Twelve dead in Berlin terrorist attack

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Twelve dead in Berlin terrorist attack

Post by Simon_Jester »

Kojiro wrote:
Dragon Angel wrote:Yeah, I wonder why anyone who is Pakistani (ah, your racial slurs...)
Maybe it's an Australian thing because we have no objection to being called 'Aussie' which to me, but 'Paki' seems like a similar contraction of an otherwise four syllable word. To me it just seems practical, like Aussie.
Context is king.

For example, "negro" is the Spanish word for "black," so calling black people "negroes" should be acceptable, right? Wrong, at least in English, certainly in the US. Because of the history. "Negro" was the accepted 'polite' term used to refer to blacks during the segregation era, and it became offensive- a badge of that humiliating, degrading period in African-American history.

So the word doesn't just mean what it "technically" means. The meaning is defined by history and context and prior usage. By which standard "Aussie" is acceptable and "Brit" is at least not actively insulting, but "Abo" and "Paki" are insulting.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Really depends. Contemporarily... suicide attacks are kinda not-that-old. They emerged in the 80s... and became a fad after. In the Soviet-Afghan war, the Mujahadeen didn't do suicide attacks that much, I think. And that was like the greatest jihad of all time. Ever. Against the greatest enemy ever. Soviet Russia. Only the Butlerian Jihad and Leto II's jihad would surpass that.
Yeah it's been creeping since then, though WW2 saw its good share of suicide units on all sides except really the US. The Afghans used lots of openly suicidal tactics in field combat against the Soviets. They did not engage in many insider attacks or blow yourself up in the Russians faces attacks because the Russians always kept to their own bases, they didnt even try offensive operations for several years of the war, and they made their Afghan government allies kill the family of anyone who did cross them. So the Russians kept up highs security, but this also meant they did a poor job training the locals to defend their own country, and never could suppress the Mujahadeen field units because they didn't deploy enough offensive troops to do it.

And in the other pre-80s conflicts, from Black September massacrating Munich to the Battle for Algiers to all those hostage takings of airplanes that inspired all sorts of Chuck Norris movies, suicide attacks didn't figure that much.
The problem is two things. 1) is the Chuck Noriris types became real, and got very good at storming aircraft, and in some countries like Egypt nobody cared if hostages died in the process. The terrorists got dead, period.

The Second problem is the whole damn theory of terrorism as was pushed in the 1960s was proven bunk by the 1980s. It might influence some kind of civil war that had an active ground war, but it made no effect on developed stable countries. Such countries would generally pass more draconian security laws rather then yield to terror pressure. The morons of the 1960s were operating on the assumption that this would cause a public blacklash that would give them victory. That's why they didn't want to just kill people always.

Once that idea was discredited as the stupid is clearly was, the only option is to dial up the terror-pressure into something much more overtly destructive. That has also basically failed completely as a strategy, but it's what led directly to Osama Bin laden's tactic. Bin laden was smart enough to realize that a hundred one man suicide bombings meant nothing, it will no more break moral then WW2 bombing. But a single shock enough event, or a couple of them, that might do something because people are capable of irrational panic. But this also meant each attack had to be much bigger then the last.

As we've seen, that also failed. The US just fucked with the middle east way harder in reply while its domestic situation continued unchecked. Ironically precisely because 9/11 worked so well it has IMMUNIZED FREEDOM against the terror-shock of an attack on that level. Which really only leaves nukes or schemes too complex to be likely to work.

And any sane conclusion by now would be that conventional terrorism is useless. THAT is where Islamic State comes into play. Sure they have traditional terrorists, and a bunch of bonus moron squads, but their international terrorists almost seem to only exist to basically be butthurt rage against the machine and to stir up supporters. The group focus is on being what it tries to call itself, a state, and dare all to stop them.

They've been so damn successful on the ground war because they've integrated the suicide tactics into remotely coherent regular ground units. The Tamil Tigers also managed that on some scale, and proved very hard to beat because of it too. In the case of ISIL though extra things like high quality drones to scout out anti vehicle defenses in real time are making them way more effective then they ever could have been even one decade ago. Combine arms works. Terrorism just doesn't.

Europe seems to do its best to fear everything to the point of paralysis even though its past terror problem was way worse and in some respects even more irrationally driven. Thing is it doesn't actually take terrorism to make large areas of Europe completely politically incapable of any useful action on anything, so it's almost irrelevant, making inaction a strategic non victory against the euromongers. Sadly we can expect continued random attacks like this for at least several more years, as at the present rate of progress ISIL will probably still have a damn field army in 2018 and Trump may not be able to speed that up much.

Once it ceases to exist as a field army it is hard to know how many of its personal will successfully disperse and become terror-insurgents again, and how many will be left alive try to return to Europe. Most of its people are locals though.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I do get that the ideological nihilism of suicide-terrorism - which is different from pre-1980s/1990s "suicidal" attacks... because Charge of the Light Brigade, Zulu vs Redcoats suicidal stuff is different from suicide bomber-kind of suicide - was probably due to the sheer futility the insurgents and resistance groups experienced, the extent of the crackdowns they had to contend with... so from Black September we have bomb vests and guys knifing train passengers. There is no pretense of actual "operational success," for example landing a hijacked plane in Idi Amin-land or whatever.

And I do get that ISIS/ISIL/Daesh does have a strange ass "hybrid" warfare thing going on. Due to the... sheer interconnectivity of tech nowadays. So civilian-obtainable drones. Civilian-operatable super-widespread propaganda networks via social media. Plus conditions where pseudo-conventional tactics, guerilla tactics AND suicide tactics can work. In their own, none of these are new historically - unlike what some armchair folks jerk themselves off to with fancy new terms like ASSYMETRICAL blah blah blah NEXT-GEN HYBRID so and so - but the only difference is things have developed and "integration" and networking (of traditional elements) is easier than ever before. So even non-state actors can do it.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

cosmicalstorm wrote:There seems to be confusion about the attacker. God knows if I was a Paki and nearby such a scene god knows I would run for it to avoid a lynching.

If it turns out this was some mentally deranged Pole I have no problems apologizing for coming to conclusions, but this kind of attack stinks Salafascism all the way due to Nice.
Consider yourself officially on-notice for the use of a racial slur. You are fluent enough in english to know it is used as such, and you are certainly a bigoted shitbag.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

I still wonder why he was allowed to stay in the country in the first place. Even if he didn't commit mass murder, the guy already was known by the police for commiting some smaller crimes during his one year stay in Germany.
Maybe it's a cultural thing but if someone invites me in their home I don't shit in their bed and steal their TV to thank them for their hospitality.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Kojiro wrote: Maybe it's an Australian thing because we have no objection to being called 'Aussie' which to me, but 'Paki' seems like a similar contraction of an otherwise four syllable word. To me it just seems practical, like Aussie.
As an Australian, I am surprise you haven't heard that term "Paki" is a racial slur. I mean in cricket, commentators pretty much say don't use that term when we play Pakistan. Although use of this term this falls under the "connotation, not denotation" rule.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

It's totally benign in the US.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Patroklos wrote:It's totally benign in the US.
I can't think of any time I've ever seen or heard it used in the US, other than talking about how super offensive it is in the UK.

I've seen convenience stores and stuff advertising "Indo-Pak" food and stuff, but that's the closest I can remember off the top of my head.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

The suspect is now a Tunisian

http://www.news.com.au/world/europe/ger ... afb4fd3cd6
GERMAN police are searching for a Tunisian suspect in the Berlin truck attack whose immigration papers were found inside the vehicle, regional newspaper Allgemeine Zeitung reports.
The suspect is thought to be a Tunisian citizen known as Anis A., born in 1992 in the city of Tataouine, according to Speigel Online.
He is believed to be aged either 21 or 23 and is known to have three alias names.
Investigators have requested a public prosecution at the prosecutor’s office, and preparations are underway. The Federal Criminal Police Office has announced a press conference at 1pm local time.
Security sources have told news agency DPA that police are planning an “imminent” operation in the German state of North Rhine-Westphalia related to the attack.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I don't want to sound like a conspiracy nut, and I know that phenomenally stupid criminals and lucky breaks for investigators are a thing, but am I the only one who finds it rather convenient that he just happened to leave his immigration papers in the vehicle?

Edit: For that matter, if that was the case, why did it take them this long to figure it out, and why did they go after some other Afghani or Pakistani refugee who then got released for lack of evidence?

I mean, its probably unintentional, but I'll be damned if it doesn't give the impression that investigators are just latching onto random refugees from Muslim countries and trying to pin it on them.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

No, you are not. I wonder if they got some fingerprints off those immigration papers, and who they'll turn out to belong to?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

They got DNA traces.

From the guardian liveblog:

Alexander Ritzmann, director the European Foundation for Democracy and chairman of the European Commission’s Radicalisation Awareness Network, said that if the suspect left identity documents in the truck that could point to a terrorist attack.

Speaking to BBC News, he said: “It would fit into the pattern of terrorist organisations to leave behind documents. They are not supposed to hide the identities of the attackers or hide the organisation that commits the attack.”

He added: “Terrorism is an extreme form of political communication so they supposed to explain what they did, how they did it and why they did it.”

He also noted that Christmas markets have been targeted by extremists for “years”.

[...]

In the meantime, more detail has emerged about the suspect Anis A from two seemingly well-sourced pieces in Sueddeutsche and from state broadcaster Tagesschau.

He is said to have arrived in Italy in 2012, and came to Germany in July 2015, where he applied for asylum.

Since April 2016 his status has been that of Duldung or “temporary suspension of deportation”, which means his application was rejected but he hasn’t been forcefully evicted.

He was reportedly arrested by police in Friedrichshafen in August this year, and found to be carrying a fake Italian ID document. He had been registered at an asylum shelter in Emmerich on the Rhine, on the Dutch-German border.

He had contacts with the circle around the hate preacher Ahmad Abdelazziz A., also known as Abu Walaa, who was arrested in November.

[....]

He has links to Salafist groups in western Germany. He is known to police as a dangerous person and is embedded in the Islamist network.

Police say they’re carrying out extensive checks in the state of North Rhine Westphalia (NRW) where he was registered.

He is 23, was born in Tataouine in 1992 and has used at least 4 aliases in the past.

In the summer he came to police attention over a GBH offence but he went underground before they were able to arrest him.Police believe he is injured, possibly badly, and are scouring German hospitals to try and find him.

DNA traces from the driver found in the car have been secured. Anis A has addresses both in Berlin and NRW.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Well, that makes sense, I suppose, and it sounds, from that article at least, like a fairly strong case.

Still doesn't explain why it took them so long to find the documents, and why they initially went after another guy.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Still doesn't explain why it took them so long to find the documents, and why they initially went after another guy.

they might not want to immediately give away their hand....
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Well, that makes sense, I suppose, and it sounds, from that article at least, like a fairly strong case.

Still doesn't explain why it took them so long to find the documents, and why they initially went after another guy.
Apparently, according to German media reports there were a number of identity papers in the cab of the truck with different names.
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:
cosmicalstorm wrote:There seems to be confusion about the attacker. God knows if I was a Paki and nearby such a scene god knows I would run for it to avoid a lynching.

If it turns out this was some mentally deranged Pole I have no problems apologizing for coming to conclusions, but this kind of attack stinks Salafascism all the way due to Nice.
Consider yourself officially on-notice for the use of a racial slur. You are fluent enough in english to know it is used as such, and you are certainly a bigoted shitbag.
I apologize.
Did not know it was derogatory, thought it was short for Pakistani, 1 stupid point for me.
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Thanas wrote: they might not want to immediately give away their hand....
I seriously question that logic if the papers are found within 12-24 hours. That's your window for the public to actually find the damn person for you if they flee. See police stopping some of the Paris attackers, but not yet knowing to arrest them. 24 hours is enough to drive near anywhere in Europe from Berlin if you had a good plan. They were probably just not sure, all the more so if they found several IDs. The driver could have been doing some non legit stuff of his own for all we know.

Does anyone know if he really had a gun or not? I see reports the driver was shot but then others make no mention.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

mr friendly guy wrote:As an Australian, I am surprise you haven't heard that term "Paki" is a racial slur. I mean in cricket, commentators pretty much say don't use that term when we play Pakistan. Although use of this term this falls under the "connotation, not denotation" rule.
Despite being an Australian, I have little interest in sports (to my parents eternal disappointment). I've heard the term a handful of times but never associated with a negative context, that I picked up on at least. I fear it's the kind of term I could have used, if I was say posting from my phone and trying to save time, without realizing what it was.

Regarding the fingerprints/DNA... what kind of records do they establish on immigrants? Photos I'm sure but do they get fingerprints? Along the lines of TRRs 'conspiracy nut' idea, if they find DNA/fingerprints is it likely someone will push for those identifiers to be collected at point of entry? A sort of 'we would know who did this if we took certain measures...'
Dragon Clan Veritech
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Even if the German authorities don't already have this guy's prints on file, they'll be taken when he's arrested.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:I do get that the ideological nihilism of suicide-terrorism - which is different from pre-1980s/1990s "suicidal" attacks... because Charge of the Light Brigade, Zulu vs Redcoats suicidal stuff is different from suicide bomber-kind of suicide - was probably due to the sheer futility the insurgents and resistance groups experienced, the extent of the crackdowns they had to contend with... so from Black September we have bomb vests and guys knifing train passengers. There is no pretense of actual "operational success," for example landing a hijacked plane in Idi Amin-land or whatever.
Yup. No point to doing that. You need at least 3-4 terrorists to make it work, and they need serious weapons if the passengers fight back. Something to remember, at the peak of the skyjackings, their were also a shitload of amateur hour skyjackings all over the world. That made the true lethal terrorist situation much more confused then it is in hindsight. That's all gone now too because passengers fight back.

Something else though, ISIL and the Taliban expends lots of suicide assault troops on small raids. Some of these use suicide vests, some don't either way they don't intend to come back, but they aim to takeover or raid as strategic point or escort in a bomb truck that's just a random attack. Lots and lots of this, spread over a wide front, helps keep the groups enemies disorganized and rebuilding. ISIL at one point in 2014 was expending at last 40% of its foreign recruits out of hand on that kind of mission. Train them ~6 weeks, then send them out to do this, sometimes with vehicles + suicide bomb vehicles, sometimes without on foot infiltration missions. This is a lot like the classic vision of 1960s and 70s terrorism but with a much higher firepower scale.

Also it's pretty clear this is deliberately how ISIL gets rid of all the really moronic or insane people who join up or one's they don't trust to actually drive a suicide bomb. That's how you get that ViceNews video of the super inept ISIL assault team. With the flow of foreigners down they are much less able to do this, and the size and quality of the conventional + bomb units is down.

And I do get that ISIS/ISIL/Daesh does have a strange ass "hybrid" warfare thing going on. Due to the... sheer interconnectivity of tech nowadays. So civilian-obtainable drones. Civilian-operatable super-widespread propaganda networks via social media. Plus conditions where pseudo-conventional tactics, guerilla tactics AND suicide tactics can work. In their own, none of these are new historically - unlike what some armchair folks jerk themselves off to with fancy new terms like ASSYMETRICAL blah blah blah NEXT-GEN HYBRID so and so - but the only difference is things have developed and "integration" and networking (of traditional elements) is easier than ever before. So even non-state actors can do it.
The first warplanes were civilian planes first, and Asymmetrical warfare is a gun shooting a man instead of punching him!

Pretty useless term for anyone who normally thinks in combine arms terms, which is reached at the point you issue a bayonet for a rifle. Hybrid warfare also, I'm really still not clear on what that term means except MORE DEFENSE SPENDING because NEW THREAT. Seriously. I'm pretty sure Russia invading Europe with like a bunch of tanks and self propelled howitzers was also the THREAT in 1983. The 'Little Green Men' mattered because they blatantly had full equipment! The Europeans have to fear this only because trainloads of actual drunk lost Russian tourists might capture some NATO air forces while all the planes are broken.

What really just marks this war is 1) ISIL too often has far more will to fight and build functional defenses then anyone else but the Kurds and 2) the suicide bombs, large amounts of captured equipment and air adjustment of artillery fire all increased the groups relative firepower scale a lot compared compared to what we might otherwise expect. 2) can be compensated for, but number 1) remains up against the problem that Assad is his own dark age problem, the idea that one family can rule and profit with no justification other then invented tradition.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Patroklos wrote:It's totally benign in the US.
Have you asked a Pakistani about that?
Sea Skimmer wrote:Europe seems to do its best to fear everything to the point of paralysis even though its past terror problem was way worse and in some respects even more irrationally driven. Thing is it doesn't actually take terrorism to make large areas of Europe completely politically incapable of any useful action on anything, so it's almost irrelevant, making inaction a strategic non victory against the euromongers. Sadly we can expect continued random attacks like this for at least several more years, as at the present rate of progress ISIL will probably still have a damn field army in 2018 and Trump may not be able to speed that up much.
I honestly wouldn't count on him to organize a drinking party in a brewery without managing to bankrupt the place, so yeah.

Though if Trump does try to intervene in Syria, it'd explain why Putin would have wanted him elected. Because it'll mean that someone else can do the bleeding to defeat ISIL and fight a decade-long guerilla war in an attempt to suppress them while trying to prop up chronically ineffectual locals.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Kinyo
Youngling

Post by Kinyo »

Berlin attack suspect Anis Amri killed in Milan
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38415287

Posting on mobile so can't quote the text
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I was about to post the same thing.

Turns out he's a Tunisian expat, and a petty crook who got his Italian work permit revoked after being locked up for "vandalism, threats and theft"; the article doesn't go into detail but I expect some kind of relationship breakdown was involved.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

The whole thing has made the German authorities look stupid, despite making the schoolboy error of leaving incriminating paperwork inside the fucking truck the terrorist got something like a 36-hour headstart. The fact they'd arrested the wrong man to start with just compounded things.

It looks like it was the Italians who killed him when he pulled a gun during an ID check.

When I was at the nearby town market I noticed that like a lot of markets there was a more visible police presence, the local cop even wore the classic pointed helmet. As it was a small market the road was only sealed off with a couple of plastic crates, not like the large concrete blocks that bigger markets sometimes have.
Wild Zontargs
Padawan Learner

Post by Wild Zontargs »

Zaune wrote:I was about to post the same thing.

Turns out he's a Tunisian expat, and a petty crook who got his Italian work permit revoked after being locked up for "vandalism, threats and theft"; the article doesn't go into detail but I expect some kind of relationship breakdown was involved.
Try "setting fire to a refugee centre".
Anis Amri, a 24-year-old Tunisian, had eluded capture since the attack on Monday that killed 12 people and injured another 48 in the German capital.

Italian interior minister Marco Minniti said during a news conference that the man killed in the shootout was identified as Amri "without a shadow of a doubt".

He was stopped near the train station in the northern Italian city at around 3am (2am UK time) on Friday.

He pulled out a gun from his backpack "without hesitation" and started firing towards the officers, injuring one of them, Mr Minniti said.

The suspect was then shot and killed.

The injured policeman has been taken to hospital and underwent surgery, but his wounds are not life-threatening.

Mr Minniti did not release further details of the operation, citing an ongoing investigation.

Italian media reports said Amri shouted "Allahu Akbar", or "God is Great", during the firefight.

He reportedly had a train ticket from France in his pocket.

Amri was indentified by his fingerprints.

Authorities in Germany and elsewhere had been hunting for Amri, who is believed to be the driver of the truck that rammed through the crowd of shoppers at the market.

Germany was "relieved" at the reports, interior ministry spokesman Tobias Plate said.

Amri used at least six different names and three nationalities in his travels around Europe.

He went to Italy in 2011 and spent time there, including three and a half years in prison for setting fire to a refugee centre.

He arrived in Germany late last year and sought asylum, but his bid was rejected.

He was seen as a potential threat long before the attack this week - and was even kept under covert surveillance for six months this year.

But authorities failed to deport him because he lacked valid identity papers and Tunisia initially denied that he was a citizen.

Amri stayed in Berlin at least for a few hours after the attack, with footage showing him at a mosque in the German capital in the early hours of Friday.

The video, published by German public broadcaster RBB, was taken by police officers on a regular stake-out at the mosque, but Amri was not a suspect at that time.

When police raided the mosque on Friday, he was gone.

German Federal prosecutors have said that they will continue their investigation to see if Amri had an accomplices.
He's also on video pledging allegiance to ISIS.
5:15 p.m.

A video released by the Islamic State group shows the Tunisian suspect in the Berlin truck attack pledging allegiance to its leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

The video, which appeared to have been taken by Anis Amri himself, shows him standing on a footbridge in the north of Berlin, not far from where he allegedly hijacked the truck used in the attack that killed 12 people and injured dozens more at a Christmas market on Monday.

The site is just a few hundred meters (yards) from a Berlin state administration office that deals with asylum matters.

It is unclear whether Amri's case was handled there or whether the video, released online Friday, was taken before or after the attack.
Доверяй, но проверяй
"Ugh. I hate agreeing with Zontargs." -- Alyrium Denryle
"What you are is abject human trash who is very good at dodging actual rule violations while still being human trash." -- Alyrium Denryle
iustitia socialis delenda est