UK Party Leadership contests

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

jwl
Jedi Master

UK Party Leadership contests

Post by jwl »

While there's been rather a lot of posts in the US primaries thread, everyone seems to have forgotten about the UK party leadership contests, so here is a refresh:

Lib Dem leadership contest is over, Tim Farron won:
Tim Farron, the MP for Westmorland and Lonsdale, has been named the new leader of the Liberal Democrats, winning the vote among party members by 56.5% to 43.5%.

Farron, a former party president who was one of the eight Lib Dems to retain their seats in May’s general election, beat the MP for North Norfolk, Norman Lamb, by 4,500 votes out of a total of 34,000.

The contest was triggered by the resignation of Nick Clegg, who quit the day after the party lost 48 of its 56 MPs, leaving it the fourth party in the Commons.

Voting closed at 2pm on Wednesday and the result was announced on Twitter, through the Lib Dem press office account, on Thursday, putting to an end 10 weeks of busy campaigning.

Minutes after the result was announced, Farron tweeted his followers to thank them for their support.

Lamb said the leadership election had energised the party and that he gave his full backing to Farron. He said: “Tim Farron will be a passionate leader of our party, championing social justice and leading from the front in our campaign to rebuild the liberal voice in our country.”

A key figure on the left of the party, Farron was always the favourite to win the contest, polling 58% of the vote in a survey of party members conducted on Monday.

Speaking to an audience of around 500 party members after his victory, Farron described the Lib Dem defeat at the general election as “overwhelming, desperate, heartbreaking.” He said the party’s election campaign had focused too much on what the party wasn’t instead of what it was.

“So let me be crystal clear what the Liberal Democrats are for: we are the party that sees the best in people not the worst,” said Farron to deafening applause.

“We are the party that believes that the role of government is to help us to be the best that we can be, no matter who we are or what our background.”

Despite being widely respected for his campaigning on mental health, Lamb, who served as Clegg’s parliamentary private secretary and the care minister under the coalition government, struggled to shake off the image of being a continuity candidate.

Lamb won the support of many of the party’s most senior figures, including former leaders Menzies Campbell and Paddy Ashdown and the founding member of the Social Democratic party, Shirley Williams, whereas the bulk of Farron’s support came more from the grassroots of the party.

Though Farron claims to be passionately proud of the Lib Dems’ record in government, he voted against some of the coalition’s most unpopular policies, including the bedroom tax and, crucially, tuition fees – something he admits will have helped his campaign.

Farron now faces the daunting challenge of rebuilding the party, which saw its worst result since it was founded with the merger of the Liberal party and the SDP in 1988.

His approach will be to start at the very bottom. “Pick a ward and win it … There’s a small foothill, scale it,” he told the Guardian before the vote, arguing that the party will need to make big gains at local elections if it is going to stand a chance of winning back some of those 48 lost seats in 2020.

The Lib Dems under Farron will not try to be outspoken on every issue, but will instead champion issues that the two more populist parties are not willing to tackle. They will campaign against the right to buy being extended to Housing Association tenants and be unequivocal about the tragedy of the Mediterranean migrant crisis while extolling the benefits of immigration.

“If we cheese off 70% of the electorate, but 30% embrace us, we’ll have that,” he told the Guardian in an interview during the campaign.

Despite calls from Danny Alexander, the former Lib Dem chief secretary to the Treasury, for the party not to vacate the centre ground and become “a sort of soggy Syriza in sandals”, Farron has been clear that he is not a centrist politician.

“I think centrism is pointless. It’s uninspiring. I’m not a centrist,” he said at a recent hustings in Bristol, though he refused to say where he saw himself on the political spectrum, insisting politics was more complicated than left and right.

Clegg welcomed Farron’s victory, describing him as “a remarkable campaigner” and a man of “the utmost integrity and conviction” who would always have his support.

The former Lib Dem leader said in a statement: “He is a natural communicator with a rare ability to inspire people and rally them to our cause. He knows how to win and I have no doubt he can pick the party up and get us fighting again. It has been a pleasure to serve alongside Tim in parliament and a privilege to consider him a friend.”

The election – which saw the candidates take part in 25 hustings and more than 100 campaign events – was superficially civil, with both candidates professing their admiration for one another. But last month, Lamb suspended two members of his campaign team when they were found to have privately polled party members about what Lamb’s aides considered to be Farron’s illiberal voting record on abortion and LGBT rights.

Farron is a committed Christian and was among nine Lib Dem MPs who abstained at a third reading of the marriage (same-sex couples) bill, a move he attributes to concerns about aspects of the bill relating to “protecting people’s right to conscience”.

When asked to name policy areas where the two candidates differed, Lamb would cite Farron’s opposition to assisted dying, which Lamb said was fundamental to his own liberalism.

Farron told the Guardian during the campaign that he did not think he would be receiving the same level of scrutiny of his religious beliefs if he were Jewish or Muslim, and that people who were concerned his faith would affect his ability to lead a liberal party should “look more carefully into what liberalism really is”.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... rty-leader

Labour leadership contest ongoing, Jeremy Corbyn (a rebel MP very much on the left of the party) has an unexpected lead.
BBC article on candidates (irrelevant bits cut out):
The candidates: Andy Burnham, Yvette Cooper, Jeremy Corbyn and Liz Kendall
Key dates: Ballot papers will be sent out on 14 August; voting can take place by post or online. They must be returned by 10 September. The result is on 12 September
Who can vote? All party members, registered supporters and affiliated supporters - including those joining via a union
The voting system? The Alternative Vote system is being used so voters are asked to rank candidates in order of preference
How does it work? If no candidate gets 50% of all votes cast, the candidate in fourth place is eliminated. Their second preference votes are then redistributed among the remaining three. If there is still no winner, the third place candidate is eliminated with their preferences redistributed. It is then a head-to-head between the last two candidates

Andy Burnham
The Labour MP for Leigh since 2001, Andy Burnham has plenty of government experience and is the current bookmakers' favourite.
Mr Burnham served as health secretary under Gordon Brown and previously as culture secretary and chief secretary to the Treasury.
He stood for the leadership in 2010 but lost out to Ed Miliband, going on to hold the shadow health brief under Mr Miliband's leadership. He is said to have strong trade union support.
Declaring his intention to stand, he said Labour must support the "aspirations of everyone".
Mr Burnham says he'll widen Labour's appeal by taking the party out of the "Westminster bubble", with a vision to helping "everyone get on in life".
He has also pledged to take a tougher line on opposition to the government's welfare reforms, following a split within the party over its stance not to oppose the welfare bill.
Mr Burnham is married with three children. Before he entered politics he worked for a newspaper and a publishing company.

Yvette Cooper
Another former chief secretary to the Treasury - as well as a work and pensions minister under Gordon Brown - Yvette Cooper has been shadow home secretary for the past four years.
A strong Commons performer, she has given Home Secretary Theresa May a hard time over matters including passport delays, border controls and extremism.
She did not stand to succeed Mr Brown in 2010 - her husband Ed Balls did.
Announcing her bid this time around, she said: "Our promise of hope wasn't strong enough to drown out the Tory and UKIP voices of fear. That's what we need to change."
She says she has the "strength, experience and progressive ideas" that Labour needs to win again, promising a "stronger" economy and "fairer, less divided society".
She says she wants to combat child poverty, has pledged to campaign against government plans to limit future child tax credit to two children and to bring about a childcare and digital "revolution".
Ms Cooper is married to former Labour shadow chancellor Ed Balls, and the couple have three children. She worked as a journalist prior to her political career.

Jeremy Corbyn
The veteran left-wing MP for Islington North entered the contest to get an "anti-austerity" voice into the debate on Labour's future.
The 66-year-old told his local newspaper, the Islington Gazette, he had decided to stand in response to an "overwhelming" desire among Labour members for a "broader" range of candidates.
After a last-minute scramble for nominations, he made it on to the ballot paper just before the deadline thanks to a number of MPs who did not want him to be leader "lending" him their nominations "to broaden the debate".
Mr Corbyn, who is promising to protect public services and increase taxes on the wealthy, was seen as a rank outsider, but support for his candidacy has risen significantly - with one poll putting him in the lead.
A vice-chair of CND and a columnist for the Morning Star, Mr Corbyn has frequently been at odds with his party over the past 20 years, opposing the Iraq war and other foreign interventions and backing public ownership of the banks.
He also wants to scrap Britain's nuclear weapons programme, and tuition fees in England.
Mr Corbyn has been married three times and has three children with his second wife. He used to be a trade union organiser and a Haringey councillor, in London.

Liz Kendall
Shadow health minister Liz Kendall was the first Labour MP to say they wanted a crack at the party's top job, saying a "fundamentally new approach" was needed.
First elected to Parliament in 2010 as MP for Leicester West and appointed to the shadow front bench the same year, Ms Kendall is seen as a Blairite contender.
She is a former special adviser to Harriet Harman and then Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt who has argued for reform of public services.
Ms Kendall has acknowledged she is the "outside candidate" but says the party needs "a fresh start".
She says she'll regain the public's trust in Labour on the economy, promising sound public finances and protection of the poor and vulnerable. Her pitch stresses the need to make the party electable, saying that the party won't be able to help people if it's in opposition.
Ms Kendall is not married and does not have children. She worked for two think-tanks: the Institute for Public Policy Research and the King's Fund, and was also a political adviser to Harriet Harman in the 1990s.

Labour's election rules
MPs wishing to stand as leader and deputy leader have to be nominated by 15% of their colleagues in the Parliamentary Labour Party to be eligible to stand.
As Labour now has 232 MPs, this means prospective candidates had to get at least 34 signatures. That means the maximum size of any field is six contenders.
Under rules agreed last year, all Labour Party members, registered supporters and affiliated supporters - including union members - will be allowed a maximum of one vote each on a one member, one vote system.
When the election is held, they will be asked to rank candidates in order of preference.
If no candidate gets 50% of all votes cast, the votes will be added up and the candidate with the fewest votes eliminated. Their 2nd preference votes will then be redistributed until one candidate has 50% of all votes cast.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32654262
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: UK Party Leadership contests

Post by Crazedwraith »

I must admit I've not been paying attention at all to this. Aside from scraps of news on the radio here and there.

Corbyn did impress me with the Rebelling on the Welfare issue though. The whole 'clearly the election shows people don't want use to oppose this' thing from Harriet Harmon just seemed stupid to me. The people who elected you specifically didn't feel that way and you're in opposition. You're supposed to actually oppose.

He also seems to be the one trying to make labour actually different and not just Tory-lite. But again, only surface impressions from bbc news.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I don't agree with Corbyn on everything -particularly getting rid of Trident- but at least he's offering something more than a watered-down version of the same policies as the Conservatives. Even accepting the argument that some of his policies are a hard sell in the political and media climate in this country, we can't have a healthy democracy in this country if the main political parties agree on everything except a few minor details.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I think the Labour race is showing how deeply the party has bought into the centrist fallacy as a means to being "electable" (the idea that the political centre is "halfway to the other guys" no matter how far out their position is), and so they are, and basically have been since they went out of office, letting the Tories decide their policy because they are just reacting to what the tories announce and staying a little to the left of it.

Which is (one reason) why nobody voted for them, because they don't get the benefit of having a clear message they believe in when they're fully allowing the opponent to set the terms of the debate.
Minischoles
Jedi Knight

Post by Minischoles »

I think its quite funny to watch all the Blairite labour MPs panicking as Corbyn surges ahead - they honestly believe that they lost the election due to not being centre right enough, they don't realise that the very reason they lost the election was by being indistinguishable from the Tories. They can't just double down and keep chasing after the Tories to the right because that won't work.

I know i'll be voting for Corbyn - i'm a member of the CWU so I get to vote in the election - while I do disagree with some of his policies, I would much much rather have a genuine left candidate than another Tory-Lite Blairite in place.
“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary. “
- James Nicoll
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Crazedwraith wrote:I must admit I've not been paying attention at all to this. Aside from scraps of news on the radio here and there.

Corbyn did impress me with the Rebelling on the Welfare issue though. The whole 'clearly the election shows people don't want use to oppose this' thing from Harriet Harmon just seemed stupid to me. The people who elected you specifically didn't feel that way and you're in opposition. You're supposed to actually oppose.

He also seems to be the one trying to make labour actually different and not just Tory-lite. But again, only surface impressions from bbc news.
The tory welfare policy was the most popular policy they had if I remember correctly: most likely, a significant number of the people who voted labour also support the tory welfare policy but voted labour under other reasons. But then, according to polls most of the public also want to renationalise the railways, energy and royal mail so that doesn't mean left-wing polices are toxic to the public. And regardless, if a party is going to do exactly what the opinion polls say on every issue, why not ditch the parliamentary system altogether and just base policy directly on poll results?

On Corbyn, I don't like him on paper, but when I hear him speak it seems very much to me he is the best candidate.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

I like him and dislike him for the same reason, he's an idealouge. He sticks with what he believes in, damn the evidence.

Which is a huge, refreshing change to the last 15 years of government by focus group. Part of his support stems from the fact the man has a vision you can buy into, and it's a positive image that isn't based on fear (unlike the peddled the Daily Mail's nightmares about your comfortable house being invaded by brown poor people). Part of his support is sending a message to the broader party that it is ok to be more then just Tory-Lite.
BUT uncompromising belief can lead to uncompromising stupidity. His support of homeopathy being one that especially sticks in the craw.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

He sounds quite a bit like Bernie Sanders over on this side of the Atlantic.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

The Romulan Republic wrote:He sounds quite a bit like Bernie Sanders over on this side of the Atlantic.
Pretty much, actually.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Crazedwraith wrote:He also seems to be the one trying to make labour actually different and not just Tory-lite.
<nod> I used to vote Labour. And when there's an actual Labour party again, I'll consider voting Labour again. At least this seems to be an ever-so-gentle nudge away from the wrong direction.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Here's the breakdown of the poll that puts Corbyn on 53% on first preferences.
https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/08/10/corbyn-pull-ahead/
It's interesting that based on members pre-Miliband, Cooper would be in the lead. Maybe the "Red Ed" reputation of Miliband inspired people more receptive of Corbyn to join the party. This is also interesting because I would expect the collapse of the lib dems and scottish labour's left to move labour rightwards; so it would have to overwhelm these factors at the same time.

Yes, the unions would also have a 1/3 influence on the contest before Miliband reformed the system; but so would the MPs/MEPs, and I doubt they would have backed Corbyn.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Note to Minischoles and anyone else eligible to vote:

Although I dismissed the deputy leader election as irrelevant in the OP, knowledge of recent events means I'm changing my tune on this. Harriet Harman right now seems like an awful deputy leader, and you don't want another one. She's over-stepping her authority as an interim leader with the welfare policy u-turn, and her vetting policy on stopping "entryism" seems to be highly alienating a new members/supporters for no reason whatsoever. Most likely, there isn't enough "entryists" to change the result. If there is, there is likely too many for the MPs to count, and even if they could throwing them all out would cast a lot of public doubt on the result. And regardless, if there are a large number of entryists it's her fault for introducing the £3 sign-up scheme in the first place.

So to prevent another fiasco like this again next time, I suggest you look carefully at the candidates for next deputy leader carefully. Summary from the same BBC article as in the OP:
Deputy leadership contenders
At the same time, a election is taking place for deputy leader, with five candidates in the frame.

Ben Bradshaw
A former journalist and Labour cabinet minister, Ben Bradshaw has been the MP for Exeter since 1997.
He plans a "big tent" approach to ensure Labour does not miss out on votes in the south of England, saying the party has to "broaden its appeal".
Reflecting on who should replace Ed Miliband, he said: "I would prefer to see one of the new generation come forward rather than someone associated with the Blair and Brown era.
"If we really want to win in 2020 - and I think we need to for the country's sake - I would like to see someone from the new generation without that baggage from the past."

Stella Creasy
The Walthamstow MP has a growing reputation as a hard-working campaigning MP.
Another from the 2010 intake, she was praised for campaign against payday loans companies, and has a strong following on social media.
She told the Sunday Mirror: "Too many voters think Labour is no longer a movement for social justice but a machine that only kicks in to gear at election time."

Angela Eagle and fellow Labour MP Frank Field
Shadow environment secretary Angela Eagle plans to travel the country to speak to people who did the "hard graft" in the election campaign.
The MP for Wallasey said Labour could not be "complacent" if it was to reverse its general election defeat.
Ms Eagle, an MP since 1992, held a number of ministerial jobs during the last Labour government and in 2013 became chair of the Labour Party.
She is arguably best-known for having a twin sister, Maria, who is also a Labour MP.

Caroline Flint
The MP for Don Valley has been Labour's shadow energy and climate change secretary since 2011, after a stint heading up the Department for Communities and Local Government.
Ms Flint held on to her current position in the latest shadow cabinet reshuffle.
She also held various ministerial positions during Gordon Brown's premiership, but famously resigned as Europe minister after accusing him of treating her and her female colleagues as "window dressing".

Tom Watson
The MP for West Bromwich since 2001. He has made a name for himself as a prominent backbench campaigner against phone hacking and child sex abuse.
He also played a minor role in the toppling of Tony Blair after resigning as a defence minister and calling for the-then PM to quit in the interest of party and country.
Watson became Labour's campaign chief under Ed Miliband but he quit after a he became embroiled in a row about the role of the Unite union in the candidate selection in Falkirk.
Setting out his pitch for the job, he said: "I'm seeking the deputy leadership to do one thing: write and execute the election battle plan so that our new leader will be prime minister."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32654262
Minischoles
Jedi Knight

Post by Minischoles »

As part of the CWU we're backing Jeremy Corbyn and Angela Eagle which seems like the best choice at this time - Harriet Harman has royally bollocksed up any backing she might have had with her vetoing entry.
“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary. “
- James Nicoll
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

I don't think she's standing again anyway, I'm just hoping you don't end up with another one like her.

I thought you didn't have to vote your union-backed candidate, that was just their recommendation.
Minischoles
Jedi Knight

Post by Minischoles »

We don't but having checked everything she seems our best option - I thought briefly about the others as everyone seems a decent deputy leader but i'll be backing her.

The fun thing is all the Blairites are desperately scrambling now as they realise they're losing - trying to make deals and alliances to ensure that Corbyn doesn't win.
- James Nicoll
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

one of the few party members who's opinion I value on this is backing stella creasy - apparently she gets shit done.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

The first quantitative analysis of the electability of the candidates so far:
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ll-parties
Here's the actual survation article:
http://survation.com/labour-leadership- ... ideo-poll/
and data tables:
http://survation.com/wp-content/uploads ... c0d0h7.pdf

As far as I am concerned, the only direct measures of electability here are "Of the politicians you’ve just seen, which do you think would be most likely to have the best ideas for the future of the UK?" and "Of the politicians you’ve just seen, which do you think would make the best Prime Minister?".

Based on voting intention:
For the prime minister question; Burnham wins for Conservative and undecided voters, Corbyn wins for everyone else.
For the future of the UK question; Corbyn sweeps.

In context, the videos shown beforehand are an section of a bbc interview with each candidate. With Cooper, she dodges a question about welfare to talk about housing and unemployment. With Burnham, he talks about the EU and immigration. With Kendall, she talks about welfare and the deficit. With Corbyn, he talks about the nationalisation of the railways and energy.

So overall according to this, Corbyn and Burnham are top choices for electability, with Corbyn higher. However, this might be because the other two had problematic interviews.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Its a good time for Labour to return to it's left wing roots. The Lib Dems are dead in the water and SNP don't really seem to offer anything.

When Blair and Brown tell the world not to do something my overwhelming reaction is to do exactly the opposite.

My only complaint is that I'm not allowed to join Labour, as a resident of Northern Ireland any attempt I've made to enquire about membership has been answered with a direction to join the SDLP who are nationalist in NI and gave up any pretext about being left wing socialist when they started sucking on Bertie Aherns nuts, the right one.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

whoever told you that was blowing smoke: http://www.labourpartyni.org/
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

madd0ct0r wrote:whoever told you that was blowing smoke: http://www.labourpartyni.org/
That would be the Labour parties main office. They haven't stood a candidate in Northern Ireland since before The Troubles started.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Corbyn Has Been Elected Leader
Veteran left-wing MP Jeremy Corbyn has been elected leader of the Labour Party by a landslide.
Mr Corbyn, who began the contest as a rank outsider, saw off a challenge from frontbenchers Andy Burnham, Yvette Cooper and Liz Kendall.
He gained 251,417 or 59.5% of first preference votes - 40% more than his nearest rival Mr Burnham, who got 19%.
Ms Cooper was third on 17% and Ms Kendall a distant fourth with 4.5% of the vote.

A total of 422,664 people cast a vote - a turnout of 76%. Former minister and Gordon Brown ally Tom Watson was elected deputy leader.
Corbyn supporters chanted "Jez we did" as he took to the stage, putting on his glasses to deliver his acceptance speech.

Commons on the backbenches, promised to fight for a more tolerant and inclusive Britain - and to tackle "grotesque levels of inequality in our society".
He said the leadership campaign "showed our party and our movement, passionate, democratic, diverse, united and absolutely determined in our quest for a decent and better society that is possible for all".
"They are fed up with the inequality, the injustice, the unnecessary poverty. All those issues have brought people in, in a spirit of hope and optimism."
He said his campaign had given the lie to claims that young Britons were apathetic about politics, showing instead that they are "a very political generation that were turned off by the way in which politics was being conducted. We have to, and must, change that."
Mr Corbyn added: "The fight back now of our party gathers speed and gathers pace."

Very interested in how this turns out...
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Sadiq Khan got London major nomination, Tom Watson got deputy leader, Rosie Winterton confirmed to stay as cheif whip.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Zaune wrote:The Russian Embassy's response. They have a point.
Or rather, they would, if the Tories had a track record of murdering their critics.
jwl
Jedi Master

Post by jwl »

Zaune wrote:Image

The Russian Embassy's response. They have a point.
The commenters on that tweet kind of have a point too.