FL spends $31K per homeless. Housing would cost $10K

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

FL spends $31K per homeless. Housing would cost $10K

Post by Kitsune »

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/201 ... sion-tulsa
Cost of homelessness in Central Florida? $31K per person

Randall Wooten and Samantha Barr fell into homelessness after baby Cheyenne underwent several surgeries in the first year of her life and the bills piled up.

Randall Wooten and Samantha Barr fell into homelessness after… (Judy Watson Tracy, OS Stringer )
May 21, 2014|By Kate Santich, Orlando Sentinel

Living on the streets isn't cheap: Each chronically homeless person in Central Florida costs the community roughly $31,000 a year, a new analysis being released Thursday shows.

The price tag covers the salaries of law-enforcement officers to arrest and transport homeless individuals — largely for nonviolent offenses such as trespassing, public intoxication or sleeping in parks — as well as the cost of jail stays, emergency-room visits and hospitalization for medical and psychiatric issues.

In contrast, providing the chronically homeless with permanent housing and case managers to supervise them would run about $10,000 per person per year, saving taxpayers millions of dollars during the next decade, the report concludes.

The findings are part of an independent economic-impact analysis that will be discussed Thursday afternoon by the Central Florida Commission on Homelessness.

"The numbers are stunning," said the homeless commission's CEO, Andrae Bailey. "Our community will spend nearly half a billion dollars [on the chronically homeless], and at the end of the decade, these people will still be homeless. It doesn't make moral sense, and now we know it doesn't make financial sense."

The vast majority of long-term-homeless residents have some sort of disability, Bailey said. They are veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder; men and women with mental illness; or people with severe physical disabilities.

"These are not people who are just going to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and get a job," Bailey said. "They're never going to get off the streets on their own."

Last fall, the commission spent $15,000 donated by the Orlando Solar Bears to hire the Tulsa, Okla.-based company Creative Housing Solutions, which conducted the analysis. Researchers worked with local homeless outreach programs to identify 107 long-term-homeless residents living in Orange, Osceola or Seminole County. Using actual jail and hospital records, they tracked public expenses through the years to come up with the yearly average of $31,065 per person.

That figure was multiplied by 1,577 — the number of chronically homeless people throughout the three counties. In both cases, the figures were considered conservative.

"We didn't even include the money spent by nonprofit agencies to feed, clothe and sometimes shelter these individuals," said lead researcher Gregory Shinn, associate director of the Mental Health Association Oklahoma in Tulsa. "This is only money that we could document for the individuals we studied — and it's money that is simply being wasted. The law-enforcement costs alone are ridiculous. They're out of control."

The expense is particularly high for the city of Orlando, where many of the chronically homeless live on the streets. The most recent homeless census put the number there at about 900 individuals. In Osceola County, which has an estimated 300 chronically homeless residents, permanent housing for the homeless may be a tougher sell.

"The report's numbers actually reflect more what's going on in Orange County and Orlando," said Niki Whisler, homeless-advocate coordinator for Osceola. "Our priority here are our families, especially in hotels."

But for Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer, the findings validate what he has already proposed, he said.

"I can't say I'm surprised by the cost," Dyer said. "We recognize that a large percentage of these individuals roam the streets of our city."

In his State of the City address in April, Dyer vowed to get a third of the chronically homeless — some 300 people — into what's called permanent supportive housing within three years. Such housing is typically a government-subsidized apartment with a case manager to ensure the tenant is getting medical and psychiatric care and other services.

Researchers estimated the cost of permanent supportive housing at $10,051 per person per year. Housing even half of the region's chronically homeless population would save taxpayers $149 million during the next decade — even allowing for 10 percent to end up back on the streets again.

"We're not going to bat a thousand," Shinn said.

Bob Brown, president and CEO of the Heart of Florida United Way, said the cost analysis underscored the need to take action on chronic homelessness.

"This is no longer [one person] from the Coalition for the Homeless saying we have to do something," Brown said. "This is a reliable consultant who has used proven methods for calculating the cost. Hopefully this will finally get the attention of community and government leaders. We can't wish this away."

Joel Hunter, a homeless-commission member and senior pastor at Longwood's Northland megachurch, said he hoped the faith community would help persuade parishioners that supportive housing is the way to go.

"We're going to need to present to them how much wiser it is to address this problem than to ignore it," he said. "I don't think there is a huge momentum to fix homelessness at the moment, simply because a lot of people don't see it in front of them every day. But if we can make the business case as well as the moral case for them, I think we can build a desire to help those who need it most."

ksantich@tribune.com or 407-420-5503
Second article
http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/0 ... ial-study/
Leaving Homeless Person On The Streets: $31,065. Giving Them Housing: $10,051.
Even if you don’t think society has a moral obligation to care for the least among us, a new study underscores that we have a financial obligation to do so.

Late last week, the Central Florida Commission on Homelessness released a new study showing that, when accounting for a variety of public expenses, Florida residents pay $31,065 per chronically homeless person every year they live on the streets.

The study, conducted by Creative Housing Solutions, an Oklahoma-based consultant group, tracked public expenses accrued by 107 chronically homeless individuals in central Florida. These ranged from criminalization and incarceration costs to medical treatment and emergency room intakes that the patient was unable to afford.

Andrae Bailey, CEO of the commission that released the study, noted to the Orlando Sentinel that most chronically homeless people have a physical or mental disability, such as post-traumatic stress disorder. “These are not people who are just going to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and get a job,” he said. “They’re never going to get off the streets on their own.”

The most recent count found 1,577 chronically homeless individuals living in three central Florida counties — Osceola, Seminole, and Orange, which includes Orlando. As a result, the region is paying nearly $50 million annually to let homeless people languish on the streets.

There is a far cheaper option though: giving homeless people housing and supportive services. The study found that it would cost taxpayers just $10,051 per homeless person to give them a permanent place to live and services like job training and health care. That figure is 68 percent less than the public currently spends by allowing homeless people to remain on the streets. If central Florida took the permanent supportive housing approach, it could save $350 million over the next decade.

This is just the latest study showing how fiscally irresponsible it is for society to allow homelessness to continue. A study in Charlotte earlier this year
found a new apartment complex oriented towards homeless people saved taxpayers $1.8 million in the first year alone. Similarly, the Centennial State will save millions by giving homeless people in southeast Colorado a place to live. And in Osceola County, Florida, researchers earlier this year found that taxpayers had spent $5,081,680 over the past decade in incarceration expenses to repeatedly jail just 37 chronically homeless people.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Re: FL spends $31K per homeless. Housing would cost $10K

Post by PainRack »

A quick question. Is he state of Florida able to give them homes and a community? Because simply putting them in an apartment or McMansion isn't enough, job training and health care meets their needs but won't meet the homeless needs totally.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

PainRack wrote:A quick question. Is he state of Florida able to give them homes and a community? Because simply putting them in an apartment or McMansion isn't enough, job training and health care meets their needs but won't meet the homeless needs totally.
These read like people who cannot work for various reasons. I assume this includes shelter, food, and health care.
I have a job and spend much more (especially since I am often on the move) but probably could do groceries without much trouble for >$200 a month of >$2,400 a year
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

PainRack wrote:A quick question. Is he state of Florida able to give them homes and a community? Because simply putting them in an apartment or McMansion isn't enough, job training and health care meets their needs but won't meet the homeless needs totally.
Utah's doing a reasonable job of it, thanks to Huntsman Jr (governor from a bit back, resigned to serve as diplomat to China). If anyone would like, I could dig up an article about it.

Having a place to live with electricity and running water makes a huge difference in someone's health, and being given a basic apartment will fill that. Even if they never end up being financially independent they'll still see much better quality of life just by having a place to live.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

You beat me to it, Napoleon. Utah has done some good work with programs designed to get the long-term homeless into homes. whether or not they succeeded in counseling/rehab programs.
In 2005, Utah set out to do something very different than the typical strategy of getting the hard-core homeless off drugs and alcohol, and making them jump through enough bureaucratic hoops to obtain some state assistance and finally get what they need most: permanent housing.

Utah started a pilot program that took 17 people in Salt Lake City who had spent an average of 25 years on the street and put them in apartments. Caseworkers were assigned to help them become self-sufficient, but there were no strings attached – if they failed, the participants still had a place to live.

The “Housing First” program’s goal was to end chronic homelessness in Utah within 10 years. Through 2012, it had helped reduce the 2,000 people in that category when it began by 74 percent. Lloyd Pendleton, director of Utah’s Homeless Task Force, said the state is on track to meet its goal by 2015, and become the first state in the nation to do so.
It was cheaper than the alternative, too, like in Florida:
There’s no question that providing housing for the homeless is the right thing to do, for humanitarian reasons. But it also makes economic sense, so cities can spend less money and still help more people. In 2005, Utah did a study that found the average annual cost for emergency services and jail time for each chronically homeless person was $16,670. The cost to house them and provide case management services was only $11,000 per person.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

In the Florida study, what is costing thirty-one thousand dollars a year? Clearly part of it is costs associated with repeated arrests and prison time. Other emergency services (like hospitals having to treat them and not being able to bill them effectively?) are also referenced. Is there anything else that comes to mind?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Simon_Jester wrote:In the Florida study, what is costing thirty-one thousand dollars a year? Clearly part of it is costs associated with repeated arrests and prison time. Other emergency services (like hospitals having to treat them and not being able to bill them effectively?) are also referenced. Is there anything else that comes to mind?
Temporary accommodation, probably; when there's a massive waiting list for what little public housing is available then social services often has to put people up in cheap hotels and guesthouses.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Zaune wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:In the Florida study, what is costing thirty-one thousand dollars a year? Clearly part of it is costs associated with repeated arrests and prison time. Other emergency services (like hospitals having to treat them and not being able to bill them effectively?) are also referenced. Is there anything else that comes to mind?
Temporary accommodation, probably; when there's a massive waiting list for what little public housing is available then social services often has to put people up in cheap hotels and guesthouses.
I bet you could cut down on police presence by giving the homeless permanent housing. If they had a means of getting housing, you could wind up closing down the vast majority of shelters in the state too. Maybe leave a few open for temporary cases.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Theft.

See, one of the things people tend to forget is that people living on the sidewalk are often robbed, or otherwise are permanently separated from their possessions. It's a hell of a lot easier to stay healthy if you have a place to stash a toothbrush, bar of soap, and other various hygiene products without fear of them being lost or stolen. This leads to improved health and less emergency medical care.

Consider, for example, a homeless diabetic. Just how easily do you think they'd be able to hang onto their medication, insulin, and syringes? And what do you think the health consequences of not having access to those would be? A lot cheaper all around if they have at least the chance of managing their disease, don't you think?

We used to have institutions like boarding houses and SRO's (single residency occupancy hotels - basically, a room for rent. If you watch the first Blues Brothers movie Jake and Elwood spend some time in one). They weren't great, and yeah, you had drunks and recently released felons and the like in them. During urban renewal from about 1960-1985 they were eliminated in the name of improving the neighborhood. Problem is, the people who used to live in those places didn't simply disappear, they became the homeless.

We also have a bunch of people that in an earlier era would have been incarcerated long-term in mental hospitals. Those were also abolished, but then the crazies had no where to go after the rooming-houses and SRO's were torn down. More homeless.

There are some people so dysfunctional for whatever reason they will never be able to claw their way up out of the hole. Providing a safe, secure shelter for them to sleep in and store a few possessions will go a long way towards filling their basic needs.

I'll also add that having access to bathing facilities will also make these people smell and look better - there's a reason why Chicago's homeless smell better in the summer and early fall, it's because they can take a bath in the lake.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

I'd certainly be in favour of this approach, if there aren't any problems. I hope there aren't many of the assholes who will trash the place because they're not paying for it, because I would love to see these sorts of post-scarcity utopia ideas succeed.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Of course some of these people are going to trash the place. Some of them are going to kill themselves, either accidentally or deliberately. There will be broken windows, clogged plumbing, and the occasional fire. Not ALL such residents will engage in such mayhem but these folks are not as functional as the average. That's how they wound up where they are.

It comes back to we can't fix everything and sometimes all we can do is mitigate the damage.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice