West Virginia's Contaminated Water

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

West Virginia's Contaminated Water

Post by LadyTevar »

WVGazette wrote:State of Emergency in WV: WATER CONTAMINATED

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- Residents in eight counties and part of a ninth were told Thursday evening not to drink, cook with or wash with water supplied by West Virginia American Water after a leak earlier in the day at a chemical facility along the Elk River.

Any water supplied by West Virginia American Water in Kanawha, Putnam, Boone, Jackson and Lincoln counties was to be used only for flushing toilets and putting out fires, officials said just before 6 p.m. A couple hours later, Roane, Clay and Logan counties were added to the warning. The Culloden area of Cabell County was also affected. Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin declared a state of emergency in all of those counties.

Customers of several public service districts, including Lincoln, Queen Shoals, Reamer, Culloden and Hurricane, were also told not to use their water.

The ban could affect more than 100,000 West Virginia American Water customers, including restaurants, businesses and hospitals. Residents swarmed grocery stores, convenience stores and anywhere else with bottled water Thursday evening, and shelves were quickly depleted.

Hours after water company officials said their treatment facility -- which is near the leak site on the Elk River -- could handle the leak from Freedom Industries on Barlow Drive, Tomblin said: "Nobody really knows how dangerous it could be. However, it is in the system.

"It's just so important, according to the health department, as well as West Virginia American: Please don't drink, don't wash with, don't do anything with the water," the governor said Thursday night at the state Capitol.

Water was being transported into the affected counties, and emergency officials said they planned to set up distribution centers.

Col. Mike Cadle at the state Air National Guard's 130th Airlift Wing said 51 tractor-trailers loaded with water were headed to West Virginia from a Federal Emergency Management Agency facility in Maryland.

A C-130 cargo aircraft took off from Yeager Airport at 7:05 p.m. for Martinsburg to pick up the water. Cadle said that if the trucks arrived too late to fly the water in Thursday, the trucks would continue driving through the night and arrive at the 130th on Friday morning for distribution.

It was not clear Thursday night what time distribution centers would be set up today, but Lt. Col. Todd Harrell of the state National Guard said a center would be set up at the Charleston Civic Center to serve customers from Kanawha and Jackson counties. Another center would be set up at the Putnam County Courthouse in Winfield, he said.

Distribution centers would also be set up at the 911 center in Lincoln County, Queen Shoals in Clay County and the Sharples Volunteer Fire Department in Logan County, Harrell said.

Distribution points for Boone, Roane and Cabell counties were yet to be determined late Thursday.

A few places with water had already said they would let people fill up containers today, including Bartlett-Chapman Funeral Home in St. Albans, Chapman Funeral Home in Hurricane and the West Hamlin Volunteer Fire Department.

Schools had been ordered closed today in Kanawha, Putnam, Boone, Jackson, Clay and Lincoln counties as of 10 p.m. Thursday.

Tomblin said he expected the state of emergency to still be in effect this morning. He said it would stay until the state Department of Health and Human Resources, the Department of Environmental Protection and the water company say the water is safe.

He called the chemical -- 4-methylcyclohexane methanol, according to a DEP spokesman -- a "sudsing agent" and said, "It could take some time, they can't tell us how long it will take, to get the system flushed clean because some of these pipes go out as far as 60 miles."
The chemical is used in the processing of coal.

Places that don't use water from West Virginia American Water are not affected. That includes the cities of Spencer and St. Albans, where Mayor Dick Calloway, whose city gets its water directly from the Coal River, said his town's residents would not fall under the "do not use" order.

Kanawha Sheriff Johnny Rutherford said the county's 911 center got about a dozen calls about citizens getting into scuffles over water at stores. County officials urged residents not to rush out to try to buy water, and police were asked to step up patrols around convenience stores.

Philip Toliver of Charleston came to the Rite-Aid on Charleston's East End because the one on Bridge Road had already sold out of bottled water, he said. He bought six cases.

" 'I think I need to get some water,'" Toliver said upon learning of the chemical leak. He said if the state of emergency stretched on for more than a few days, he would consider leaving town for a while.

West Virginia American Water President Jeff McIntyre said at a news conference that the company was "fairly confident" earlier in the day that its plant could handle the treatment of the chemical.

"It's clear the chemical has infiltrated the water," McIntyre said. "In an abundance of caution, we are taking these steps today."

When asked what might happen if a person consumed the chemical, McIntyre didn't get specific, only saying "it's not particularly lethal in its usage form" and the effects of the chemical would depend on its concentration.

Dr. Rahul Gupta, chief health officer for the Kanawha-Charleston Health Department, said restaurants, bars, day-care centers and other businesses with a health permit in Kanawha and Putnam counties would be sent a message to "cease operations immediately."

Gupta said there are about 1,200 health department permits issued in Kanawha County and about 300 in Putnam County, where the Kanawha department has temporarily taken over health enforcement duties.

Kanawha County Commission President Kent Carper said the county emergency operations center was open and emergency crews were assessing their response.

"Earlier [Thursday], we were assured there was no harm to the public," Carper said. "We'll do blame-assignment later. Now we have to deal with it."

Carper said the do-not-use order would effectively shut down restaurants, nursing homes and any other establishment that relies on water.

"I have been promised by the governor himself that we'll have any resources we need," he said. "I predict it's going to be a long night."

Mike Dorsey, director of emergency response and homeland security for the state Department of Environmental Protection, said his division learned of the incident around noon from Department of Environmental Protection air-quality officials -- who had received odor complaints about the facility as early as 7:30 a.m.

The DEP's air-quality officials discovered the spill -- which the company had not self-reported to regulatory agencies -- and called Dorsey's unit, which handles such matters for the DEP.

State investigators discovered the material was leaking from the bottom of a storage tank, and had overwhelmed a concrete dike meant to serve as "secondary containment" around the tank, Dorsey said.

"That was going over the hill into the river," Dorsey said. "Apparently, it had been leaking for some time. We just don't know how long."

The state Department of Homeland Security has contacted the Federal Emergency Management Agency to try to have more bottled water brought into the area, Tomblin said. Later Thursday, the governor said he'd spoken with FEMA's director, Craig Fugate.

Freedom Industries produces "freeze conditioning agents, dust control palliatives, flotation reagents [and] water treatment polymers," among other chemicals, according to its website.

Freedom Industries officials, including the company's president, Dennis Farrell, did not return repeated phone calls Thursday.

Earlier in the day, some emergency officials were saying they had found little information about potential toxic effects of the substance.

One material-safety data sheet, or MSDS, said, "no specific information is available ... regarding the toxic effects of this material for humans.

"However, exposure to any chemical should be kept to a minimum," the MSDS said. "Skin and eye contact may result in irritation. May be harmful if inhaled or ingested."

Less than three hours before the state of emergency was declared, an official statement from West Virginia American Water was issued assuring the public and news media that the spill "does not present a health risk to customers."

The water company announced an emergency news conference regarding the spill at 5:09 p.m. and Tomblin officially announced the state of emergency around 6 p.m.

"This is not a chemical that we deal with every day. It's not the type of thing we would see in dealing with a water treatment plant," McIntyre said. "We took some time to understand even what we were dealing with at the time."

McIntyre said the company will have to do "extensive flushing" to make sure the contaminant is out of its system. He couldn't say how long the process will take.

State Homeland Security Director Jimmy Gianato advised those customers with concerns of exposure or consumption of the chemical can call the Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222. If someone is obviously sick, they should go to the hospital or call 911, Gianato said.

House of Delegates spokeswoman Stacey Ruckle said the House wouldn't conduct any business today, and would reconvene at 1 p.m. Monday.

Staff members at Thomas Memorial and Saint Francis hospitals were told not to use water except for flushing the toilets, spokeswoman Paige Johnson said Thursday.

The hospitals have some bottled water on hand and they're getting more, Johnson said.

She didn't know of any patients coming to the hospital complaining of problems associated with drinking the contaminated water.

CAMC has canceled all procedures for today, officials said.

Meadowbrook Acres Nursing Center, a 60-bed nursing home in Charleston, was prepared, said administrator Kim Toney.

"We keep a three-day emergency supply, so we should be fine," Toney said. "We're planning for more but we've got enough to last until we can get more water in here."

At the Charleston Town Center Mall, marketing director Lisa McCracken said Thursday evening, "We've closed our restaurants and we closed our treateries. We've turned off all the public restroom faucets, and we have issued an advisory mall-wide to the tenants, telling them not to use the faucets in their establishments."

Crystal Del Giudice, a supervisor at the Starbucks coffee shop in the mall, said employees ran out to buy hand sanitizer so they could clean themselves up after they closed the store.

"It's like the apocalypse," she said, half-jokingly.

Several mall restaurants had signs posted, informing customers that they were closed because of the water emergency.

At the Kroger in Kanawha City, shelves in the bottled-water aisle were nearly bare. A Charleston police officer kept an eye on the crowd.

Kerstin Halstead of Campbells Creek was doing her regular shopping when her husband called and told her to buy water.

"People have been grabbing it like crazy," she said as she loaded two cases of bottled water into her SUV, "and some people were getting -- well, they could have shared more."

The East End Rite-Aid ran out of water just after 6:30 p.m., according to a store employee. Customers were buying ice instead.

Ruby Piscopo, 28, of Charleston, and Christi Pritt, 29, of Belle, were having an after-work drink when they heard about the chemical leak. "We started getting texts and changed the TV to the news," Piscopo said. "I wasn't concerned until someone said it could go on for days."

The two bought $30 worth of water between them. They had other friends buying water throughout the city, with the intention of splitting it up later.
Last edited by LadyTevar on 2014-01-22 06:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Editted title to reflect ongoing commentary
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: STATE OF EMERGENCY: Contaminated Water

Post by LadyTevar »

So the water company can flush the system if they want, but the 4-methylcyclohexane methanol is still slowly leaching into the river. The coal processing company put down oil booms to stop it, claiming the methanol floats, but we've seen how well those 'absorbant booms' work for oil. Why would they work better now?

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Can I get a link to this article, so I can use it to bludgeon some sense into the anti-nuclear contingent of my Occupy buddies?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

I had heard of this, along with runs on bottled water.

I just hope everyone is okay.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

So the Coal company didn't report it themselves, they don't know exactly how harmful it is to people, and it's still leaking.

Fuck...when this is all said and done they better have deep pockets...
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Lolpah
Youngling

Post by Lolpah »

Remindes me of a similar thing we had in Finland where some idiots opened a valve between the sewage water and the drinking water (no idea why those two were connected in the first place), causing parts of the town of Nokia (the company is named after the place) to be without piped water for 3 months.

At least in this case the cause of contamination is only one chemical, so it might be cleaned up faster than the sewage which constituted of many chemically different substances.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Borgholio wrote:So the Coal company didn't report it themselves, they don't know exactly how harmful it is to people, and it's still leaking.

Fuck...when this is all said and done they better have deep pockets...
I'm p. sure the coal companies basically own West Virginia.

In fact this isn't the first time I've heard stories about coal mining contamination causing the water there to be unsafe for use. I remember seeing something where people basically couldn't take showers because the water would burn their skin.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Wonder if declaring a state of emergency (state) would be appropriate?
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

It shit like this that's gets me so pissed off when I hear libertarians talk about how "wonderful" the world would be if we got rid of all government regulations...

Of course a true libertarian would respond by saying that such behavior would be "punished" by the almighty free market because people would stop supporting such an evil company. Because THAT happens all the time right?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

On the other hand, in their perfect Libertopia the owners of the company would be facing good old-fashioned mob justice instead of anything they could wriggle out of with the help of expensive lawyers, so there's that.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Zaune wrote:On the other hand, in their perfect Libertopia the owners of the company would be facing good old-fashioned mob justice instead of anything they could wriggle out of with the help of expensive lawyers, so there's that.
In a perfect Libertopia world the owners of the company would have their own private security force to prevent anything from leaking out and the fact half the regions workers got sick and died mysteriously just means time to import more from someplace even worse off.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Well, yes. But do the libertarians know that?

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/09/us/west-v ... ted-water/
(CNN) -- [Breaking news update at 12:30 p.m. Friday]

U.S. Attorney Booth Goodwin "opened an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the release" of a potentially dangerous chemical into parts of West Virginia's water supply.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Mr Bean wrote:
Zaune wrote:On the other hand, in their perfect Libertopia the owners of the company would be facing good old-fashioned mob justice instead of anything they could wriggle out of with the help of expensive lawyers, so there's that.
In a perfect Libertopia world the owners of the company would have their own private security force to prevent anything from leaking out and the fact half the regions workers got sick and died mysteriously just means time to import more from someplace even worse off.
As yes... go google "Hawk's Nest Tunnel Disaster" for that one. They still haven't found where all the bodies are buried.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

(CNN) -- [Breaking news update at 12:30 p.m. Friday]

U.S. Attorney Booth Goodwin "opened an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the release" of a potentially dangerous chemical into parts of West Virginia's water supply.
This is good to know. But let's look at some of the things in this article.

1. Freedom Industries was keeping the 4-meta-whatsis inside *metal* tanks built in the 1930-40s. WWII technology. I am less surprised at the leakage now. Old age alone would have compromised those tanks.

2. The chemical is used to wash coal before it's markets, transported, and burnt. No clue why, but it's used at full strength to 'clean coal'. Makes you wonder how much of it sticks to the coal and gets into the atmosphere.

3. "Less than 35000 gallons leaked" That's 132 cubic meters inside the tank, and they say it wasn't completely empty when they started pumping the chemical to another tank. My question? How much actually leaked.

4. Freedome Industries says "oh, it's not toxic, it's FINE!" Water Company says "Uh, no, it's not supposed to be in the river or our system, there's no way to get it OUT." At least the DEP finally stepped up and said "nope, you're shut down."

BTW: Nitram is in the hospital due to the situation. When you are taking pills to rid yourself of excess water, you need to watch for dehydration. By the time I had to go home this morning, he'd already been given 4liters of saline. They're keeping him overnight.

Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

LadyTevar wrote:2. The chemical is used to wash coal before it's markets, transported, and burnt. No clue why, but it's used at full strength to 'clean coal'. Makes you wonder how much of it sticks to the coal and gets into the atmosphere.
The answer is almost certainly "none". The stuff is flammable - the only thing you're going to be releasing into the atmosphere is a bit of extra CO2 and H2O.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

The answer is almost certainly "none". The stuff is flammable - the only thing you're going to be releasing into the atmosphere is a bit of extra CO2 and H2O.
Are you certain? Just because it burns doesn't mean the end products are clean. Look at coal itself...the end products include mercury, sulphur dioxide, and fucking radioactive particles...
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Borgholio wrote:
Are you certain? Just because it burns doesn't mean the end products are clean. Look at coal itself...the end products include mercury, sulphur dioxide, and fucking radioactive particles...
I am certain. The chemical consists solely of hydrogen, carbon and oxygen. If there is any mercury, sulphur or radioactive particles in it, it's because it has been contaminated by the coal, not the other way around.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

If what leaked was post-use then yes, it probably is contaminated... but it seems right now the main concern is the chemical itself.

I also think current reported estimates that this will be cleaned up in "days" is overly optimistic.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Welf
Padawan Learner

Post by Welf »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:It shit like this that's gets me so pissed off when I hear libertarians talk about how "wonderful" the world would be if we got rid of all government regulations...

Of course a true libertarian would respond by saying that such behavior would be "punished" by the almighty free market because people would stop supporting such an evil company. Because THAT happens all the time right?
A true libertarian would argue that the market would just find the best equilibrium. The consumers will accept the appropriate amount of toxic in the water. They always have the option of moving away or drinking bottled water. And since this is what the people freely decide on you are not allowed to force them to do something else.
Zaune wrote:Well, yes. But do the libertarians know that?
I'm think they know that. They probably assume they'll be the factory owner, not the worker.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Welf wrote:A true libertarian would argue that the market would just find the best equilibrium. The consumers will accept the appropriate amount of toxic in the water. They always have the option of moving away or drinking bottled water. And since this is what the people freely decide on you are not allowed to force them to do something else.
No I wouldn't. So please, go to hell.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Grumman wrote:No I wouldn't. So please, go to hell.
Yeah, all these voices arguing EPA is pure communism murdering MURICAN JOBS are, I guess, uh... Martians? I honestly got nothing, anyone?

Funny how every single libertarian acts with silence or aggression once even tame, regulations-contaminated results of their dreams rear their ugly head.

And on a serious note, what you'd say, then? Argue that our bodies are carbon/oxygen/hydrogen anyway and a bit more of extra CO2 and H2O won't hurt? :roll:
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Broomstick wrote:If what leaked was post-use then yes, it probably is contaminated... but it seems right now the main concern is the chemical itself.
The facility that had the leak manufactures the stuff, it does not use it. So no, it is not probably contaminated.
Irbis wrote:
Grumman wrote:No I wouldn't. So please, go to hell.
Yeah, all these voices arguing EPA is pure communism murdering MURICAN JOBS are, I guess, uh... Martians? I honestly got nothing, anyone?
Not all Republicans are libertarians, you twit.
Funny how every single libertarian acts with silence or aggression once even tame, regulations-contaminated results of their dreams rear their ugly head.
I get annoyed when idiots use "libertarian" to describe everything they dislike. According to libertarian thought, the purpose of government is to prevent people inflicting unwanted externalities on others without their consent. Since it is fairly obvious that Freedom Industries did not obtain permission from the towns in the area to add the chemical to their drinking water, the libertarian response is that they are in the wrong.
And on a serious note, what you'd say, then? Argue that our bodies are carbon/oxygen/hydrogen anyway and a bit more of extra CO2 and H2O won't hurt? :roll:
I said that if you burn it, it would break down into something that is not 4-methylcyclohexane methanol. That is how combustion works. It will not spontaneously transmute into sulphur, mercury or other elements that were not part of the original molecule.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Grumman wrote:I said that if you burn it, it would break down into something that is not 4-methylcyclohexane methanol. That is how combustion works. It will not spontaneously transmute into sulphur, mercury or other elements that were not part of the original molecule.
Grumman wrote:
Borgholio wrote:
I am certain. The chemical consists solely of hydrogen, carbon and oxygen...
Just like polystyrene! And styrofoam smoke isn't deadly at all!

Oh, wait... :roll:

So basically, you just failed chemistry, arguing that an organic compound will necessarily burn clean just because it doesn't contain any chemical elements that are a priori poisonous like mercury.

Which is exactly the sort of thing I'd expect from, say, the hired shills who will go to work for a coal company trying to lull local populations into thinking the byproducts of coal mining are nontoxic. Tevar could tell you stories about benzene, no doubt.

And that's the fundamental problem with not having regulation here- the companies involved stand to save millions by handling their chemicals irresponsibly. So they're willing to spend large sums of money to convince the public there isn't a problem. And in the absence of a tax-funded, organized group of professionals responsible for regulating the industry, who can afford to hire actual chemists and doctors and other scientists to do real studies... yeah, those PR men tend to dominate the field.

Which results in people getting poisoned and them not even knowing it, or having any way of avoiding it when it happens. Reminds me of the Bhopal incident.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Grumman wrote:
LadyTevar wrote:2. The chemical is used to wash coal before it's markets, transported, and burnt. No clue why, but it's used at full strength to 'clean coal'. Makes you wonder how much of it sticks to the coal and gets into the atmosphere.
It might also be absorbed by the coal and then released back into the atmosphere while it is stored/transported before it is burned.

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer