McDonalds helps it's employees budget! (Irony)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

McDonalds helps it's employees budget! (Irony)

Post by Mr Bean »

So McDonalds put together a website to help it's employee's manage their money. Part of that website is a budget tool, lets just call it the McBudget. There are two things I want to show you.
Here is the first the sample McBudget they list on the webpage.

The second thing is this handy Youtube video only a minute and twenty seconds in length which explains how what's wrong with that sample budget.
Give it a watch

Last is the website in question. Taking bets on how long it stays up.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Re: McDonalds helps it's employees budget! (Irony)

Post by Flagg »

If you need a video to see what's wrong with that you might be a fucking bonobo. A goddamned monkey. For reals.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

Hmm so helping people to set up budgets is not helpful? Could it have been done better yes, but I fail to see how this is a bad thing in the long run.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Flagg wrote:If you need a video to see what's wrong with that you might be a fucking bonobo. A goddamned monkey. For reals.
Or not from the US. I mean, maybe there are parts of the country where $600 a month is a reasonable market rent; I wouldn't know.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

Zaune wrote:
Flagg wrote:If you need a video to see what's wrong with that you might be a fucking bonobo. A goddamned monkey. For reals.
Or not from the US. I mean, maybe there are parts of the country where $600 a month is a reasonable market rent; I wouldn't know.
I have lived in places in North and South Carolina were the rent was as low as 400 dollars a month. Minor nitpick with the video is they point out that heat is zero but ignore the electric bill is 90. All the places I have lived the heat was part of the electric bill so seem I fail to see how having a zero heating bill is a bad thing.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

hunter5 wrote:Hmm so helping people to set up budgets is not helpful? Could it have been done better yes, but I fail to see how this is a bad thing in the long run.
The helpfulness comes from the assumption that in order to make ends meet any McDonalds employee is to be expected to put in 80 hours per week.
But again watch the video that's a minute twenty you won't regret spending watching a video.
hunter5 wrote:Minor nitpick with the video is they point out that heat is zero but ignore the electric bill is 90. All the places I have lived the heat was part of the electric bill so seem I fail to see how having a zero heating bill is a bad thing.
Most places I've been to where electric is part of the heat are either higher end (IE all electric) or very low end (IE no central heat)

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

Mr Bean wrote:
hunter5 wrote:Hmm so helping people to set up budgets is not helpful? Could it have been done better yes, but I fail to see how this is a bad thing in the long run.
The helpfulness comes from the assumption that in order to make ends meet any McDonalds employee is to be expected to put in 80 hours per week.
But again watch the video that's a minute twenty you won't regret spending watching a video.
hunter5 wrote:Minor nitpick with the video is they point out that heat is zero but ignore the electric bill is 90. All the places I have lived the heat was part of the electric bill so seem I fail to see how having a zero heating bill is a bad thing.
Most places I've been to where electric is part of the heat are either higher end (IE all electric) or very low end (IE no central heat)
Oh I did watch the video and I looked at the site I got less of an impression that this was less a complete guide on how to make ends met and more a simple how to write a budget guide. Like I said all the places I have lived at have had heat as part of the electric bill and I have had an electric bill around 100 dollars a month so I really don't see the problem.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

A budget that doesn't even include food, let alone all the other missing expenses, is not an even incomplete guide on how to budget. It's worse than not trying to show anything at all.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

I'd like to know where the hell you get health insurance that's $20 a month.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Re: McDonalds helfic ps it's employees budget! (Irony)

Post by Esquire »

Grandmaster Jogurt wrote:A budget that doesn't even include food, let alone all the other missing expenses, is not an even incomplete guide on how to budget. It's worse than not trying to show anything at all.
It's not a budget that doesn't include food, it's a budget that doesn't include food as a specific fixed-cost line item. This is an t entirely different thing, and not an unreasonable one - my monthly food budget varies by as much as $200 between months, so folding it into discretionary spending isn't a bad idea.

The real problem is the fact that the given monthly income value works out to $15 an hour for a 40-hour week, not that the example budget does not include an exhaustive list of every possible cost.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

My guess is it's meant to be a dual income household budget.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Re: McDonalds helfic ps it's employees budget! (Irony)

Esquire wrote:It's not a budget that doesn't include food, it's a budget that doesn't include food as a specific fixed-cost line item. This is an t entirely different thing, and not an unreasonable one - my monthly food budget varies by as much as $200 between months, so folding it into discretionary spending isn't a bad idea.

The real problem is the fact that the given monthly income value works out to $15 an hour for a 40-hour week, not that the example budget does not include an exhaustive list of every possible cost.
Labeling it as "spending" money is pretty disingenuous then, if it's largely earmarked for vital necessities. And the $15 an hour thing probably isn't what they meant at all. They already admit you're working two jobs here; they're probably assuming you're working 39 hours per week in each of your two jobs.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

I don't disagree, but there's really no better place to put it. An average monthly food budget wouldn't accomplish much, since it can vary so much. A single guy might have one month where he ate only pancakes and potatoes for a total cost of $100*, and another month with multiple dates where he spent five times that. My point is, McDonalds appears to be doing a good thing here (and that hurts to say) by trying to help their employees manage their money.

*Pulled more or less out of my ass; the weekly food run for my family of four growing up was about $100.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

The two jobs thing is a bit off putting, but honestly the rest is fine for a simple example budget designed for people that likely don't budget at all.

I can show you how it breaks down for me and why it's not the worst thing ever.

Income 1st Job: $1,348 (Net)
Income 2nd Job: $0
Other Income: $0

Savings: $100
Mortgage/rent: $650
Car Payment: $60 (Bus pass)
Insurance: $0 (Should invest in renters insurance)
Health Insurance: $0 (Canadian Medical Service Plan is free if you earn under a certain amount yearly)
Heating: $0 (Utilities included in my suite)
Cable/Internet/Phone: $115
Electric: $0
Other: $150 (Debt payments)

Monthly Expenses Total: $1,075

Monthly Spending Money: $273

Money per Day: $9

Now if I wasn't working a shit job while waiting to go on a 7 month vacation I'd be far better off, but as it is I can survive well enough and that budget is good as a rough guide.
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Los wrote: I'd like to know where the hell you get health insurance that's $20 a month.
Medicaid.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Surlethe wrote:
Los wrote: I'd like to know where the hell you get health insurance that's $20 a month.
Medicaid.
Depends on the state you're in. The batch of Republicans voted in in 2010 up here made it so there's literally no way to actually get on there unless you're under 21 or a single mother with dependents (the waiting list has been indefinitely frozen). Even complete lack of income doesn't cut it.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

It occurs to me now that your post was more "if you can get it, it could be that cheap" rather than "it'll be that cheap and you can get it", so never mind, my point kind of went off the mark there :L
fgalkin2
Padawan Learner

Post by fgalkin2 »

Zaune wrote:
You can rent for $600 a month, even in NYC. It will likely be a room in a shared apartment somewhere in the Bronx, but it is possible.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
This is me posting from a public computer or a mobile device.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Zaune wrote:
You can get an apartment for under 500 euros a month, depending on how low you're willing to go wrt quality and size you can go down to 300 or so. Out farther from the city you can rent bigger places for 4-500.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

It should also be pointed out that, on average, US minimum wage is pathetic. I mean, the $10.25/hour wage in BC is hard to live on in some places but getting 40 hours a week earns you roughly $1,400/month. That's pretty close to a wage you'd get working two crap jobs in the US and cost of living isn't that different over all.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

As it happens, my rent is under $600/month and utilities are included... but I'll be the first to admit it's a steal of a deal. Average rents in my area are $750+ and utilities are extra.

You CAN budget for food, particularly if you do a lot of your own cooking. Mine runs around $450/month for two people but if I had to I could cut it further. Consider, though, that many restaurants either let employees eat free or at reduced cost. Presumably, McDonald's employees can get food at work...? Not take out, but eat on their breaks.

I agree, though, that the budget is laughable in several ways, not the least of which is the inclusion of a second job as a necessity.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

I assumed when I saw the second job line that it was a family budget, and thus included room for two jobs.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Certainly a possibility.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Broomstick wrote:Certainly a possibility.
Except it says explicitly "2nd Job" not "Second Income". Further the first job is just about right for a 40 hour minimum wage job after taxes. The second job close to it.

Second this is not a family income planner because the expenses would be much higher in some areas lower in others.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Zaune wrote:
This time two years ago, I was renting a room in a fairly decent suburb of Washington, D.C. for $575 a month. Utilities included. To be fair, it was literally a room, with shared bathroom access with the other three tenants on the floor, and a family living downstairs that sublet their house. But it wasn't a bad place to live, for a graduate student bachelor or someone with similar expectations.

I assume the other tenants were paying roughly the same, and the owners worked at least 1.5 jobs between the two of them, so I'm pretty sure that covered the mortgage nicely.
Mr Bean wrote:
Now THAT is rich. Really rich... hah.
Where I live right now, gas and electric are billed separately, and the heater runs on natural gas.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov