Herman Cain Drops Out

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Herman Cain Drops Out

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Link.
Herman Cain, the insurgent populist whose candidacy has been ensnared by allegations of sexual impropriety, said Saturday that he is leaving the race for the Republican presidential nomination, saying that the allegations have cast a "cloud of doubt over me and this campaign."

"As of today, with a lot of prayer and soul searching, I am suspending my presidential campaign," he said at an event in Atlanta. "I am suspending my presidential campaign because of the continued distraction, the continued hurt . . . on me, on my family, not because we are not fighters, not because I am not a fighter."

Cain's campaign had sent mixed signals as to his future since Ginger White, an Atlanta woman who claims to have had an affair with Cain for more than a decade, went public with her story earlier this week. While Cain has said he has been "reassessing" his candidacy, he also, at times, has been fiercely defiant, suggesting that unnamed enemies have been trying to do him in and vowing to press forward.

"The pundits would like for me to shut up, drop out and go away," he said. "I am not going to be silenced, and I am not going away."

White's claims came after Cain faced weeks of allegations of sexual misconduct by at least three women stemming from his tenure as the head of the National Restaurant Assn. in the late 1990s.

Even as Cain continued to decry the claims as "false" and "baseless," the sheer weight of the scandal has taken a brutal toll on the campaign, diverting Cain from advocating the "9-9-9" tax plan that helped turn him into a household name almost overnight, costing him financial support, and damaging him in the polls.

He was also hurt by a series of costly gaffes and confused moments, particularly with regard to foreign affairs, that exposed the Atlanta businessman's lack of experience on the national political stage. Added together, the tumult persuaded conservatives looking for a champion to turn elsewhere, with most now casting their eyes at Newt Gingrich.
Last edited by Dalton on 2011-12-06 11:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: How did I fuck this up?
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Re: Herman Cain Drops Out

Post by Iroscato »

So, one dickhead drops out of a race between multiple dickheads, all of whom are planning on going into a grand finale race against another dickhead.
Yawn.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Chimaera wrote:So, one dickhead drops out of a race between multiple dickheads, all of whom are planning on going into a grand finale race against another dickhead.
Yawn.
And so speaks the ignorant if you think there's no difference in the brand of dickheads. Give you a hint only four of them will have have Britian helping us invade Iran.

On to the story at hand more and more it looks like Paul or Newt are going to grab another five points in the next public poll.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
BrooklynRedLeg
Youngling

Post by BrooklynRedLeg »

One asshole down, six more to go. Bye, Cain, you shmuck. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. :finger:
"Democracy, too, is a religion. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." - H.L. Mencken
“An atheist, who is a statist, is just another theist.” – Stefan Molyneux
"If men are good, you don't need government; if men are evil or ambivalent, you don't dare have one." - Robert LeFevre
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

The Onion has perhaps the simplest commentary as one of their headlines.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

This can be pretty bad news for Romney's campaign. Every right-wing tea party candidate that drops out increases the probability that they will actually unite behind one of the survivors for more than a week or two. His main hope for getting the GOP nod is keeping the ultra-conservative field as crowded as possible so he'd be able to squeak by as a consensus candidate when the dust clears.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I dunno. I think he might have a viable chance of winning by simply going toe to toe with a Tea Party survivor and demonstrating that he's just a better candidate: looks more like a president and less like a screaming lunatic. While far-right voters have a huge effect on Republican primaries, they're not the entire voting base in the primaries, and even people on the far right may, in their heart, prefer a Republican who isn't a complete flake.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I am sure nobody, nobody saw that one coming.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Now we'll never have a black president.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

weemadando wrote:Now we'll never have a black president.
I guess...America just isn't ready yet. :(
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Thanas wrote:I am sure nobody, nobody saw that one coming.
I thought Perry, Santorum or Bachmann would have dropped out before Cain.

Colour me surprised by that turn of events.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Herman Cain quotes Pokemon in concession speech.

This is already one of the most surreal presidential elections in American history, and I can only hope it keeps getting dumber.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I'm sort of hoping that, no matter how surreal, we don't have a repeat of the Wednesday in November we all woke up and didn't know who was the next PotUS was even though the election was over. Now THAT was weird.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

weemadando wrote:Now we'll never have a black president.
Why not? They have already had a Secret Kenyan Muslim who hates America.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

So, does anyone think he actually did cheat on his wife? Just out of idle curiosity, you know.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
mingo
Jedi Knight

Post by mingo »

Zaune wrote:So, does anyone think he actually did cheat on his wife? Just out of idle curiosity, you know.
Truth is I couldn't give Shit less if he did or didn't, he was never going to be the nominee.

I had said the same of Newt, but now I begin to wonder. Newt actually has some exprience and may be able to mount a half credible campaign against Obama. It's true that he's spouting the same crazy bullshit all the Republicans spout, but having a reasonable idea disqualifies you from being a Republican, so he might just make it. I do think he'll be crushed by Obama.Romney would have a tough time beating him, but he could drawn some independent that Newt can't. Remains to be seen, but Cain was always a sideshow.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but the conquering of it.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight inside the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-Anais Nin
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Newt's too much of a loose cannon for the comfort of the powers-that-be within the GOP, so expect them, through their various tools, to plant a mine or three under his campaign trail. As it is, though, he's another candidate who appeals to the hardcore base but couldn't get general support if his life depended upon it. I expect him to fail within six weeks.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

Just a quick recap:

Gingrich 26.6% (rising)
Romney 20.4% (holding steady)
Cain 14.0% (OUT)
Paul 8.0% (holding steady)
Perry 7.2% (going down)
Bachmann 4.6% (meh)
Santorum 2.6% (points and laughs)
Huntsman 2.4% (sigh)

There really aren't any Tea Party candidates left. Cain is out, and Perry is continuing his slide into oblivion. Bachman hasn't managed a rally after the fall of her Tea Party compatriots and isn't going to now. It's all down to Gingrich and Romney - and if the establishment want someone other than Gingrich, that doesn't leave them with only one option. So right now, it's all a question of whether the disaffected Tea Party members will be able to maintain their support for Gingrich or whether Romney's shadowy overlords will be able to the sabotage the Gingrich campaign.

Last time I posted from this site, I had thought Ron Paul could have snapped up some votes from Perry and Cain, but it looks like that they were all about the social conservatism and not really about small government after all (who would have though it!) so much for that, then. As for Santorum and Hunstman, no chance in hell. Good riddance on the former, too bad on the latter.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Lord Zentei wrote:Just a quick recap:

Gingrich 26.6% (rising)
Cain 14.0% (OUT)
Perry 7.2% (going down)
Bachmann 4.6% (meh)
Huntsman 2.4% (sigh)

There really aren't any Tea Party candidates left. Cain is out, and Perry is continuing his slide into oblivion. Bachman hasn't managed a rally after the fall of her Tea Party compatriots and isn't going to now. It's all down to Gingrich and Romney - and if the establishment want someone other than Gingrich, that doesn't leave them with only one option. So right now, it's all a question of whether the disaffected Tea Party members will be able to maintain their support for Gingrich or whether Romney's shadowy overlords will be able to the sabotage the Gingrich campaign.
From the very start of things the race has basically been "Who can we get OTHER then Mitt". Mitts numbers have been the save almost the whole time, meanwhile, everyone else goes up and down as they are considered as "anyone other then Mitt." It started with Bachmann, who started with huge numbers and then melted down, then the flood of support was transfered to Perry, who also melted down, then it fled to Cain, who just finished melting down, and NOW it seems to be going to Newt.

At no time throughout all of this have Mitts numbers gone up (or down) at all. This I would think shows just how massive the dislike for him is. That the far far right are willing to support an ever incresing list of dismal failures, rather then support Mitt. In another few weeks when Newt will inevitablly melt down, I don't know to whom support will flee to, but It won't be Mitt.

One has to wodner, if Mitt DOES get the party nod, it may well be a kiss of death to the rigths chances in 2012. Which is ironic because Mitt is the ONLY person who could appeal to the mindless middle in the country without looking a total nutcase.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

What you all are forgetting is one simple fact.
There's not that many weeks left. First primary is January 3rd
There's not time for the melt-down and re-emergence of another option meaning we are going to see either a Newt VS Romney primary with Ron Paul picking up a few contests or we might see.... :wtf: A Ron Paul VS Mittens primary which Ron Paul could potentially run away with as the last vote indicates Paul is well placed to win Iowa if Newt self destructs before Xmas... which he kind has to if he wants to self destruct in time not to win Iowa.

I'll wait for Nate over at 538 to run the numbers again but we have two more debates before the first primary from folks who matter (ABC on the 10th, Fox on the 15th) in which Newt could get the kind of melt down everyone is predicting. Except Newt is never one to be bad in a debate, it's always the extraneous things that crush him. But it is an excellent place for the other also rans and Ron Paul to savage him. Newt's been running pretty positively to date so those debates will be ones to follow to see if Mittens and Paul go super negative on him. Which is a problem for Mittens as pretty much anything except for his personal life is an attack on himself.

*Edit
Another important fact to consider, Fox News is not a Mitt fan either, he's the only one in the field they never got a paycheck to.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
UnderAGreySky
Jedi Knight

Post by UnderAGreySky »

Here's a hypothesis I'd like to run by SDN people:

Do you think that with today's media focus - with the internet, blogging, twitter and increased TV coverage (the 90s had nothing compared to the last 11 years IMO) - the incumbent US president always stands a much better chance of winning?

I say this because the primaries have not yet begun, but the top Republican contenders have spent the last six-twelve months tearing each other apart. Doesn't this hand a whole list of talking points for the incumbent campaign a whole year before he/she begins to factor in an opponent? It's easier to remember people's flaws than their pluses anyway so that's what will stick in memories. And the incumbent campaign can use this to remove potential threats - last month I saw a statement by the Democrats praising Mitt Romney on his insurance programme; what better way to alienate him even further from Republican voters than a kiss of death?

Just my thoughts, I'm finding the whole process fascinating in spite of being crushed by the load of tracking the ten billion debates happening.
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies,
Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Lord Zentei wrote:Just a quick recap:

Gingrich 26.6% (rising)
Cain 14.0% (OUT)
Perry 7.2% (going down)
Bachmann 4.6% (meh)
Huntsman 2.4% (sigh)

Last time I posted from this site, I had thought Ron Paul could have snapped up some votes from Perry and Cain, but it looks like that they were all about the social conservatism and not really about small government after all (who would have though it!) so much for that, then. As for Santorum and Hunstman, no chance in hell. Good riddance on the former, too bad on the latter.
More importantly national polls for primaries are totally useless.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

^ Not when the gap between the leading candidates and the trailing candidates becomes this high.

Crossroads Inc. wrote:At no time throughout all of this have Mitts numbers gone up (or down) at all. This I would think shows just how massive the dislike for him is. That the far far right are willing to support an ever incresing list of dismal failures, rather then support Mitt. In another few weeks when Newt will inevitablly melt down, I don't know to whom support will flee to, but It won't be Mitt.
The Tea Party candidates were all stealing votes from each other. The fact that Romney is a centrist flip-flopper (and a Mormon) means they'll go to the most credible right winger who's left.
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Zentei, I don't disagree but it won't happen right away. In Iowa they'll still be split among multiple candidates- Perry, Bachmann, Gingrich- because there will still be multiple far-right candidates.

After a few primaries, some of the far-right candidates will drop out of the running, and it'll reduce to a two-way or three-way contest, probably Romney vs. Gingrich vs. (others?).

Gingrich is less of an outright flake than Cain, Bachmann, or Perry, so I think he's more likely to be able to take the same surge of support they benefited from and turn it into a lasting support base.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

As someone who only started following presidential nomination process (rather than the general election) closely this election cycle, has it always been this bad? Because Republicans have produced an entire series sideshow acts, each one climbing to the top before crashing and burning before our very eyes. Sarah Palin, Donald Trump, Michelle Bachmann, Rick Perry, and now Herman Cain. They're not just people I disagree with, they're total jokes.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims