Romney responds to Libya by criticizing Obama

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Romney responds to Libya by criticizing Obama

Post by chitoryu12 »

Link
FAIRFAX, Va. -- One day after criticizing President Obama in the hours following the announcement of the deaths of four U.S. diplomats, Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney softened his tone on Thursday, and focused on grieving.

"I know that we've had heavy hearts across America today, and I want you to know things are going to get a lot better. But I also recognize that we're in mourning. We've lost four of our diplomats across the world. We're thinking about their families and those that they've left behind," Romney said, at the beginning of a rally with roughly 2,700 supporters here in Northern Virginia.

Then, as Romney continued to lament the loss of U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens, and the three others killed in Benghazi, a heckler distracted him.

"What a tragedy, to lose such a wonderful, wonderful, uh," Romney said, as the heckler began to yell, "Why are you politicizing Libya?"

Romney continued, "wonderful people that have been so wonderful."

The crowd chanted the heckler down, and then Romney made a decision that if he held a moment of silence, it would be disrupted by the protester.

"And so I would offer a moment of silence but one gentleman doesn't want to be silent so we're going to keep on going," Romney said.

Romney's comments came one day after he leveled a blistering critique at the president just hours after Stevens' death was announced. It was an apparent acknowledgment by Romney that he may have struck an off-note on Wednesday, when he talking briefly about mourning the Americans' deaths but spent most of his time blasting Obama's approach to foreign relations.

Romney criticized Obama's foreign policy on Thursday, but more subtly and more broadly, making it an issue of leadership. He recounted a conversation with former Polish President Lech Walesa.

"He said, 'The world needs American leadership,'" Romney said. "Where is American leadership? We need a strong America. Where is American leadership? And I intend to lead an America that is strong, that helps lead the world."

"As we watch the world today sometimes it seems that we're at the mercy of events instead of shaping events, and a strong America is essential to shape events," Romney said. "The world needs American leadership. The Middle East neads American leadership. And I intend to be a president that provides the leadership that America respects and will keep us admired throughout the world."

Romney also made a somewhat confusing reference to conflicts abroad, in the context of knocking Obama's inaction so far to stave off cuts to the Pentagon budget, which are set to take effect next year under a budget deal reached last year.

"Ever since FDR we've had the capacity to be engaged in two conflicts at once, and he said no we're going to cut that back to only one conflict," Romney said. "And so he's put in place, cancelled almost a trillion dollars with his budget cuts and the sequestration cuts, you'll have almost a trillion dollars of cuts to our military. If I'm president of the United States we will restore our military commitment and keep America the strongest military in the world."

But one day after striking a defiant stance over his initial quickness to criticize the president, Romney steered clear of potentially controversial remarks. After addressing the issue of America's standing in the world early on, most of Romney's speech focused on how he will fix America's economy and restore jobs. It was a somewhat disjointed pivot by the Republican, as he now appears to be taking a wait-and-see approach to developments overseas, which continue to unfold. Anti-American protests have erupted in Tunisia and Yemen in the last 24 hours.

Before the rally, Romney supporters said they agreed with the Republican's initial reaction to the attacks on the embassies.

"Romney came out tough and I think that's necessary. Obama's a wimp," said Valerie Conway, 56, a stay-at-home mom.

John Solwell, 74, a retired engineer, agreed, referencing President Teddy Roosevelt's maxim to "speak softly and carry a big stick," and charging that "this president doesn't even have a stick."

Solwell said he was worried, however, about Romney's chances this fall, because too many voters would make their choice based on "charisma." Polls show Romney and Obama in a dead heat in Virginia.

"I think that people are going to vote for personalities rather than issues," Solwell said.

"I think people are disenchanted enough," he added, regaining some optimism as he spoke. "How many people do not vote that voted for Obama in 2008? I think that will make the difference."

Conway said she was worried that criticism of Romney's response to the events overseas was going to hurt his political prospects.

"I'm a little anxious," she said.
Did he seriously criticize Obama for trying to cut back on war and military spending? "C'mon guys, don't be pussies! We can handle two fights, so give us two fights!"

Turning a deadly event into a platform to criticize the guy whose job he's trying to take is already going a bit over the line. But saying that we need to continue the fighting and encouraging people to hate us because it essentially makes us look tough is just reminding me of a drunk trying to pick fights at the bar.
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Re: Romney responds to Libya by criticizing Obama

Post by TheHammer »

Yeah He's kinda barking up the wrong tree if he's trying to beat Obama on foreign policy. This is the guy who did end the Iraq war, killed Bin Laden, and lead efforts to topple Gadaffi. If he were a Republican he'd be worshipped as foreign policy hero. I have to wonder why he's essentially pitching into Obama's wheelhouse, when the economy is really the only strength he has. But perhaps he's reached the conclusion that he's taken that as far as it can go.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Kitchen-sink politics, nothing more. The mark of a desperate man, and a desperate campaign.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

According to Death & Taxes, college Romney would use an old cop uniform and put light bars on his truck so he could pull over motorists for shits and giggles, and personally tries to bust couples on California beaches smoking pot. I think saber rattling and picking fights is his forte.
Lord MJ
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord MJ »

Dalton wrote:Kitchen-sink politics, nothing more. The mark of a desperate man, and a desperate campaign.
I don't know if Romney is desperate. I think he honestly feels that he's gaining ground and winning and that he will seal the deal at the debates.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

He comes across as an arrogant ass in that article. The world needs a strong America to lead it? Fuck you, as if two wars in ten years, a disastrous economy and the steady erosion of civil rights wasn't enough.

What a complete fucking tool.
Lord MJ
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord MJ »

He probably figures he has nothing to lose, he doesn't really care about what people that will vote for Obama anyway feel about what he says. Furthermore he has room to say what he wants in regards to foreign policy because his base will eat it up, and the economy is the big issue anyway. So any non-Obama voter that dislikes what he says about foreign policy he can win over with his economic message (or dissatisfaction with Obama's economic record).
Dr. Trainwreck
Jedi Knight

Post by Dr. Trainwreck »

The world needs American leadership. The Middle East neads American leadership. And I intend to be a president that provides the leadership that America respects and will keep us admired throughout the world.
That thing, only in reverse, isn't some wanker saying that America is full of infidels? Isn't it an Iranian asshole saying that Isreal must be destroyed? Of course, we're dealing with an entire party of MERRICA FUCKYEAH morons here, so I think it's to be expected. Damn, I grew up watching Bush Jr. making as ass out of himself and invading foreign countries, and his successor seeks to be even worse. What's next, vowing to destroy France?
Ποταμοῖσι τοῖσιν αὐτοῖσιν ἐμϐαίνουσιν, ἕτερα καὶ ἕτερα ὕδατα ἐπιρρεῖ. Δὶς ἐς τὸν αὐτὸν ποταμὸν οὐκ ἂν ἐμβαίης.

The seller was a Filipino called Dr. Wilson Lim, a self-declared friend of the M.I.L.F. -Grumman
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

Does Romney think that we'd have managed to gain respect and prevent terrorist attacks if we just nuked the Middle East after the 1993 WTC bombing? We can all see firsthand what the wars have gotten us: a lot of dead Americans, a lot of people hating us, and a lot of nothing when it comes to bringing peace and stability.

The war in Afghanistan has continued for over a decade now. On the Coalition side, almost 15,000 have died, and estimates for civilian deaths range from 12,500 to 14,700. And somehow, he thinks that's a good thing, and that all we need to do is keep shooting guys in turbans and increasing our military strength as much as possible in the hopes that it'll scare everyone away (because invading Iraq and Afghanistan definitely made them all back down and surrender, right).

I'm vaguely reminded of Back to the Future Part II[/url], with the comments about Nixon continuing Vietnam into 1985 while still promising that it'll all be over.
Lord MJ
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord MJ »

From what I've seen from the Romney campaign, they are trying to paint Obama as a foreign policy bungler. Similar to Jimmy Carter.

They are going to throw the kitchen sink at Obama so that they can have him on the defensive come debate time.

Some of the arguments they are making "Obama is trying to lead from behind in regards to the Arab Spring." "America is not perceived and respected as a superpower under Obama," "Obama did not attend half of his Presidential Daily briefings," "Obama does not know what is going on in the world."

Just a couple days ago Obama made the statement "Egypt is not an ally, nor is it an enemy." Well officially Egypt is an ally. Now I know that he was really talking about whether the new Egyptian government is an ally or enemy of the US. That remains to be seen, how ultimately they decide to conduct themselves. But I'm pretty sure the GOP machine is going to hammer Obama that that statement shows he is clueless in regards to foreign policy.

They will consider it a victory if the Romney campaign succeeds in cutting down Obama's approval rating on foreign policy just a little bit.
Lord MJ
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord MJ »

The PDB attack is a new one. But they are saying that Obama would rather play golf or attend fundraisers than be attentive to foreign policy.

Romney's advisor appeared on Fox News saying that "Obama is so egotistical and arrogant that he things he is so smart that he can read the briefing and understand everything."

We'll see if the Obama campaign has a good counter for Romney's arguments, but the Romney campaign is going all out on this.
Sephirius
Jedi Master

Post by Sephirius »

I think the image below says it all, to be honest.

I mean jesus, it looks like he just found the Death Note or something.
Saying smaller engines are better is like saying you don't want huge muscles because you wouldn't fit through the door. So what? You can bench 500. Fuck doors. - MadCat360
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

"America is not perceived and respected as a superpower under Obama,"
I'm pretty sure we're not respected because the early and mid 2000s had us acting like total assholes, not because Obama isn't trying to murder more brown people to scare the rest of them away.
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

Lord MJ wrote:From what I've seen from the Romney campaign, they are trying to paint Obama as a foreign policy bungler. Similar to Jimmy Carter.

They are going to throw the kitchen sink at Obama so that they can have him on the defensive come debate time.

Some of the arguments they are making "Obama is trying to lead from behind in regards to the Arab Spring." "America is not perceived and respected as a superpower under Obama," "Obama did not attend half of his Presidential Daily briefings," "Obama does not know what is going on in the world."

Just a couple days ago Obama made the statement "Egypt is not an ally, nor is it an enemy." Well officially Egypt is an ally. Now I know that he was really talking about whether the new Egyptian government is an ally or enemy of the US. That remains to be seen, how ultimately they decide to conduct themselves. But I'm pretty sure the GOP machine is going to hammer Obama that that statement shows he is clueless in regards to foreign policy.

They will consider it a victory if the Romney campaign succeeds in cutting down Obama's approval rating on foreign policy just a little bit.

I think you got the magic word here. The linchpin of the recent Romney strategy has been to make Obama into the popular perception of Jimmy Carter, well meaning but ineffectual and naive.

That Romney doesn't have a fraction of Regean's political talent is a big reason I doubt they pull this off.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

chitoryu12 wrote:According to Death & Taxes, college Romney would use an old cop uniform and put light bars on his truck so he could pull over motorists for shits and giggles, and personally tries to bust couples on California beaches smoking pot. I think saber rattling and picking fights is his forte.

I'm pretty sure impersonating an officer is a felony, at least in Pennsylvania. It'd be enough to put me in jail, must be nice to be rich.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Lord MJ
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord MJ »

Wild card here is Benjamin Netanyahu possibly trying to inject himself into the presidential campaign. He seems to be in the Romney camp, and all it would take is a statement from him that "Obama has failed to protect Isreal's interest and that Mitt Romney would do a better job supporting Isreal" to cause a shitstorm that Romney will gleefully take advantage of.
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

PhilosopherOfSorts wrote:
chitoryu12 wrote:According to Death & Taxes, college Romney would use an old cop uniform and put light bars on his truck so he could pull over motorists for shits and giggles, and personally tries to bust couples on California beaches smoking pot. I think saber rattling and picking fights is his forte.

I'm pretty sure impersonating an officer is a felony, at least in Pennsylvania. It'd be enough to put me in jail, must be nice to be rich.
While I'd suggest that it may not necessarily be true (since the source is supposedly one of the guys who knew him in school), as far as I know Romney and his campaign have not done anything to deny the allegations.
D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

Lord MJ wrote:Wild card here is Benjamin Netanyahu possibly trying to inject himself into the presidential campaign. He seems to be in the Romney camp, and all it would take is a statement from him that "Obama has failed to protect Isreal's interest and that Mitt Romney would do a better job supporting Isreal" to cause a shitstorm that Romney will gleefully take advantage of.
The only shitstorm that would ensue would be the entire US media coming down on Netanyahu like a shit-ton of bricks, telling him to get the fuck out of the US presidential race. Romney has already gotten a shit-ton of criticism from pretty much everyone for his totally idiotic, inept handling of the whole situation. Like always, you are totally overreacting in a stupid, unthinking fashion.
Lord MJ
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord MJ »

It all depends on the narrative that the GOP is willing to spin. Obama is depending on key groups of Jews (particularly in southern Florida counties). But some good news is that even staunch pro-Isreal politicians in the US are starting to criticize Netanyahu. There are more than a few people that want Netanyahu gone.

http://972mag.com/mainstream-american-m ... ahu/55787/

Mainstream American media and pro-Israel pols are turning against Netanyahu

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu seems to have miscalculated with his latest attempt to bait President Obama and manipulate the results of the U.S. elections results. On Monday, Netanyahu leveled what the New York Times described as “unusually harsh public comments about Israel’s most important ally,” regarding the Obama administration’s policy on Iran. Speaking in English one day after Secretary of State Clinton said the United States was “not setting deadlines” regarding military action against Iran, Netanyahu said:

The world tells Israel ‘wait, there’s still time’. And I say, ‘Wait for what? Wait until when?’ Those in the international community who refuse to put red lines before Iran don’t have a moral right to place a red light before Israel.

As Noam Sheizaf reports, this speech was followed by a claim from the prime minister’s office that Obama had rejected a request for a meeting during Netanyahu’s upcoming visit to the U.N., where he is scheduled to address the General Assembly. The White House denied the snub, Obama called Netanyahu – reportedly at 3 a.m. – to have a one-hour chat and thus both sides pulled back from the brink of a public rupture, just two months before the presidential elections.

But then something interesting happened. Yesterday, a prominent U.S. senator and two important journalists made highly critical remarks about Netanyahu. The blunt wording is almost unprecedented in mainstream American discourse.

Senator Barbara Boxer published a letter to Netanyahu on her website as a press release, titled “Boxer Expresses Disappointment Over Israeli Prime Minister’s Remarks.” In the opening paragraph she describes herself as “one of Israel’s staunchest supporters in Congress” (which she is), and then characterizes Netanyahu’s remarks as “utterly contrary to the extraordinary United States-Israel alliance, evidenced by President Obama’s record and the record of Congress.” After offering a detailed list of the extraordinary measures the president has taken to ensure Israel’s security, particularly the enacting of the U.S.-Israel Enhanced Security Cooperation Act, the senator writes:

In light of this, I am stunned by the remarks that you made this week regarding U.S. support for Israel. Are you suggesting that the United States is not Israel’s closest ally and does not stand by Israel? Are you saying that Israel, under President Obama, has not received more in annual security assistance from the United States than at any time in its history, including for the Iron Dome Missile Defense System?

David Remnick, editor of the New Yorker, also had some harsh words for Netanyahu in a piece, Neocon Gambits (“Have Netanyahu’s Attacks on Obama Gone too Far?), published yesterday on the magazine’s web site. He pulls no punches in his opening paragraph:

It is hard to overestimate the risks that Benjamin Netanyahu poses to the future of his own country. As Prime Minister, he has done more than any other political figure to embolden and elevate the reactionary forces in Israel, to eliminate the dwindling possibility of a just settlement with the Palestinians, and to isolate his country on the world diplomatic stage. Now Netanyahu seems determined, more than ever, to alienate the President of the United States and, as an ally of Mitt Romney’s campaign, to make himself a factor in the 2012 election—one no less pivotal than the most super Super PAC.

But then we come to the main point:

In Netanyahu’s view, Obama, despite instituting crippling economic sanctions, despite carrying out a series of covert operations, despite diplomatic pressure, despite vows that an Iranian bomb is impermissible—despite all that—is weak and deluded. The Israeli Prime Minister has made no secret of his distrust, even though Israeli politicians acknowledge that intelligence and defense coöperation has never been stronger. His trusted American allies are not the elected President but, rather, his friends on the American right, the politicians, business people, and lobbyists, who are never willing to disagree with Israel at all.

Remnick seems genuinely outraged. Netanyahu’s “performance,” he writes,” is in the same neocon voice as the one adopted by the Romney campaign and in its opportunistic reaction to the attacks on the U.S. diplomatic outposts in Cairo and Benghazi, which left our Ambassador to Libya, Christopher Stevens, and three other consular employees dead.”

And then Joe Klein, another prominent U.S journalist, said during an MSNBC interview that Netanyahu’s remarks were “brazen” and “disgusting.”

I don’t think I’ve ever, in the 40 years I’ve been doing this, have heard of another of an American ally trying to push us into war as blatantly and trying to influence an American election as blatantly as Bibi Netanyahu and the Likud party in Israel is doing right now. I think it’s absolutely outrageous and disgusting. It’s not a way that friends treat each other. And it is cynical and it is brazen. And by the way, a little bit of history here: In December of 2006, George W. Bush went over to the Pentagon, met with the joint chiefs of staff and asked them, “What do you think about military action in Iran?” They were unanimously opposed to it. And as far as I know, the United States military, the leaders of the United States military, are unanimously opposed to it to this day. This is a fool’s errand. It would be a ridiculous war with absolutely no good coming of it.

Mainstream America is not interested in going to war with Iran, it seems. Nor does it take kindly to a foreign leader meddling so obviously in domestic politics. Perhaps the death of Ambassador Chris Stevens was the final straw, but I think the remarks made by Boxer, Klein and Remnick were a long time coming. The fact that they are all Jewish gives the lie to Sheldon Adelson’s claim that he represents the mainstream Jewish community’s point of view – as does a quick perusal of the names of the biggest donors to the Obama campaign (the bundlers).

Meanwhile, the abysmal relationship between Obama and Netanyahu is Politico’s top story today.

“There is a lack of rapport between these two men — they don’t like each other very much. Plus, there are serious differences between our interests and Israel’s own security interests,” said former State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley, who was present for several of Obama’s nine face-to-face meetings with Netanyahu.

D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

Lord MJ wrote:It all depends on the narrative that the GOP is willing to spin. Obama is depending on key groups of Jews (particularly in southern Florida counties). But some good news is that even staunch pro-Israel politicians in the US are starting to criticize Netanyahu. There are more than a few people that want Netanyahu gone.
Thanks for making my point and showing that your previous statement was total reactionary bullshit. Foreign political crisis and foreign meddling with US presidential elections is one of the few areas where there still exists agreement within almost the entire US political sphere (whether from politicians, journalists, professionals, or whatever). You simply do not jump in headlong and meddle with a developing foreign policy crisis, and foreign politicians stay the hell out of US presidential elections.

There is nothing the GOP can do to change this in the short-term.
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

"He said, 'The world needs American leadership,'" Romney said. "Where is American leadership? We need a strong America. Where is American leadership? And I intend to lead an America that is strong, that helps lead the world."

"As we watch the world today sometimes it seems that we're at the mercy of events instead of shaping events, and a strong America is essential to shape events," Romney said. "The world needs American leadership. The Middle East neads American leadership. And I intend to be a president that provides the leadership that America respects and will keep us admired throughout the world."
To be honest, we like you guys better when you're not trying to shape events. Especially given that the events here involve riots and murdered diplomats. Given that he's complaining about cuts to the military budget, there's no positive way to interpret this statement.
:D
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

Such an epic military budget is plain wasteful. We're not doing nearly enough to justify 2009's budget making up 40% of all global arms spending, and quite a few people would argue that we didn't have to get our asses involved in the Middle East for so damn long in the first place.

I think Romney's just upset that we haven't made it to the 50% mark yet.
DarkArk
Padawan Learner

Post by DarkArk »

We're not doing nearly enough to justify 2009's budget making up 40% of all global arms spending
Maintaining pretty much complete and total global hegemony? I think spending 5% of GDP making sure no one has any real capability to attack the US is a pretty damn solid investment. What more would you want the US military to do?
In Netanyahu’s view, Obama, despite instituting crippling economic sanctions, despite carrying out a series of covert operations, despite diplomatic pressure, despite vows that an Iranian bomb is impermissible—despite all that—is weak and deluded.
I never really had much of an opinion on Netanyahu before this. He's clearly become a deluded idiot if he thinks the US is going to go to war with Iran short of anything but a conformation on bomb production. The US public does not want another war in the Middle East right now, the military doesn't either for that matter, and for him to get all huffy about it shows a remarkable lack of diplomacy.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

What.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Lord MJ
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord MJ »

Interested in seeing what the new polls look like in the aftermath of the protests.

The method to the Romney campaign's madness is that if they kept quiet about foreign policy, that would allow Obama to show leadership for almost a whole week almost unchallenged. That could cost Romney the election. By launching his attacks against Obama, he can blunt the image of Obama showing leadership and cast doubt over Obama's foreign policy performance.

If Obama is polling the same or better next week, I will be relieved, and would mean that Romney would have a very poor chance of winning. It is also possible that Obama's ratings go down, which would mean that Romney's attacks were a properly calculated political move.