You become a Moon Cop (RAR!)

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Zor
Sith Acolyte

You become a Moon Cop (RAR!)

Post by Zor »

In this scenario you wake up one day in an cubical in a chair, that's strange enough until you notice some of the other things around there. First of all, you feel kind of light. Second of all instead of a mug there is a sealed cup with a straw. Third there is the fact that you are dressed in a blue uniform with black leather shoes, pants with red stripes on the side, a high collared double breasted tunic with gold trimming, a belt with pouches and a holster, white gloves and a custodian helmet. In your pocket is your phone and a badge.On the cubical desk is a bullet proof vest, and above it is a photo with you and fifteen other people in said uniform at a graduation with (in the background past a window) is an Earthscape and a certificate saying that you are sworn member of the Lunagrad Police Service (LPS) with a signed diploma. When you look out of your cubical you see a some other men and woman in the same uniform gliding along in long strides in the low gravity. Among them is a thirty five year old asian woman named Michelle Wong who tells you that your beat shift starts in twenty minutes.

That's right, You're now a Cop on The Moon in the Moon's only City: Lunagrad!

Lunagrad has a population of 60,000 people living in a series of 136 habitat modules (eight of which away from the main city, holding the main smelters and other industrial equipment which produces a lot of heat, three more are currently under construction attached to the main settlement) covering about 16 square kilometers. Most of the population is Canadian, Australian, Japanese, German and French background and rather enjoy living in their new Moon city. Most people speak English. It is self sustaining for food with hydroponic farms growing algae, rice, vegetables and similar with meat being grown from tisuse clusters. There are some parkland on the upper storeys of some of the habitat modules with grass, flowers and bamboo, but mostly people walk through grand hallways and corridors. Much of the internal architecture is done in a Stalinist Style, with lots of images of bold astronauts and workers building a settlement on the moon and celebrating the triumph of humanity in colonizing it. For getting around quickly there is a maglev train making a regular circuit around the city every 20 minutes. There is a small spaceport with a dozen landers which can send supplies and passengers up to a fleet of three transport ships. To keep order there are 128 officers in the LPS, which also has 32 support staff and twelve German Shepards named after the Apollo Program Astronauts.

Your standard police gear includes...
  • The uniform described
  • A Body Camera
  • A LPS Phone
  • A 50cm Truncheon
  • A Stunner: an pistol like electrostatic non lethal weapon able to fire an arc of electricity in a straight line with the range of 20 meters that has the same effect that a taser has on the human nervous system with a six shot battery and four spare battreries. As the Lungagrad constitution bans the private ownership of firearms and everyone goes along with it this is more than sufficient for most cases. The LSP does have firearms, but these are kept locked up unless police chief Judy Kapour authorizes it with each gun having both a tracker and a remote deactivation feature.
  • A pair of binders
  • A mechanical pressure Spacesuit for EVAs
  • A bike.
Your rank is Lance Constable and your role is as a beat cop. Your job is to keep the peace and public order, enforce the law and sort of problems. The book of regulations is in your memory. Most of the folks are decent enough and hold the police in good regard, but there are a few jerks, drunks and assholes. There are a few petty criminals, but nothing organized. Occasionally there will be a domestic dispute or a crime of passion. In a about a month's time tourists will come to Lunagrad. You also do one EVA patrol a week, examining what's going on outside the city. There are moon rovers for that. Senior Constable Michelle Wong is your partner.

If you are married or have children they are on the moon as well. You have an either a 30 or 60 square meter apartment that is well apointed with three months worth of rent paid up. It is possible to send messages to earth and access the internet, but there is a 3 second delay due to the speed of light.

The standard Lunagrad currency is the Selene, which divides into 10 Tsuki. A single Selene will get you a can of soda, four Tsuki would get you tea and a rice doughnut, Eight will get you a vat pork burger with fries, 1,000 will get you a new computer (made with pride On The Moon), an 30 meter apartment will cost 1,200, a 60 square meter apartment costs 2,000, a wooden dinner chair costs 25,000 and 40,000 will get you a ticket on a shuttle going back to earth. Your salary gets you 60,000 Selene a Year after taxes and goes up by 7,500 with every rank you gain (which include Lance Constable, Constable, Senior Constable, Sergeant, Lieutenant, Inspector, Superintendent and Chief of Police). Your current account balance is 3,000 Selene.

What do you do?

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: You become a Moon Cop (RAR!)

Post by Simon_Jester »

Take credit for this development with my wife: "got you that moon vacation you wanted." Though the size of the apartment maaaay be a problem. :(
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

What do I do? Start enforcing MOON LAW, anyone have any issues with that? Out the airlock they go!

Seriously I'm a Moon cop, what am I going to do? Link up with violent Moonite terrorist groups to blow up Lunagrad and escape to Moonpolois? Leave and hunt the great Moon worms of the dark side?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

What kind of government does the moon colony have?
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2017-11-29 03:18am What kind of government does the moon colony have?
There is a mayor who is elected who has a city council from the five districts of Lunagrad and six officials (the chief of police is one of them).

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Zor wrote: 2017-11-29 05:15am
FaxModem1 wrote: 2017-11-29 03:18am What kind of government does the moon colony have?
There is a mayor who is elected who has a city council from the five districts of Lunagrad and six officials (the chief of police is one of them).

Zor
Start submitting resumes for jobs I want as opposed to being Space Mayberry's Barney Fife. Seriously, there has to be better work than chasing after drunk Moonies.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

How much of the moon cops training do I have ?

Yes, I know the regulations. But what about training for things like using the equipment (both police-specific stuff and the stuff everyone on the colony uses), dealing with members of the public or even just knowing my way around ?

What happens to any medical conditions that I'm suffering right now ?

What year is it ?

These questions do influence what me plans would be.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Well, I always was fond of Star Cops...
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

What about your body adopting to moon gravity? You didn't mention that little problem.

There is also the question of, well, is this identity theft?

How select is this job? How good is my income compared to an Earth-based cop?

What are the local politics? Am I in an utopic Soviet Union or what?

EDIT: The scenario doesn't really give you much to do with. Either you accept your new, seemingly decent job as a cop in a novel environment (I'm sure that will get old quickly), or you... what? What CAN you do?

For me, this is actually appealing (assuming I DO get the training along with the regulations and stuff). It seems like a decent job and one that I wouldn'T be opposed to.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

1) Prove the Moon Law Is Flat
2) Get Moonnuts
3) Moonnut exchange with Marscops
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Invite a camera crew from COPS up for a visit.

Then go out on patrol. It's no Star Law, but it's a living.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford