"Anti-Homeless Studs" in a London Doorway

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

"Anti-Homeless Studs" in a London Doorway

Post by Zaune »

Pictures taken by a Twitter user called "Ethical Pioneer"

The Guardian
Metal studs have been installed outside a block of flats in central London to deter rough sleepers.

The installation of the studs outside the flats on Southwark Bridge Road provoked widespread condemnation on Twitter with users claiming homeless people were being treated like vermin because similar metal spikes are used to deter pigeons.

Residents told the Telegraph that the studs were installed outside the flats in the last month to prevent homeless people from sleeping in the doorway.

A woman who lives in the block told the newspaper: "There was a homeless man asleep there about six weeks ago. Then about two weeks ago all of a sudden studs were put up outside. I presume it is to deter homeless people from sleeping there."

A couple, who also asked to remain anonymous, added: "It's because of the homeless. The spikes have only been there very recently, less than a month."

Andrew Horton, 33, of Woking, Surrey, took the picture of the inch-long studs in as he walked to work on Wednesday. The photograph has since been widely shared on Twitter, provoking outrage.

Other Twitter users also posted a photograph of similar studs outside a Tesco in Regent Street.

David Wells said on Twitter: "These anti-homeless studs are like the spikes they use to keep pigeons off buildings. The destitute now considered vermin [sic].

Homelessness charities said metal studs had been used to deter rough sleepers for more than a decade.

Katharine Sacks-Jones, head of policy and campaigns at Crisis, said: "This is happening in a context where rough sleeping has gone up massively. Over the last three years rough sleeping has risen by 36% nationally and by 75% in London. More than 6,400 people slept rough in London last year."

"The reason for that increase is the continuing economic downturn, the housing shortage, and cuts to benefits, particularly housing benefit."
Now, in fairness I should point out that there's been no official confirmation of what the studs are actually for, so there might be an innocent explanation. I'm struggling to think what that innocent explanation might be, however.

But if it is true, what kind of moustache-twirling parody of a dystopian cyberpunk antagonist thought this was a reasonable course of action?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: "Anti-Homeless Studs" in a London Doorway

Post by Thanas »

This is pretty stupid nonetheless - which idiot intentionally puts a safety risk near the doorway? It's all fun and games until the first rich asshole slips on ice and has his face meet the studs. Or, god forbid, some child falls on them.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Even if you want to deter the homeless... What monumental idiot decides to put down metal studs that scream 'I'm a rich asshole! Give me all your negative PR!' instead of something innoccuous enough to be plausibly deniable like a concrete flowerbed?
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Siege wrote:Even if you want to deter the homeless... What monumental idiot decides to put down metal studs that scream 'I'm a rich asshole! Give me all your negative PR!' instead of something innoccuous enough to be plausibly deniable like a concrete flowerbed?
Maybe they figured the homeless would just urinate into the flowerbed before ripping the flowers out and sleeping in the dirt?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Just throwing this out there without much consideration, but what about a low-key audial warning followed by a light spray of diffused water every 90-300 seconds, like in the produce aisle at the grocery store? Won't actually injure anybody (unless it's like -30F out maybe), but nobody will want to sleep there...

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

Cause that would be clever and would cause kids to play in the doorway during winter when the "snow machine" sprays. Can't put in something that could potentially be fun.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

The owners of the building do have a legitimate basis for not wanting people to sleep where they might obstruct the door, but they really should have done this in a classier manner. Something like anti-slip grating would presumably serve the same purpose, as well as making the doorway safer instead of being flanked by cringe-inducing spikes.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

"Let me just get that door for you"
"Aghh, my foot, I'm suing!"

So what, another month, two tops?
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

InsaneTD wrote:Cause that would be clever and would cause kids to play in the doorway during winter when the "snow machine" sprays. Can't put in something that could potentially be fun.
I don't know, I'd readily presume that a few grubby kids joyously stomping around in the vestibule would be far less of a PR failure than a homeless person or two that have to be stepped over in order to do business, to most of the disposable-income-havin' public, and the two are somewhat mutually-exclusive.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Raw Shark wrote:I don't know, I'd readily presume that a few grubby kids joyously stomping around in the vestibule would be far less of a PR failure than a homeless person or two that have to be stepped over in order to do business, to most of the disposable-income-havin' public, and the two are somewhat mutually-exclusive.
You'd be surprised. Local residents would probably call the police and demand the kids be given ASBOs or something.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

I had a brief moment of madness where they may have been used to keep a secure bin from tipping over. Very briefly.

Maybe they need some of those 'Mosquito' high pitched things which train stations have - gets rid of teenagers and cats effectively.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Zaune wrote:But if it is true, what kind of moustache-twirling parody of a dystopian cyberpunk antagonist thought this was a reasonable course of action?
You know I was just thinking 'neat idea, although would need appropriate legal cover' then I scrolled down to your comment...
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

You would.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I guess it's a rather mean way mechanical way to prevent homeless people resting there.

I am actually wondering other mechanical alternatives that would be less mean. A partial pipe going across (except where the door would open) would make lying down there uncomfortable. Maybe make a sort of pseudo-table or basket. The excuse then could be either a general-use table or a basket for collecting advert-papers in.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Or you could just, you know, let some poor bastard hole up in there out of the worst of the weather unless they're actively making a nuisance of themselves by shooting up or hassling people for change or something.

I know it's too much to hope for that some local resident might see a homeless person in that scenario and offer some small gesture of kindness like Googling directions to a shelter for them or maybe offering a cup of tea, but surely there's no call to be outright kicking them when they're down, you know?

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Zaune wrote:Or you could just, you know, let some poor bastard hole up in there out of the worst of the weather unless they're actively making a nuisance of themselves by shooting up or hassling people for change or something.
Well yeah, but that would require a modicum of human decency. Anyone who actually approved the spike thing clearly lacks enough to even consider a more humane option.

If they're going for 'area denial' in a way that avoids liability and kids having 'fun' on it, the most straightforward thing that comes to my mind is simply bricking in a sloping extra wall section - something that went up four feet and slopes on a 45-degree angle just looks like another part of the wall but is impossible to sleep or even comfortably recline on.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Zaune wrote:Or you could just, you know, let some poor bastard hole up in there out of the worst of the weather unless they're actively making a nuisance of themselves by shooting up or hassling people for change or something.

I know it's too much to hope for that some local resident might see a homeless person in that scenario and offer some small gesture of kindness like Googling directions to a shelter for them or maybe offering a cup of tea, but surely there's no call to be outright kicking them when they're down, you know?
It's a legitimate safety concern. I dunno about you, but if I were a 20 something year old woman I'd be really uncomfortable about a homeless guy sleeping right in front of my building's doorway. They could probably handle it better without using spikes, but saying there's no problem is a bit naive.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

So there's an automatic correlation between being homeless and being a potential rapist, is there?

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean to snap. But stereotypes about the homeless are a bit of a sore subject for me.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Zaune wrote:So there's an automatic correlation between being homeless and being a potential rapist, is there?

EDIT: Sorry, didn't mean to snap. But stereotypes about the homeless are a bit of a sore subject for me.
So you're saying it's not a legitimate concern to be nervous about some stranger sleeping in your building's doorway? Maybe he's not a rapist; maybe he's casing out the building to see who comes and goes so he can rob the place blind. Maybe he's pushing drugs. Maybe he's coming off a high and couldn't find his way to his own house. Maybe he's legitimately just hard up, but I can't imagine too many people willing to actually take that kind of a risk.

What about the apartment building owners? As soon as someone gets hurt by one of these homeless guys shit's going to hit the fan and guess who's going to be held responsible?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

Only noteworthy because of the idiot decision to put in nails. There must be a thousand way to make it impossible to sleep there other than this pigeon-scare.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Not if I am a landlord that wants to prevent homeless people potentially blocking doors and traffic. As an individual I may be inclined to give them a brake, but as a landlord it is my responsibility to keep everything in order. This includes getting rid of strangers that have no business being on the premises.
Of course not, but this isn't so much about kicking them down more but to make it clear where they shouldn't be or aren't welcome.

As unnecessarily mean as the spikes are, it is still better than constantly having to get a homeless person out through force.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

If they really want to keep homeless people out of there, I don't see why they can't put a small planter or something there. From a purely aesthetic standpoint, those spikes are ugly as shit...some potted plants would look much nicer. From a moral standpoint, homeless are being treated as vermin which is only making their problems worse. From a legal standpoint...a 1" spike would put a kid's eye out very easily.

All in all, bad idea.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
streetad
Padawan Learner

Post by streetad »

I'm not sure I see the moral difference between this and other methods of making people not want to stick around such as the 'mosquito machines'.

The metal spikes carry more risk of a painful accident, certainly...
ThatOneCatC
Redshirt

Post by ThatOneCatC »

These spikes have got to be the most dangerous method of keeping a person from holing up in a doorway I have ever seen. I know a number of businesses in the neighborhood I work and socialize in have taken similar if less extreme measures to prevent the same problem. Cement knobs spaced on benches and (in our offices case) in the areas they like to sleep have definitely encouraged people to relocate themselves. The street I work and play on has seen an increase over the past few years of aggressive and dangerous vagrants and these measures were needed to help curb the issue. In walking distance of two shelters and a YMCA, not having available shelter is not as much an issue. The issue is that the individuals who were sleeping there were not allowed in to shelters due to violent tendencies. To that end I can certainly empathize with the business owners. In this case the method is dangerously extreme.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I wonder if putting those spikes up is even legal. Is that a public street the entrance leads to?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs