Six tons of illegal ivory to be crushed

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Six tons of illegal ivory to be crushed

Post by Kitsune »

Almost sad that many are works of art but as well can understand the reasoning

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/tons ... r-20883086
6 Tons of Seized Ivory Being Crushed in Denver
COMMERCE CITY, Colo. November 14, 2013 (AP)
By STEVEN K. PAULSON Associated Press
Associated Press

U.S. officials are destroying more than 6 tons of confiscated ivory tusks, carvings and jewelry — the bulk of the U.S. "blood ivory" stockpile — to support the fight against a $10 billion global trade that slaughters tens of thousands of elephants each year.

Officials on Thursday will use rock crushers to pulverize the stockpile, accumulated over the past 25 years, at the National Wildlife Property Repository just north of Denver. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service will donate the crushed ivory particles to a museum to be determined for future display.

Service officials showed off thousands of ivory tusks, statues, ceremonial bowls, masks and ornaments to be destroyed — a collection they said represented the killing of more than 2,000 adult elephants.

The items were seized from smugglers, traders and tourists at U.S. ports of entry after a global ban on the ivory trade went into effect in 1989.

"What is striking to me is the lengths that some commercial importers and smugglers will go to conceal their ivory — everything from staining it with colors to covering it with leather," said Fish and Wildlife Special Agent Steve Oberholtzer. "The stakes are high in the ivory trade."

The message from Thursday's crush likely will reach consumers more than the faraway poachers and smugglers targeted by governments across the globe. Elephant poaching is at an all-time high, thanks in large part to U.S. demand and growing demand in Asia.

The British-based Born Free Foundation estimates that poachers killed 32,000 elephants last year. It says that black-market ivory sells for around $1,300 per pound.

Most elephants are killed in Africa, where there are about 300,000 African elephants left. There are an estimated 50,000 Asian elephants found from India to Vietnam.

Not everyone supported the ivory crush. Bob Weisblut, a co-founder of the Florida-based International Ivory Society, said he thought the carvings and tusks should be sold to raise money for anti-poaching efforts.

"A lot of this is beautiful art," Weisblut said. "And it's a shame to destroy it."

The ivory being destroyed didn't include items legally imported or acquired before the 1989 global ban.

"This is a way to say to people we are not putting a value on ivory. We're putting a value on the lives of the elephants," said Azzedine Downes, president of the International Fund for Animal Welfare, which works with U.S. agents to enforce animal protection laws.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Re: Six tons of illegal ivory to be crushed

Post by Ralin »

Really sad. Here's hoping the ban on ivory is rescinded someday so travesties like this can stop happening.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Ralin wrote:Really sad. Here's hoping the ban on ivory is rescinded someday so travesties like this can stop happening.
You do know that lifting that ban is basically the same thing as telling poachers to go ahead and kill all the elephants they want, right?

Good on the Government. Be nicer if they'd get a little more proactive in stopping the oxygen-thieving bastard poachers, but I suppose you have to take what you can get.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Ralin wrote:Really sad. Here's hoping the ban on ivory is rescinded someday so travesties like this can stop happening.
Maybe the artists shouldn't be using illegally-sourced ivory from poached elephants and we won't destroy their artwork. There are legal ivory sources around (mammoth ivory, primarily, and pre-ban raw ivory, rare as that is) to do such artwork.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Would Ralin be saying the same thing about artwork made from human bones that are harvested from mass-murdered humans?
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Mr. Coffee wrote:You do know that lifting that ban is basically the same thing as telling poachers to go ahead and kill all the elephants they want, right?
Yeah, I'm against most conservationist efforts. There are too many big, stupid mammals in the world. Anything that gets rid of a few is a good thing in my book.
Pezook wrote:Would Ralin be saying the same thing about artwork made from human bones that are harvested from mass-murdered humans?
I dunno. I'd have to think about that one.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

I would refer this be made into some gruesome graveyard exhibit to shock the public, perhaps after walking through a live elephant experiance to prep the ground.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Akhlut wrote:
Maybe the artists shouldn't be using illegally-sourced ivory from poached elephants and we won't destroy their artwork. There are legal ivory sources around (mammoth ivory, primarily, and pre-ban raw ivory, rare as that is) to do such artwork.
Does the law distinguish between ivory harvested before and after the ban?
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Ralin wrote:
Mr. Coffee wrote:You do know that lifting that ban is basically the same thing as telling poachers to go ahead and kill all the elephants they want, right?
Yeah, I'm against most conservationist efforts. There are too many big, stupid mammals in the world
I know. I'm talking one right now, as a matter of fact.

Anything that gets rid of a few is a good thing in my book.
Glad we agree. Now be a good little oxygen thief and chug some drain cleaner.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_cognition

If you can read that and still be okay with killing elephants, you are a sociopath. It's no different than killing children.
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Grumman wrote:
Akhlut wrote:
Does the law distinguish between ivory harvested before and after the ban?
Pre-Ban ivory would have a paper trail
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

Ralin wrote:
Yeah, I'm against most conservationist efforts. There are too many big, stupid mammals in the world. Anything that gets rid of a few is a good thing in my book.
I hate to rain on your parade, but 'too many big, stupid mammals' is not in any way descriptive of elephants-they are rare and getting rarer, they are amazingly intelligent, and their social lives mirror ours in many ways-they too act in grief and play and they even masturbate, and act out in juvenile pique if there are no adult male figures in their lives. Poaching has reduced the population of elephants in most countries in Africa and Asia to small, genetically isolated enclaves. But if you don't care about big intelligent mammals, then you probably don't care about plants or fish or any other organism in the biosphere, and you probably think we should just spread out the Burns Omni-Net and sweep the seas clean in an orgy of capitalism.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

PeZook wrote:Would Ralin be saying the same thing about artwork made from human bones that are harvested from mass-murdered humans?
Don't ask the question unless you're absolutely certain you want to know the answer, especially since at time of writing, his post-count is exactly 666.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Ralin wrote:
Wow, you don't understand sociology or biology! Turns out that elephants are important in maintaining the complex interplay between savannahs and scrub-forests in sub-Saharan Africa, while doing thousands of other things that help out pretty much everything around them, from fertilizing the land (elephants produce hundreds of pounds of manure a day) to providing easily obtained calcium to everything in the food web, via rodents chewing on their bones and being eaten, in turn, by larger predators.

But, hey, as your next statement shows, you're probably a complete monster anyway.
Pezook wrote:Would Ralin be saying the same thing about artwork made from human bones that are harvested from mass-murdered humans?
Wow. You have to think about whether or not you'd be saddened by the destruction of artwork made from genocide victims?

You're a real fucking class act.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Ralin wrote:
You're a libertarian, aren't you? Pretty extreme one at that.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Really sad, though I can't stop thinking maybe they should donate best pieces to public museums before crushing.

Sigh :cry:
Ralin wrote:Yeah, I'm against most conservationist efforts. There are too many big, stupid mammals in the world.
Go fuck yourself. With a porcupine :finger:
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

Irbis wrote:Go fuck yourself. With a porcupine :finger:

Hey, that was uncalled for. What did porcupines ever do to you?
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

[quote="Irbis"]Really sad, though I can't stop thinking maybe they should donate best pieces to public museums before crushing.

Sigh :cry:

Refer to the last paragraph of the article.

Plus, it's not like these are historically significant pieces. They are all under thirty years old.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Think Holocaust Museum sort of display.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Napoleon the Clown wrote: You're a libertarian, aren't you? Pretty extreme one at that.
Heaven forbid.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

See, you're the kind of libertarian that gives them a bad name. You don't think "Oh, people will make the best choices if you let them!" You just blatantly have no regard for life or the well-being of living creatures. All you care about is yourself.

But hey, feel free to give your cause a bad name. I'm sure "fuck you, got mine" is gonna sway people.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Napoleon the Clown wrote:See, you're the kind of libertarian that gives them a bad name. You don't think "Oh, people will make the best choices if you let them!" You just blatantly have no regard for life or the well-being of living creatures. All you care about is yourself.

But hey, feel free to give your cause a bad name. I'm sure "fuck you, got mine" is gonna sway people.
Hey man, hey. I ain't no goddamn libertarian. I just don't like wild animals or nature.
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

And I don't like people who are utter fuckheads, doesn't mean I wish death on them. Don't like nature and wild animals? Don't interact with them. Elephants don't hurt you.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

I will offer the following advice: don't feed the trolls. Mock them mercilessly if you like, but the comparison with pigs and mud wrestling comes to mind.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

The Vortex Empire wrote:http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_cognition

If you can read that and still be okay with killing elephants, you are a sociopath. It's no different than killing children.
How about cutting off a child's FACE while it is still alive in order to get at the teeth, then leaving it to die?
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.