VOYAGER 2 : Lost Communication

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

VOYAGER 2 : Lost Communication

Post by LadyTevar »

Wrong Command tilts Voyager 2's Disk off-course

TL:DR - they sent the wrong code, Voyager's communication disk is now 2degrees off where it should be, so we're not getting any messages, and whatever it's sending is missing the target by (at this point) millions of miles.

Is this how we get V'ger? ;)
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: VOYAGER 2 : Lost Communication

Post by Lord Revan »

I think we need to send more probes named Voyager before we get that ;)
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Only in the prime timeline. Since we obviously DON'T live in the prime timeline (the lack of the eugenic wars is something of a giveaway)I wouldn't be too certain about that :P
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

NASA hears signal from Voyager 2 spacecraft after mistakenly cutting contact
After days of silence, NASA has heard from Voyager 2 in interstellar space billions of miles away.

Flight controllers accidentally sent a wrong command nearly two weeks ago that tilted the spacecraft’s antenna away from Earth and severed contact.

But now, NASA's Deep Space Network, giant radio antennas across the globe, picked up a “heartbeat signal," meaning the 46-year-old craft is alive and operating, project manager Suzanne Dodd said in an email on Tuesday.

The news “buoyed our spirits,” Ms Dodd said.

Light controllers at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California will now try to turn Voyager 2’s antenna back toward Earth.

If the command doesn’t work - and controllers doubt it will - they’ll have to wait until October for an automatic spacecraft reset.

The antenna is only a mere 2% off-kilter.

The craft - one of only two to have ever made it beyond our solar system - is more than 12 billion miles (19 billion kilometres) away.

It takes more than 18 hours for a signal to reach Earth from so far away.

In the coming week, the Canberra antenna - part of NASA's Deep Space Network - will also bombard Voyager 2’s vicinity with the correct command, in hopes it hits its mark, according to NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, which manages the Voyager missions.

Otherwise, NASA will have to wait until October for an automatic spacecraft reset that should restore communication, according to officials.

Voyager 2 was launched in 1977 to explore the outer planets, just a couple weeks ahead of its identical twin, Voyager 1.

Still in touch with Earth, Voyager 1 is now nearly 15 billion miles (24 billion kilometers) away, making it humanity's most distant spacecraft.

Both spacecraft were designed to find and study the edge of our solar system.

Voyager 1 has been used to study Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune, according to NASA.

In 2018, more than 40 years after its launch, Voyager 2 entered interstellar space - the parts of the universe between star systems - in 2018.

Voyager 2 was the first human-made object to fly past the planet Uranus. The spacecraft discovered more than a dozen new moons during its years in space.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

They keep saying it's "Only 2% off course", but they don't explain what that MEANS over such a long distance.

Hell, cutting a piece of fabric, if you're 2% off course, by the time you've cut 3yards you've got a difference of 1-2inches of fabric (which is why you draw a LINE to follow, dammit!)

So, they really should be explaining for the math-deficient how that 2% error magnifies with distance. Thankfully, Voyager is broadcasting in a cone, so we got brushed with the edge of the 'heartbeat'. And, while Canberra will be broadcasting in a wide cone, Voyager could still miss the message if the receiver is 'cupped' the wrong way.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Voy2 is about 19 billion km away from us - a 2% misalignment means that it is aiming at a spot about 2/3 of a billion km off target...
Which is like 4 times the distance to the sun, so it's pretty much aiming at Jupiter, to put it in a ballpark...
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

LaCroix wrote: 2023-08-02 08:46am Voy2 is about 19 billion km away from us - a 2% misalignment means that it is aiming at a spot about 2/3 of a billion km off target...
Which is like 4 times the distance to the sun, so it's pretty much aiming at Jupiter, to put it in a ballpark...
YES!
But none of the articles are explaining that.
Hell, the only reason we might have even HEARD the heartbeat is it reflected off Jupiter or something!

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-08-02 04:52pm
LaCroix wrote: 2023-08-02 08:46am Voy2 is about 19 billion km away from us - a 2% misalignment means that it is aiming at a spot about 2/3 of a billion km off target...
YES!
But none of the articles are explaining that.
Hell, the only reason we might have even HEARD the heartbeat is it reflected off Jupiter or something!
To clarify - I translated 2% to 2 degrees, as 90 degree means 100% not on target. Back of the napkin, but since 2% without floating digits is already FAAAAR into the BotN calc territory given the distances involved, it is as good as you can get...

Yeah, at this distance, even a 1 arcsecond error (1/5000 degree divergence) collimated laser beam would be a cone with a 100km radius, and would be scattered enough to be a couple thousand km off target and still hit it with a stray signal. Given that Voy2 is using radio and a dish, it is pretty much hosing the whole solar system in it's transmission, you just need to have equipment sensitive enough and isolated from any other interference.

So all we do is to swing our equipment around and find a reflection, somewhere...

Thats why they are trying the same trick in reverse - which is trickier, as there is little to bounce and scatter the signal off near voyager, and they need to get it quite close to proper alignment. Not perfect, but close enough to overcome the signal threshold. What they (most likely) are doing is sending the signal out with increasing power and in constantly slightly modified directions and hope to get the ball into the pocket.
It is a hail mary tactic, but you only need one stray asteroid at the right spot and it could work.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

And, as they've been saying, even if it doesn't work, Voyager has an automatic reset coming up in October. Assuming that manuever goes as planned, we'll have contact again in a couple months.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

And... eventually we will lose all contact with it. We all hope it's later rather than sooner, but that day will inevitably come. If it is now, well, that probe performed far, far in excess of expectations.

But I hope it continues to phone home for much, much longer.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

It'd have to on functioning 'ridiculously' long to get anywhere interesting. but given how long the thing's been operating, even having to wait until October to reestablish contact doesn't seem so bad.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Huh... I had to doubled-check when they were launched. V-2 in August 1977, V1 in Sept 1977.
Rather ironically, New River Gorge Bridge was opened the 3rd weekend of October, 1977, and we all know what happened May 1977.

I turned 7 in Sept 1977. The Voyagers have been traveling nearly all my life, and only just a few years ago hit the edge of the Solar System.
Makes one think... and ask which one will outlive the rest?
(Hopefully the Bridge.)

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

LadyTevar wrote: 2023-08-03 09:08pm Huh... I had to doubled-check when they were launched. V-2 in August 1977, V1 in Sept 1977.
Rather ironically, New River Gorge Bridge was opened the 3rd weekend of October, 1977, and we all know what happened May 1977.

I turned 7 in Sept 1977. The Voyagers have been traveling nearly all my life, and only just a few years ago hit the edge of the Solar System.
(Hopefully the Bridge.)
Quite a lot, though you'll have to be more specific I'm afraid :mrgreen:
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2023-08-03 11:25pm
LadyTevar wrote: 2023-08-03 09:08pm Huh... I had to doubled-check when they were launched. V-2 in August 1977, V1 in Sept 1977.

(Hopefully the Bridge.)
Quite a lot, though you'll have to be more specific I'm afraid :mrgreen:
I meant Star Wars, ya silly bugger.

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Batman wrote: 2023-08-03 06:05pm It'd have to on functioning 'ridiculously' long to get anywhere interesting. but given how long the thing's been operating, even having to wait until October to reestablish contact doesn't seem so bad.
Isn't it still getting interesting readings because nothing else has gone that far out ?

Though its power supply is decaying. NASA have had to decide which instruments remain powered with its dwindling power budget for a while now. Eventually there won't be enough power for anything except the radio.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

NASA FULLY BACK IN CONTACT!

Having Canberra bombard the general area with the new instructions worked, Voyager 2 got the message and turned the right direction. All is well, until they run out of power sometime "after 2025".

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I'm sure most of the people who helped design and build this probe are dead by now. Do you think they'd be proud it's still operational and sending useful data, or disappointed that we're still depending on it instead of building observatories on the moons of Saturn or something by now?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

How long ago did it complete the mission it was launched for ?

The main reason it's failing now is because the RTG isn't producing as much power as it used to. If Voyager 2 lasts until it runs out of power, then will have remained operational for as long as it was physically possible for it to stay operational.

They should be proud of their work.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Part of me wishes we could figure out a way to turn Voyager and the other probes around and return them to Earth.

Wouldn't it be awesome to be able to go to a museum and see objects that actually left the Solar System?
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Solauren wrote: 2023-08-05 07:09pm Part of me wishes we could figure out a way to turn Voyager and the other probes around and return them to Earth.

Wouldn't it be awesome to be able to go to a museum and see objects that actually left the Solar System?
OMG YES THIS!
But they really don't have the power to turn back. It was a One-Way Mission from the start, and I think even then they were trusting to gravity slingshot and solar wind + inertia to travel as far as the planets. I doubt either Voyager has enough of an engine to return to the Heliosphere, much less somewhere we could reach them.

No... sometime in the next 200yrs we might go out and grab them, assuming someone's left who cares enough.

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Zaune wrote: 2023-08-05 04:21pm I'm sure most of the people who helped design and build this probe are dead by now. Do you think they'd be proud it's still operational and sending useful data, or disappointed that we're still depending on it instead of building observatories on the moons of Saturn or something by now?
I would assume proud. Any time someone designs something that works and proves useful beyond original specs they're usually proud
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice