SDN World 3 Country Claiming

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Re: SDN World 3 Country Claiming

Post by Norseman »

Incidentally technological development in this era was *ludicrous* I wonder if there shouldn't be some sort of discount if you have ships beyond a certain age. After all this is the age where a ten year old ship would be ludicrously outmatched by a new one. Maybe battleships past a certain age (and who show that age in their design) should be counted under capship tonnage rather than BB tonnage?

Also I would like some more detail on what is a capship and what is a battleship, after all I'd like some battlecruisers (and I mean battlecruisers not battleships cunningly disguised as battlecruisers) but I'm sure I'm not the only one confused as to whether or not they come under capship tonnage or BB tonnage.
Norseman's Fics the SD archive of my fics.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I thought Beowulf's solution was now supplanting my own?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

TENTATIVE point structure for the Grand Dominion

4 population
3 Home
4 Colonies
4 Industry
3 economy
4 Infrastructure
2 Standing military
3 Naval focus
3 +2 Army Focus
2 Air focus

Ruling much of modern India. Overseas colonies include: Burma, Aden, the Seychelles, Maldives, Sri Lanka, the Nicobar islands, and the Chagos(note, Sri Lanka may change if Bean really wants it).

Crusading Army that set up shop in India. If this was a WH40K Army, it would have some interesting traits. :P
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Couple things:

- Steve I'm gonna get back to your PM today IRGT the history of Mexico versus Cascadia/the Von Regan's/USA and the status of Nicaragua but I'm still trying to figure out how exactly I want to divvy up my points so I need to figure out if I can afford the land as territory or as a dependency.

- For those who are interested in a separate canal game year one is going to see bids placed for assistance with a Nicaraguan canal of roughly Suezmax dimensions.

- Points for the Mexican Empire should be up later this evening as well (baby cooperating).
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Mine will cost less to build and cost any investors less to maintain.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Yeah, but Suez capacity is way, way bigger, which means that the new canal will be the better one unless the Panama canal steps up and increases funding.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

Note that by this time in OTL the Panama canal had already been up and running for a while.
Norseman's Fics the SD archive of my fics.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

The hsitory is going to show severe deviations and a much earlier POD Norseman.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Thanas wrote:Yeah, but Suez capacity is way, way bigger, which means that the new canal will be the better one unless the Panama canal steps up and increases funding.
Well, are my investors willing? Because Columbia is. :P

It'll still cost less because its shorter, anyway. We could beat their capacity at their price, if we wanted to.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I'd be up for it if there are others willing to invest as well. Maybe Cascadia will?
------------
------------
My LPs
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Thinking of reducing the top half of the CT scale so people can spend 4 points if they want without having to claim 2 million square kms of territory.

Maybe 1 million only, make CT scale linear up to 4, then 5 jumps to past 2 million or so to reflect a huge empire.

Thus it'd be:
0 = Zip
1 = <200,000km2
2 = >200,000km2
3 = >600,000km2
4 = >1,000,000km2
5 = >2,000,000km2

As for the Panama Canal, Cascadia may approve a plan to increase the canal's capacity.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

By the way, the closest I could get to a construction cost figure was here, and they said that it cost Americans $375M at the time.

However, since I'm initiating this and its a joint project we can cut out the $10 million that had to be paid to Panama originally and the 40 million that it cost to purchase the construction company from the French, for a total of $325M.

Does anybody have better numbers?
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

The Grand Dominion has Eastern India, with Burma, (part of)Nepal, Bhutan, Aden +Eastern Red Sea coast, Sri Lanka, the Chagoes, Nicobar Islands, and Maldives as colonies.

Shep will be posting his proposed Shepistan shortly, I believe.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Shepistan and the Grand Dominion's Claims are:

LINK

Jungle Green is Shepistan, Light Blue is Grand Dominion.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Preliminary points spread for the USA

Code: Select all

Population - 4
Economy - 4
Home Territory - 4 (about 2.4 million sq mi, more or less)
Infrastructure - 4
Colonial Territory - 1
Standing Military - 3
Industry - 4
Naval Focus - 3
Army Focus - 4 (2 +2 industry)
Air Focus - 1
So I had put in a colony point because, at the time, I was using it per Thanas' "1 gets you naval bases". But since that's morphed into a territory thing...anyone claimed Cuba yet? Wilkens?

EDIT: If I can't get that, I don't really see any other real options, except maybe the Bahamas or Virgin Islands. Assuming nobody has claims there already (or we don't decide to make Cuba eta all an NPC; I'm cool with that, actually). If I wind up with no colonies (but can keep my naval bases with Raj and maybe siome in a Cuban NPC...Gitmo!) I guess I'll toss the 1 in CT over to Air Focus.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Since no one has laid claim to it, would it be alright if i re-invested an Industry point to colonies to claim Sumatra?

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Zor wrote:Since no one has laid claim to it, would it be alright if i re-invested an Industry point to colonies to claim Sumatra?

Zor
Klavo claimed it.

Did you reconfigure your points to account for the new system and the limits on Industry dependent upon the other scores?
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Steve wrote:Did you reconfigure your points to account for the new system and the limits on Industry dependent upon the other scores?
Since no, then here we go.

Home Territory-2
Population-3
Colonial assets-1
Industry-4
Economy-4
Infastructure-4
Standing Forces-3-(I want none of that compromised military strength nonsense)
Navy Strength-3+1 Industry boost (The seas belong to the empire!)
Army Strength-3+1 Industry boost
Air Force-3

Also, i was thinking about certain Tech limitations. For example, lets say that someone puts one point on army strength, that guy can not produce any tanks until 1930.

Zor
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Going by the new points system, I'm completely and utterly fucked in all the areas that really matter. I think a problem I see with it is basing industrial might on colonial, not home, territories; where would that leave people who have minimal or no colonies?
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I believe Thanas did that to A) reflect that a lot of industrial powers got some raw resources from their colonies and B) to prevent people from using CT as a sink score, as was happening in some cases.

OTOH, it is realistic that smaller countries without major prospects for empires wouldn't have the same industrial capacity as Germany or the US (Even our smaller US).

Also, the other scores come into play as well. If your Infrastructure, Population, and Economy are high enough a lack of CT isn't going to matter as much (in fact, the real mandatory scores are Infrastructure and Pop).

Hrm. We could make it a mix of HT and CT, but one's CT score must be a certain number for various thresholds. Will go over it in a bit.

Zor:

I was intending on Focus to reflect all aspects of a service; size, sophistication, and support. That includes equipment.

Also, you can't split the industry bonus in more than one direction. You get +2, you have to use it in one or the other.

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Steve wrote: Also, you can't split the industry bonus in more than one direction. You get +2, you have to use it in one or the other.
Very well

Home Territory-2
Population-3
Colonial assets-1
Industry-4
Economy-4
Infastructure-4
Standing Forces-3-(I want none of that compromised military strength nonsense)
Navy Strength-4 (The seas beong to the empire!)
Army Strength-2+2 Industry boost
Air Force-3

Zor
Last edited by Zor on 2009-10-21 09:40pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Zor, you need at least 12pts(combined) of the top 3 in order to reach Industry 4.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Lonestar wrote:Zor, you need at least 12pts(combined) of the top 3 in order to reach Industry 4.
Industry
0: 30pts/mo, size limit 10kt.
1: 60pts/mo, size limit 20kt
2: 120pts/mo, size limit 40kt (you need at least a total of 6 points in the following fields: population, infrastructure, economy and colonial possession)
3: 150pts/mo, size limit 60kt (you need at least a total of 9 in the above-described fields) + 1 to a focus of your choice
4: 180pts/mo, size limit 60kt (you need at least a total of 12 in the above-described fields with at least a 3 in population and a 3 in infrastructure) + 2 to a focus of your choice
5: 210pts/mo, size limit 60kt (you need at least a total of 15 in the above-described fields with at least a 3 in population and a 4 in infrastructure) + 3 to a focus of your choice
Population-3
Colonial assets-1
Economy-4
Infastructure-4
That equals 12

Zor
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

As I was.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Shinn Langley Soryu wrote:where would that leave people who have minimal or no colonies?
Look at my Russia. It has 0 CT and it's a jolly good state. Mashing up something like that shouldn't be hard. Also, there should be penalties for being a small state in the era of imperialism. One of those penalties is unsurprisingly a lack of advanced/massive industry, for the amassing of capital goes faster if you have a colonial empire or just a large nation to draw resources from.

P.S. Anyone still wants Poland? Slacker is not content with just having the formerly Russia-controlled territories, but if there's a willing player, I might grant them to him.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali