John McClane vs Indiana Jones

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Srelex
Jedi Master

John McClane vs Indiana Jones

Post by Srelex »

Put simply, which movie hero has demonstrated the greater performance in human endurance and feats? We can discount the fridge incident for Indy if that makes it fairer.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Formless
Sith Marauder

Re: John McClane vs Indiana Jones

Post by Formless »

Even without the atomic bomb scene, Indiana Jones is still superhuman by any definition. Consider: in the very first movie, he managed to hold onto a submerged german u-boat while it dragged him all the way to the island where the Ark of the Covenant was. Even an hour of holding onto that sub would take more endurance than any real human being could ever manage. I don't know for sure, but I don't think John McClane has any feat comparable under his belt.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Early German U-boats weren't capable of staying underwater for prolonged periods, in some cases being actually faster on the surface, and we never saw it dive. Clinging to a pitching deck with no railings or safety line for a period of several hours still counts though.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Especially in the freezing waters of the sea in little more than tropical wear. It is so totally outrageous, but the movie brushed over it with a scene transition unlike the sheer in you faceness of the refrigerator scene.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

I could have sworn we saw Indy in the sub a bit later in a uniform. Oh well.

In any event, Dr. Jones has survived supernatural events....
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

I say just pair the two and set them loose in Berlin to knock German heads, we'll call it Inglorious Basterds II.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Agent Sorchus wrote:Especially in the freezing waters of the sea in little more than tropical wear. It is so totally outrageous, but the movie brushed over it with a scene transition unlike the sheer in you faceness of the refrigerator scene.
He was in the Mediterranean, would the water have been that cold?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

adam_grif wrote:You'd have to make that Inglorious Bastards 3, actually.

Also, why is this in SciFi?
How does a 404 fit in this thread? :)

As for the OP, I side with IJ.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Well, Indy at least is sorta scifi as of KOTCS. :)
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

Post by ANGELUS »

Solauren wrote:I could have sworn we saw Indy in the sub a bit later in a uniform.
He wasn't on the sub anymore during the uniform scene. The Sub had already docked on the island by that time.

Anyway... Indy was 58 years old by the time of The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and he's still runing around, using his whip to jump into moving vehicles and beating the crap out of russian soldiers that might very well be 30 years younger than him. Also, let's not forget that he was able to reist Spalko's mind reading powers (and as requested, not including the fridge scene).

On the other hand... John was 52 years old by the time of Live Free or Die Hard and he was also runing around beating people, bringing down helicopters using cars, and taking lots and lots of punishment.

This is a tough call... Both of them can take inhuman ammounts of punishment even on their old age, but I side with Indy.
~ Some men just want to watch the world burn ~
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

McClane has often fallen against hard solid surfaces from not-inconsiderable heights (e.g. the aircraft wing in Die Harder, falling thirty feet into the metal deck of a ship in Vengeance)--and often simply gets up and is hopping around within moments. Does that count for anything?
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

Enigma wrote:

How does a 404 fit in this thread? :)

As for the OP, I side with IJ.
This one should work.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

I'd have to go with McClane, because he's far more violent than Indy. There's advantages to not having a PG rating.
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

McClaine's pretty good at dealing with improvised situations, while Indy is good at besting traps designed to intentionally kill people.

McClaine has faced terrorists and paramilitary criminal types, whereas Indy has faced pretty much the gamut of the Third Reich (Ground troops, Luftwaffe and Navy as well as various SS agents). He's also faced Soviet special forces. I'd say the class, quality, number, and resources Indy has faced far outstrips the limited forces arrayed against McClaine. Add to that the Wrath of God, mental powers, aliens, crumbling buildings, I'd say that Indy has faced far more significant threats and walked away.

So, going by the difficulties faced & quantity, quality & type of adversaries bested, I have to give this to Indy.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!