Texas vs. The united States - border issues

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: Texas vs. The united States - border issues

Post by Gandalf »

Is there a legal requirement for a certain amount of accessibility for immigration centre services?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
MC_Lovecraft
Redshirt

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

That I don't know. It's international law, written to apply to a lot of different countries and situations, so my understanding is that it mostly deals with the rights of asylum seekers and leaves it up to governments to work out the particulars of satisfying those rights. In general it's up to the asylum seeker to report to an immigration judge for their asylum hearing within the period allowed, and most of them do: https://www.vera.org/publications/immig ... fact-sheet

That said, there's no standard by which our current system could be interpreted as a good-faith effort to comply with international law or recognize the rights of asylum seekers. Biden's proposed immigration bill would go even further, granting him (and the next guy) the power to unilaterally close the border for months at a time, denying entry to everyone, which is explicitly not allowed.
"Billionaires are not people. They're Dragons. Terrible Smaug monsters who would 100% rather die rich than live poor." -N. Edward
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eM-rXhTo5g

Though do take it with the grain of salt it deserves. It's a break down of why it is stupid
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Gandalf wrote: 2024-01-29 10:17pm Is there a legal requirement for a certain amount of accessibility for immigration centre services?
Good luck enforcing that, anywhere, without Trade Sanctions/Military Occupation.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

MC_Lovecraft wrote: 2024-01-29 10:06pm Refusing to take in these people and process them as asylum seekers is a violation of international law, and it's something both Democrats and Republicans are guilty of.
Actually a lot of asylum seekers are being allowed in, and to stay, and the Republicans are hopping made about it because they don't want anyone coming in for any reason and are pushing the line every immigrant is an enemy.[/quote]

Also - international law is a bit of a joke because who the hell is going to enforce it? Sure, major powers might impose penalties on nations with little power but no one is capable of stopping the big boys without a major war. That's why Russia is still beating up Ukraine, China does whatever they want in Asia and Africa, and the US is a global bully. "International law" usually boils down to lip service and in the end might makes right rules.
Every administration going back to at least 9/11, and the "temporary" crossing closures which never re-opened, has operated an illegal immigration policy.
Ditto for Europe.

The root problem is that there are millions of people finding their current circumstances so intolerable they're willing to risk death to go elsewhere. That level of motivation is not dissuaded by walls or fences, much less legal or bureaucratic paperwork. The immigration controls that have kept things relatively under control since the late 1940's are breaking down because they weren't designed for this. And it will only get worse.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The real problem here is that Biden is too much of a weenie to send in the Army like Eisenhower and Kennedy did (and Johnson threatened to do) when states started this seditious bullshit. He spent his entire career mollycoddling white supremacists and 80-year-old leopards don't change their spots.

Every so often, white supremacists in this country whip themselves into a frenzy when they think the government has become too friendly towards THOSE PEOPLE. The most obvious example is the southern states who started an armed rebellion in the instant Lincoln was elected. A more recent example was when Clinton was elected and militia nuts started howling at the moon, shooting police officers and blowing up government buildings. Raw Story pointed out that the vast majority of January 6th putschists came from congressional districts that in the last few years went from majority white to majority non-white. Abbott's little freak show at the Rio Grande is part of this rancid tradition.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Elfdart wrote: 2024-02-01 05:13pm The real problem here is that Biden is too much of a weenie to send in the Army like Eisenhower and Kennedy did (and Johnson threatened to do) when states started this seditious bullshit.
Eisenhower, Kennedy and Johnson didn't have to deal with a very large bloc within Congress that was openly backing the seditionists.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
3-Body Problem
Youngling

Post by 3-Body Problem »

Zaune wrote: 2024-02-02 06:43am
Elfdart wrote: 2024-02-01 05:13pm The real problem here is that Biden is too much of a weenie to send in the Army like Eisenhower and Kennedy did (and Johnson threatened to do) when states started this seditious bullshit.
Eisenhower, Kennedy and Johnson didn't have to deal with a very large bloc within Congress that was openly backing the seditionists.
So why don't the Democrats ever use the same tactics to prevent the Republicans from doing as they please? It feels like one side is willing to use the entire rulebook and then some to get their way while the other side can't even agree on what they actually stand for.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Zaune wrote: 2024-02-02 06:43am
Are you kidding me? Almost half of Kennedy's and Johnson's own party were Dixiecrats.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Oh, I dare say they were. But they probably weren't brazen enough to be calling for the National Guard to refuse the Commander-In-Chief's orders or worse.

I can't really fault Biden for not wanting to be the president who gave the order that kicked off the Second War of Southern Aggression, even if not coming down hard on Abbott, DeSantis et al will have consequences as well.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Zaune wrote: 2024-02-02 11:39am Oh, I dare say they were. But they probably weren't brazen enough to be calling for the National Guard to refuse the Commander-In-Chief's orders or worse.

I can't really fault Biden for not wanting to be the president who gave the order that kicked off the Second War of Southern Aggression, even if not coming down hard on Abbott, DeSantis et al will have consequences as well.
Biden's got a lot on his plate right now. The Airstrike in Jordan is probably going to take prescidence for a bit.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Sometimes one has to sacrifice the visceral satisfaction of punching someone in the teeth for a quieter strategy that will produce better long term results. Or Biden's distracted. Or doesn't know what he's doing. I do know that as much as I'd like to see various Texas politicians humbled/put in their place doing so might just make them a hero to their "base" and cause them to gather more support.

Just as happy I'm not the one making those decisions. I don't know about Biden, but I'm terrible at politics and if I was in charge I'd probably screw it up.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Broomstick wrote: 2024-02-03 04:54am Sometimes one has to sacrifice the visceral satisfaction of punching someone in the teeth for a quieter strategy that will produce better long term results. Or Biden's distracted. Or doesn't know what he's doing. I do know that as much as I'd like to see various Texas politicians humbled/put in their place doing so might just make them a hero to their "base" and cause them to gather more support.

Just as happy I'm not the one making those decisions. I don't know about Biden, but I'm terrible at politics and if I was in charge I'd probably screw it up.
So, you're the same level of qualifications as most people elected to public office?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

For a republican, she's hopelessly overqualified.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Solauren wrote: 2024-02-08 08:58pm
So, you're the same level of qualifications as most people elected to public office?
Yep. Honestly, we have appallingly low standards for public office in this country.
Batman wrote: 2024-02-08 10:21pm For a republican, she's hopelessly overqualified.
True. But for the record I'm not nor have I ever been a Republican. Or a member of any political party.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Broomstick wrote: 2024-02-09 04:25am
Solauren wrote: 2024-02-08 08:58pm
Yep. Honestly, we have appallingly low standards for public office in this country.
Batman wrote: 2024-02-08 10:21pm For a republican, she's hopelessly overqualified.
True. But for the record I'm not nor have I ever been a Republican. Or a member of any political party.
Are you in a red or blue area? You could run as a democrat :mrgreen:
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I'm in a blue-to-purple area of a red state. No desire to run for public office.

Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Broomstick wrote: 2024-02-09 04:25am True. But for the record I'm not nor have I ever been a Republican. Or a member of any political party.
"I belong to no organized political party; I'm a Democrat." --Will Rogers

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker