New GOP Tactic: Encourage revolution via billboard.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

New GOP Tactic: Encourage revolution via billboard.

Post by SirNitram »

Lafayette County Republicans blog

I'm not quoting their feel-good release. But frankly, this thing should be considered as under incesting insurrection and revolt. But it won't. BEcause they're GOP.

EDIT: DUe to problems with the link, I provide the text:
A Citizen's Guide For Revolution Of A Corrupt Government.

1. Starve The Beast, Keep Your Money.
2. Vote Incumbunts Out Of Office.
3. If Steps 1 and 2 fail?

PREPARE FOR WAR - LIVE FREE OR DIE.
The most prominent to my eye is the last, red background and white letters.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Re: New GOP Tactic: Encourage revolution via billboard.

Post by General Zod »

For all the Republican talk of "suck it up and deal with it" while they were in power they certainly don't seem inclined to follow their own advice. Not that I can really say I'm surprised.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Rahvin
Jedi Knight

Post by Rahvin »

And in the same breath, these cretins assert their patriotism.

I always thought that idolizing the Confederacy while claiming to be an American ptriot rquired massive cognitive dissonance. Clearly the same phenomenon is not limited to historical treason, but rather allows modern America haters to simultaneously support eh violent overthrow of the American government while still claiming to support and love America.

And somehow we're the ones who are supposed to hate America.
"You were doing OK until you started to think."
-ICANT, creationist from evcforum.net
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

I wonder if the RNC actually even cares anymore?
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
The Guid
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Guid »

Ha! I can't believe you guys fell for what is obviously just some Onion article. I mean, there's no way anyone in America is that crazy, and puts in on a billboard.

Right?
Self declared winner of The Posedown Thread
EBC - "What? What?" "Tally Ho!" Division
I wrote this:The British Avengers fanfiction

"Yeah, funny how that works - you giving hungry people food they vote for you. You give homeless people shelter they vote for you. You give the unemployed a job they vote for you.

Maybe if the conservative ideology put a roof overhead, food on the table, and employed the downtrodden the poor folk would be all for it, too". - Broomstick
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

I find it both amusing and worrying. On the one hand if they do revolt the damned idiots don't seem to realize that they're up against a mechanized Army equipped with vehicles that can resist 12.7mm fire in many cases and they don't have the countless decades of insurgent fighting that 'them damn dirty moozlims' have, on the other I would hate to see fellow Americans' blood shed by Americans.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

General Schatten wrote:I find it both amusing and worrying. On the one hand if they do revolt the damned idiots don't seem to realize that they're up against a mechanized Army equipped with vehicles that can resist 12.7mm fire in many cases and they don't have the countless decades of insurgent fighting that 'them damn dirty moozlims' have, on the other I would hate to see fellow Americans' blood shed by Americans.
They also have several things going for them, among other things a culture encouraging basic gun training, modern infrastructure and technology that is trivial to procure, and free education. Biding their time while building up for an insurgency, they could be a credible threat... if only the prospect of it actually happening across the board was itself plausible.

Fortunately, talk and scattered rallies is one thing, concerted military action another, and the crazier of the neoCons and fundies aren't exactly even-tempered to begin with. Not to mention the scant proof of there being broad support for actual revolution (instead of bitching about how management should totally be fired).
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

General Schatten wrote:...on the other I would hate to see fellow Americans' blood shed by Americans.
Well, if it got to that, I doubt I'd see what are, essentially, a band of neo-Confederates as "fellow Americans".

The problem is, the country was founded in rebellion, and people forgot the contexts in which that rebellion was framed. They don't get in-depth about the various problems faced in the Colonies or what led up to the Revolution, which at first was not so much about wanting to break away from Britain, but rather to be treated fairly as they felt loyal British subjects should be.

But now they only have it in their mind that "rebelling against the government = good and morally righteous" to the point that they no longer question what it is they stand for, or against. Just that if you're rebelling against the government, you must be in the right somehow.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Eleas wrote:They also have several things going for them, among other things a culture encouraging basic gun training,
Two problems: One, the largest caliber you'll probably find in any major quantity is going to be the .50 BMG, which is going to do very little against a Stryker or Bradley. Two, the majority of these idiots have very little experience with actual assault rifles, instead bolt-action which unless they decide to be ignorant and try and fight a pitched battle is going to have very limited use in an urban environment.
modern infrastructure and technology that is trivial to procure
Like what? I mean yes, you do have a lot of items that can be used for making things like IEDs, but unless it's one of the really crazy survivalist nuts, they aren't going to have knowledge of making explosives.
and free education.
Again, the education American's recieve is for making them effective members of society, very few turn out to be gunsmiths or chemists of any type.
Biding their time while building up for an insurgency, they could be a credible threat... if only the prospect of it actually happening across the board was itself plausible.
How would building up for the insurgency help? American's don't have access to unexploded 155mm and mortar shells so no real big IED's and the best you can do is stock up on bulk orders of .308 Winchester or pipe bombs.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

First, Schatten, a caveat: I'm not saying they would win. I meant "credible" as in "would be more than a nuisance"; I was perhaps not clear on that.
Two problems: One, the largest caliber you'll probably find in any major quantity is going to be the .50 BMG, which is going to do very little against a Stryker or Bradley. Two, the majority of these idiots have very little experience with actual assault rifles, instead bolt-action which unless they decide to be ignorant and try and fight a pitched battle is going to have very limited use in an urban environment.
This is where my ignorance of gun ownership comes into play. I was under the impression it was fairly simple to modify a hunting rifle like the AR-15 to make it essentially a full-grade military assault rifle; I furthermore have been inundated with youtube videos of what's colloquially known as 'gun nuts' gleefully firing semiautomatics, which probably isn't at all a representative sample. So I'll defer to you on that one if I must.
modern infrastructure and technology that is trivial to procure
Like what? I mean yes, you do have a lot of items that can be used for making things like IEDs, but unless it's one of the really crazy survivalist nuts, they aren't going to have knowledge of making explosives.
You seem to approach this from a strangely small-scale perspective. An effective insurgency or enemy force would be large, and organised, to present any sort of threat; it wouldn't be down to individuals of exceptional skill, but to the total pool of people. According to the OP, we were talking about a not-insignificant part of the country.

Given that, in response to your question, things get a little more interesting, because nearly everything that the civilian world has to offer would be possible to procure given large enough numbers of "everymen." High-grade electronics, chemicals, weaponry.
Again, the education American's recieve is for making them effective members of society, very few turn out to be gunsmiths or chemists of any type.
An insurgency does not need a surfeit of gunsmiths or chemists. What it would need is a broad range of skills and knowledge of diverse topics. Or, in other words, education.
How would building up for the insurgency help? American's don't have access to unexploded 155mm and mortar shells so no real big IED's and the best you can do is stock up on bulk orders of .308 Winchester or pipe bombs.
I'm sure Timothy McVeigh must have felt much the same way.
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Eleas wrote:This is where my ignorance of gun ownership comes into play. I was under the impression it was fairly simple to modify a hunting rifle like the AR-15 to make it essentially a full-grade military assault rifle; I furthermore have been inundated with youtube videos of what's colloquially known as 'gun nuts' gleefully firing semiautomatics, which probably isn't at all a representative sample.
It used to be that with some effort, a semi-auto gun could be turned into full-auto, but no longer. They are now made in such a way that it would take a great deal of highly specialized gunsmithing and machine work to do it, to the point where it'd be easier and cheaper to go out and steal a real one. Because even if they could get the trigger assembly to fire full-auto, it'd be stuck forever on full-auto, and within a few hundred rounds the barrel would be ruined. To the point where it is unsafe to fire, in fact, and more dangerous to the user than a target.

Beware what you see on YouTube; and remember that "semi" auto means one-shot-at-a-time; and "full" auto means rat-a-tat-tat, like a machinegun. It is possible to squeeze the trigger of a semi-auto very quickly so it might appear to be full-auto, but you will not be very accurate if you do that because each squeeze of the trigger, at that speed, is going to affect aim.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

First, thank you for the clarification.
Coyote wrote:Beware what you see on YouTube; and remember that "semi" auto means one-shot-at-a-time; and "full" auto means rat-a-tat-tat, like a machinegun. It is possible to squeeze the trigger of a semi-auto very quickly so it might appear to be full-auto, but you will not be very accurate if you do that because each squeeze of the trigger, at that speed, is going to affect aim.
I had suspected it, hence my caveat. "Look at this awesome thing I did once" seems part and parcel on YouTube, so I didn't really think it would be representative of how things are done. And yes, I don't doubt a lack of burst capability would be a drawback when it comes to room clearing.
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Eleas wrote:You seem to approach this from a strangely small-scale perspective. An effective insurgency or enemy force would be large, and organised, to present any sort of threat; it wouldn't be down to individuals of exceptional skill, but to the total pool of people. According to the OP, we were talking about a not-insignificant part of the country.
And I'm saying that an effective insurgency isn't possible in the United States, the first people to openly revolt are going to be your survivalist gun nuts who do know how to make IEDs and they'll be the first ones killed, effectively limiting the skill sets available to be trained to homegrown insurgents. This is not like the Middle East where people have had decades to dig in, rally support, and research the methods they use.
Given that, in response to your question, things get a little more interesting, because nearly everything that the civilian world has to offer would be possible to procure given large enough numbers of "everymen." High-grade electronics, chemicals, weaponry.
Again, what are you going to use them for? The first people to open fire are going to be the people who've made it their business to know how to revolt.
An insurgency does not need a surfeit of gunsmiths or chemists. What it would need is a broad range of skills and knowledge of diverse topics. Or, in other words, education.
To make what? All the
I'm sure Timothy McVeigh must have felt much the same way.
And that has what to do with the scenario? Granted he did a lot of damage to a federal building and killed over one-hundred fifty people, but a SVBIED is not an effective weapon against an armored vehicle with a 25mm autocannon firing M791 rounds. Unless of course your target is being idiotically unattentive to not notice a fucking box truck barreling at them and refusing to stop to be checked. :roll:
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

SirNitram wrote:Lafayette County Republicans blog

I'm not quoting their feel-good release. But frankly, this thing should be considered as under incesting insurrection and revolt. But it won't. BEcause they're GOP.
I believe you mean "inciting." I'll leave off the obvious jokes about West Virginia to save myself from the wrath of your lady wife. :mrgreen:

In any case, as insane as this is, a billboard isn't going to be an effective incitement to rebellion; anyone who reads that and thinks it's a good idea probably thought it was a good idea anyway.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

Aren't there a bunch of quotes made by neocons during the Bush administration that went something along the lines of, "You have to follow the president and respect his decisions even if you disagree with him, because he's the goddamn president."? Even though they'll quickly rationalize their sudden changed opinion when you bring it up, I'm sure slamming them repeatedly with those quotes at every mention of insurrection would help greatly with convincing the mindless middle.
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

hey, we used to have archery on the football field, with the targets lined up against the goal post, that was until 4 people missed their targets and hit the principal's BMW with aluminum arrows. such a shot can happen on purpose, or by mistake. really it was a fluke, and mine ricocheting off the goal post and falling down through his rag top to come to rest in the center of the driver's seat was purely my shitty skill and perverse luck. most of those ytube videos are either faked, or the result of the fates having fun with a redneck.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

Coyote wrote:
Eleas wrote:This is where my ignorance of gun ownership comes into play. I was under the impression it was fairly simple to modify a hunting rifle like the AR-15 to make it essentially a full-grade military assault rifle; I furthermore have been inundated with youtube videos of what's colloquially known as 'gun nuts' gleefully firing semiautomatics, which probably isn't at all a representative sample.
It used to be that with some effort, a semi-auto gun could be turned into full-auto, but no longer. They are now made in such a way that it would take a great deal of highly specialized gunsmithing and machine work to do it, to the point where it'd be easier and cheaper to go out and steal a real one. Because even if they could get the trigger assembly to fire full-auto, it'd be stuck forever on full-auto, and within a few hundred rounds the barrel would be ruined. To the point where it is unsafe to fire, in fact, and more dangerous to the user than a target.
When did this happen though? My understanding of guns is that guns last a long ass time with proper maintenance, so there maybe a good chunk of guns that can be easily converted.
Razorgeist
Youngling

Post by Razorgeist »

A conservative guy I work with will frequently joke with me by saying "So when the revolution happens will I find you banging on my door". Now the revolution he's refering to is the one that will happen when Obama turns us into a socialist hellhole and gives all the money to the minorities and they decide to eradicate all us hard working white people. Needless to say I dont think he gets the irony that its his side who are calling for revolution and violence.
"You have to believe in God before you can say there are things that man was not meant to know.
I don't think there's anything man wasn't meant to know. There are just some stupid things that people shouldn't do." - David Cronenberg

"Doesn't Rush Limbaugh remind you of one of those gay guys that like to lie in a tub while other guys pee on him?" - Bill Hicks
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

I am somewhat impressed and slightly suprised that most of the comments on the blog page linked above seem to be denouncing the billboard.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

...meh, Schatten, I'm going to have to concede. The scenario I toyed with is a bit too outlandish for me to seriously argue it against someone who actually lives over there.
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

General Schatten wrote:How would building up for the insurgency help? American's don't have access to unexploded 155mm and mortar shells so no real big IED's and the best you can do is stock up on bulk orders of .308 Winchester or pipe bombs.
An IED means Improvised Explosive Device, yeah? I assume they have a gas station nearby and a reasonably well stocked kitchen. It isn't THAT hard to make a fairly potent explosive and improvise a device. Gelignite, for instance, is fairly easy to make and once you actually make it, stable to use for devices*.

(*the process of making it is somewhat more hazard prone, but that relates to the nature of explosive. Explosive power, cheap to make, easy to make, safe to make. Pick three or more likely two when it comes to an explosive.)
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

One problem is that some of the right wing political fringe are in our military; their loyalty in an environment where right wing fringers are rising up and launching terrorist attacks against government facilities might get a little wobbly. MIGHT, I said; I am not qualified to assess the question precisely.

As for whether an uprising would last and have effect, a lot depends on details. Are we looking at 0.1%, 1% or 10% of the situation? Which fraction of the population revolts- Christian fundies, radical pseudo-libertarian minarchists, the intersection of the two? Would they be targeting government office buildings? Military bases? Random people in the streets who happen to be in a group they dislike? Do the survivalists join in or sit it out? How effectively does the government react to open rebellion- does it treat things as a serious threat, or does it sort of sit back and hum for fear of antagonizing a potential voting bloc?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Gil Hamilton wrote:
General Schatten wrote:How would building up for the insurgency help? American's don't have access to unexploded 155mm and mortar shells so no real big IED's and the best you can do is stock up on bulk orders of .308 Winchester or pipe bombs.
An IED means Improvised Explosive Device, yeah? I assume they have a gas station nearby and a reasonably well stocked kitchen. It isn't THAT hard to make a fairly potent explosive and improvise a device. Gelignite, for instance, is fairly easy to make and once you actually make it, stable to use for devices*.

(*the process of making it is somewhat more hazard prone, but that relates to the nature of explosive. Explosive power, cheap to make, easy to make, safe to make. Pick three or more likely two when it comes to an explosive.)
The problem with IEDs and EFPs is not from the concussive blast. Sure if you pack a big enough bomb together the concussive blast will do the job. No the real kicker has been that those 155 shells and the like have been shrapnel producing machines. The most effective ones tend to pack ball bearings on top of 2 or 3 shells which turn in to a cloud of lethal fragments well past concussive damage range. Its how we lost 3 guys in my platoon and almost lost all of 1st Platoon but for the grace of shitty detonator cord.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

CmdrWilkens wrote:The problem with IEDs and EFPs is not from the concussive blast. Sure if you pack a big enough bomb together the concussive blast will do the job. No the real kicker has been that those 155 shells and the like have been shrapnel producing machines. The most effective ones tend to pack ball bearings on top of 2 or 3 shells which turn in to a cloud of lethal fragments well past concussive damage range. Its how we lost 3 guys in my platoon and almost lost all of 1st Platoon but for the grace of shitty detonator cord.
That comes with the design of your explosive. You can pack an explosive nails or ball bearings to do the job, adding all of, what, 5 dollars to the price of the IED? If you design your device cleverly, you can turn most of the explosive shattering potential of the blast into kinetic energy of shrapnel. I cited gelignite because its popularity amongst groups like the IRA during their founding years and can actually be made in a shockingly easy (if, uh, somewhat dangerous if you aren't careful*) synthesis, and that's GREAT at transmitting energy (that is, until they found a source of semtex from the Libyans).

*My understanding of the synthesis is sufficient that I can pick out no less than three steps where if you drop the ball, your work bench explodes.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Pulp Hero
Jedi Master

Post by Pulp Hero »

Please stop discussing the construction of IEDS. Yes, I know there are lots of sources on the interwebs and a fundie more likely than not isn't going to look here. But all the same, please stop.
I can never love you because I'm just thirty squirrels in a mansuit."

"Ah, good ol' Popeye. Punching ghosts until they explode."[/b]-Internet Webguy

"It was cut because an Army Ordnance panel determined that a weapon that kills an enemy soldier 10 times before he hits the ground was a waste of resources, so they scaled it back to only kill him 3 times."-Anon, on the cancellation of the Army's multi-kill vehicle.