Australia shuts the door on refugees

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Australia shuts the door on refugees

Post by fgalkin »

Linky
Asylum seekers arriving in Australia by boat to be resettled in Papua New Guinea

Updated 2 hours 56 minutes ago
Video: Asylum seekers arriving by boat to be resettled in PNG (ABC News)
Map: Papua New Guinea

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd says asylum seekers who arrive by boat will have no chance of being settled in Australia as refugees.

Mr Rudd has confirmed a deal that will see asylum seekers sent to Papua New Guinea for assessment, and if they are found to be refugees, they will be resettled there.

PNG's prime minister Peter O'Neill joined Mr Rudd in formally unveiling the plan in Brisbane this afternoon.

Mr Rudd says those found not to be refugees will be sent back to their own nations or a third country.
Audio: Rudd to send all boat arrivals to PNG (PM)

He says the deal with PNG is aimed at stopping "the scourge of people smuggling".

"I understand this is a very hard-line decision. I understand the different groups in Australia and around the world will see this decision in different ways," he said.

"But our responsibility as a government is to ensure we have a robust system of border security and orderly migration on the one hand, as well as fulfilling our legal and compassionate obligations under the Refugees' Convention on the other."

In addition to his announcement today, Mr Rudd posted an address to the nation on his YouTube channel explaining the new policy.
Key points:

Asylum seekers who arrive by boat will never be settled in Australia
They will be sent to Manus Island or elsewhere in PNG for assessment
Genuine refugees will be resettled in PNG
The agreement will be in place for at least the next 12 months
There will be no cap on the number of refugees to be settled in PNG

The regional settlement arrangement will be effective for 12 months and there will be no cap on the number of people who can be transferred there.

Mr O'Neill says he strongly believes genuine refugees can be resettled in his nation.

"Specific communities like Papua New Guinea and the other island states continue to have challenges of maintaining their borders, and as a result of that we continue to have illegal immigrants into those countries," he said.

"Today's regional resettlement program is one that we believe that it's going to resolve many of those issues that we have brought forward to the Australian Government.

"I believe that the processing centre and the resettlement arrangements that we are forging will enable us to have an orderly processing of citizens, of people who are seeking genuine citizenship of other countries in the region.

"That is why we agreed to a resettlement program where we believe strongly that genuine refugees can be... resettled in our country and within the region in the years to come."

Mr Rudd says the new arrangement delivers a message loud and clear to people smugglers that "their business model is now basically undermined".
Country profile: Papua New Guinea
Population: 7.1 million
Area: 462,840 square kilometres
GDP: US$15.6 billion
Life expectancy: 63
Religions: Protestant (69.4 per cent), Catholic (27 per cent)
Access to primary school education: 60 per cent
Literacy: 57.3 per cent
Agricultural exports: coffee, cocoa, copra, palm kernels, tea
Commodity exports: oil, gold, copper ore, logs, palm oil
Source: The World Bank, United Nations, CIA

The package includes a significant expansion of the Manus Island detention centre to house 3,000 people up from the original capacity of 600.

Currently, about 145 people are housed on the island.

A recent United Nations report was highly critical of conditions for asylum seekers on Manus Island, but the PNG government says construction will start on a new permanent centre shortly and it will be an improvement.

Mr Rudd says the implementation of the plan "will not be inexpensive and that acting on such a sustained challenge to border security does cost".

He says at present, because asylum seeker numbers are going up, it is a "huge burden to budget" but the new regional arrangement has "the objective of reducing the numbers overtime and therefore with less call on the budget".

Mr Rudd has been under growing pressure to deal with the dramatic increase in asylum seekers attempting to enter Australia by boat.

He says the new regional settlement agreement with Papua New Guinea is "part of a multi-layered approach to dealing with the scourge of people smuggling".

"Australia will continue its cooperative arrangements with the republic of Nauru and looks forward to furthering those arrangements," he said

Mr Rudd says he has spoken with the UN Secretary-General about Australia convening an international conference of relevant transit countries and destination countries.

He says the conference will look at the adequacy of processing systems and arrangements to deal with the burden of resettling refugees.

There is the possibility of a legal challenge to the agreement, as we have seen before with challenges to the Supreme Court on the existing activity on Manus Island and the memorandum of understanding between PNG and Australia. The most recent iteration was thrown out on a procedural matter but the main lawyer involved has vowed to resubmit the challenge.

There is also an interesting question in how those resettled refugees will be able to blend in. Papua New Guinea is Christian – in some parts a deeply Christian - country. There is a small population of Muslims, but as many thousands more come in, that reaction is something we will have to wait and see.
ABC correspondent Liam Cochrane in Port Moresby

'This is a day of shame,' says Milne

Greens leader Christine Milne says Mr Rudd has "leapfrogged Tony Abbott on cruelty".

"Our obligations are to take seriously people's application for asylum in our country," she said.

"This is really an appalling performance from our for the nation and it really does say to the rest of the world that Australia is a very rich country which is prepared to pass the buck to a very poor country because a Prime Minister doesn't have the courage or the moral authority to do the right thing by refugees.
Manus Island immigration detention centre Photo: The deal includes a significant expansion of the Manus Island detention centre to house 3,000 people, up from the original capacity of 600. (Supplied: Immigration Department)

"This is a day of shame."

Opposition Leader Tony Abbott says the new policy will never work with Mr Rudd in charge.

"I welcome it, but it won't work under Mr Rudd. I do welcome the generous response of PNG to Australia's difficulties here," he said.

"Let's face it, this is Labor's fifth go at getting it right and while this certainly is a very promising development in offshore processing, it is about processing boat people, it's not about stopping the boats and that in the end is what we have to have.

"I think the question that the Australian people have to ask is, who do you trust on this subject? Who do you trust to stop the boats? Do you trust the political party which started them up again?

"Or you trust the party that is the original and the best when it comes to actually stopping the boats?"

Human rights advocate David Manne says he is surprised by Mr Rudd's hardline stance.

"I am surprised on a number of fronts, first and foremost because Australia, having signed up to the Refugees' Convention in 1954 committed to protecting people who come to its shores, not exposing them to further risks elsewhere," he said.
Video: PNG arrangement won't work under Rudd: Abbott (ABC News)

"I'm also particularly concerned because in the context of the global challenges, the fact remains that Australia hosts only 0.3 per cent of refugees worldwide and yet, what we see here is a policy designed not only to deter asylum seekers from coming and seeking refuge in Australia, but one that also proposes to shift our responsibilities on to others, to not shoulder the responsibility of protecting refugees but to shift it and to deflect it on to others.

"In this case, a country that is far less well equipped to respond and accommodate to the needs of refugees."

Former prime minister Malcolm Fraser has told the ABC the policy seeks to punish vulnerable asylum seekers.

"It is a policy clearly that penalises the most vulnerable of all the refugees because people don't really flee by boat from choice, they flee because of some terror in their country of origin," he said.

"To say that Australia will not assist such people under any circumstances is a very substantial statement - it's a change of Australia's values.

"And I believe an abdication of Australia's responsibilities and... an abdication of our basic humanity."

[It's] going back to the World War II syndrome that Papua New Guinea is the front line.

The incentives are some investment that will go into a remote province (Manus). It's a province without much in the way of economic opportunities. (This is) seen as providing opportunities in catering and security.

It's not a popular initiative. Much of PNG has other thoughts on its mind, much of the population is concerned with making an income and surviving, but (it's generally seen as) an Australian problem and why should Australia export its problems to PNG?
Paul Barker, PNG Institute of National Affairs

Indonesia to toughen laws on visas for Iranians

Figures from the Department of Immigration show 15,610 people on 220 boats have arrived in Australian waters so far this year.

Iranians make up a third of the total making the journey, many others are Afghan or Sri Lankan.

Indonesia has also agreed to a request from Mr Rudd to make it harder for people from Iran to enter the country in order to travel to Australia by boat.

Indonesian justice minister Amir Syamsuddin has signed a letter - in effect a ministerial decree - that will stop Iranians being able to obtain a visa on arrival when they fly to Indonesia.

The move could slow the flow of people on their way to seeking asylum in Australia.

ABC's AM program understands officials from the Department of Immigration have been in Tehran negotiating for the Government there to take back asylum seekers.

Currently Iran does not accept involuntary returns.

Mr Rudd raised concerns about the arrangement for visas on arrival in Indonesia during talks with president Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono.

The Government has said that many asylum seekers arriving in Australia from Iran are economic migrants, not genuine refugees.

It is not yet known when the restriction on Iranians will take effect.
Yeah, way to show them people smugglers, 'Straya.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: Australia shuts the door on refugees

Post by Gandalf »

Yet another source for national shame.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Well, Austrailia is one of the most densly populated islands in the world. I guess they're just full. /sarcasm.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

I could understand a country not taking in refugees if it were in dire economic straits, if there really wasn't enough money in the budget to settle them and set them up with proper homes and livelyhoods. Hell, if a country was in a bad enough condition, I could see shutting down regular immigration. I've seen some people make the argument that the U.S. should be doing that right now.

But aren't the aussies in the middle of an economic boom right now?
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Darksider wrote:I could understand a country not taking in refugees if it were in dire economic straits, if there really wasn't enough money in the budget to settle them and set them up with proper homes and livelyhoods. Hell, if a country was in a bad enough condition, I could see shutting down regular immigration. I've seen some people make the argument that the U.S. should be doing that right now.

It's racism, plain and fucking simple OK?
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Rudd is trying to go to the right of Abbott with an election coming up, won't work. Horrible policy. Idiot nation will lap it up though.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

Darksider wrote:I could understand a country not taking in refugees if it were in dire economic straits, if there really wasn't enough money in the budget to settle them and set them up with proper homes and livelyhoods. Hell, if a country was in a bad enough condition, I could see shutting down regular immigration. I've seen some people make the argument that the U.S. should be doing that right now.

Actually, we're in a little bit of financial bother right now, relatively speaking. It's the kind of financial bother you get into when you start getting all this overtime at work, so you go out and sign a lease on a big new house, buy a fancy new car on no-deposit easy-finance, sign a multi-year contract with some landscape gardeners to maintain your fancy new English Garden with pond and waterfall, and then have your Chinese boss come up to you and say "Well, actually, things aren't going quite as we thought they would, so were going to cut your overtime in half, OK?"
Why didn't anyone suspect something like this could happen, and warn us? Oh, hang on, they did. Economists over the country were giving warnings and advice, and even the politicians themselves were talking about the 'Need to use the boom for the future', but all we got were tax cuts and new special payments, because it's very hard in a democracy to be against tax cuts come election time.
Hasn't helped that our two Labor prime ministers have been dickless wonders, totally bottling it when it came to the risk of a fight against anyone cashed-up. That's given us a mining tax designed by miners, which, amazingly, has generated fuck-all income; and a carbon tax made of a balance of tax-and-reparation where the tax has been lowered again and again due to wails of DOOOOOOMMMMM!!!! from brown-coal power plants and the like, but the reparations have been left at full value because it's very hard in a democracy to take money away from voters.
Howard was a little prick, but at least he had one, willing to go to an election on a policy of a big new tax (the GST). Howard is also largely responsible for our current straits, as he brought in a lot of the tax cuts and special payments that Labor continued (what did he care? He was in at the start of the boom!).
It's racism, plain and fucking simple OK?
It's not racism, we've got to protect our borders! These people are invading in their untold thousands! All the refugees of the entire world are trying to break into Australia, drink our beer and steal our women! And there might be terrorists! Because we all know terrorists sneak into countries in leaky boats that may sink at any moment that are easily stopped by the navy where they get taken to a centre where their identity and motives are carefully checked.
I don't know, politically it's gone to the "Law and Order" stage, where anyone suggesting that maybe there's an over-reaction is politically murdered for being soft. In the population, racism is the only explanation that makes sense.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
Alkaloid
Jedi Master

Post by Alkaloid »

We'll you obviously don't live here Darksider. Working families are doing it tough. After all, everyone knows that working families can barely get by on $250, 000 shared income. And working families shouldn't have to raise their children next to black people.

[/sarcasm]
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Korto wrote:It's not racism, we've got to protect our borders! These people are invading in their untold thousands! All the refugees of the entire world are trying to break into Australia, drink our beer and steal our women! And there might be terrorists! Because we all know terrorists sneak into countries in leaky boats that may sink at any moment that are easily stopped by the navy where they get taken to a centre where their identity and motives are carefully checked.
I don't know, politically it's gone to the "Law and Order" stage, where anyone suggesting that maybe there's an over-reaction is politically murdered for being soft. In the population, racism is the only explanation that makes sense.
I always feel like turning round and asking that sort of person, "Who've you got in mind for doing the nigger work, then?" Because I'll lay any money you care to name that they'd practically disown their kids if they actually took one of the kind of job these immigrants are supposedly "stealing", or at least fail miserably at hiding their shame and embarrassment.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Korto
Jedi Master

Post by Korto »

Backpackers, of course.

Australia has a couple of big labour market differences with the US.
1) Since we don't share a big land border with an impoverished country, we don't have any major influx of illegal immigrants to support a big underground labour industry. They're just not there (which makes the whole "Illegal immigrants" thing even more ridiculous). If you want someone to clean your house or do your yard you have two main options, you can either pay someone to do it cash-in-hand as a supplement to their regular income, or you can get a business that specialises in it. Either option then runs you into difference (2)
2) We have a minimum wage more than double the US ($16.37 / h), and unemployment benefits that start at nearly as much as the US minimum wage ($497 / fortnight, or $6.21 / hr) plus up to $123 / fortnight rent assistance supplement (making it $7.75 / hr). If it's a proper company, you will be paying at least minimum wage (probably more). If it's cash-in-hand, you've got to pay them enough to make it worth their while else they'll just give you the finger, because even if they're on the dole, they aren't desperate.
Refugees being assessed aren't, I believe, allowed to work (and there aren't enough in the community to create any real black market). When they finally can work, they can also receive government assistance, so, again, they're not desperate.

One area with labour problems is harvesting (fruit picking, cotton chipping, etc). It's not because it's badly paid, if you're good at it you can make quite good money, but the harvest trail demands a nomadic lifestyle which Australians are no longer so interested in. That's where the backpackers come into it.
There have been occasions with island workers being flown in on work visas and paid atrociously. When this comes to light, the companies have been fined and forced to pay proper wages. There was one occasion a couple of years ago with four Filipino painters on an oil rig being paid $900 / month for 84 hour weeks, which came to light when some Australian workers on the rig asked them about their pay, and then contacted their union. It's not considered acceptable behaviour here.
“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”
Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Crown wrote:Rudd is trying to go to the right of Abbott with an election coming up, won't work. Horrible policy. Idiot nation will lap it up though.
That depends on what Rudd was hoping to achieve.

If he was hoping the asylum seekers would end up in PNG its debatable. There has been speculation people may challenge the decision of the PNG PM via their courts.

If he was hoping to get votes, he most probably succeeded. Not only are they processed off Australia shores (which made no difference under the old policy because like 90% were still judged to be genuine refugees), even if they are refugees they don't get to come into Australia (just appealing to racist bogan vote).
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

http://www.news.com.au/national-news/ru ... 6682491915
Rudd's decision will stop the boats, Afghan asylum seekers declare

KEVIN Rudd's Papua New Guinea solution has bit savagely in west Java, where Afghan asylum seekers have immediately begun telling people smugglers they are cancelling their planned boat trips to Christmas Island.
After the Prime Minister's announcement, it did not take long for the news to circulate in the mountain-top resort city of Cisarua, where an estimated 5000 asylum seekers were awaiting to make boat trips.
By Saturday morning, groups of Afghan men, who are highly visible on the streets, were saying they would never accept settlement in Papua New Guinea and began instructing intermediaries working for the smugglers that they would not be going.
Island of ash left in rioters' wake
The Afghans generally do not pay the smugglers in advance. Because the Afghan networks have become such an established business here since 1999, the smugglers trade on their good name and their guarantees to deliver people to Australia.
Afghans - who travel cheaper by boat than people of other nationalities, usually paying around $3000 - told News Corp Australia that they would now register with the UNHCR and wait for legal resettlement because the idea of PNG seemed too shocking to them.
One man, Noor Agha, 35, an ethnic Hazara, told how he had arrived on Ashmore Reef in 2001 and had been shipped on HMAS Tobruk to Nauru. He waited there a year and a half but finally accepted a voluntary repatriation to Afghanistan after his son was born in terrible conditions in the camp.

He said his return to Afghanistan had been disastrous, with his life in constant danger.
Noor arrived back in Indonesia last month, ready to try again - and hoping he could bring his family after him.
He was awaiting word of a time to be put on a boat when Mr Rudd's announcement changed his world.
"The decision of Kevin Rudd will stop the boats," said Noor, who with a group of friends, also recent arrivals, said they would no longer be going.
"I am hopeful after this decision, Kevin Rudd will take refugees (registered with) UNHCR much quicker."
Asylum seekers rely on smugglers of their own nationality. But Iranians, who have recently outstripped Afghans as the biggest group trying to get to Australia, do not have the same smuggler or information networks as the Afghans.
We spoke to a group of Iranians who had each paid $8000 to get to Australia. These men were hiding out in a villa awaiting passage, and in the company of lower-rung Iranian in the smuggler network who became irate that we were talking to his clients.
The men were confused about the news from Australia and asked us to explain what was going on.
Told of Mr Rudd's plan - that anyone arrive by boat after Friday would not have any chance of settling in Australia, but could go to PNG if they were found to be refugees - they said they would be going to Australia anyway.
"We can't get our money back," said one of the Iranians. "We go anyway. We paid the money."
The men, who had all arrived a month ago from Tehran, comforted themselves by saying that the Rudd plan was a political ruse.
Amid the disappointment, there is some hope for the people here who have registered with the UNHCR and are awaiting resettlement to a country, preferably Australia.
They are slowly coming to terms with the fact that the reason they have languished so long in this area without being resettled is because those who have gone ahead in the boats have taken their place in Australia's resettlement program.
But some have lost hope altogether and are stuck, not knowing what to do. One family, who identified as ethnic Tajic from Afghanistan, a group rarely seen in Indonesia, have lost all appeals to be recognised by the UNHCR as refugees.
b932b610-f122-11e2-ab1b-0babb8db40e5
Sanggita Bashardost, her mum Nabila Bashardost and father Abdul Bashardost at Cisarua. Picture: Ardiles Rante
Sanggita Bashardost, her mum Nabila Bashardost and father Abdul Bashardost at Cisarua. Picture: Ardiles Rante Source: Supplied
The father, Abdul Basir BaShardost, 47, paid money to the smugglers in 2011 to take his wife and five children to Australia but were ripped off.
Mr BaShardost worked for government intelligence in pre-Taliban times and says he is despised by both Taliban hardliners and the current regime. "We have no answers," he said.
Like all families, they are unable to send their children to local schools.
For many who have registered with the UNHCR, the boats were always a last resort - but it was at least an option. Now that has changed. No one we spoke to said they would ever consider taking up a new life in PNG.
For most, it is Australia or nothing. Mr Rudd's PNG solution appears to be having the desired outcome in the heart of the people-smuggling world.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.