SDN World 3 Country Claiming

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Re: SDN World 3 Country Claiming

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Steve are you still shopping for a naval construction system? Because I am working on adapting my naval construction proposal for SDNW2 to this time period.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Actually, from what I've read the Nicaragua Canal would've been easier to dredge and make as it would've utilized pre-existing waterways up to Lake Nicaragua, with the sole exception of the difficulty posed by the Rivas section. There's even a proposal today to build it in light of freighters too big to use Panama.

Well, Wilkens beat me to it....

And we were going to go with a point per thousand tons of ship, spent every quarter until completed, with Navy Focus (and Industry and/or Economy, possibly) limiting or raising available yards (Navy Focus to reflect support for the Navy, Industry for the machinery and equipment needed, Economy to reflect the presence of a merchant marine). If you can refine this, go for it.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

As an FYI, I've found someone who intends to play a unified Scandanavia (Norway, Sweden, Denmark). He'll probably be posting tomorrow, went to bed for the night. Which is where I should be going, frankly....
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

BTW, I'm open for suggestions on which focus score should allow certain techs, like minimal naval and air for aircraft carriers (if only converted ones), or minimal army for tanks or heavier artillery.

Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

Steve wrote:As an FYI, I've found someone who intends to play a unified Scandanavia (Norway, Sweden, Denmark). He'll probably be posting tomorrow, went to bed for the night. Which is where I should be going, frankly....
Hah! Well I'll be keeping an argus eye on how he portrays the place ;)
Steve wrote:BTW, I'm open for suggestions on which focus score should allow certain techs, like minimal naval and air for aircraft carriers (if only converted ones), or minimal army for tanks or heavier artillery.
I think that we should differentiate between small but purpose built carriers such as HMS Hermes, full sized converted cruisers or battlecruisers such as, HMS Furious, and experimental designs such as HMS Argus. Not to mention things like airship and seaplane tenders, do they count as carriers?

EDIT: Let me add anyway that Army Focus 0 and 1 should be stuck in the Boer War Era; Army Focus 2 I think should be running on Great War surplus (e.g. armoured cars and a few crummy tanks only); Army Focus 3 should be able to build anything the French did in the same era (which isn't that bad really); Army Focus 4 anything the British built (and they were number one in this period). However there should be rules regulating how mechanized your forces can be depending on industry and economy, nothing fancy mind you just basic guidelines.

As for the carriers... anyone can make airship or seaplane tenders if they have Naval Focus 1 and Air Focus 2; Naval Focus 3 and Air Focus 2 should be required for any conversions, with perhaps Air Focus 3 (or 4) for purpose built carrier airplanes. Also if you have a carrier that clocks in at over 20 kt you should account for it as a capship (anything smaller is liable to be slow and vulnerable).
Norseman's Fics the SD archive of my fics.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

This is my idea for naval fleets.
1. Naval focus determines what you can theoretically build:
- Naval focus of 1 necessary to build any dreadnoughts
- Naval focus of 3 necessary to build ships over 30.000 tons
- Naval focus of 4 or higher necessary to build ships over 50.000 tons

2. Industry, economy and Naval focus determines what new construction you can built in practice:
- Combined score of 15 = 300.000 tons yardspace
- Combined score of 14 = 280.000 tons total
scales down to:
combined score of 1 = 20000 tons yardspace
Note: Naval focus of 5 always starts with at least 200.000 tons Baseline, no matter the other ratings. So a player with a 5 in Naval focus would only need a 3 or 4 in the two other categories to get a maximum built order.

Only three quarters of your yardspace may be dedicated to building capital ships.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

Thing is I really don't want to keep track of my non-capital ship designs, or at least don't make me keep track of the slipways for them! I mean I could be wrong but isn't slipway space and shipyards most critical for big iron? So we should be spared the trouble of keeping track of the dozens of cruisers (who unlike battlecruisers would all be under 10Kt) and scores of destroyers plus other small fry a navy needs.

I can already only churn out three battleships at a time, even if they only need two years of slipway time that's still three BBs every other year so... That seems like a reasonable pace to me, one which shouldn't preclude me from being able to have other ships beside battleships ;)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Yeah, limiting it to Capital ships only might prevent too much bureaucracy.

However, I would think that a heavily industrialized country (4/5) with a strong Naval Focus (4/5) should be capable of building four or five 50-60kt ships at the same time, so the Yard scale should reflect this.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

Thanas wrote:Yeah, limiting it to Capital ships only might prevent too much bureaucracy.

However, I would think that a heavily industrialized country (4/5) with a strong Naval Focus (4/5) should be capable of building four or five 50-60kt ships at the same time, so the Yard scale should reflect this.
In a nine year period between 1905 and 1914 the Royal Navy built 10 battlecruisers and 26 battleships, not counting the Lord Nelson class. That number would go up substantially if you also added what had been laid down prior to the war. Worse yet they still had excess capacity, even in peacetime they could easily have built far more!

With 3 Industry and 3 Naval Focus I'd be lucky to complete 15 capital ships in the same period, that is going fairly all out. This seems reasonable actually for a Industry 3 Naval Focus 3 power, at least if all 3s was supposed to be France.

For the record mind I'm going to be building sane designs rather than going for Insane Super-Battleship Yamato! In short I'll be trying to reflect the design policies of my country when I make my designs. Within those limits however I'll try to wring out every ounce of advantage that I plausible can, much like real world designers and politicians would be doing the same.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Hah. Well, that's a nice move Wilkens, you managed to make me irrelevant to world affairs once again and cost me a major source of income in one swift motion. Cool.

Great. Just fucking great. -_-
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Well, if the Panama Canal can't handle ships with an excess beam of 36-40 meters, there is no point in me investing in it. Because German ships have a very wide beam - the Baden class had 30m, the 50.000 ton Bismarck had 36, larger designs might have even more, especially if I am eventually going to built 60kt ships.

So what are the dimensions of your canal, Wilkens? I don't think it will be 254 ft as the original canal was.
------------
------------
My LPs
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

I'd suggest a length limit rather than a "capital ship". Maybe something like 400-450 ft?
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

What exactly is preventing me from building a 50 m wide Panama canal to accomodate German ships?
Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

Beowulf wrote:I'd suggest a length limit rather than a "capital ship". Maybe something like 400-450 ft?
Erm no... some light ships were absurdly long, being very long helps you in terms of handling speed well. I think that the 20kt limit is fairly apt, everything below that is too small for our notice, everything beyond that is probably going to be in the 30kt+ range.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Ryan Thunder wrote:What exactly is preventing me from building a 50 m wide Panama canal to accomodate German ships?
Didn't Wilkens say that changing lock size would be impossible with tech due to the water simply not being there?
------------
------------
My LPs
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

You'd probably still get business, Ryan, and as Mexico is a potential foe the Union and Cascadia would likely consider the Panama Canal an important piece of real estate.

Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Thanas wrote:
Ryan Thunder wrote:What exactly is preventing me from building a 50 m wide Panama canal to accomodate German ships?
Didn't Wilkens say that changing lock size would be impossible with tech due to the water simply not being there?
I'm not sure that I understand how that could be the case, though.

He's saying that there's not enough water in the lakes to fill a few 50 by 200 metre locks?

EDIT: Never mind, I'm just an idiot and didn't think that attempting to make the canal wider would necessarily make it shallower.

Well, who's still on board for my canal?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Depending on how much it will cost, I would still be on board.
------------
------------
My LPs
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

I might fund both canals. Essentially bet on both horses so that even in the event of a skirmish etc., my goods still get through to the other side.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

^My reasoning as well, but I guess it would depend on how much it will cost.
------------
------------
My LPs
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Cascadia would still support the Panama Canal, especially as it's apparently the first anyway, with Mexico's Nicaragua Canal being something to be built in-game.

Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

BTW Stas Bush if I have questions about Russian inventions such as the giant snake train that rolls on steel ball bearings could you help us out and maybe provide some details?
Ma Deuce
Sith Marauder

Post by Ma Deuce »

It is possible for Panama to support bigger locks. In 1939 US began construction on a third set of locks that would have been 1200 feet long by 140 feet wide, intended to accommodate a new generation of warships including the Montana Class battleships. This of course was canceled on the US entry into WWII and never resumed. The reason the canal is near capacity today is because of the sheer volume of traffic going through it, not the size of the locks. However, the third locks project has recently been resurrected, building upon the abandoned US excavations. The new locks are to be 1400 x 180 feet (not to mention 60 feet deep, to accommodate newer mega-containerships), and are intended to have a lockwater reclamation system to ease their burden on the water supply.
The M2HB: The Greatest Machinegun Ever Made.
HAB: Crew-Served Weapons Specialist

"Making fun of born-again Christians is like hunting dairy cows with a high powered rifle and scope." --P.J. O'Rourke

"A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." --J.S. Mill
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Oh. In that case, Ryan, Germany would definitely be on board.
------------
------------
My LPs
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

There's only going to be one Suez though, and I'm going to strive to keep it that way :D.

In other news, I've pretty much finished the history of the Sultanate. Let's see what period armies looked like...
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes