Trump Dump: Internal Policy (Thread I)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Trump Dump: Internal Policy (Thread I)

Post by Simon_Jester »

No, no, see, I totally believe that everything here is terrible.

I just think it is entirely possible for Trump to fire a man who promptly gets replaced by another man who would be worse for Trump. Trump would then presumably get mad at that guy and fire him, too. But it wouldn't stop him from firing the first guy.

It's not that I don't think Trump and the Congressional Republicans are in the early (or middle?) stages of trying to purge law enforcement to get away with massive corruption and selling out to a foreign power.

It's just that Trump is going to be a dumbass about doing so, because he's a dumbass about everything, even if he's sometimes a dumbass capable of acting in his own direct self-interest.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Thanas wrote: 2018-01-30 02:58pmIf the replacement would have been worse for Trump then there would be no reason to replace McCabe in the first place.
I agree that it was bad, though McCabe was going to be retiring in March, so there would have been a need to replace him soon. It's also Wray who appoints the replacement, since he's the director, and he has reportedly been pushing back against Trump's attempts to undermine the FBI.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

So, boycotting the State of the Union, though the reports that Trump is going to say something big regarding North Korea have me a bit nervous.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I find the man so revolting I won't bother to watch - the BBC and LeMonde will no doubt have the highlights, especially for foreign policy matters (domestic may have to watch several domestic media sources and cross-reference for accuracy.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Thanas wrote: 2018-01-30 02:58pm If the replacement would have been worse for Trump then there would be no reason to replace McCabe in the first place.
The Rachel Maddow theory about the reason for getting rid of McCabe is that he's on the list of senior FBI employees to whom then-Director Comey gave contemporaneous accounts regarding Comey's conversations with President Trump. There has been an apparent purging from the FBI of all those on that list, and the theory goes that this is not a coincidence, with the end game being the discrediting of those officials, and therefore the discrediting of Comey himself. Seems believable to me.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

"It's 2018 and of course the upholstery pattern at Congress House Chamber is literally swastikas. Time for a drink...or bottle."

What the hell are the SCP Foundation doing? This Are We Cool Yet? prank has got way out of hand...

(Better to laugh than to cry, right?)
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Broomstick wrote: 2018-01-30 09:15pm I find the man so revolting I won't bother to watch - the BBC and LeMonde will no doubt have the highlights, especially for foreign policy matters (domestic may have to watch several domestic media sources and cross-reference for accuracy.
I didn't watch, but my Mum had it playing in the background. I felt sick listening to the Republicans applaud him, and immediately thought of a line from Revenge of the Sith.

"So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Well, yes, I don't think anybody is denying that Trump is actively trying to cleanse the FBI, but per Simon's point that's no reason for us to believe he necessarily has to do a good job of it. Impetuously firing someone he perceives as a threat without doing the due diligence (or listening to advisors) concerning the probably replacement sounds like his M.O.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Ziggy Stardust wrote: 2018-01-31 08:24pm Well, yes, I don't think anybody is denying that Trump is actively trying to cleanse the FBI, but per Simon's point that's no reason for us to believe he necessarily has to do a good job of it. Impetuously firing someone he perceives as a threat without doing the due diligence (or listening to advisors) concerning the probably replacement sounds like his M.O.
Thing is, even someone as inept as Trump (and he's not actually all that inept when it comes to manipulating the media and the legal system) can become a tyrant if they have a major party almost lock-step behind everything they do.

Trump is absolutely an existential threat to the rule of law in America.

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

I think it's funny how everybody seemingly has missed that Trump asked Congress to grant every Cabinet secretary powers that pretty much end the rule of law.

"remove federal employees who undermine the public trust or fail the American people"

I'm pretty sure that Mueller is undermining public trust. So are certain FBI personal. And pretty much every person working in the government has failed the American people, somehow, sometime.

Of course, they will happily lay down those powers after the crisis... Whom am I kidding?
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yes. Trump is absolutely trying to make himself effectively dictator of America.

FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Is it the point where we have to admit to ourselves that we’re living in a work of fiction, yet? Because the GOP train hitting the garbage truck is where I’m either losing my ability to suspend disbelief or touch with reality...
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I think we all entered the Mirror Universe on November 8th, 2016.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Or you stayed in the same universe and are just more aware of just how fucked up it actually is.

I see Trump and his movement as just America without the shiny veneer.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-02-01 01:35pm Yes. Trump is absolutely trying to make himself effectively dictator of America.
Isn't this sort of how Julius Caesar became emperor?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Gandalf wrote: 2018-02-01 03:10pm Or you stayed in the same universe and are just more aware of just how fucked up it actually is.

I’m with you. I’m just pretty sure this universe is fictional, now.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-02-01 01:29pm
Ziggy Stardust wrote: 2018-01-31 08:24pm Well, yes, I don't think anybody is denying that Trump is actively trying to cleanse the FBI, but per Simon's point that's no reason for us to believe he necessarily has to do a good job of it. Impetuously firing someone he perceives as a threat without doing the due diligence (or listening to advisors) concerning the probably replacement sounds like his M.O.
Thing is, even someone as inept as Trump (and he's not actually all that inept when it comes to manipulating the media and the legal system) can become a tyrant if they have a major party almost lock-step behind everything they do.

Trump is absolutely an existential threat to the rule of law in America.
This is entirely true.
Gandalf wrote: 2018-02-01 03:10pmOr you stayed in the same universe and are just more aware of just how fucked up it actually is.

The thing is, they're not a particularly good fit for the general arc of American historical political movements. The combination of views and the sheer personal ghoulishness are different enough that while they're definitely "just" a logical evolution of part of the US, they're not a plausible match for the whole of the thing.

It's not even a question of "no, the real America isn't that villainous," either. If the real America is/were that villainous, it'd be differently villainous than this.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yeah. I don't care how much you think America sucks, or how much it actually does suck- Trump is not normal, and should not be normalized.

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Broomstick wrote: 2018-02-01 03:39pm
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-02-01 01:35pm Yes. Trump is absolutely trying to make himself effectively dictator of America.
Isn't this sort of how Julius Caesar became emperor?
I guess, I mean if you focus on that they both give speeches and had statues engraved of them, though I doubt anyone ASKED for Trump to make sculptures.

Caesar was a conquering war hero who returned with a personal army at his back and had to fight a civil war. The people loved him as did most of what you could wrangle under the title of "military." Trump has done what? Got a Navy Seal killed in a botched raid? He's got about a 40/40 split for support in the military, which "support" is a huge farcry from "we'll help prop this guy up on a throne," and less support among military officers.

And his rhetoric seems to be showing huge cracks in his own party, though that might just be timing. Keep fighting him (politically mind you, not with knives) and he'll fold. The whole GOP will fold at this point since they are fighting a losing war on both economic and social issues. The current GOP is facing the reality of the only people who will be willing to vote for them in the future are those who just will never vote Democrat. And there's no "Tea Party" regressive fossils to dig up this time.

What Trump may or may not want and what he has access to are two very different things. The mid-terms will show more, but he's already seemed prime to drag the GOP down harder than Bush did and do it in only 4 years. And all this is his own fault as his actions are directly screwing the people who put him in power. Yes, there's group that will live and die by red, but the people who swapped to him after diving for Obama are about to get shit on by his policies this year.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I agree that if liberals and progressives (and the last vestiges of moderate conservatism) stand their ground, we can stop Trump.

But I am also very much afraid that he and his supporters won't go off to prison/political irrelevancy, respectively, without an attempt to hold power by force. And that in any case, the damage he is doing to our institutions could take a generation or more to repair (the numerous far Right judicial appointments are likely to be particularly damaging).

Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Thanas wrote: 2018-01-30 09:19am What a day.

First, Trump triggers a constitutional crisis by refusing to enforce sanctions against Russia. A law that passed the Senate 98-2 and the House 419-3, with no veto. Ergo, Trump is refusing to do his job. WTF-Bomb 1.

Then, the GOP is now investigating the FBI for deep state links and also decides to release a fabricated memo that will most likely serve as the cover for shutting down Mueller. WTF-Bomb 2

Third, Andrew McCabe, who was #2 at the FBI and a target for Trump due to his wife and his cooperation with Mueller, was just forced out.

It seems pretty clear that this administration is behaving in a treasonous manner (just look at how they seem to be more aiming at protecting Putin than obeying the constitution) and that the GOP is preparing political cover to shutter the FBI and the Mueller probe.

If I were in the USA I would look towards protesting right now. This is one of the moments where it will be decided if democracy survives or not. Inaction and not picking a side now is no longer an option.

We are protesting. Even our state governments are working against Trump.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Bob the Gunslinger wrote: 2018-02-02 06:50pm
Thanas wrote: 2018-01-30 09:19am What a day.

First, Trump triggers a constitutional crisis by refusing to enforce sanctions against Russia. A law that passed the Senate 98-2 and the House 419-3, with no veto. Ergo, Trump is refusing to do his job. WTF-Bomb 1.

Then, the GOP is now investigating the FBI for deep state links and also decides to release a fabricated memo that will most likely serve as the cover for shutting down Mueller. WTF-Bomb 2

Third, Andrew McCabe, who was #2 at the FBI and a target for Trump due to his wife and his cooperation with Mueller, was just forced out.

It seems pretty clear that this administration is behaving in a treasonous manner (just look at how they seem to be more aiming at protecting Putin than obeying the constitution) and that the GOP is preparing political cover to shutter the FBI and the Mueller probe.

If I were in the USA I would look towards protesting right now. This is one of the moments where it will be decided if democracy survives or not. Inaction and not picking a side now is no longer an option.

We are protesting. Even our state governments are working against Trump.
I'd also question Thanas's use of the word "treasonous". Treason is defined in the US Constitution very specifically as waging war against the US, or offering aid and comfort to its enemies. What Trump is doing is evil, but I very much doubt that it would reach a legal definition of treason (at least, nothing that has been confirmed to have occurred), unless you define Russia as an "enemy" for the purposes of a treason charge, despite the fact that we are not at war with Russia.

Note, though, that this is a question of legal definitions. It is certainly treasonous in spirit, and in consequences.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

As to doing something about it: everything likely hinges on the elections this November.

The Republican Party has, almost unanimously, shown a willingness to tolerate Trump's despotic actions, and in some cases actively conspire with him to subvert the rule of law. The current Congress cannot be trusted to allow the investigation to proceed, or to remove Trump from office via impeachment or the 25th. Amendment regardless of the circumstances or evidence. Nor can they be trusted to block Trump appointments intended to replace justices and civil servants loyal to the Constitution with lackies loyal to him and to the Alt. Reich agenda.

Whatever hope there is of resolving this crisis via due process depends primarily on retaking control of Congress, by sufficient margins to ensure that we can remove Trump from office as well as block his appointments and protect the investigations.

Failing that, our only option becomes public resistance. I'd much prefer it to be non-violent resistance, civil disobedience, etc. But I am also under no illusions that such resistance could and likely would be met by violence from the other side, and could quickly escalate to armed clashes.

In short, my view is that if we don't win in 2018, we are very likely going to reach a point, within a year or two, where our choice, practically speaking, is between accepting dictatorship, and civil war. Note that this is not an endorsement of political violence on my part, but simply a very grim assessment of where we are likely headed if we continue down this course.

God help us if we reach that point.

Edit: And, it goes without saying, VOTE. Don't just vote, volunteer for a campaign. Donate. If you're in a district where a Republican is running unchallenged for state or local office (as often happens), considering running yourself.

There has not been a more important election, I think, since the 19th. Century.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

My thoughts on the latest impending shutdown, and weather the Democrats should concede on DACA and immigration:

"Stand firm. The tug has to come, & better now, than any time hereafter."- President Abraham Lincoln.

U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

^whether.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford