Poll: What's Your favorite ship type?

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Favorite ship type

Brick
14%
Delta
35%
Hammerhead
8%
Sphere
No votes
Cylinder
5%
Cube
No votes
Other
38%

Total votes: 37

Corvus 501
Padawan Learner

Poll: What's Your favorite ship type?

Post by Corvus 501 »

Personally, I prefer either flying bricks, (Halo or Bybalon 5 style) or hammerhead shaped ships. (Honor Harrington or S.M. Stirling's Flight Engineer)
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Re: Poll: What's Your favorite ship type?

Post by Zaune »

I'm not sure precisely what I expected when I clicked on this topic, but this wasn't it.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Corvus 501
Padawan Learner

Post by Corvus 501 »

What's your favorite basic ship type? That's what I'm asking. I'm just curious as to what ship designs people prefer.
SilverDragonRed
Padawan Learner

Post by SilverDragonRed »

Can we get some pictures of the different types? I'm mostly asking 'cause I don't what an good example for the Delta or Hammerhead types is, or what they even look like.
Ah yes, the "Alpha Legion". I thought we had dismissed such claims.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Ships are more than simple geometric shapes. Like, this doesn't even cover, say... the Excelsior from Star Trek. Or Andromeda. Or Moya.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Corvus 501
Padawan Learner

Post by Corvus 501 »

Elheru Aran wrote:Ships are more than simple geometric shapes. Like, this doesn't even cover, say... the Excelsior from Star Trek. Or Andromeda. Or Moya.
I agree, but there is limited space in a poll, so I simplified the question a bit.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

SilverDragonRed wrote:Can we get some pictures of the different types? I'm mostly asking 'cause I don't what an good example for the Delta or Hammerhead types is, or what they even look like.
Delta: Star Destroyers. Hammerhead: The mentioned Honorverse ships and if you don't know those, the Corellian Corvette.

And for more complex shapes there is an 'other' option in the poll.

Personally, I'm rather fond of the classic Starfleet layout-saucer, neck, engineering hull, Warp nacelles on struts. Gives the ships personality.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Cylinder or other, I think, though hammerhead, sphere, and delta have some appeal.

Edit: Actually, in a very strange way, I'd say the TARDIS is one of the prettiest ships in science fiction.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I like delta or wedge configurations, but only when its got cutouts or other details to it - I dislike overly smooth designs.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Personally I love octagons. Give me a flying brick but with an octagonal cross section from all angles and I'll be happy. Especially if it's tessellated with octagons all over. And yes, I know octagons don't tessellate. But so what?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
SilverDragonRed
Padawan Learner

Post by SilverDragonRed »

Batman wrote:Delta: Star Destroyers. Hammerhead: The mentioned Honorverse ships and if you don't know those, the Corellian Corvette.
Thanks for the info, Dark Knight.

Knowing that now, I voted Delta; though I like the design of Nostromo or the Sulaco.
Ah yes, the "Alpha Legion". I thought we had dismissed such claims.
Corvus 501
Padawan Learner

Post by Corvus 501 »

Another good type of hammerhead ship is the Terran ships from Starcraft.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

I have a fondness for the classic atomic rocket finned cigar. You don't see that much these days.

Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Post by Sinewmire »

Flying Cathedral meets Oil tanker?
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Yeah for sheer insanity I'm going with some of the big Imperium ships from 40K, although the random curvy coolness of Commonwealth ships from Andromeda are pretty awesome.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

I now have a soft spot for the UNCF Battleships from Space Battleship Yamato 2199 - it's like a mixture of the cigar and wet navy turreted battleships :D

But in general I like blocky ships with lots of greeblies.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I, however, prefer sleek ships on the whole (an exception is made, as previously noted, for the TARDIS).

Edit: And their are some pretty nice Star Wars ships that are more clunky/angular.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

For functionality?

Spheres, as in the Perry Rhodan version of them.

For beauty and/or soul?
Mark Brandis ships (especially Delta VII) and Andromeda ships.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Ship-shape and Bristol fashion.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Corvus 501
Padawan Learner

Post by Corvus 501 »

Thanas wrote:For functionality?

Spheres, as in the Perry Rhodan version of them.

For beauty and/or soul?
Mark Brandis ships (especially Delta VII) and Andromeda ships.
Spherical ships aren't all that efficient in their use of space. Angular ships tend to be more efficient in that regard.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

:?:

A sphere allows for the greatest amount of space to be used.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

No, and no. I have no fucking clue what an 'angular' ship is supposed to be and no, a sphere does 'not' allow for the greatest amount of space to be used, that would be a 'cube'. What the sphere gives you is the least surface area per volume ratio.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Yeah, that's what I meant.
------------
------------
My LPs
Eleventh Century Remnant
Jedi Council Member

Post by Eleventh Century Remnant »

Spheres are a dangerously poor shape for a spaceship all the way up through plausible mid- into far future; it's only in the far far far future you get to do things like find alternative solutions to the second law of thermodynamics. The basic reason for this is that a sphere will have lots of stuff that can make heat in the middle, limited outside for it to escape through, and the crew and their electronics are probably going to cook to death.

The more powerful your technology is, the bigger a problem this is; doing ship designs for Traveller, I always avoided spheres as if they were toxic, which they were- you run out of outside a lot faster than you run out of inside. Flying bricks look practical but really aren't. To make a big ship you needed to maximise surface area, which meant a big floppy, flappy shape.

Unless you're talking about space opera technology that can just do stuff without worrying about the practical details and may be portrayed as hyperadvanced anyway, what, Perry Rhodan? Oh...carry on then...

Spheres are good as pressure vessels, which means there are a lot of spherical bits of spaceships (fuel and turbopump propellant tanks, etc), but not many sphere shaped entire ships; Venera series and the reentry module for Soyuz is about it.

Spherical is a good shape for future cars; the entire thing as one big rolling ball. Parallel parking would become a thing of the past, accidents would be much less deadly because they could just rebound away. Yay to spherical cars. But not spaceships, which do need to have wings.

Oh, two of the most interesting possible choices for those 'wings' (radiators) are the droplet radiator, which pumps hot liquids out of the ship, lets them fall, catches them again and returns them to the cycle; not practical under varying thrust, but it does mean that an accelerating ship would be surrounded by constant glittering rain of it's own making;
and for a slightly more rigid and possibly combat- viable choice, you'd have capillaries running through sheets of silicon carbide. Which mean that your ship would be gliding on wings of shimmering crystal. Who said human ships are going to be ugly?

At the moment I would have to say my favourite configuration is Orion- shaped. And all right, I'll give you the ugly point on that one. nevertheless, it moves...
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Starglider wrote:I have a fondness for the classic atomic rocket finned cigar. You don't see that much these days.
It is probably because it oddly seems less advanced to most viewers. As a result of the space shuttle, it appears to people that designs that looks somewhat like aircraft are more advanced. The fact that disposable rockets are far more reliable is lost on most people.