Southern cop pulls over Obama bus on trumped-up charges.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Re: Southern cop pulls over Obama bus on trumped-up charges.

Post by Phantasee »

Bounty wrote:
The Vortex Empire wrote:For a minute, I thought it was real. It's a testament to the stupidity of the South that something like this doesn't immediately scream BS.
It's more a statement of your gullibility and failure to spot satire. I'm getting really tired of this "well [stereotype that has become an acceptable target] therefore I was fooled" excuse that gets trotted out ever time someone posts an Onion article. It's one thing to comment on an article where, for example, a southerner actually does something stupid, and quite another to bash half a country based on folk tales and stereotypes, even if they may have a basis in reality.
This is what I was thinking. I mean, yeah, stereotypes are convenient, but there's a reason we don't like them: intellectual laziness isn't a good thing.

And I got as far as Jackbooted before I checked the poster, just to see if it was Einy. ;)

And then I looked for the source link...
XXXI
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Glocksman wrote:No politician should be above the law, but given the history of southern law enforcement, a bit of caution is in order.
Aren't you a cop? Why would you say such a mean thing about your brethren? :P
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Glocksman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Glocksman »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
Glocksman wrote:No politician should be above the law, but given the history of southern law enforcement, a bit of caution is in order.
Aren't you a cop? Why would you say such a mean thing about your brethren? :P

Actually I'm not, though there are several that post here.
Southern cops came to mind because I just finished Rick Perlstein's Nixonland and I'm now halfway through his Before the Storm, and both books make mention of southern cops' lawlessness during the civil rights era, and I guess the meme was sticking in my head.
"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."- General Sir Charles Napier

Oderint dum metuant
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Bounty wrote:
The Vortex Empire wrote:For a minute, I thought it was real. It's a testament to the stupidity of the South that something like this doesn't immediately scream BS.
It's more a statement of your gullibility and failure to spot satire. I'm getting really tired of this "well [stereotype that has become an acceptable target] therefore I was fooled" excuse that gets trotted out ever time someone posts an Onion article. It's one thing to comment on an article where, for example, a southerner actually does something stupid, and quite another to bash half a country based on folk tales and stereotypes, even if they may have a basis in reality.
Now normally I would agree with you. But I have a sneaky suspicion that you have never actually been to the american south.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

Well, I have been to the South (well, Texas) and this kind of 'Well, it's the South's fault' laziness does piss me off. There were a surprising number of Arabic and Muslim people around wherever I went, and the white people and authority figures around had the same laid-back, jovial attitude with them they seemed to have with everyone else.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Didn’t get me, because I’ve seen the Obama campaign go by a couple times just recently, and it’s not a bus.. its a convoy. Two or three buses, two secret service SUVs and eight or nine cop cars with lights blazing be they on surface streets or the highway. If a random cop tried to pull the bus over he’d probably be rammed off the road by the secret service and find himself surrounded by MP5s and M4s in five seconds.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Now normally I would agree with you. But I have a sneaky suspicion that you have never actually been to the american south.
I haven't. Does that change my point in any way? Why is it all of a sudden alright to bash a large group of people, only because "everybody knows" they're lazy, corrupt, white trash meth-heads, or whatever the stereotype is these days?

I'm sure there are police officers in the deep south who'd dream of pulling a stunt like this. I'm also sure the incident in the OP is satire, and if we've come to the point where we feel it's okay to have our Five Minutes hate over an imaginary incident, we've sunk very, very low.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Bounty wrote:
I haven't. Does that change my point in any way? Why is it all of a sudden alright to bash a large group of people, only because "everybody knows" they're lazy, corrupt, white trash meth-heads, or whatever the stereotype is these days?

I'm sure there are police officers in the deep south who'd dream of pulling a stunt like this. I'm also sure the incident in the OP is satire, and if we've come to the point where we feel it's okay to have our Five Minutes hate over an imaginary incident, we've sunk very, very low.

It actually does change your point to a degree. It isnt a matter of them "all" being like that. It is a matter of the south being a place where such people exist in statistically significant numbers. You dont need the entire police department to be full of corrupt rednecks for this kind of shit to happen. You just need one guy. But in the south, there are a couple in each police department.

I am not making shit up or engaging in hyperbole. I live here. I see it. And before I lived here, I visited it and saw it then. Racism even exists here in the stop-selection of the greyhound charter bus line.
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:Now normally I would agree with you. But I have a sneaky suspicion that you have never actually been to the american south.
I'm sorry Alyrium, normally I have a lot of respect for you because of your demonstrated intelligence in other fields, but this is one time I have to say it: You're a fucking retard. You just read his post, and did exactly what he said people shouldn't be doing.

Think about the situation. Maybe you can see it happening, I don't know. But if you think about it, you can see that it wouldn't.
XXXI
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Phantasee wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:Now normally I would agree with you. But I have a sneaky suspicion that you have never actually been to the american south.
I'm sorry Alyrium, normally I have a lot of respect for you because of your demonstrated intelligence in other fields, but this is one time I have to say it: You're a fucking retard. You just read his post, and did exactly what he said people shouldn't be doing.

Think about the situation. Maybe you can see it happening, I don't know. But if you think about it, you can see that it wouldn't.

I am engaging in a more general point. Namely that the stereotype is actually true to a degree larger than what someone who has never been here would generally think possible.

Now, cops here have a sense of self-preservation and wont harass a US senator and presidential candidate and that is transparently obvious. But the warrantless searches, calling someone uppity etc. That happens with disturbing frequency.

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Didn’t get me, because I’ve seen the Obama campaign go by a couple times just recently, and it’s not a bus.. its a convoy. Two or three buses, two secret service SUVs and eight or nine cop cars with lights blazing be they on surface streets or the highway. If a random cop tried to pull the bus over he’d probably be rammed off the road by the secret service and find himself surrounded by MP5s and M4s in five seconds.

See, I didn't realize until later because I didn't think Obama himself was on the bus--I thought it was just random campaign vehicle filled with people going around handing out flyers. In which case it sounded altogether quite plausible.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Saxtonite
Padawan Learner

Post by Saxtonite »

I read the entire article, read the first 2 responses and placed my cursor over the link he posted. it's 'the onion'
"Opps, wanted to add; wasn't there a study about how really smart people lead shitty lives socially? I vaguely remember something about it, so correct me if I'm wrong. Frankly, I'm of the opinion that I'd rather let the new Newton or new Tesla lead a better life than have him have a shitty one and come up with apple powered death rays."
-Knife, in here
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Figured it out at 'jackboot', but pros for dressing the link on the top though! :lol:
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Ender wrote:
Solauren wrote:I'm sorry, the second I saw the fact the secret service watched him walk up to the bus and crack a tail light, and not put the Sheriff FIRMLY into his place, I knew it was an Onion
That long? I got it at "jackbooted"
Yeah, that was the same spot for me...
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I actually got it in the opening. No way in HELL a Presidential campaign bus would get stopped for 4 hours. Hell, after a thought, I realized it wouldn't have stopped at all, as SS would have just flashed a badge out their window and the Sheriff would be lucky if they didn't run him off the road. :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

havokeff wrote:I actually got it in the opening. No way in HELL a Presidential campaign bus would get stopped for 4 hours. Hell, after a thought, I realized it wouldn't have stopped at all, as SS would have just flashed a badge out their window and the Sheriff would be lucky if they didn't run him off the road. :D

It didn't initially say that Obama was in the bus, Havokeff, so it was much more believable if you read "campaign bus" and thought "charter bus filled with volunteer college students going door to door" and nobody important on it.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
havokeff wrote:I actually got it in the opening. No way in HELL a Presidential campaign bus would get stopped for 4 hours. Hell, after a thought, I realized it wouldn't have stopped at all, as SS would have just flashed a badge out their window and the Sheriff would be lucky if they didn't run him off the road. :D

It didn't initially say that Obama was in the bus, Havokeff, so it was much more believable if you read "campaign bus" and thought "charter bus filled with volunteer college students going door to door" and nobody important on it.
That's exactly what I thought when I read the thread title.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
Saxtonite
Padawan Learner

Post by Saxtonite »

I can understand why some couldn't decide if this is real or not. damn. I know yes this type of stuff has been said, I've heard similar things in the past on the internet and IRL but still.

And yes this is Al-Jazeera.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRqcfqiXCX0&eurl
"Opps, wanted to add; wasn't there a study about how really smart people lead shitty lives socially? I vaguely remember something about it, so correct me if I'm wrong. Frankly, I'm of the opinion that I'd rather let the new Newton or new Tesla lead a better life than have him have a shitty one and come up with apple powered death rays."
-Knife, in here
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:

I thought...
FOXWORTH, MS—Despite obeying the posted speed limit and having all inspection, registration, and insurance documentation up to date, Sen. Barack Obama's campaign bus was stopped for nearly four hours by Marion County deputy sheriff Dewey Clutter while en route to a Jackson, MS speech, sources reported Tuesday.
... made it pretty clear that it was his actual bus. Otherwise it would have read "A bus campagning for Sen. Barack Obama" or something like that. But that is just me.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Never heard the term "jackbooted"....

The smashing of tail lights is what made me finally go "Okay, that's bullshit." and check the link. There are cops who would try and pull this stunt if they thought they could get away with it, but I really can't see any cop being stupid enough to bust out a tail light when there's a busfull of witnesses. It really did start out realistically written, but then it went straight off into satire land, like every Onion article ends up doing.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

You know, instead of commenting about when who got fooled, it would be way more interesting to show it to some conversative audience and see their reaction.

Way more informative, too.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Teebs
Jedi Master

Post by Teebs »

PeZook wrote:You know, instead of commenting about when who got fooled, it would be way more interesting to show it to some conversative audience and see their reaction.

Way more informative, too.
It would probably be used as another example of dirty liberals making up stories to discredit their honourable opponents.
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

It had me going until I hit "jackbooted"; I didn't check the source 'til I'd finished reading, but I could tell something was fishy from there on out.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Man, I love threads like this. Really lets me know who the assholes are on this board...

Yes, the entire south is full of bigoted, redneck morons that fuck their cousins and oppress minorities because it used to be like that 40 years or more ago. Also, if you couldn't tell in the first sentence that this wasn't an actual news item, then you're probably every bit as retarded as you think most Southerners are. In closing, y'all can go on ahead and kiss my fuzzy redneck ass.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Mr. Coffee wrote:Man, I love threads like this. Really lets me know who the assholes are on this board...

Yes, the entire south is full of bigoted, redneck morons that fuck their cousins and oppress minorities because it used to be like that 40 years or more ago. Also, if you couldn't tell in the first sentence that this wasn't an actual news item, then you're probably every bit as retarded as you think most Southerners are. In closing, y'all can go on ahead and kiss my fuzzy redneck ass.
Yes, because the existence (or even majority) of non-idiotic Southerners completely precludes the possibility of assholes existing.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.