Terry Goodkind Political Genius & Brilliant Writer!

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Terry Goodkind Political Genius & Brilliant Writer!

Post by Norseman »

I was just now reading Terry Goodkind, or about Terry Goodkind, and I came to understand that we can apply his wisdom to so many fields! That's right I found something I thought I should share, with you, aren't you glad?

I present you with a series of quotes from his books, which according to the man himself:
When I write, I'm presenting a view of reality in which I base what I do on the ultimate value, which is life.

When you buy a book, you are spending money to buy it. You must decide if the book is worth that amount of money. The answer is based on everything that you could spend your money on, how much money you have, everything available to you, what you need to spend the money on, and a number of other things. Then you may decide "yes I want to buy this book."

But you are doing something far more valuable -in the realm of thinking, in the realm of ideas, in the realm of values. Those things are measurable, too. They are measured by time. That's one reason there is a sundial on the cover of this book. The gnomon that the male statue is holding casts a shadow on the sundial to tell you how much time has passed in the day -how much of your life is gone, how much is left.
So you know that he takes his books quite seriously, very seriously in fact, as seriously as his idol Ayn Rand treated her books!

So without further ado lets look at how Hippies and War Protestors should be treated:
Naked Empire wrote:They raced out from the long shadows of the buildings and poured around the corner. The people off at the end of the street all turned when they spotted Richard's force coming. More people--men and women from the city--surged into the street in front of the compound of buildings the soldiers had taken up as barracks and a command post. The people looked like a scraggly lot.

"No war! No war! No war!" the people shouted as Richard led the men up the street at a dead run.

"Out of the way!" Richard yelled as he closed the distance. This was no time for subtlety or discussions: the success of their attack depended in large part on speed. "Get out of the way! This is your only warning! Get out of the way or die!"

"Stop the hate! Stop the hate!" the people chanted as they locked arms.
They had no idea how much hate was raging through Richard. He drew the Sword of Truth. The wrath of its magic didn't come out with it, but he had enough of his own. He slowed to a trot.

"Move!" Richard called as he bore down on the people.

A plump, curly-haired woman took a step out from the others. Her round face was red with anger as she screamed. "Stop the hate! No war! Stop the hate! No war!"

"Move or die!" Richard yelled as he picked up speed.

The red-faced woman shook her fleshy fist at Richard and his men, leading an angry chant. "Murderers! Murderers! Murderers!"

On his way past her, gritting his teeth as he screamed with the fury of the attack begun, Richard took a powerful swing, lopping off the woman's head and upraised arm. Strings of blood and gore splashed across the faces behind her even as some still chanted their empty words. The head and loose arm tumbled through the crowd. A man mad the mistake of reaching for Richard's weapon, and took the full weight of a charging thrust.
Men behind Richard hit the line of evil's guardians with unrestrained violence. People armed only with their hatred for moral clarity fell bloodied, terribly injured, and dead. The line of people collapsed before the merciless charge. Some of the people, screaming their contempt, used their fists to attack Richard's men. They were met with swift and deadly steel.

At the realization that their defense of the Imperial Order's brutality would actually result in consequences to themselves, the crowd began scattering in fright, screaming curses back at Richard and his men.
Ah yes we got some real moral clarity there! After all the only moral thing you can do with such people is mow them down! Can't twap them with the flat of your blade, or ride through'em, nope, you got to hate them and slaughter'em! The scoundrels!

If only Richard Rahl was in charge of crowd control eh?

But what do you do with a difficult eight year old princess?
Wizards First Rule wrote:Princess Violet glared at him. "My mother says that Confessor Kahlan will come back and that we'll have a surprise for her the next time she comes here. I just want you to know because my mother said you'll be dead by then. My mother says I get to decide what to do to her. First, I'm going to cut off her hair. "Her hands were in fists, her face red. "Then i'm going to let all the guards rape her, every one! Then I'm going to put her in the dungeon for a few years so they'll have someone to play with! Then when I get tired of hurting her, I'll have her head chopped off and put it on a pole where I can watch it rot!"

Richard actually felt sorry for the little Princess. The sadness for her came over him in a wave. At that feeling, he was surprised to feel the thing in him that had come awake rise up.

Princess Violet squeezed her eyes shut, stuck her tongue out far as she could.

It was like a red flag.

The strength of the awakened power exploded through him.

He could feel her jaw shatter like a crystal goblet on a stone floor when his boot came up under it. The impact of the blow lifted the Princess into the air. Her own teeth severed her tongue before they, too, shattered. She landed on her back, a good distance away, trying to scream through the gushing blood.
Aaaaah, we would be lost in a land of altruistic immorality if not for the Objective Truth and Morality that Richard Rahl promotes!

Gentlecreatures... I give you a man who makes our Shep look like a political moderate!

Let me finish by letting the man himself speak again:
Terry Goodkind wrote:The theme of FAITH OF THE FALLEN is the role of free will in man’s existence — the abstract concept of the importance of freedom to man’s existence. The plot is the battle for individual liberty in a altruistic-driven collectivist society. The concretes of Richard’s struggle make the abstract concept understandable and clear. (And because it is so clear it enrages those who want to cloud the issue so as to champion altruism; the naked hate they exhibit and vicious methods they use only go to prove the book’s point that altruism breeds force and brutality and produces only suffering.)
LORD! I love the American Political system, especially the more American parts of it, to quote Seinfeld "It's like walking in the Jungle, you never know what you're going to find, and you're afraid."

Yes he just condemned ALTRUISM, and why? Because he's an Objectivist, or rather he's a Randite, a follower of the Ugly Dwarf in Drag who felt smoking was more rational than not, that Mickey Spillane was a better writer than Shakespeare, and that all the worlds troubles come from people being too altruistic and keen to sacrifice themselves for the benefit of others...

Oh yes, that's what's wrong with the world, people thinking too little of themselves, and too much of others...

For links to more quotes you can always check out The Goodkind Parodies but you know it got to be difficult to parody this.

And if you want a more elaborate description of this philosophy then here's John Galts speech.
Norseman's Fics the SD archive of my fics.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Terry Goodkind is a self absorbed wanker, news at ten.
Tatterdemalion
Padawan Learner

Post by Tatterdemalion »

Don't forget the appearance of the most evil chicken in the universe!

But yeah toture, murder and general sadism are a-ok just so long as you're not a filthy little altruist.
Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

Tatterdemalion wrote:Don't forget the appearance of the most evil chicken in the universe!
No no no! This is even worse! A chicken that isn't a chicken!
Hissing, hackles lifting, the chicken's head rose.

Kahlan pulled back.

Its claws digging into stiff dead flesh, the chicken slowly turned to face her. It cocked its head, making its comb flop, its wattles sway.

"Shoo," Kahlan heard herself whisper.

There wasn't enough light, and besides, the side of its beak was covered with gore, so she couldn't tell if it had the dark spot. But she didn't need to see it.

"Dear spirits, help me," she prayed under her breath.

The bird let out a slow chicken cackle. It sounded like a chicken, but in her heart she knew it wasn't. In that instant, she completely understood the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken. This looked like a chicken, like most of the Mud People's chickens. But this was no chicken.

This was evil manifest.
Companion Cube
Biozeminade!

Post by Companion Cube »

Some of these are spot-on. :)
Richard's companion in the jail cell was a large, burly, muscular man covered in tattoos. His bulging muscles rippled as he flexed his muscular, tattooed arms.

"Right, pretty boy, it's your lucky day" said the man. Richard wasn't worried, though, as rape was just an exciting thing that happened to women, and they enjoyed it really, and the good girls always got rescued at the last minute after some titillating nakedness and foreplay. Besides, his sword used to belong to some good fighters so he must have picked up some skills from that, right?

Right?
And when I'm sad, you're a clown
And if I get scared, you're always a clown
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

I like his descriptions of the action scenes, very violent, very bloody, not sanitized like some TV shows and movies today. I like the descriptions. Cred where cred be due.

But yeah he's a fucker for the most part, in terms of his "moral" ( :roll: ) beliefs. Altruism is t3h b@D!!1! :roll:
Kanye West Saves.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

To be fair, that eight year old princess was quite willing to advocate if not outright order the rapes of people and participated in the torture of dissidents. Don't shed any sympathy for her because she gets a good beating. She is most probably a sociopath.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
eyl
Jedi Knight

Post by eyl »

mr friendly guy wrote:To be fair, that eight year old princess was quite willing to advocate if not outright order the rapes of people and participated in the torture of dissidents. Don't shed any sympathy for her because she gets a good beating. She is most probably a sociopath.
A good beating? Read the description again - this is a maiming, not a spanking.
Ar-Adunakhor
Jedi Knight

Post by Ar-Adunakhor »

eyl wrote:
mr friendly guy wrote:To be fair, that eight year old princess was quite willing to advocate if not outright order the rapes of people and participated in the torture of dissidents. Don't shed any sympathy for her because she gets a good beating. She is most probably a sociopath.
While I'm by no means a fan of Goodkind, that little girl was actively torturing (with a device of indescribable pain) Richard at the time. There are very good examples of his horrible morality, but this is not one of them.
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

I love this one
The Goodkind Parodies: Goodkind and the Bible wrote:'A certain man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he fell among robbers, who both stripped him and beat him, and departed, leaving him half dead. By chance a certain priest was going down that way. When he saw him, he passed by on the other side. In the same way a Levite also, when he came to the place, and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a certain Samaritan, as he traveled, came where he was. When he saw him, he was moved with compassion, came to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring on oil and wine.

The man rose up, and declared "Lo, your mercy to me displays your weakness!" His naked chest did heave manfully, as he dispatched the peace-loving do-gooder with a single blow.'
General Soontir Fel
Padawan Learner

Re: Terry Goodkind Political Genius & Brilliant Writer!

Post by General Soontir Fel »

Norseman wrote:Yes he just condemned ALTRUISM, and why? Because he's an Objectivist, or rather he's a Randite, a follower of the Ugly Dwarf in Drag who felt smoking was more rational than not, that Mickey Spillane was a better writer than Shakespeare, and that all the worlds troubles come from people being too altruistic and keen to sacrifice themselves for the benefit of others...

Oh yes, that's what's wrong with the world, people thinking too little of themselves, and too much of others...
What? Ayn Rand thought smoking was rational? I understand the opposition to anti-smokng laws, but rational? That you have the right to do something stupid does not make it any less stupid.
Jesse Helms died on the 4th of July and the nation celebrated with fireworks, BBQs and a day off for everyone. -- Ed Brayton, Dispatches from the Culture Wars

"And a force-sensitive mandalorian female Bountyhunter, who is also the granddaughter of Darth Vader is as cool as it can get. Almost absolute zero." -- FTeik
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

eyl wrote:
The little bitch still deserved it. Like Ar-Adunakhor said, there are very good examples of his horrible morality, but this is not one of them.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

A bunch of years back I talked with someone who worked for Goodkind's publishing company. At the time he was insisting that his books be thicker than Robert Jordan's.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:I like his descriptions of the action scenes, very violent, very bloody, not sanitized like some TV shows and movies today. I like the descriptions. Cred where cred be due.
By sociopaths, for sociopaths?
18-Till-I-Die wrote:But yeah he's a fucker for the most part, in terms of his "moral" ( :roll: ) beliefs. Altruism is t3h b@D!!1! :roll:
And yet you've apparently read it. Fascinating.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

I had a look at the blog, and I have to say some of its criticisms leave out certain details to make Goodkinds characters look more bad than usual. For example.
At one stage, Kahlan has to lead an small army in a fight against a large one, in winter. Her cunning plan is to have all the soldiers strip naked and paint themselves white, so the enemy will think they are ghosts. Surprisingly, this works. All deserters who were given the option to leave before the battle are later tracked down and killed.
Ignoring for a fact that the leader of the deserters confessed under magic he was planning to lead them over to the enemy and betray Kahlan's army.
One of Kahlan's previous Confessor-power victims was an innocent man, so he is magically transformed into a wolf. So everything's all right in the end.
That is utterly deceiving. Confessors are used to make people tell the truth because they fall in love with the confessor and will do anything she says. The effect is permanent.

The victim requested a confessor come so he could prove his innocence. He is a victim, but not of the confessor's power, rather of the people / system which accused him in the first place.

And on another note, the Imperial Orders constant yammering of how we are all sinful, yada yada yada would make them more closer to Christianity during the crusades than Islam, or the very least say they are a weird mixture of communism and the Abrahamic religions.

And on the second note, while Goodkind is ripping off Ayn Rand, where did his characters go to the extent that altruism is bad. Richard is willing to sacrifice for Kahlan and vice versa, which makes it the opposite. Unless you guys are going on about how Richard doesn't want to help people who don't want his help.

dworkin
Jedi Master

Post by dworkin »

Wait, this is the series where the bad guy gets introduced as Darkhan Rahl?

I remember reading this and immediatly felt sorry for the guy. With a name like that you just haven't got many career options.

Darkhan Rahl the cobbler?
Darkhan Rahl the cooper?
Darkhan Rahl the baker?

Nope, sorry bud, but the only way to live with yourself is to learn some dark magic. Or just fess up that your real name is Andrew and give up the goth poetry.
Don't abandon democracy folks, or an alien star-god may replace your ruler. - NecronLord
darthbob88
Jedi Knight

Post by darthbob88 »

dworkin wrote:Wait, this is the series where the bad guy gets introduced as Darkhan Rahl?

I remember reading this and immediatly felt sorry for the guy. With a name like that you just haven't got many career options.

Darkhan Rahl the cobbler?
Darkhan Rahl the cooper?
Darkhan Rahl the baker?

Nope, sorry bud, but the only way to live with yourself is to learn some dark magic. Or just fess up that your real name is Andrew and give up the goth poetry.
the same Darken Rahl who read still-warm human entrails to get his answers. Must have been a nice guy.
This message approved by the sages Anon and Ibid.
Any views expressed herein are my own unless otherwise noted, and very likely wrong.
I shave with Occam's Razor.
Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

General_Soontir_Fel wrote:
Norseman wrote:Yes he just condemned ALTRUISM, and why? Because he's an Objectivist, or rather he's a Randite, a follower of the Ugly Dwarf in Drag who felt smoking was more rational than not, that Mickey Spillane was a better writer than Shakespeare, and that all the worlds troubles come from people being too altruistic and keen to sacrifice themselves for the benefit of others...

What? Ayn Rand thought smoking was rational? I understand the opposition to anti-smokng laws, but rational? That you have the right to do something stupid does not make it any less stupid.
Well I found this quote in a lot of places:
For Rand, smoking was a Promethean symbol of creativity, inventiveness, profit-making, all she most admired: ‘When a man thinks, there is a spot of fire alive in his mind – and it is proper that he should have the burning point of a cigarette as his one expression,’ one of the goodies explains in Atlas Shrugged.
And yes she died of lung cancer.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Is it me, or are there just a ton of so called "fantasy" writers for adults who seem obsessed with injecting some sort of morality/ethics/viewpoint/agenda into theri stories? Goodkind is the worst of them, but I've noticeed alot of other writers do this as well. (Jordan, for all his micromanaging in minutae, manages to avoid being as mind numbingly pompous as Goodkind does.)

Another (but somewhat more bearable) example of this might be Robert Newcomb and his obsession with "blood" and genetics crap.

Amusingly, I have noticed that some of the "younger" fantasy tends to be alot more "fantasy" than the adult stuff. anyone ever read any of Garth Nix's work?
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Connor MacLeod wrote:Is it me, or are there just a ton of so called "fantasy" writers for adults who seem obsessed with injecting some sort of morality/ethics/viewpoint/agenda into theri stories? Goodkind is the worst of them, but I've noticeed alot of other writers do this as well. (Jordan, for all his micromanaging in minutae, manages to avoid being as mind numbingly pompous as Goodkind does.)
I've noticed this myself, and it *seriously* detracts from the fiction for me. When I can read a chapter and think 'x did y because it's a great big symbol of the author's political/social/ethical beliefs' that's both pulling me out of the story and making it stunningly predictable, uninspired storytelling. I agree with your example - Jordan might suck, but at least he doesn't suck while trying to tell you how the world should work (whether it's rape, Randians, hating brown people or whatever).

It's *exactly* like fanfics where some nerd wrote a story about his vs arguments or something. You *know* everything that happens is simply an attempted vindication of the nerd's beliefs, and that totally sours the actual story for me.
Connor MacLeod wrote:Amusingly, I have noticed that some of the "younger" fantasy tends to be alot more "fantasy" than the adult stuff. anyone ever read any of Garth Nix's work?
Actual 'fantastic' fantasy is quite rare compared to 'politicised D&D'. I haven't read any kids fantasy in decades, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was different - after all, the nerd wish-fulfillment nature of adult fantasy is simply a result of the market.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

eyl wrote:A good beating? Read the description again - this is a maiming, not a spanking.
The girl was talking about how she was going to have a woman raped sevrely, then raped on and off over a course of years. Princess Violet needed that boot in the face. If Richard wasn't such a general wanker I'd applaud him for it, because it was hilarious.
anyone ever read any of Garth Nix's work?
Quite a lot of it. I personally think that Nix is a talented writer.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Norseman wrote:And yes she died of lung cancer.
According to wiki (so take it with a pinch of salt), while she had lung cancer she survived it. She ended up dead from heart failure.

Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

Stark explained brilliantly my contempt for the fantasy genre at large. It's actually why I prefer young adult fantasy in a lot of cases. It's terrible, but it least it stays away from writing about Ge'ourj Du-bayau Bhues' victory in the Qari War or whatever. Fucking ridiculous.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
dworkin
Jedi Master

Post by dworkin »

darthbob88 wrote:the same Darken Rahl who read still-warm human entrails to get his answers. Must have been a nice guy.
If you say so, I only got to page 3. Still, that's what evil necromancer types do. If his name was Andrew, he would of been a butcher and the only predictions he'ld make with entrails is how many sausages this pig would make.
Don't abandon democracy folks, or an alien star-god may replace your ruler. - NecronLord
darthbob88
Jedi Knight

Post by darthbob88 »

dworkin wrote:
darthbob88 wrote:the same Darken Rahl who read still-warm human entrails to get his answers. Must have been a nice guy.
If you say so, I only got to page 3. Still, that's what evil necromancer types do. If his name was Andrew, he would of been a butcher and the only predictions he'ld make with entrails is how many sausages this pig would make.
I did read the entire first book, but I used wikipedia to find that out. Fortunately for me, my brain shut out the stupidity shortly after I read the book.
This message approved by the sages Anon and Ibid.
Any views expressed herein are my own unless otherwise noted, and very likely wrong.
I shave with Occam's Razor.