US Think Tank Slams Germany's NATO Role

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Re: US Think Tank Slams Germany's NATO Role

Post by Surlethe »

Bah, fine print. Insofar as the index of perception of corruption reflects the willingness of people to invest, it's a useful tool by itself, however. It's interesting to see how this breaks down by language.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Saxtonite
Padawan Learner

Post by Saxtonite »

Surlethe wrote:How closely associated is it with the stereotype that Germans are all sticklers for following rules?
Dont think it has any association. An uncle of mine noticed that when he was deployed in Germany, i.e. how everyone was in lines etc
The Duchess of Zeon wrote: The dogged insistence of a particular group of people that Germans were inherently evil and that their civilization was fundamentally flawed, even before WW1, and oriented toward aggression, and somehow different from the rest of Europe in the 19th century... All of which are demonstratably false, and yet nonetheless held as absolute tenets; were the primary reasons me and several other people ceased to associate with that group. There is a school in the US and Britain which holds that there is, more or less, something in German culture which makes them uniquely violent and dangerous to world peace.

I don't think it's a direct association. I think it's a legacy in certain British and Americans from WW1 and WW2 propaganda..... because the Anglo-American exceptionalism of the ideology and demonization of alternative expressions of western culture was nauseating and infuriating.
the hilarious thing was in that time period it was popular to say germanics were superior to slavs etc etc etc, even in Britain and there were remains of that sentiment in the UK and Canada in 1920s/30s.....and the second world war removed ANY remaining idea of that sentiment given how Nazi Germany took that logic to the extreme.
"Opps, wanted to add; wasn't there a study about how really smart people lead shitty lives socially? I vaguely remember something about it, so correct me if I'm wrong. Frankly, I'm of the opinion that I'd rather let the new Newton or new Tesla lead a better life than have him have a shitty one and come up with apple powered death rays."
-Knife, in here
ChaserGrey
Jedi Knight

Post by ChaserGrey »

Surlethe wrote: I wish that map broke the US down state-by-state. And if it counts the entire US as "moderately non-corrupt" ... well, wow./quote]

I'd argue that we are, at least relative to the entire world. Not so much because we're not corrupt as that a lot of places are worse.
PeZook wrote:It has to be noted that this map portrays the index of PERCEPTION of corruption, so it's not all THAT accurate. Just the best you can do, since measuring actual corruption is extremely difficult by definition. So two countries which are in reality moderately corrupt can have different perceptions of it by the populace.
Man, I would love to do that survey. I probably wouldn't get any useful data, and might get my legs broken doing it, but it would be a blast. :D
Lt. Brown, Mr. Grey, and Comrade Syeriy on Let's Play BARIS