Homeworld Remakes, It's Actually Happening!!!

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Re: Homeworld Remakes, It's Actually Happening!!!

Post by Purple »

bilateralrope wrote:It's much better to find reviewers with useful* opinions who you trust to be honest.
bilateralrope wrote:you trust to be honest.
bilateralrope wrote:to be honest.
bilateralrope wrote:honest.
And while I am at it I am going to go find a pink unicorn so that I can chew on its cotton candy mane whilst watching the review being projected on the moon via its magic horn.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Finding an honest reviewer can be easier than finding a reliable torrenter who can tell bugs introduced by pirating from flaws in the actual game?

You're using cynicism in place of thought, and it isn't working.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Simon_Jester wrote:Finding an honest reviewer can be easier than finding a reliable torrenter who can tell bugs introduced by pirating from flaws in the actual game?
I newer said I'd find one. I said that I'd wait until the release and per-release hype is over and enough people have bought and stolen it so that there is a large pool of people online that I can trawl through and get a more or less accurate result.

It's the same approach I take with movies. I usually go to the cinema when they are already about to cancel the film in question because I want to see as many comments as possible from as many people as possible as opposed to trusting any officially sanctioned reviewer.

I just happen to value my money and be very cautious about how I spend it.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Purple wrote:
bilateralrope wrote:It's much better to find reviewers with useful* opinions who you trust to be honest.
bilateralrope wrote:you trust to be honest.
bilateralrope wrote:to be honest.
bilateralrope wrote:honest.
And while I am at it I am going to go find a pink unicorn so that I can chew on its cotton candy mane whilst watching the review being projected on the moon via its magic horn.
You seem to think there are a lot of dishonest reviewers. Why do you think that ?
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Internet randoms are probably the last people you should be trusting to give you useful opinions because the only ones who are motivated to speak out are the ones with extreme opinions, most frequently informed by some kind of deeply partisan position based on fandom of something.

Professional reviewers are usually at least expected to justify their opinion in the body of the review.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

bilateralrope wrote:You seem to think there are a lot of dishonest reviewers. Why do you think that ?
Reviewers are industry professionals who are paid by the industry to say that all games are wonderful, good and beautiful gems that you absolutely must buy or else you might as well have not lived.
Vendetta wrote:Internet randoms are probably the last people you should be trusting to give you useful opinions because the only ones who are motivated to speak out are the ones with extreme opinions, most frequently informed by some kind of deeply partisan position based on fandom of something.

Professional reviewers are usually at least expected to justify their opinion in the body of the review.
I basically go by letsplays. I wait until enough people have gotten the game that people are playing it on youtube and than I check it out there. It's basically the equivalent to going over to a friends house who has the game and playing a few hours.

Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

How is this looking? I enjoyed the original HW and Cataclysm a lot, but I can't think of a remake off the top of my head that turned out well. Even the better ones usually inspire me to just pop in the original.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Purple wrote:
bilateralrope wrote:You seem to think there are a lot of dishonest reviewers. Why do you think that ?
Reviewers are industry professionals who are paid by the industry to say that all games are wonderful, good and beautiful gems that you absolutely must buy or else you might as well have not lived.
I'm not aware of them being paid in ways that cause a conflict of interest. Can you name any specific publications that have such a conflict of interest ?

Note that if you claim free copies of the games that reviewers get are a conflict of interest, I'll expect you to prove it. Theorising will not be enough.

I'll give you three examples of reviewers and how they have arranged their business to avoid such a conflict:
- Total Biscuit. Google provides the ads to his Youtube channel. He lets Google choose the ads without any input from him and doesn't know what ads will be playing until they play. When there are exceptions he discloses them at the start of the video. His worst example of disclosure is his SPAZ video, where he doesn't mention that he did some voice acting for it until about 1:39. Before giving his opinion. He has since decided to be more explicit in disclosing promotional videos.
- Jim Sterling. Funded via Patreon, scroll down to the Anything To Declare? section to see his standards for disclosure.
- Polygon Here is their statement on advertising:
We have advertisements on our site, and they are our main source of revenue. Our company has its own advertising team responsible for selling ad space on our site. We do not accept money or other consideration from companies as a condition or incentive to write a review or story, whether favorable or unfavorable, on Polygon. All reviews and other editorial material on the Polygon site are based on our editorial discretion, and not based on the desire of any company, advertiser or PR firm. Advertisers don't ask us to cover their products, and we don't comment about their ads. Our policies do not permit placements of advertorial on Polygon. We will endeavor to clearly mark any advertisement or "infomercial" (videos, Flash animations, etc.) shown on Polygon as an advertisement.

Our website may [also] contain affiliate marketing links, which means we may be paid commission on sales of those products or services we write about. Our editorial content is not influenced by advertisers or affiliate partnerships.
This is easy for them to do. Have one group of people handling the advertising side. Don't let them talk to the people writing articles.
I basically go by letsplays. I wait until enough people have gotten the game that people are playing it on youtube and than I check it out there. It's basically the equivalent to going over to a friends house who has the game and playing a few hours.
That can work. Unless you want to avoid spoilers.

But since you brought up reviewers being paid by the gaming industry, lets talk about lets players being paid by gaming companies:

Pay for Play: The ethics of paying for YouTuber coverage
As you can see, 98 percent of those with less than 5,000 subscribers said that they have never received money from a developer or publisher to record videos of games. In comparison, at least 26 percent of YouTubers with over 5,000 subscribers said they had taken money to record videos.

So clearly as you move up the subscriber scale, the bigger YouTubers are being offered cash for coverage or asking for cash to cover games, and at least a quarter of them are taking it. However, that doesn't answer whether the smaller YouTubers would partake in the act if they were given the opportunity.
There was Microsoft's dodgy deal involving Machinima. A deal that was potentially illegal.

Then there was YogDiscovery, a program proposed by the Yogscast lets play channel where they would take a slice of the revenue from games sales. Now that's a clear conflict of interest because if they make the game look bad, they get less money.

There was the Shadows of Mordor deal, which included terms to hide disclosure below the show more part of the video description. Lets Players took the deal.

So tell me, which Lets Players do you trust to remain ethical ?
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

bilateralrope wrote:I'm not aware of them being paid in ways that cause a conflict of interest. Can you name any specific publications that have such a conflict of interest ?
Well for a start there is the whole think with people who don't rate products well being blacklisted and not getting to review products any more before they are already out and past the pre-order and order stages. Which may I remind you was the original context of my statement.
That can work. Unless you want to avoid spoilers.

But since you brought up reviewers being paid by the gaming industry, lets talk about lets players being paid by gaming companies:
That's not really relevant though given that letsplays show me the gameplay. The guy in the video can say what ever he wants but if I see the graphics are ugly or feel the story is shallow his words ain't going to change that.

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Vendetta wrote:Internet randoms are probably the last people you should be trusting to give you useful opinions because the only ones who are motivated to speak out are the ones with extreme opinions, most frequently informed by some kind of deeply partisan position based on fandom of something.
I've got some mileage over the years out of comparing the worst of the worst with people gushing over the game because there's usually a middle-ground you can figure out if you read enough. One thing the assholes with an axe-to-grind are good at is finding all that nitpicky shit that can actually make or break certain games. The gushers will focus on the big shinies instead, which is also useful.
My problem with "professional" reviewers isn't them lying, it's that many of them can't actually tell me why they liked a game. They don't actually break games down anymore (although this was an issue with certain review mags even in the 90s). It's "the story is engaging, gameplay is responsive, the graphics are great." This isn't useful information.

Ebert and I didn't agree about much on anything when it came to movies, but I could read a review from him about a movie he hated and still get my own information on if it would be enjoyable or not for me because the man knew movies, more specifically the mechanics of movies and how to explain what was right/wrong with them. Video games reviewers mostly focus on the shiny and ignore the guts. I think this is mostly because they just don't know any better and they usually aren't given a lot of time to review a game.

For just an example, reviewers gushed about the "vibrant and living world of Skyrim" for Skyrim (duh). About how NPCs "felt real and had their own lives." I like Skyrim a lot, but this line is pretty much bullshit. NPCs are lucky to have more than a "go to work, sandbox around, go home, sanbox around, go to sleep, wait 8 hours, GOTO 1" "life" in the CK. This isn't a big deal for someone just reviewing the game for 5 hours (if even) running from town to town doing quests, but becomes noticeable if you play Skyrim as a sandbox game. Spend any time around a major city in the game and you'll hear the same lines of dialog and see the same NPC pathing over and over. You'll also end up console killing every damned bard in the game because fuck you Ragnar the Red.

This is why I stick with Forbes. In general, mind you, they'll at least give me the information I need to make my own decision. Other reviewers are too busy saying "IT'S FUN, 9/10!"
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Unless it has been already mentioned here, the Homeworld Remake is slated to be released on Feb 25 for $35. This includes the two remastered games plus the originals.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

It's also up on Steam for those who didn't already pre-order

http://store.steampowered.com/app/244160/
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Purple wrote:
bilateralrope wrote:I'm not aware of them being paid in ways that cause a conflict of interest. Can you name any specific publications that have such a conflict of interest ?
Well for a start there is the whole think with people who don't rate products well being blacklisted and not getting to review products any more before they are already out and past the pre-order and order stages. Which may I remind you was the original context of my statement.
And your proof that this blacklisting happens regularly is ?
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRtqy0CGur4

37 minutes of gameplay and messing around for those interested.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Damn that looks pretty. Glad to hear they're big on the mod support as well; it's interesting to knwo that one of the Complex team worked on the remakes.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Nitram introduced me to HW. He'd played through it before, so he knew what was coming, but I had no clue. Kharak was as big a blow as the death of Aerith in FF7.

I'm just sad that he's not here to see the remake. :(
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

God that third mission....I've played the game a dozen times or more and it still hurts to hear "Kharak is burning..."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

The subject did not survive interrogation.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Rekkon
Padawan Learner

Post by Rekkon »

To this day I cannot hear Adagio for Strings without getting chills and hearing the opening lines of the 3rd mission.
Isil`Zha
Jedi Knight

Post by Isil`Zha »

I already threw my money at this on steam. :mrgreen: Did anyone else notice that in the multiplayer, you can pit HW1 races against HW2 races?
Though we are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,--
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Isil`Zha wrote:I already threw my money at this on steam. :mrgreen: Did anyone else notice that in the multiplayer, you can pit HW1 races against HW2 races?
Hell yeah, I'm looking forward to that!

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Ok, so some of us were worrying about just WHY the game is taking so long?
Well the following is a good explanation why... and I am SOOO ok with this sort of delay

Homeworld Remastered is arriving as a Steam download on February 25th, 16 years after it originally launched. The game and its 2003 sequel spent the last 12 years languishing in THQ's vaults before being rescued by Gearbox Software. Doesn't ring a bell? Gearbox is the studio behind the highly lauded Borderlands series, the universally derided Duke Nukem Forever and the largely panned Aliens: Colonial Marines. Rather than just push the titles out for a quick nostalgia hit, however, the company spent the last two years giving Homeworld a high-definition remaster so that it looks as good as we remember. In the run up to the launch, I spoke with Gearbox's Brian Martel and Chris Faylor to talk about reviving the game.

In theory, the idea of updating a few textures sounded simple, but the reality was significantly more complex. One of the first, and biggest, technical challenges that had to be overcome was that the two games were built in entirely different engines. Before any work could begin, therefore, Gearbox had to pull the first title apart and rebuild it inside the Homeworld 2 engine. Using a 12-year-old environment to build a game certainly isn't an ideal scenario, and I asked the pair what this would mean for any future titles. According to Martel, despite its age, the HW2 engine is "so strong and capable," thanks, in part, to the efforts Gearbox has made to upgrade the platform, that it could handle any theoretical sequel. Of course, Martel was quick to add that a Homeworld sequel may not take the same form as the first two, and the team would have to sit down with the game's original creators to "look at what the next game would be."

So, what's the point of bringing back these two games that, outside of a very loyal group of fans, had almost slipped entirely off the radar? As far as Martel is concerned, it's all about how good it was to look at.
"[Homeworld had] such an amazing, well-designed universe and really cool ships. Frankly, it's hard to do sci-fi well, and you can really schlock it up if you aren't careful. I think these are some of the best designs in the last 16 years, because it's really hard to find cool ships in a -- I mean, there's the Mass Effect ship -- but they're few and far between where you go 'this is a sexy, sexy spaceship.'"
But alas, to look at original screenshots of the games now, you'd be tricked into thinking that they're being run at super-low resolutions. The truth, of course, is that both titles were shipped on a single CD, meaning that they only had a footprint of 650-or-so MB to occupy.The ship textures and audio were so compressed that they look "kludgy" to modern eyes -- peep the comparison video below for more proof. Working with the game's original artists, re-designed models with upgraded lighting effects and textures have been added to the game, and the Homeworld Remastered Collection now clocks in at close to 20GB.

As stunning as the visuals are, however, Homeworld's most unique selling point was its groundbreaking approach to combat. For a generation of PC gamers raised on isometric strategy games like Command & Conquer and StarCraft, all of your tactical thinking was horizontal. Homeworld, being based in space, turned this idea on its head by creating a spherical battleground that let you add verticality to your thinking. Now, you could choose to hide your ships well above or below your opponent and attack them from any angle.

Unfortunately, the title effectively disappeared from shelves shortly after developer Relic was purchased by THQ in 2004. Corporate rivalry between THQ and Sierra, Homeworld's publisher, meant that any future games were put on ice, and when THQ began to hit the skids, the rights to the game were put up for auction.
"The '99 release of Homeworld and the '03 release of Two are the only release these games have received. It's also been limited by compatibility issues in the last few versions of Windows, and they haven't been on digital download, so at the very least we're bringing these classics back."
You may be asking yourself about Homeworld: Cataclysm, the standalone expansion to the first game produced by Barking Dog. As the urban legend goes, Cataclysm's source code was lost, and while there are some hints that a copy may still exist, it's probably not worth holding your breath over.

Like any good Homeworld obsessive, I asked what sort of conditions would need to be met before any discussions were had around Homeworld 3. Naturally, sales of the remastered collection will be a big part of it, and a discussion will have to be had with the game's original creative team, currently working on prequel game (Homeworld: Shipbreakers). From their voices, however, it's clear that Martel and Faylor are smitten with the series, describing the remastering project as a "labor of love." And while they're currently in a "wait-and-see holding pattern," if the demand proves strong enough, then the pair would "love to make Homeworld 3."
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

The videos look good so far. I hope that they haven't stripped out any cool features of HW1 when porting over to the HW2 engine, like the greater control over formations. I also wonder if they'll keep the building craft individually or as squadrons in HW1. I don't know which I would prefer really, but for balance reasons they might leave it as it was. Only a couple of weeks until we see how it comes out, and whether it is worth buying or not...

I really hope that if they make a Homeworld 3 they focus on the secular aspects rather than the mystical bollocks. I liked HW1 and Cataclysm more plot wise as they kept things much more grounded. The myths and history were presented more as things that were known to be unreliable history passed down the generations, whereas in HW2 it was a lot more like the myths were actually how things went, and everything was some kind of magical woolly prophecy come true.
Apparently nobody can see you without a signature.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Steel wrote:I really hope that if they make a Homeworld 3 they focus on the secular aspects rather than the mystical bollocks. I liked HW1 and Cataclysm more plot wise as they kept things much more grounded. The myths and history were presented more as things that were known to be unreliable history passed down the generations, whereas in HW2 it was a lot more like the myths were actually how things went, and everything was some kind of magical woolly prophecy come true.
Preach it! All the more for the fact that HW2 spent more exposition-time on the aforementioned mystical bollocks than little things like, you know, who the antagonist faction were and why they were at war with Hiigara.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I'm not fussed if they keep building strikecraft solo or move to squadrons. What I hope is that they keep the parallel building you could do in 1 but somehow lost in 2.