Doctor Who SE30E05: The Poison Sky [Spoilers]

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Episode Rating

22%
41%
25%
3%
9%

Total votes: 32

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Doctor Who SE30E05: The Poison Sky [Spoilers]

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

You know the drill. Let's see if the good Doctor can break a glass window to save a life, or whether the whole Sontaran strategy really is something more than WWI gas attacks on a larger scale.
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

Much better than last week.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Pretty good. The Doctor's reaction the gas masks was awesome. And it was nice to see UNIT kick some ass. And the Valiant mounts a Superlaser? :D
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Holy shit!

But to the episode at hand. It's nice to see that Donna's mother has sense. It's a trick, get an axe.

The mentioning of The Brigadier was nice, too bad we won't see him though, but UNIT did have some competence. Using the Valiant was a nice move, especially with the Death Star laser weapon it had fitted (or maybe Saxon put that on, but then London does have its own for orbital attack). Are you my mummy?

Bleurgh to the stupid Sontaran weakness and ironic glory of battle (LOL, only when your enemy can't fight back though).

I imagine I wasn't the only one to see Rose flash briefly on the TARDIS' monitor either. It's got to be her behind the event at the end of the episode.

And I expect the world forgets all about this latest in a long line of Armageddon false alarms. Still, may have the benefit of us driving less. :lol:
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

10/10 for bad science today. Atmospheres do not work that way!

I was really hoping the Sontarans wouldn't fuck Rattigan over, though. That was tediously predictable.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

Wayhay! The Valiant has laserbeams. :)

I saw Rose briefly on screen screaming (that nobody noticed).

Bizarrely North Korea subscribes to UNIT's planetary nuclear defences. :)
Check out TREKWARS (not involving furries!)

EVIL BRIT CONSPIRACY: Son of York; bringing glorious summer to the winter of your discontent.

KNIGHTS ASTRUM CLADES: I am a holy knight! Or something rhyming with knight, anyway...
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Admiral Valdemar wrote: I imagine I wasn't the only one to see Rose flash briefly on the TARDIS' monitor either. It's got to be her behind the event at the end of the episode.
I assumed it was more to do with what was revealed at the end of the preview. After: If she's his daughter she might have some kind of genetic link recall device thingie. WE saw several significant shots of the Doctor's svered hand hooked up to the TARDIS after all
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:ironic glory of battle (LOL, only when your enemy can't fight back though).
Huh? The junior Sontaran seemed to enjoy getting shot in the face. Possibly the 'face me' moment.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

NecronLord wrote:10/10 for bad science today. Atmospheres do not work that way!

I was really hoping the Sontarans wouldn't fuck Rattigan over, though. That was tediously predictable.
That, and the burning off of that much gas = asphyxiation. I'm sure the world's biggest fuel-air bomb wouldn't be appreciated by the Sontarans, though it would get rid of the humans and just about every other living thing.

I'm thinking Rose has gotten into the TARDIS somehow though.
NecronLord wrote:Huh? The junior Sontaran seemed to enjoy getting shot in the face. Possibly the 'face me' moment.
Only after their little plan to walk all over the humans was quashed. He said himself it was more like "sport" than warfare. Hardly befitting of an honourable soldier bred species.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:That, and the burning off of that much gas = asphyxiation. I'm sure the world's biggest fuel-air bomb wouldn't be appreciated by the Sontarans, though it would get rid of the humans and just about every other living thing.
It's obviously not fire. It's friggin magic.
Only after their little plan to walk all over the humans was quashed. He said himself it was more like "sport" than warfare. Hardly befitting of an honourable soldier bred species.
Just because they're an 'honourable soldier' race, doesn't mean they can't be cunts.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

After The reference to the Empty Child, I was half expected that to declared that it wasn't war... it was Pest Control!

I didn't quite get the conversation between the Doctor and Martha, and didn't see last week. How long had she been a clone? And was the Martha that guested in Torchwood a clone? THe Doctor made a reference to having to fool Captain Jack.
Jade Falcon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jade Falcon »

Lord Woodlouse wrote:Bizarrely North Korea subscribes to UNIT's planetary nuclear defences. :)
And unless I'm mistaken, Russia doesn't. :)
Don't Move you're surrounded by Armed Bastards - Gene Hunt's attempt at Diplomacy

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own - Number 6

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.
Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

Jade Falcon wrote:
Lord Woodlouse wrote:Bizarrely North Korea subscribes to UNIT's planetary nuclear defences. :)
And unless I'm mistaken, Russia doesn't. :)
Aye, that was slightly unusual. India, Pakistan and North Korea... but no Russia? How peculiar. :)

EVIL BRIT CONSPIRACY: Son of York; bringing glorious summer to the winter of your discontent.

KNIGHTS ASTRUM CLADES: I am a holy knight! Or something rhyming with knight, anyway...
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

Well, it was a damned sight better than that Dalek mess last season if nothing else. Bit predictable in spots - Rattigan - but I did enjoy it overall and it was kinda nice to see the humans not get turned into a bloody smear on the wall in a fight for a change.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

I wonder why Russia wasn't in the nuclear attack. Unless the UN were holding their weapons as reserve.
El Moose Monstero
Moose Rebellion Ambassador
Location: The Cradle of the Rebellion... Oop Nowrrth, Like...

Post by El Moose Monstero »

I actually enjoyed most of this episode; but once again, another magical reset button preserves Earth in almost exactly the same condition it started in. I'm getting just a teensy bit sick of "magic plot device barely referenced saves life as we know it".

Kind of overshadows most of the episode for me really, I always feel a bit cheated when this sort of reset shit is pulled. That's not really Doctor Who's fault, but it's becoming such a tired old cliche and I'd had enough of the reset button by the end of ST:VOY, and after four series of magic reset button central on Doctor Who, it's a bit stale for me.

Certainly an improvement on last week, but so far my favourite episode of this series is still the Vesuvius one.
"...a fountain of mirth, issuing forth from the penis of a cupid..." ~ Dalton / Winner of the 'Frank Hipper Most Horrific Drag EVAR' award - 2004 / The artist formerly known as The_Lumberjack.

Evil Brit Conspiracy: Token Moose Obsessed Kebab Munching Semi Geordie
The Guid
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Guid »

Aye not a bad one and I felt the explanations were fair enough for me. I like the way that UNIT became half competent, even though what they did was actually fairly insignificant really.

Just once I want to see an enemy actually take the Doctor's offer - its starting to look like a really stupid thing to go and offer them a deal.

I'll actually go ahead and say that this episode made up a little bit for the rather silly ideas in the set up.
Self declared winner of The Posedown Thread
EBC - "What? What?" "Tally Ho!" Division
I wrote this:The British Avengers fanfiction

"Yeah, funny how that works - you giving hungry people food they vote for you. You give homeless people shelter they vote for you. You give the unemployed a job they vote for you.

Maybe if the conservative ideology put a roof overhead, food on the table, and employed the downtrodden the poor folk would be all for it, too". - Broomstick
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

They actually had some callback this time, though. Which I liked. It's not really a reset - lots of people died, and the same status quo exists; smart people know about aliens, but can't do much about it, idiots don't care...

I didn't like how useless Sontaran Armour turned out to be, though.

I'd rather they doled out Torchwood's particle guns.

"You have bullets! The Sontarans have lasers..." "We have particle guns too... Sergeant Major! Deal them out!"
Lord Woodlouse
Mister Zaia

Post by Lord Woodlouse »

NecronLord wrote:They actually had some callback this time, though. Which I liked. It's not really a reset - lots of people died, and the same status quo exists; smart people know about aliens, but can't do much about it, idiots don't care...

"You have bullets! The Sontarans have lasers..." "We have particle guns too... Sergeant Major! Deal them out!"
Maybe they're using bastic bullets or summin? :)

The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Lord Woodlouse wrote:
NecronLord wrote:They actually had some callback this time, though. Which I liked. It's not really a reset - lots of people died, and the same status quo exists; smart people know about aliens, but can't do much about it, idiots don't care...

Maybe they're using bastic bullets or summin? :)
No, no mention of that. Bloody ridicolous how easily the Sontarans went down, I was all set up for them slaughtering UNIT troops by the score, and somehow UNIt troops suddenly get a superior kill ratio against "The finest soldiers in the universe" while using bloody rifles and no trickery :(
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Apart from them not mentioning how Atmos was turned off - or did I miss that? - I really liked it. The mid-series two-parters tend to suck in the second half, but this one fortunately didn't. Even the cliché bits with Rattigan sorta worked, especially when Staal stopped his silly little war dance.

And airships rock.

Next week, Daughter Who? The hell?
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Bounty wrote:Apart from them not mentioning how Atmos was turned off - or did I miss that? - I really liked it. The mid-series two-parters tend to suck in the second half, but this one fortunately didn't. Even the cliché bits with Rattigan sorta worked, especially when Staal stopped his silly little war dance.

And airships rock.

Next week, Daughter Who? The hell?
The original series of Dr.Who (Series 1) had him travelling with his (human?) grand-daughter, Susan. It's been ignored (along with whetehr he's a half human) for a loooong time. But should be interesting.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

I know about that. It's the fact he seems to be surprised to see her. Plus, unless there's time-foolery going on, his new "daughter" can't be Susan's mom - the actress if only 24, too young to have a teenage kid.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Bounty wrote:I know about that. It's the fact he seems to be surprised to see her. Plus, unless there's time-foolery going on, his new "daughter" can't be Susan's mom - the actress if only 24, too young to have a teenage kid.

Timefoolery with the grand-daughter of a Timelord. From the old days, back when paradoxes could be dealt with. Nope, no way that could happen :P .

It could be a seperate character though, no reason the old Doctor couldn't have "Sown his oats" frequently back in his younger first incarnation days, before becoming abstinant for some reason :P .

Oh, and why do I have the feeling that there's going to be more eye-candy than Captain Jack keeps in his pocket with the aerobic bi blonde? ;).
Photography
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Bounty wrote:I know about that. It's the fact he seems to be surprised to see her. Plus, unless there's time-foolery going on, his new "daughter" can't be Susan's mom - the actress if only 24, too young to have a teenage kid.
One word: Regeneration