ultimatum was about on par with that of Italy to Greece in 1940.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

What a bloody mess...
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum