Star Wars: 2015

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Havok
Miscreant

Star Wars: 2015

Post by Havok »

This is just a thread about the newly announced movie.

Let us join in the long standing fascinating tradition of guessing what the movie will be about?

Will it be Episode 7?

Will they recast Luke Skywalker and the rest of the crew?

Will it be something entirely new and what might that be?

NO EU BULLSHIT!! If you can't help yourself, go start your own fucking thread.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Saxtonite
Padawan Learner

Re: Star Wars: 2015

Post by Saxtonite »

"Opps, wanted to add; wasn't there a study about how really smart people lead shitty lives socially? I vaguely remember something about it, so correct me if I'm wrong. Frankly, I'm of the opinion that I'd rather let the new Newton or new Tesla lead a better life than have him have a shitty one and come up with apple powered death rays."
-Knife, in here
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

If they reuse the OT characters, it's going to be animation with perhaps the original actors providing the voices, because if they try recasting the original cast for a live action movie there's going to be a civil war.
Frankly I doubt it's going to be anything completely new because they're doing it for the money, and that means they're going with what's known to sell.
Given that this is Disney now this could be anything from brilliant to 'can we have the old EU back please'.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
LMSx
Jedi Knight

Post by LMSx »

There was a question in the last thread about 2015 being a tight squeeze, time-wise.

I'm not so sure: they didn't have to give a year for this today, they could have just said "in a few years", which would have left us in the same time frame but more defensibly vague. Obviously there's a chance it could be delayed until whenever, but you'd figure basic competence would dictate at this moment everyone involved is reasonably confident they can release something that year.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Are you fucking kidding me? :roll:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
LMSx
Jedi Knight

Post by LMSx »

I'm curious what category of director they'll be aiming at- giant names like Spielberg, more eccentric auteurs, superficially competent hired guns (think generally people who direct Marvel movies), or Richard Marquand-type of puppets for the producers.

Another question tying into that is, Lucas got his shit figured out by the time he made TPM what he wanted the next three movies to look like. and they're certainly consistent in that regard. Is Star Wars fundamentally a mirror back on a 1930s sort of Flash Gordon pulp, or how do they update that sensibility?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Did you just call Joss Whedon a superficially competent hired gun?
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Spielberg may actually want to try his hand at it. IIRC he wanted to do one of the OT, but just couldn't ever get the timing right with his own projects. Or maybe that was the PT?

I think the look depends on the part of the story. Lucas could have made the OT look just as flashy as the PT (albeit with less quality) but he wanted it to look like the ass end of the universe. The PT is supposed to look like super awesome new and shiny because it is the center of the universe. I mean, Tatooine still looks the same in the PT. and Bespin looks super shiny and new in the OT.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Ire
Youngling

Post by Ire »

Havok wrote:
The lengths you take your butthurt and vitriol is pathetic
LMSx
Jedi Knight

Post by LMSx »

Did you just call Joss Whedon a superficially competent hired gun?
Adverbs, man. Generally!

I was being glib about Favreau and Brannagh, with Joe and Anthony Russo and Marc Webb also on deck. They've been varying levels of ok-to-good/serviceable, and my main understanding is that they're on the affordable end of the spectrum when studios want a high floor/low ceiling type of movie.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Ire wrote:
Havok wrote:
The lengths you take your butthurt and vitriol is pathetic
That should have been 'to which' you take your butthurt and vitriol is pathetic. And frankly, by local standards 'NO EU BULLSHIT!! If you can't help yourself, go start your own fucking thread.' is not only pretty timid, but unlike your comment actually grammatically correct as far as I can tell.
LMSx
Jedi Knight

Post by LMSx »

Havok wrote:Spielberg may actually want to try his hand at it. IIRC he wanted to do one of the OT, but just couldn't ever get the timing right with his own projects. Or maybe that was the PT?

I think the look depends on the part of the story. Lucas could have made the OT look just as flashy as the PT (albeit with less quality) but he wanted it to look like the ass end of the universe. The PT is supposed to look like super awesome new and shiny because it is the center of the universe. I mean, Tatooine still looks the same in the PT. and Bespin looks super shiny and new in the OT.
Somewhere rattling in the back of my brain I have a connection with Spielberg for AOTC, although I'm not sure whether that meant he just did a pass on the script.

I also mean "look" speaking more broadly about the kind of attitude brought to the project. Things like how they approached "evil", with General Grievous and Ian McDiarmid's performance being corny if you ever had to show/explain it to your grandparents, but part of a fun pulpy vibe if you buy into it.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Boba Mouse? Goofy the Hutt? :)

I'm on the fence with the news that Disney acquired Lucasfilm and everything in it.

I thought Lucas had said that there would be no SW sequels as long as he lived? Now he does a 180? I guess getting over $2 billion from the sale plus 40 million Disney shares (another $2 billion) would change almost anyone's mind.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Not mine, but then I spend more than that every year on bat gadgets anyway. That being said, 'as long as he lived', and the man does have diabetis.
And frankly, George has been doing Star Wars for (literally) 35 years. Maybe he just decided he's tired of it.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Enigma wrote:Boba Mouse? Goofy the Hutt? :)

I'm on the fence with the news that Disney acquired Lucasfilm and everything in it.

I thought Lucas had said that there would be no SW sequels as long as he lived? Now he does a 180? I guess getting over $2 billion from the sale plus 40 million Disney shares (another $2 billion) would change almost anyone's mind.
That isn't what he said. He said there is no more story about Luke after ROTJ so he won't do any more movies.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
TK-984
Redshirt

Post by TK-984 »

Same general character archetypes with all or some of the old main cast to do a hand off. I doubt they'll touch the EU except for alien or planet ideas.
Marikina
Redshirt

Post by Marikina »

LMSx wrote:There was a question in the last thread about 2015 being a tight squeeze, time-wise.

I'm not so sure: they didn't have to give a year for this today, they could have just said "in a few years", which would have left us in the same time frame but more defensibly vague. Obviously there's a chance it could be delayed until whenever, but you'd figure basic competence would dictate at this moment everyone involved is reasonably confident they can release something that year.
The franchise being in Disney's hands means they might have more flexibility release-date wise. July gives them more wiggle room, and December even moreso.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

There's also the matter of The Avengers 2 hitting in May 2015, so I'm thinking either later in the summer or winter as you posited.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

I'll hazard a guess, the time jump will be at least 30 years.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Truth be told i've always expected there would be more movies, or a reboot or something, I just didn't expect it until after Lucas died. Like maybe one of his kids would do one or something. I was expecting the SW franchise to be mostly EU and TV based until at least 2020 or 2025.

A new Trilogy with new people producing it and Lucas only consulting would actually play to his strengths. Lucas is a good Idea guy, he did a wonderful job creating a rich vibrant universe with interesting locations and characters, but when he tried to do everything like writing and directing single-handedly, the work suffered for it. Better writers and directers combined with Lucas' imagination could be a powerful combination.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I'm not sure why people assume Disney is going to start changing things just because they bought it, when they didn't do it at Pixar or Marvel.

That said, the reason "Blockbuster" movies get released when they do is because of Star Wars, I don't think they are gonna mess with the May release date.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

JME2 wrote:There's also the matter of The Avengers 2 hitting in May 2015, so I'm thinking either later in the summer or winter as you posited.
If there is ONE movie that will not have to worry about The Avengers 2, it is going to be Episode Fucking VII of fucking Star Wars. :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Havok wrote:
JME2 wrote:There's also the matter of The Avengers 2 hitting in May 2015, so I'm thinking either later in the summer or winter as you posited.
If there is ONE movie that will not have to worry about The Avengers 2, it is going to be Episode Fucking VII of fucking Star Wars. :lol:
Could one try to place one (say, the Avengers) at the beginning of May, and the other (Episode VII?) at the end of May?

Or is that still close for comfort?
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
LMSx
Jedi Knight

Post by LMSx »

I'm not any kind of a cinema sales expert, but I would think there'd be some competition with availability in theater screens and IMAX, and simply as far as how much marketing any one company can do at once.

None of this would be a problem if Episode 7 and Avengers were competitors, but under the same company there's zero reason to even remotely risk cannibalizing one or the other by putting them within 2 months of the other. I would think Disney gives each movie a wide berth.
Covenant
Sith Marauder

Post by Covenant »

Remember, while Summer Blockbusters are a big thing, the Avatar/Titanic timeslot is something Disney might like to sink to the goddamn bottom of the ocean with the weight of Star Wars VII. Mid-December is a great time for movies, and while there will be competition from a bunch of truly abysmal shittastic Christmas movies, absolutely nothing will be able to scare up the box office domination that another Star Wars movie could. Since that's a time when people are usually starving for something non-awful to go to, and Star Wars is generally a kid-friendly genre (even when it's up to a PG rating or whatever), it could really be the world's biggest slam dunk. I know if I had kids I'd be bringing them to Star Wars in 2015, not to something like "Rudolf and the Red Nose Kids" or whatever else someone will push out that year to be trampled to death.

Dominating both the Winter and Summer markets could make for a very lucrative year, and it would be far enough apart that people wouldn't see them as competition except in terms of "What's the best thing this year to give my money to Disney for?"