Kerbal Space Program, Revisited.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Re: Kerbal Space Program, Revisited.

Post by TimothyC »

The Gemini mod is awesome:

It actually requires some energy management - the command pod has a small amount (10 units) of mono-propellant and the ability to convert this into electricity via a fuel cell - and your capsule slowly drains the electricity. The FASA pack that it comes in also has a nice Redstone rocket and an Atlas rocket to fill out the pre-Apollo US set.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

I've finally got that damn planetary launchpads mod to work. No screenshot, but I've landed a base on Mun, that can now produce rockets, for easier flights to other destinations.

The real question is: Does any mod work yet that allows you to launch ships from an orbiting base? I feel like constructing a Kerbin orbital shipyard complex.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Nephtys wrote:I've finally got that damn planetary launchpads mod to work. No screenshot, but I've landed a base on Mun, that can now produce rockets, for easier flights to other destinations.

The real question is: Does any mod work yet that allows you to launch ships from an orbiting base? I feel like constructing a Kerbin orbital shipyard complex.
That mod would realistically need you to transfer raw materials there, but if they managed to make "Ketone", they should be able to do this, as well...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Frankly I think the full game should let you set up bases that would let you build rockets, and just slap a premium on the cost of parts launched from, say, Tylo. Otherwise it will become really tedious real fast.

Maybe you could get procedural "quests" that would expand the base's capability/make parts cheaper once completed.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

How do you plot an intercept in the current version?

I set up a fuel depot in Kerbin orbit, and the Mun, but I can't figure out how to actually intercept it. Worse yet, when I have passed within 10km, I haven't been able to spot-math the burn I need to kill relative velocity :)
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

click on the ship you want to rendezvous with from the map screen and click 'set as target'. you can then toggle your navball from displaying orbital speed to displaying relative velocity, it'll even change your pro/retrograde markers accordingly.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Mechjeb gives you a helpful "rel +/-" option that lets you properly orient the ship automagically ;)

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Nassault has some awesome Cinematics.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Here's a fun one: a jet-powered orbiter. While a small rocket engine was necessary to circularise the orbit, it escapes the atmosphere using nothing but jet fuel.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Orbit, Circurularized, Jets and RCS only, I did use part clipping (to have enough intakes to run the jets), MechJeb for control, Firespitter's ASAS, and the VNG parachute mod.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

The pilot looks incredibly smug about it, too :P

Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

TimothyC wrote:Orbit, Circurularized, Jets and RCS only, I did use part clipping (to have enough intakes to run the jets), MechJeb for control, Firespitter's ASAS, and the VNG parachute mod.
I assume you were using a plane-like ascent plan, judging by the wings and massed intakes. I know that this works - Scott Manley even managed to get his to Gilly and back - but I was trying something I hadn't seen tried before: burning to 13,000 meters and then using sheer momentum to get me close to orbit (100,000 meters) once the engines cut out.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Grumman wrote:I assume you were using a plane-like ascent plan, judging by the wings and massed intakes. I know that this works - Scott Manley even managed to get his to Gilly and back - but I was trying something I hadn't seen tried before: burning to 13,000 meters and then using sheer momentum to get me close to orbit (100,000 meters) once the engines cut out.
Oh, very much so - I've actually looked at the approach you've taken before, but written it off as fuel-wasteful as I never was able to burn all of the jet fuel - and thus never hit the optimum TWR.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

TimothyC wrote:
Grumman wrote:I assume you were using a plane-like ascent plan, judging by the wings and massed intakes. I know that this works - Scott Manley even managed to get his to Gilly and back - but I was trying something I hadn't seen tried before: burning to 13,000 meters and then using sheer momentum to get me close to orbit (100,000 meters) once the engines cut out.
Oh, very much so - I've actually looked at the approach you've taken before, but written it off as fuel-wasteful as I never was able to burn all of the jet fuel - and thus never hit the optimum TWR.
I've been using turbojet boosters for all my rockets for a while now. The nice thing about them is that they become more efficient if the TWR is bad, since they have more burn time. I haven't been brave enough to try lifting a seventy ton space station to orbit in a plane, but turbojet boosters can lift it to 15,000 meters no problem.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Kerbal Space Program is patching, if anyone else was waiting for it.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

main site and forums crashed, that's always a good sign the next version is out. we've been crashing the download server almost every release since .14 it's almost tradition by now.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

And I can't play it until this heatwave dies down. Curses!

Oh, well, it's probably going to need a few bugfix updates anyway.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

So, I decided to make a spaceplane prototype, aiming for what looks cool.

I should've known this would happen.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

That's a sign you are going too low - I'd trying pushing that up to no lower than 18km, maybe even higher- the turbos run better the higher and faster you go.

I'm really getting a feel for the new SAS/ASAS system in .21.1 - I like it better than the old one, although when flying it takes some retraining to stop turning the ASAS on and off when I change directions.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

On a similar note, I decided to christen v 0.21 with an aircraft flight. SAS changes seem to have made actually flying aircraft much easier, which is nice.

I'd stress though, that balancing going high enough not to burn and low enough to stay in the air is a tricky prospect when I'm flying.

According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

TimothyC wrote:That's a sign you are going too low - I'd trying pushing that up to no lower than 18km, maybe even higher- the turbos run better the higher and faster you go.

I'm really getting a feel for the new SAS/ASAS system in .21.1 - I like it better than the old one, although when flying it takes some retraining to stop turning the ASAS on and off when I change directions.
I was referring to the fact that it worked, actually, and that it has served as the basis for all my new planes.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Whoa the new mountains look great!

Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Yeah, they seem to have updated the look of places... As soon as I get a working rocket, it'll be worth looking at the other planets.

In the meantimes, I've been messing around with airships to make crew recovery vehicles. Firstly, we paid a visit to the nearby airstrip which also seems to have picked up a graphical update. It was claimed in the name of SCIENCE.

Meanwhile, Melbin Kerman found a Monolith a couple of km from the Space Centre. Now we know where it is, SCIENCE teams will be deployed to work out how to get up to the floating object and poke it with sticks of varying composition.

Seeing an opportunity to test the CRV model, a Mark II was deployed to meet Melbin. Shortly afterwards, the Mk III was deployed to pick both of the crews up. This one seems to be a much more successful model than its predecessors.

In an attempt to get some publicity shots for SeffTech Crew Safety Systems, the MkIII was then driven straight through the vital airspace of the KSC with one pilot and four helpless passengers. Mission: Success!

According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

You know, I have an idea. Wait for it.

Waaait for it...

HYPERSONIC BLIMPS