NAACP Offices Vandalised By Inept Terrorist Wannabe

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

NAACP Offices Vandalised By Inept Terrorist Wannabe

Post by Zaune »

Reuters
A homemade bomb exploded outside the offices of the Colorado Springs chapter of the NAACP civil rights group on Tuesday, authorities said, but a gasoline can placed next to the device failed to detonate and no injuries were reported.

An "improvised explosive device" was set off against an exterior wall of the NAACP building, the FBI's Denver field office said in a statement.

"A gasoline can had been placed adjacent to the device, however, the contents of the can did not ignite upon explosion," the statement said.

The FBI did not say whether the country's oldest civil rights organization was specifically targeted or if race played a role in the incident.

A woman who answered the phone at the NAACP office but declined to give her name said people inside the building heard a "loud boom" coming from a lawn area in the rear.

The blast, which occurred about 70 miles south of Denver, caused "only minimal surface charring" to the building, which also houses a hair salon, authorities said.

The FBI and Colorado Springs Police are investigating the incident and are looking for a person of interest who is described as a balding Caucasian man about 40 years old who may be driving a pickup truck, the statement said.
Well, that sure narrows it down. (I'm a terrible person for laughing so hard at that last sentence, aren't I?)
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: NAACP Offices Vandalised By Inept Terrorist Wannabe

Post by Borgholio »

Well, that sure narrows it down. (I'm a terrible person for laughing so hard at that last sentence, aren't I?)
If the suspect was reported as driving a taxi, Raw Shark would be screwed. :-P
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Borgholio wrote:
If the suspect was reported as driving a taxi, Raw Shark would be screwed. :-P
If I was going to blow something up, the NAACP would certainly not be high, or even medium, on my list.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

:lol:

Yeah, balding Caucasians driving a pick up are pretty damn common around here, too, even if Gary, Indiana is majority black. I think every damn white man over 20 in this city is driving a pick up, and more than half seem to be balding if not entirely shaved bare. We're talking Generic White Male territory.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, it's not like this kind of fully generic suspect 'description' hasn't been used to describe blacks at or near the scene of a crime, so... turnabout is fair play, I guess?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I presume Reuters tactfully left out the missing teeth, tattoos and the Confederate-flag bumper sticker.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Zaune wrote:I presume Reuters tactfully left out the missing teeth, tattoos and the Confederate-flag bumper sticker.
Don't forget the Yosemite Sam mudflaps.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Irritating as many people in Springs are, that's not really their style. More likely is half the truck being covered in a rendition of the American flag, mixed with a Jesus fish, a couple Bible verses, and a sanctimonious bumper sticker conflating God, righteousness, and the American way of life.

Not that the culprit in the above crime is necessarily religious, mind; I'm just correcting the stereotyping of Colorado's local crazies.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Simon_Jester wrote:Well, it's not like this kind of fully generic suspect 'description' hasn't been used to describe blacks at or near the scene of a crime, so... turnabout is fair play, I guess?
Absolutely.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:Irritating as many people in Springs are, that's not really their style. More likely is half the truck being covered in a rendition of the American flag, mixed with a Jesus fish, a couple Bible verses, and a sanctimonious bumper sticker conflating God, righteousness, and the American way of life.

Not that the culprit in the above crime is necessarily religious, mind; I'm just correcting the stereotyping of Colorado's local crazies.
Don't forget the Gadsden flag bumper sticker.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

The FBI did not say whether the country's oldest civil rights organization was specifically targeted or if race played a role in the incident.
Because they dont need to.

"Well obviously someone picked an address to bomb out of a phone book. Pay no attention to the fact that bombers are almost always trying to make a political statement."
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:Because they dont need to.

"Well obviously someone picked an address to bomb out of a phone book. Pay no attention to the fact that bombers are almost always trying to make a political statement."
Well, it's possible that the perpetrator had a score to settle with the owner of the hair salon on (I presume) the ground floor of the building, I guess.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I'm glad this idiot decided to try this overly complex plan rather than doing the effective thing and just sticking a burning rag into the gas can and chucking it through a window. It's almost like this guy wanted to fail at anything outside of getting attention.