Doctor Who S32E8, "Let's Kill Hitler" [spoilers]

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

How do you rate "Let's Kill Hitler?"

5/5
10%
4/5
32%
3/5
28%
2/5
17%
1/5
13%

Total votes: 69

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Doctor Who S32E8, "Let's Kill Hitler" [spoilers]

Post by NecronLord »

Objective Interim Spoiler Policy: All prior episodes of Doctor Who up to and including this one may be discussed without spoilers. Recent EU publications and upcoming episodes must be spoiler tagged and labelled. Previews (as released on BBC, website, etc) of the next episode are not spoilers, nor is speculation derived from them.

Nothing fancy on the poll this week as I didn't think ahead, and to be honest... that title. What?
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Doctor Who S32E8, "Let's Kill Hitler" [spoilers]

Post by Crazedwraith »

OK, I don't like River. So my feelings on this episode... Yeah not good.

There were some amusing sections but they fail to make up for the disjointed nature of the rest of the episode which mainly seems devoted to explain how the River Song = Time Lord crap makes sense. The reverse aging and using up her remaining regenerations stuff.

Eleven's reactions to the RTD companions was a little... weird but then he's never really been shown to interact with any RTD stuff before and he'd been poisoned already so maybe not.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Pretty crap, to honest, the ep was called Let's Kill Hitler, but then er...they spend five seconds actually showing the bastard, then lock him in a cupboard, and forget about Definitely one of the worst episodes so far. Confusing, rushed and messy. Still, series openers are usually weak, so hopefully it'll pick up. I know it wasn't exactly a series opener, but it kind of was :P
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Sharp-kun
Sith Devotee

Post by Sharp-kun »

So Hitler's still in a cupboard at the end? Felt they could have done more with him given that he features in the title, it seemed he was more there for "HITLER LOL!" rather than anything to do with the plot.

The answer to the universe ending question is 42, clearly.
streetad
Padawan Learner

Post by streetad »

This episode embodies one of the major problems with DW - they never give plots adequate time to develop. Everything is loud and frenetic, with lots of running about and throwaway references, then they cram an hour's worth of actual plot into about five minutes. There are good ideas in there and the frustrating thing is you can see the skeleton of a much better show underneath.

Having said that I did enjoy it so have given it a 3.
spooky spice
Redshirt

Post by spooky spice »

I thought it was great fun :)

I like River, and it's been interesting to see her life unfolding.

I wonder was there some purpose to her wanting to kill Hitler? She could have chosen anyone in history...
"Did I not just us the word 'puzzling'?"
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

It was a mess, but at least it was interesting.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

The poll is lacking. It needs a 0/5 option. Terrible episode.

At first I liked River, then I tolerated her. I thought people were over-reacting with all the hate towards her; but this episode has made me loathe her. 'Oh here's a five-minute flashback sequence introducing a character that has never been mentioned before and she's called Melody GEEZ I BET NOBODY WILL SEE THAT ONE COMING FROM HALF A CONTINENT AWAY'. I knew she was going to be River before her name was mentioned; who else but Moffat's personal wank-fantasy would pull a gun on the Doctor in such a smug manner?

Hitler added nothing (except for a comedy German accent). Actually, no, Rory was awesome (as always) when he punched out Hitler; and I guess his presence was necessary to set up the retarded robot villain. On the subject of the villain, I thought they were going to do something interesting when Amy turned off the safety armbands, in that they were going to kill off that friendly bridge guy along with the asshole captain (which could have fed nicely into the 'oh noes teh Doctor turns his companions into weapins' thing from Journey's End, which they seemed to deliberately reference with the wanktastical voice-recognition hologram shit): but no, they pussied out and had the whole crew transmat away.

Did anyone feel any actual suspense over the Doctor's death? To be fair, I didn't predict that they were going to undo it with that PARTICULAR infinitely lame gimmick, but I knew they were going to use one. And River magically knows how to fly the TARDIS? Would it have killed them to have had a short scene with the Doctor saying 'okay, now doohic the thingumabob, no THE THINGAMABOB, not the whatchumacallit!'?

Fuck me. Steven Moffat, you have fallen far.
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

evilsoup wrote:And River magically knows how to fly the TARDIS? Would it have killed them to have had a short scene with the Doctor saying 'okay, now doohic the thingumabob, no THE THINGAMABOB, not the whatchumacallit!'?

Fuck me. Steven Moffat, you have fallen far.
No, River knows how to fly because the TARDIS taught her, which also explains her line last series when she said she was taught "by the very best". Who better than the TARDIS herself.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

Yes, but they didn't fucking show it! A scene of the Doctor half-teaching her how to fly the thing could've been actually entertaining (unlike all the non-Rory bits of this episode), but instead they went for a throwaway line referencing that Neil Gaiman wankfest.
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Going to agree with what others are saying: rushed, confusing, mostly bullshit. Rory was cool because he can't not be cool. Evil River was interesting but they rushed through her development as a character. 2/5 and that's being generous.

Moffat's really lost his touch as a writer, I think.
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

So...

Does this episode explain why Hitler didn't invade Britain and instead of targeting airfields and strategic targets kept bombing London with planes and V2s? He knew the real threat was London's police boxes?
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Giving this episode a three and that's being nice. Getting sick of the Doctor "dying". It is not good drama, it's cringe-worthy garbage.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I didn't like this episode much - too contrived, too many things thrown into the mix, too much rushing around - really, NO opportunity to develop the plot. It was just something thrown together to explain some loose ends, and on top of that would make zero sense to anyone who wasn't up on at least this season. I was disappointed.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Rory, as always, was awesome.

While I enjoyed the Amy realizing Rory was really into her, I didn't like the fact that we didn't know about Mel until now. If she had been in a few previous episodes, it would have been nice.

The idea of a Time Justice department going after past criminals, I liked, and would like to see more of. Too bad they're probably one off 'villains'.

I watched Schindler's List less than two days ago, so I was really hoping for a lot more River kills Nazis carnage.

So all in all, it balanced out and became a 3/5 in my eyes.
Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

Note to Silence: If your ubber anti-Doctor weapon/assassin falls in love with the Doctor, wants to marry him and sacrifices her super powers to save his life ... you may have just fucked up somewhere along the line. Go back to the drawing board and try again.

Seriously, as far as being an anti-Doctor war winning weapon, River doesn't just fail, she manages to go beyond failure and accomplish the exact opposite of her intended purpose. Given that we know the Silence can implant autosuggestions strong enough to control the entire human race, whatever method they employed to brainwash River into being the Doctor's enemy was obviously lacking.

I was cheering the timecops on when they said they wanted to give River hell and kill her. Somehow I doubt Moffat intended his viewers to be rooting for them. At least George Lucas scaled back on Jar Jar when people complained. Are we just not complaining loudly enough for him to hear? Because if he's willing to give us less River shit I'm willing to raise my voice.

What a waste of Hitler. And WWII Germany. We finally get a time travel classic, and it gets thrown in the cupboard and forgotten about in favour of my least favourite character. Hooray. Oh, and anyone want to explain how River managed to get a hold of time lord killing lip balm whilst trapped on Earth and still have it working fine after she regenerated? Actually, never mind, I don't care.

One last thing: Stop pretending you're going to kill the Doctor. No one is buying it, it doesn't create drama, knock it off already.
"And the writers sayeth unto the firmament: let there be a hokey plot convenience! And lo, I sayeth it shall be a curse upon Voyager, and all the people who dwell within, and they shall surely feeleth like a collection of jackasses."
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

Are we just not complaining loudly enough for him to hear? Because if he's willing to give us less River shit I'm willing to raise my voice.
Oh, he hears it all right. It's just he think the reason people don't like her is because he hasn't made her awesome enough yet.

What makes it really frustrating is that it's a great concept for a character, just badly executed. I don't think I have seen a single character in all of television be so useless and act so smug. Honest to god, Gilligan was more competent than she is.

That said, I now have a great idea for a spinoff series where rory gets trapped in 1939 due to a time travel mishap, so he teams up with Indiana Jones to fight the Nazis.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Okay, this one I have to hear. How is Gilligan more competent than River Song?

And honestly, I still do not get all the River Song hate. I personally find her fun, not as much in this episode, as she was in Terminator mode.

Anyone else notice that River called Rory 'Mr. Perfect'? :D
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I gave it 2 out of 5. River is becoming Moffat's Mary Sue, hence my enjoyment is somewhat dependent on whether I like River. Which I don't. If I liked the character, I might have given some leeway into her Mary Suishness (is there such a word?). Anyway, if the pay off at the end of the series is good, it might salvage the season. I am afraid even though some of the episodes are arguably stand alone ones in their own right, they have to be viewed in the whole context of the season. Even if a single episode on its own appears poor, if the season finale is good - that is all the mysteries, loose ends are tied neatly together, then this episode may warrant a better score (since this is an episode used to reveal numerous twists - ie it confirms River is supposed to kill the Doctor in the future, reveals that the Silence is not a species but a religion etc).

If the pay off isn't that great at the end, I may elect not to buy this season on DVD, just like how I didn't buy the Tennant serials, and it seems the only DW DVDs I buy is from the classic series.

EDIT - I am not particularly outraged that despite being called Lets Kill Hitler they only spent a few moments dealing with Hitler, because I don't find Nazi and time travel stories particularly interesting. Its been done to death in the DW EU anyway. I think the title is a great example of one of the better "fake outs", on part with National Geographics "Was Darwin Wrong" title. Its just to get viewers to go WTF is this and watch it.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

2 or 3. It's becoming difficult to judge the episodes because I'm getting used to (but not liking) the way Moffat writes. This episode was actually pretty bog standard when you get right down to it. There was yet another massive time jump at the start of the episode, which gives Moffat free reign to crowbar whatever he wants into the plot, then 15 minutes of hurried set up to get to the scene he wants to write, then 10 minutes of decent charactery sort of stuff, then a hurried resolution.

I don't like River, but I actually found her more interesting in evil mode than she's ever been as previously. I think its a shame that they've partially deprogrammed her and that Spoiler
we know that we're not getting her again till seasons end
, as it would have been good if all the dates she keeps talking about in her diary and we've assumed were romantic encounters were actually attempts by her to kill him over the course of a few more episodes.

I did quite like the fact that the Doctor whispered what was presumably his name to tell River (which makes sense given that she said 'I'm sure she knows' - as in 'that's a bit of an obvious thing to tell someone'), so that the timeline as of silence in the library was sustained. This is also good as it means Moffat is not retconning his original continuity after the universe reboot.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

Revy wrote: What a waste of Hitler. And WWII Germany. We finally get a time travel classic, and it gets thrown in the cupboard and forgotten about in favour of my least favourite character. Hooray. Oh, and anyone want to explain how River managed to get a hold of time lord killing lip balm whilst trapped on Earth and still have it working fine after she regenerated? Actually, never mind, I don't care.
Too late, I'm going to explain it anyway. She didn't have the lipstick on when she regenerated. Remember, she went to "weigh herself" briefly, and then to "check it all out" in another room, while Amy, Rory and the Doctor where in some disbelief, thus giving her the chance to put the poisoned lipstick on out of their LOS.

Issue resolved.

I gave it a 3...It's a mediocre episode, full of the issue Moffat seems to be guilty of, to much stuff going on in one episode. I was amused with the Hitler stuff at the very beggining, and while I'm not a hater of River song, I'm thinking Melody was redeemed way to quickly in this. I'm hoping the later episodes will help resolve some of the mixed feelings of this one.
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
The Guid
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Guid »

I gave it a 5/5 for a few reasons:

1 - I was willing to believe that we had got it wrong on when the Doctor died because Moffat has fucked with us enough before to fully be willing to fuck with us again to the tune of "well now you're double confused."

2 - I like River Song. Why? Because every time she's on screen she pulls some awesome shit. Pretty much like a lot of the people the Doctor hangs around with.

3 - Rory punched Hitler in the face. IN THE FACE!

4 - I, unlike geniuses out there that you are, didn't know what was going to happen in all these situations. If you say you called it earlier, then fine, well done you.
Self declared winner of The Posedown Thread
EBC - "What? What?" "Tally Ho!" Division
I wrote this:The British Avengers fanfiction

"Yeah, funny how that works - you giving hungry people food they vote for you. You give homeless people shelter they vote for you. You give the unemployed a job they vote for you.

Maybe if the conservative ideology put a roof overhead, food on the table, and employed the downtrodden the poor folk would be all for it, too". - Broomstick
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

I'll admit to enjoying the part immediatly post-regen where she pulls a gun, and the Doctor already emptied it. She pulls a banana, because the doctor switched the it for the other gun. She pulls a knife- sonic screwdriver. She goes for the gun he swapped with a banana, he has the clip. That was hilarious and showed off some of the Doctor's better traits.

I swear though, they ripped the poisoned/drugged lipstick trick off of Firefly. How sad to see the Doctor brought low by the same trick once used on Mal Reynolds. And the robot person crewed by tiny men from Meet Dave, which was probably ripped off something else.

He asks the TARDIS for one person whose life he hasn't screwed up, and it shows him Amy, possibly the one person MOST messed up by meeting him? The hell?
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

No, the TARDIS showed him Amelia, not Amy. yes, i know Amy is just Amelia grown up, but it's been shown before that there is a distinction between the two, at least in the Doctor's mind.
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
lordofchange13
Jedi Knight
Location: Kandrakar, the center of the universe and the heart of infinity

Post by lordofchange13 »

The only reason i could tolerate the pill of crap that was this episode, is that it had Rory punching out Nazi's.
"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world - there is only inevitability"
"I consider the Laws of Thermodynamics a loose guideline at best!"
"Set Flamethrowers to... light electrocution"
It's not enough to bash in heads, you also have to bash in minds.
Tired is the Roman wielding the Aquila.