SDN World 3 Commentary Thread I

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Norade
Jedi Council Member

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread I

Post by Norade »

Yeah, the only thing is that I don't really know enough about tanks to build anything realistic and most sources jump from WWI to the early 30's so that gives me little to base new designs around. Though I suppose I could look at 1927 designs and simply scale them back if I get too stuck...
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Fiat 3000, etc. Most 1920s designs didn't stick for long, really. That's because the armies used WWI tanks for quite a bit of time, actually. And tank progress was going rather fast. By 1928, tank projects which result in the early 1930s' series were well underway.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

Stas Bush wrote:My OOB (land forces) has been posted. Any objections?
It looks good, but I'm curious in a nonhostile fashion as to the composition of your 'tank armada'.

Disregard that. I missed your breakdown on my first pass through.
Last edited by Czechmate on 2009-11-12 04:24am, edited 1 time in total.
tiny friendly crab.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

I think I may build off of Fiat's designs, I think a modernized Fiat 2000 could do very well as a modern tank design with the Mark VIII's finally being pushed to the rear. The 3000's wold also be used as well as they are really fitting for the image of a modern tank.

So far I'm seeing my tank brigades using 5 designs:

P/HT1, Based on the Mark VIII, Obsolete and slow, used mainly as stationary bunkers, some have been converted to troop carriers.

P/HT2, this design is more modern than the Fiat 2000 in which it finds its design lineage and has 30mm frontal armor, and 25mm side armor. It uses a 65mm cannon in a turret with a pintle mounted .50 machinegun on a ring for a good field of fire, it would also have a pair of lighter machine guns forward on each side of the driver. It's top speed would be a brisk 18mph and her range an impressive 120 miles.

P/MT1, this design is based off of the Fiat 3000 if she weighed in at closer to 12 tons than 6. She has a maximum armor thickness of 20mm and at her thinnest 10mm, her main gun is a 40mm design and she has a single secondary machine gun on the top of her turret. Her top speed is 20mph and her range is 100 miles.

P/LT1, based off of a modernized Fiat 3000 this tank is armed with dual mounting of 20mm cannons, her armor is at maximum 15mm think and at thinnest is 5mm, she can move at 18mph and has a range of 75 miles.

P/TT1, a tankette originally used for towing light guns and as a mobile machine gun position, she is an older design and is considered out of date for front line duties. Most often this design is used to haul supplies on trailers along the lines or as a scout vehicle not expected to see combat.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I'll be copying Fiat 3000 and building some inter-war tankettes in the late 1920s. In the early 30s I'll have a plethora of stuff to choose from.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Shep, are you in the mood to do any negotiating with regards to the Suez canal? Otherwise, i'll send a similar letter.

Or I am walking into a bunch of lion's teeth.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

One thing: We ought to be allowed to react and act as if we are countries with a history. E.g. if we are dealing with a nation with a history of being dicks or commies or what not we should be allowed to act on that.

EDIT: But, as for the Byzantines, I'm sure that the Shepistanis are going to be reasonable and rational individuals, led by levelheaded and pragmatic people.

EDIT 2: And just for the record the vast bulk of Brazilian shipping is in the Atlantic. I'm not even sure if I have diplomatic connections with Shepistan and the Grand Dominion, probably not though. So hopefully I can ignore this mess.
Last edited by Norseman on 2009-11-12 06:04am, edited 1 time in total.
Norseman's Fics the SD archive of my fics.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Norseman wrote:One thing: We ought to be allowed to react and act as if we are countries with a history. E.g. if we are dealing with a nation with a history of being dicks or commies or what not we should be allowed to act on that.

EDIT: But, as for the Byzantines, I'm sure that the Shepistanis are going to be reasonable and rational individuals, led by levelheaded and pragmatic people.
Sarcasm aside, Byzantine diplomacy has always been typically pragmatic. Making deals with the enemy in exchange for some benefits is not unheard of. Even for ideologically opposite countries.

Otherwise, the Byzantines wouldn't have even bothered talking to the Sassanids or the Muslims for that matter.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Sarcasm aside, Byzantine diplomacy has always been typically pragmatic. Making deals with the enemy in exchange for some benefits is not unheard of.
There's pragmatic and then there's walking in crocodile infested waters, while flapping a steak in the water hoping that they'll be it instead of you.
Norseman's Fics the SD archive of my fics.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Norseman wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Sarcasm aside, Byzantine diplomacy has always been typically pragmatic. Making deals with the enemy in exchange for some benefits is not unheard of.
There's pragmatic and then there's walking in crocodile infested waters, while flapping a steak in the water hoping that they'll be it instead of you.
Like? We have hardly even bothered to lay down any deals on the table.

Though your belligerence is understandable considering what happened the last time.
Kreia
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Shepistan and the OD are militaristic total war nations. That's enough reason to be careful.

Assalti Frontali
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Stas Bush wrote:Shepistan and the OD are militaristic total war nations. That's enough reason to be careful.
Oh sure. But this nonsense in the sea is costing me business which I cannot abide. So unless someone has a better solution, please, show it to me.
Kreia
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Okay, posted the demands. If I misspelled the name of a country of someone, please PM me. Some of you did not give official names iirc, so I just used what I thought was sensible.

No offence is meant, just PM me and I'll quickly correct it.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

Thanas wrote:Okay, posted the demands. If I misspelled the name of a country of someone, please PM me. Some of you did not give official names iirc, so I just used what I thought was sensible.

I'll actually be changing my nation's name to 'Nordic Union' (of Scandinavia), but 'Scandinavia' works well enough. Up to you if you wish to change it.
tiny friendly crab.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Fixed it. :)
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Thanas, is that every nation on earth aside from Shepistan and the Dominion that will embargo them? :lol:
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Minister of Pigeonry
Youngling

Post by Minister of Pigeonry »

Thanas wrote:Okay, posted the demands. If I misspelled the name of a country of someone, please PM me. Some of you did not give official names iirc, so I just used what I thought was sensible.

It's only really the Kingdom of Spain now... but don't change it, makes Spain feel like a real Empire again. :D
Lascaris
Padawan Learner

Post by Lascaris »

Sea Skimmer wrote:An artillery brigade should be a corps level attachment. Another one to three would be found at the Army level; additional ones might be held at the level of army group or more likely allocated to the supreme command to use as strategic assets as army groups usually don’t exist in peacetime. Other then some very short lived Nazi experiments only the Russians ever used artillery divisions and they were Army Group/Front level assets. Post WW2 the ratio was 1 per front though during the war it could be three or four if the front had a major offensive role to play.

Regardless of calibers it was the corps artillery that did most of the heavy lifting in combat, shooting country battery and interdiction missions as well as providing the oomph for major attacks. Divisional level guns primarily fired for missions of only immediate importance to the division, which usually meant some kind of direct support role or call fire. Army level guns basically slotted in alongside the corps weapons.

Keep in mind that however many artillery pieces you have, you are still limited by how much ammo you can produce and how many spare barrels you have (a large portion of total production in war would go into rearming existing guns, because they get worn out and when you fire millions of shells some are bound to explode in the bore and wreck barrels). Huge artillery forces would have lower states of training, and take much longer to equip with radios and motorize. Though of course on the latter two subjects, only the British and US reached a standard of full motorization and full scale implementation of radio based fire control before the end of WW2.
Ok for some simple numbers: The standard French infantry division was 17,500 men with 60 guns. Its German and Polish counterparts both 16,500 men with 48 guns. The Czechs 52 guns. The Italians 44. All sans the Italians were generally organized into 3 infantry and attached artillery regiment.

Now compare to the 15,000 man three brigade standard here. Two solutions. Either you add support brigades and then calculate everything at the brigade level with the infantry and cavalry brigades being just that with no embedded artillery (with a minimum of call it 1 support brigade for every 4 teeth ones).

Alternatively get higher manpower slots per division, 25,000 sounds about right and easy to use and put limits on the max number of artillery brigades relative to divisions, again no more than 1 per 2 or 3 divisions sounds about right given their role as corps and army level assets.
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Okay my naval OoB is posted in an initial form. All the information is correct, but I will be adding data as time permits.

Thanas: the official name of my country is the Blue Sultanate of Sudan.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

I know I haven't been around much(I will rectify that soon.), I've been having some RL problems, that kept me away. I hope to have an OOB and an introduction post ready soon(relatively soon.)

I need to get things finalized and approved by Steve first though.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Given a challenge to the rather comprehensive list of countries that jumped in with Germany so quickly, I'm reducing it to a joint condemnation from France and Germany (given the French president was right there and all) until the point can be argued.

As a point to go with that, this is the 1920s, not the 2000s, joint resolutions would be harder to set up and telegraph and telephone of the era doesn't come close to modern video conferencing and global communication.

That said, if other players want to maintain their condemnation I ask them to post such in-character (if you already have that's fine, though we should probably arrange a timeline to see which ones the German Chancellor could reasonably know of for when that list is reinstated in any form).

As a final note, there is apparently some confusion on whether the Arabian Sea would be logically considered a war zone. Since the Shep-GD naval fighting and such has apparently been ongoing since the war it would stand to reason that most countries would consider it such and some shipping has shifted to avoid the Sea as much as possible (hugging the coast of Africa for instance). A potential boon, admittedly, for Sudan and Madagascar, but it also changes the situation quite a bit. Though certainly there should still be some irritation over the matter since that's a major Europe-Asia trade route and we should see such.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Steve,

Given the time frame (2mo=1year) from when this first became an incident (Nov 10th) you have two days or about 3 weeks in game. That would be more than sufficient time for the Germans to create a note, circulate it to the various embassies in Berlin (who would request instructions via wireless or cable). A response in principle, which is what the note amounts to as it is not a binding treaty, could be returned within a week or so from most nations that are constitutional or absolutist monarchies. The Republican or otherwise representative nations seem less likely to have such a rapid response but again this isn't a treaty.

Since it is a response in principle or, in diplomatic convention, a formal note, none of the participant nations has staked itself to this action in any binding manner. Now that doesn't mean it has no force as a note often preceeds a more formal action BUT there is still a lot of wiggle room on both sides. In other words I think as a "note" and not an ultimatum or even a note with a time limit for a response then Germany certainly had sufficient time to organize the nation grouping it got.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

IIRC, Steve slowed down the starting point for awhile, and we haven't even cleared January yet.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Wilkens, I also declared a time freeze for the first week to permit players a chance to get settled and such, since we have a few - Shinn and Shady for instance - who are currently wrapped up in other things, and quite a few who don't have full OrBats.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Steve wrote:Wilkens, I also declared a time freeze for the first week to permit players a chance to get settled and such, since we have a few - Shinn and Shady for instance - who are currently wrapped up in other things, and quite a few who don't have full OrBats.
Damn missed that, okay yeah then this note should take a hell of a lot longer to get out...my bad.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven