"federal trojan horse" spyware found in Germany

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Skgoa
Jedi Master

"federal trojan horse" spyware found in Germany

Post by Skgoa »

So, in their eternal quest to destroy their credibility, the german government and law enforcement agencies have embarassed themselves once more: they installed spyware on suspect's computers. Apart from the obvious ethical questions, this is explicitly illegal, since it's a general purpose trojan that can read and write arbitrary data on the infected computer. A federal court has ruled that spyware on a suspect's computer can only be used to listen in to Voice-over-IP calls.
But it gets even worse: anyone can connect to an infected computer and do whatever he wants, all you need is the IP. Scuttlebug is that the people at the CCC (whom the trojan had been leaked to) suspected that to be a smokescreen to hide the real trojan, since it's so patently stupid. :lol: When this story broke, our Interiour Minister promptly flew to Afghanistan. But he is back now and has put his foot into his mouth already.

Also, the Pirate Party is at 9% in federal polls. Just saying. ;)

German 'Government' R2D2 Trojan FAQ
by Graham Cluley on October 10, 2011

What has happened?
A Trojan horse has been discovered that is capable of spying on Skype internet calls, monitoring the online activity of infected computers, logging keystrokes, and updating its functionality via the net.

The Trojan, which most anti-virus vendors are calling "R2D2", but is also referred to as "0zapftis" or "Bundestrojaner", was announced by the famous Chaos Computer Club (CCC).

Why is the Trojan called R2D2?
The name comes from a string of characters embedded inside the Trojan's code:

C3PO-r2d2-POE

Where did the CCC get the malware from?
German lawyer Patrick Schladt has told the media that the Trojan horse was found on the hard disk of one of his client's computers.

Munich airport customsThe malware was allegedly installed onto the computer as it passed through customs control at Munich Airport.

Schaldt was defending his client against charges that fall under German law related to pharmaceuticals.

When the suspect and his legal team examined the digital evidence against them they found evidence that suggested a Trojan had been present - and the hard disk was shared with the CCC with the permission of Schladt's client.

The CCC were able to use forensic software to restore deleted files from the hard drive, uncovering the R2D2 Trojan horse.

Why is the Trojan so newsworthy?

The CCC implies that the malware was created for, and is being used by, German law enforcement authorities such as the BKA and LKA. Furthermore, Schaldt claims that the Customs department was also involved in the planting of the malware.

Who are the BKA and LKA?

The BKA (Bundeskriminalamt) is Germany's federal crime investigation agency. In addition, there are 16 LKAs (Landeskriminalamt) which act as state investigation bureaus.

The BKA has said that the files uncovered by the CCC, are not related to them. That's not to say, of course, that the BKA hasn't used spyware in other cases - just that they are officially denying a connection to the malware in this case.

Steffen Seibert, a spokesperson for the federal government, used Twitter to deny BKA involvement:
@RegSprecherSteffen Seibert@RegSprecher
Steffen Seibert
Bundesinnenministerium: BKA hat den durch den CCC dargestellten #Trojaner nicht eingesetzt, es handelt sich nicht um sog. #Bundestrojaner
October 9, 2011 4:27 pm via Twitter for iPadReplyRetweetFavorite
The LKA divisions, meanwhile, have not commented.

Police using spyware sounds controversial

It is. You can imagine why privacy advocates get the heebie-jeebies at the thought of police investigators being able to spy on computer activity without the user's knowledge.

Is it legal for the German authorities to spy on citizen's computers with a Trojan horse?

Under German law the police are allowed to use spyware to snoop on suspected criminals - but only under strict guidelines. For instance, authorities have to seek legal approval for an equivalent to a phone wiretap to record Skype conversations before they are encrypted.

Germany's Federal Constitutional Court has put in place strict legal guidelines which are supposed to limit what investigators' spying software can do. For instance, although recording Skype conversations is permissible, the spyware must not alter any code on the suspect's computer and safeguards must be put in place to prevent the Trojan being subverted to include additional functionality.

What does the R2D2 Trojan beyond snooping on Skype conversations?

In addition to recording Skype conversations, it can eavesdrop on the likes of the MSN Messenger and Yahoo Messenger chat clients, and record keystrokes in browsers such as Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer and SeaMonkey.
Furthermore, the Trojan can take capture the contents of users' screens, download updates and communicate with a remote website.

Which website does the Trojan communicate with?

The Trojan appears to connect to an IP address, 83.236.140.90, which appears to be based in Düsseldorf or Neuss.

Where is the LKA Nordrhein-Westfalen based?

Düsseldorf.

What more do we know about the LKA using spyware Trojans?
In early 2008, WikiLeaks leaked a confidential memo between the LKA and a software firm called DigiTask:

Read the report from WikiLeaks (in English), or view the German-language PDF.

The details leaked by WikiLeaks appear to match the behaviour of the R2D2 Trojan horse discovered by the Chaos Computer Club.

Of course, it is possible that DigiTask did not write the malware - but the functionality does match.

[...]

Can you prove that the R2D2 Trojan horse was written for and used by the LKA?

It's not really possible to *prove* who authored the malware, unless the German authorities confirm their involvement. However, it's beginning to look as though it's more likely that they were involved than not.

How would computers become infected by the R2D2 Trojan?

The malware targets Windows computers. Typically you might receive an email containing an attached file, or a link to the web which would then infect the computer.

Does Sophos detect the R2D2 Trojan?

Yes. Sophos products detect it as Troj/BckR2D2-A.

If you don't use Sophos products, contact your anti-virus vendor to see if they have added protection.

Shouldn't you guys work with the law enforcement agencies and deliberately not detect their malware?
We detect all the malware that we know about - regardless of who its author may be. So, SophosLabs adds protection against attacks on our customers' computers regardless of whether they may be state-sponsored or not.

If you think about it - there is no sensible alternative. What's to stop a cybercriminal commandeering a law enforcement Trojan and using it against an innocent party?

Our customers' protection comes first. If the authorities want us to not detect their malware, the onus is on them to try to write something that we can't detect, not for us to cripple our software.
source: http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/10 ... rojan-faq/
(bolded text as in the source)

Possible Governmental Backdoor Found ("Case R2D2") Posted by Mikko @ 20:42 GMT

Chaos Computer Club from Germany has tonight announced that they have located a backdoor trojan used by the German Government.

The announcement was made public on ccc.de with a detailed 20-page analysis of the functionality of the malware.

The malware in question is a Windows backdoor consisting of a DLL and a kernel driver.

The backdoor includes a keylogger that targets certain applications. These applications include Firefox, Skype, MSN Messenger, ICQ and others.

The backdoor also contains code intended to take screenshots and record audio, including recording Skype calls.

In addition, the backdoor can be remotely updated. Servers that it connects to include 83.236.140.90 and 207.158.22.134.

We do not know who created this backdoor and what it was used for.

We have no reason to suspect CCC's findings, but we can't confirm that this trojan was written by the German government. As far as we see, the only party that could confirm that would be the German government itself.

Our generic policy on detecting governmental backdoors or "lawful interception" police trojans can be read here. [http://www.f-secure.com/virus-info/bdtp.html]

We have never before analyzed a sample that has been suspected to be governmental backdoor. We have also never been asked by any government to avoid detecting their backdoors.

Having said that, we detect this backdoor as Backdoor:W32/R2D2.A

The name R2D2 comes from a string inside the trojan: "C3PO-r2d2-POE". This string is used internally by the trojan to initiate data transmission.

We are expecting this to become a major news story. It's likely there will be an official response from the German government.
source: http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00002249.html
(emphasis mine)
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: "federal trojan horse" spyware found in Germany

Post by Thanas »

Yeah, I expect the courts to slap them down hard. Apparently it was our good old authoritarian friends in Bavaria again...not surprising.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Post by Dragon Angel »

Huh, really? What group of bureaucrats thought that this would be a good idea? :wtf:

I'm not exactly familiar with German politics, so please excuse my ignorance. Is that state relatively known for incidents such as this?
"I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers, consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin', while my thoughts were busy hatchin', if I only had a brain!
I would not be just a nothin', my head all full of stuffin', my heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be would be a ding-a-derry, if I only had a brain!"
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Bavaria is known for being something of an aberration - they are the most conservative/authoritarian state out there.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

Dragon Angel wrote:Huh, really? What group of bureaucrats thought that this would be a good idea? :wtf:

I'm not exactly familiar with German politics, so please excuse my ignorance. Is that state relatively known for incidents such as this?
If you wanted to be cruel you could say that Bavaria is the Texas of Germany, a huge, highly religious state filled with people that aren't quite sure if they're part of the rest of the country or not.
Norseman's Fics the SD archive of my fics.
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

The funny thing is that more than half a dozen states have admited to using this spyware and even more states have bought something from the company that sells it. The case that broke the story was one where the trojan was installed by customs, though. So it's pretty obvious this is not just a bavarian problem.

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Well, our minister of the interior has now pulled the plug on all of these things. That might be the end of it but I fear it has wrecked too many cases already.

The FPD might actually be good for something if they start listening to Leutheuser-Schnarrenberger.
------------
------------
My LPs
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Thanas wrote:Yeah, I expect the courts to slap them down hard. Apparently it was our good old authoritarian friends in Bavaria again...not surprising.
Keep in mind that the Bundesverfassungsgericht (Germanies supreme court) already ruled that the usage of such software is illegal. Police Trojans are legal, but only to monitor phonecall-like communication made with the computer - monitoring the content of the computer or taking control of it's webcam is not allowed.
Whoever is responsible for this will probably argue that it is very hard to make a trojan that can only do a few things (which is true), and that the police never used any of the illegal functions (highly doubtful).
If you wanted to be cruel you could say that Bavaria is the Texas of Germany, a huge, highly religious state filled with people that aren't quite sure if they're part of the rest of the country or not.
I live in Bavaria. That statement is quite accurate, at least in relative terms - its probably not as bad as Texas itself, but it is unto Germany what Texas is compared to the East or West Coast of the USA. Luckily i live in Munich, which is far more liberal than the rest of the state.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Serafina wrote:
Thanas wrote:Yeah, I expect the courts to slap them down hard. Apparently it was our good old authoritarian friends in Bavaria again...not surprising.
Keep in mind that the Bundesverfassungsgericht (Germanies supreme court) already ruled that the usage of such software is illegal.
I know. :wink:

What I meant was regarding the cases in which they used them.
------------
------------
My LPs
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

Serafina wrote:
Keep in mind that the Bundesverfassungsgericht (Germanies supreme court) already ruled that the usage of such software is illegal. Police Trojans are legal, but only to monitor phonecall-like communication made with the computer - monitoring the content of the computer or taking control of it's webcam is not allowed.
Whoever is responsible for this will probably argue that it is very hard to make a trojan that can only do a few things (which is true), and that the police never used any of the illegal functions (highly doubtful).
To be precise, installing spyware on a suspect's computer is permissable only if legal and technical protections are in place that make it impossible to do anything but monitoring telecommunication. Even if they never used the other functions, using the software itself is illegal.

Dahak
Emperor's Hand

Post by Dahak »

Thanas wrote:Bavaria is known for being something of an aberration - they are the most conservative/authoritarian state out there.
I really don't see them as an aberration. Looking at the CDU in Hessen, Baden-Württemberg or Saxonia, they are maybe first among equals when it comes down to being conservative but not unique (even if they like to project that image of uniqueness in Bavaria).
Great Dolphin Conspiracy - Chatter box
"Implications: we have been intercepted deliberately by a means unknown, for a purpose unknown, and transferred to a place unknown by a form of intelligence unknown. Apart from the unknown, everything is obvious." ZORAC
GALE Force Euro Wimp
Human dignity shall be inviolable. To respect and protect it shall be the duty of all state authority.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Hessen is full of religious nuts. I don't have statistics right now, but there's lots of them on the streets with placards like "Repent, the end is nigh!" Which is itself rather surprising. I never thought I'd run into that style of shit in Germany of all places, that is something more fitting for Bumfuck Nowhere in America.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Stas Bush wrote:Hessen is full of religious nuts. I don't have statistics right now, but there's lots of them on the streets with placards like "Repent, the end is nigh!" Which is itself rather surprising. I never thought I'd run into that style of shit in Germany of all places, that is something more fitting for Bumfuck Nowhere in America.
These are everywhere in Germany. Don't read anything into them, they are a very small minority elsewhere as well.
------------
------------
My LPs
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Thanas wrote:These are everywhere in Germany. Don't read anything into them, they are a very small minority elsewhere as well.
Haven't seen them like 7 years ago. Maybe I wasn't paying attention, though.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Stas Bush wrote:
Thanas wrote:These are everywhere in Germany. Don't read anything into them, they are a very small minority elsewhere as well.
Haven't seen them like 7 years ago. Maybe I wasn't paying attention, though.
They mostly congegrate in highly public places, like train stations, town halls etc. You'll run into them nearly at all times.
------------
------------
My LPs
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

@mikko Mikko Hypponen
Rising - an antivirus product from The People's Republic of China - does not block the "R2D2" Governmental trojan. Funny that. #0zapftis
You can't make this up. :lol:

Number Theoretic
Padawan Learner

Post by Number Theoretic »

I'm currently abroad till the end of the year, so i'm not really up to date. Is there a Linux- or a Mac version of the trojan too?
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

Apparently not. Not that surprising, if you consider that several LKAs have had trouble with non-NTFS drives in the past.

salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Thanas wrote:
Stas Bush wrote:Hessen is full of religious nuts. I don't have statistics right now, but there's lots of them on the streets with placards like "Repent, the end is nigh!" Which is itself rather surprising. I never thought I'd run into that style of shit in Germany of all places, that is something more fitting for Bumfuck Nowhere in America.
These are everywhere in Germany. Don't read anything into them, they are a very small minority elsewhere as well.
:wtf:

I haven´t seen nuts like that for ages.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Really? I saw them in Cologne and Essen just last week.
------------
------------
My LPs
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

I read today that Microsoft is checking if they can drag the company that made the federal trojan to court for creating malicious software with Microsoft products.
Number Theoretic
Padawan Learner

Post by Number Theoretic »

Skgoa wrote:Apparently not. Not that surprising, if you consider that several LKAs have had trouble with non-NTFS drives in the past.
Linux for work, Windows for Solitaire it is then! And if the makers of that trojan get sued by Microsoft, somehow it would totally make my day :mrgreen:
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

There is a new development: even though customs has admited to using the spyware, the bavarian LKA has now anounced it wasn't installed by customs in that specific case. That begs the question how the trojan got onto the computer, of course.

Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

I see religious nutters frequently when crossing the Zeil here in Frankfurt. Funnily enough, a good number of them are american imports.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
someone_else
Jedi Knight

Post by someone_else »

Number Theoretic wrote:
Skgoa wrote:Apparently not. Not that surprising, if you consider that several LKAs have had trouble with non-NTFS drives in the past.
Linux for work, Windows for Solitaire it is then! And if the makers of that trojan get sued by Microsoft, somehow it would totally make my day :mrgreen:
n00b. :mrgreen:
Linux puppy lighthouse on usb drive (and bootpup on a cd in case the BIOS begs to differ), with WinXp running as virtual machine into VirtualBox.
around 512 mb max ram for puppy, all the rest for Windows.

Do they suck balls in trying to find out anything about people with slight-moderate l33t skill? Seems so.
I'm nobody. Nobody at all. But the secrets of the universe don't mind. They reveal themselves to nobodies who care.
--
Stereotypical spacecraft are pressurized.
Less realistic spacecraft are pressurized to hold breathing atmosphere.
Realistic spacecraft are pressurized because they are flying propellant tanks. -Isaac Kuo

--
Good art has function as well as form. I hesitate to spend more than $50 on decorations of any kind unless they can be used to pummel an intruder into submission. -Sriad