Help Request: Setting up Dual-Boot on Win 7 and XP

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Help Request: Setting up Dual-Boot on Win 7 and XP

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Ok, here's the situation:

I have my Pc with Win 7 and XP set up on separate HDDs and dual-booting quite satisfactorily. I then replace the Win 7 disc with an SSD and re-install Windows on this SSD. How can I set up the dual-booting as before? The XP disc is visible and useable from the new 7 install, but I do not get a duel-boot menu.

Also, how do I go about removing the partition from my old Win 7 HDD so I can use it as a data drive?

Simple, direct suggestions would be much appreciated.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Re: Help Request: Setting up Dual-Boot on Win 7 and XP

Post by Zaune »

Fastest and simplest method I can think of? Pick a Linux distro that doesn't take up much space and install that, which means you'll have GRUB (minor fiddling with settings and/or CMOS jumpers may be needed), and then use GParted to reformat your old Windows 7 drive.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

If they are on different HDDs then when the computer boots up, it should say something like "F11 for boot menu", which calls up a BIOS menu that selects which HDD you want to boot off of.

As for the old HDD, just plug it in and when it comes up in my computer, right click on it and hit "format".
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Ok, I know I can do that, what I was wanting was the dual-boot menu I had before where I could just choose an operating system rather than changing the boot order in BIOS.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »