Who Here Uses Linux?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Which OS do you have? (including multi-boots and frequently-used Virtual Machines)

Windows 2000 or lower
2%
Windows XP
23%
Windows Vista or 7
38%
Linux (too many types to list them individually)
25%
Macintosh
7%
Solaris
2%
BSD
3%
MINIX
No votes

Total votes: 175

noncredible
Padawan Learner

Who Here Uses Linux?

Post by noncredible »

How many of you use Linux? And which distribution do you use?

Also, if you switched from another OS, why?

Personally, I use Linux Ubuntu 10.10. I switched from Windows XP when I got a major virus for the third time and had to reinstall the system.

Also, a tip for users of Ubuntu 10.04: Don't upgrade; do a clean install. Upgrading from 10.04 to 10.10 makes 10.10 very glitchy.
"Everything in this room is edible. Even I'm edible. But, that would be called cannibalism. It is looked down upon in most societies."
— Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

"And, if you should come upon this spot, please do not hurry on. Wait for a time, exactly under the star. Then, if a little man appears who laughs, who has golden hair and who refuses to answer questions, you will know who he is. If this should happen, please comfort me. Send me word that he has come back."
— Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Re: Who Here Uses Linux?

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

I used Ubuntu pretty much exclusively for a couple of years because Vista just annoyed the piss out of me, but its habit of breaking something new with every release and the eventual corruption of my filesystem when Evolution somehow[1] took the computer down in a way that it took exception to sent me back to Windows. With Windows 7 I no longer feel any particular need to try other OSes despite my general preference for a UNIX-like environment so that's that.

[1] Fuck knows what it was doing given that I didn't use the stupid client, but the Evolution daemon managed to consume all RAM and swap file and then the system hard-crashed.
Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

I ran Win 98 on a non-networked computer originally back in high school, then I used Ubuntu with the occasional XP for programs that I needed and only ran on Windows. When I built my gaming tower I dual booted 7 and Ubuntu 10.04 and haven't looked back.

Why do I use Linux? Primarily cost, but also perceived security and reliability. Also, most of the programming classes at Uni use a *nix environment, so Ubuntu dovetails nicely.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

I use Win7 for my school laptop, WinXP for my desktop (which only gets used for video editing these days), and Ubuntu Linux in a virtual machine for last semester's (and probably next semester's) Linux/Unix course. I really like Windows 7 -- it's been almost completely bulletproof for me since I first started using it, last September.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I was an Ubuntu/XP user for a while, apart from a mercifully brief period when I was using Linpus Linux Lite on a netbook. As of a few months ago I'm exclusively an Ubuntu user, having accidentally obliterated XP whilst performing an upgrade from 8.10 to 10.10.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Posted from my Motorola Xoom. :P
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
noncredible
Padawan Learner

Post by noncredible »

Zaune wrote:As of a few months ago I'm exclusively an Ubuntu user, having accidentally obliterated XP whilst performing an upgrade from 8.10 to 10.10.

Did you do a double update or clean install? Or did it let you go directly from Karmic to Maverick?
"Everything in this room is edible. Even I'm edible. But, that would be called cannibalism. It is looked down upon in most societies."

"And, if you should come upon this spot, please do not hurry on. Wait for a time, exactly under the star. Then, if a little man appears who laughs, who has golden hair and who refuses to answer questions, you will know who he is. If this should happen, please comfort me. Send me word that he has come back."
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

I use Ubuntu or WIn7 depending on situation.
Karza
Jedi Knight

Post by Karza »

Recently upgraded from Vista to 7 on my main computer. The old box runs XP.
"Death before dishonour" they say, but how much dishonour are we talking about exactly? I mean, I can handle a lot. I could fellate a smurf if the alternative was death.
- Dylan Moran
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

fajner1 wrote:Did you do a double update or clean install? Or did it let you go directly from Karmic to Maverick?
Clean install. Must have told it to install to the wrong drive, but I only really used Windows for gaming so it was no great loss.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Falarica
Youngling

Post by Falarica »

Windows 7 for gaming, DirectX programming.
Ubuntu for university work.

Started using Linux because it was what I was taught to program on. Its much easier to do so than on Windows (even 7). The terminal takes a bit of time to get used to though especially if you've never touched command line interfaces before. But for general use you don't really need to use it.

Still use both OSs because they excel at different things.
Commence primary legislation!

If aliens every really tried to contact us it'd be through the internet. Then 4chan would probably scare them off.
Pintsize - Questionable Content
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Windows XP, Windows Vista, and iOS. Over the past year I've moved more and more to iOS, as I've begun to use my phone to replace my desktop and laptop for almost all my day-to-day computer needs. Now I only sit at a computer if I need to work on assignments, which have been pretty rare this past semester.
XXXI
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

I know Darth Wong has a Linux page on his personal website, but if I want to have a Linux distro as a second OS to go with Windows 7 on a computer I'll be building late this summer, which one should I look at?

e: right now Vista and Android.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Lonestar wrote:Posted from my Motorola Xoom. :P
Posted from my Cr-48. Yay for ChromeOS (and free netbooks).

My desktop/workstation at home is running Win7x64, while my backup laptop, and all of the systems at school are XP (x86) machines.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

I run Windows 7 on this laptop, mainly so I can use MS Office for uni work.

My old laptop runs Ubuntu, and I break it out when I need to edit video.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Windows 7 64-bit on my PC, Android 2.3.3 on my Droid 2.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
noncredible
Padawan Learner

Post by noncredible »

Qwerty 42 wrote:I know Darth Wong has a Linux page on his personal website, but if I want to have a Linux distro as a second OS to go with Windows 7 on a computer I'll be building late this summer, which one should I look at?

Ubuntu is the most popular desktop edition. There are also Fedora and Debian.

Wong uses Mandriva, which, apparently, is a bit more organized and better designed than Ubuntu. And I think you have to pay for it, but I'm not sure.

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

TimothyC wrote: Posted from my Cr-48. Yay for ChromeOS (and free netbooks).

I'm not sure if a Web Browser counts as a "OS". :P
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

Ubuntu 11.04 here, almost exclusively since all my uni stuff works on Linux and I really really like the command line. I might start using Windows again once Bad Company 3 comes out solely for gaming. Oh, and Android, but that's also Linux :D

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Lonestar wrote:
TimothyC wrote: Posted from my Cr-48. Yay for ChromeOS (and free netbooks).

I'm not sure if a Web Browser counts as a "OS". :P
It's Chrome and Flash on a linux kernel. It's as much an OS as iOS was back when it came out.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
rapidsquirrel
Youngling

Post by rapidsquirrel »

The only reason I boot into XP is to play games. Otherwise, I mainly use Arch linux, mainly because I can't stand some of the configuration choices that Ubuntu has made. I'm better then I was though give that I ran Gentoo for years and years.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Run 10.04 LTS on my home server and on my work servers. Also run a RHEL5/6 derivative.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Win7 on my home desktop, Ubuntu on the laptop, Debian 6 on my home and remote servers.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

My home desktop: single-boot Win7 x64 with several different OS in VirtualBox (Gentoo / Suse / IPCop Linux, Win 98 / ME / XP )
My laptop: Dual-boot WinXP and Gentoo Linux

Privately I mostly use Windows for gaming or OpenGL programming.
I got introduced to Gentoo when I started to work for a Linux systems supplier (mostly administrating business networks).
Installing Gentoo is a nightmare - especially if you want it small and really fast, but you get a lot of coffee time :mrgreen: while the important stuff is compiling. (networked compiling is awesome if you have to install Gentoo on anything slower than 1GHz)
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
noncredible
Padawan Learner

Post by noncredible »

I'm getting a new computer for my birthday. It will have 8GB of RAM, so I'll probably run Ubuntu as the main OS and run Win7 in Virtualbox, giving it 2-4GB of RAM.