SUPERTHREAD: 2020 United States Elections

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Re: SUPERTHREAD: 2020 United States Elections

Post by Raw Shark »

MKSheppard wrote: 2020-11-02 05:37pmLet's.... ban the most popular firearm in America;
Why not? Because it's popular?
MKSheppard wrote: 2020-11-02 05:37pmand not only that, "high capacity magazines". :wtf:
If you need a high capacity magazine to go hunting anything that stands on four legs, you are a lousy shot and shouldn't have a gun.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Raw Shark wrote: 2020-11-03 11:16am
MKSheppard wrote: 2020-11-02 05:37pmLet's.... ban the most popular firearm in America;
Why not? Because it's popular?
MKSheppard wrote: 2020-11-02 05:37pmand not only that, "high capacity magazines". :wtf:
If you need a high capacity magazine to go hunting anything that stands on four legs, you are a lousy shot and shouldn't have a gun.
You realise that most of the people that want them for 'hunting', really mean 'killing people I don't like', right? :mrgreen:
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Solauren wrote: 2020-11-03 01:31pmYou realise that most of the people that want them for 'hunting', really mean 'killing people I don't like', right? :mrgreen:
Yes. Yes, I do.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

It's 530pm and I've started drinking as the polls start closing in a few hours.

This adds to the days I drink to Veteran's Day, Memorial Day, my birthday, Presidential Debates and now Election Day. This is down from my 20s were drinking involved all days that ended in "day".

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Raw Shark wrote: 2020-11-03 01:41pm
Solauren wrote: 2020-11-03 01:31pmYou realise that most of the people that want them for 'hunting', really mean 'killing people I don't like', right? :mrgreen:
Yes. Yes, I do.
I expect Shep does too.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Aaand the first polls are closed.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

It's not looking too good for Biden right now. If he shits the bed then it's time for a major house-cleaning at the DNC.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Trump’s closing message is a montage of him dancing to ‘YMCA’
President Donald Trump spent the last day before the election crisscrossing the Midwest, delivering a closing message bashing Lady Gaga and Beyoncé, relishing in chants to fire the nation’s top infectious disease expert, and getting worked up over Jon Bon Jovi. But as he returned to the White House, there was still time for one final message as voters went to bed before Election Day. Would it be the economy? Would it be his coronavirus response? Or perhaps the fact that he’s started no new wars? What would resonate with the electorate?

How about a video of himself dancing to the Village People’s “YMCA” at his most recent rallies?

Trump picked dancing. In his last tweet of the evening, Trump picked dancing.
Well, it's better than the fourteen words or "Hail HYDRA!", I guess...

And no, I have not watched the video. I doubt I'm missing much.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Elfdart wrote: 2020-11-03 09:48pm It's not looking too good for Biden right now. If he shits the bed then it's time for a major house-cleaning at the DNC.
That's because Mail Votes haven't come in in many places. We'll probably have to wait until November 6th to have a clear picture in some states
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The fact that Trump is still enjoying so much support despite all the mess is the concerning thing here.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Indeed. I'm hoping mail in ballots swing things in Pennsylvania Wisconsin and Michigan
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Darth Yan wrote: 2020-11-03 11:03pm Indeed. I'm hoping mail in ballots swing things in Pennsylvania Wisconsin and Michigan
The trend does not look favourable to Biden. As much as Biden have improved his vote share across various places ( see Texas), Trump is brining out even more voters as well.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

ray245 wrote: 2020-11-03 11:09pm
Darth Yan wrote: 2020-11-03 11:03pm Indeed. I'm hoping mail in ballots swing things in Pennsylvania Wisconsin and Michigan
The trend does not look favourable to Biden. As much as Biden have improved his vote share across various places ( see Texas), Trump is brining out even more voters as well.
And getting the courts to allow inexcusable voter suppression
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

There's controversey over Fox News calling Arizona for Biden, the White House is claiming they jumped the gun.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

CNN just called Ohio for Trump.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Biden winning Arizona is good news; Georgia is surprisingly competitive.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2020-11-03 11:42pm There's controversey over Fox News calling Arizona for Biden, the White House is claiming they jumped the gun.
If they are wrong, it's not the worst jumping the gun a news outlet has done with a presidential election.

Though if Fox is calling Arizona for Biden, they must be really convinced.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

How long for mail votes to be counted?
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

I think most will be done by Friday. If by some miracle Biden flips Georgia or North Carolina Trump may find his options more limited, or it might convince the courts not to try any trickery.

Wisconsin may well be decided tomorrow as with Michigan (some of the big cities, which are biden strongholds, have yet to be counted in person). If Biden wins Wisconsin and Michigan AND flips the tossup district in Maine he'll eke out a narrow victory. If he wins one of the southern states (Georgia or North Carolina) I think the Republicans might actually yield.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

In a move that literally surprises no one, Trump claimed that he won the election last night, it’s now being stolen from him due to fraud, and he is going to go to SCOTUS to have all vote counting stopped:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.maclean ... untry/amp/
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I wake up to find it's not over, it's not a blue wave and both Graham and McConnell easily won re-election. Trump easily won some states he should be closing and he increased his vote totals in Republican strongholds. Ariz., Ga., Maine, Mich., Nev., N.C., Pa., Wis. all outstanding per 538

Once again polling margin of error broke FOR Trump not against him because we can't have nice things in this country.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Elfdart wrote: 2020-11-03 09:48pm It's not looking too good for Biden right now. If he shits the bed then it's time for a major house-cleaning at the DNC.
This is what should've happened at least four years ago regardless. Y'all have let Republicans be such boogie men, y'all decided to keep feckless Democrats around who are more than happy that you re-elect them despite them doing pretty much nothing to deserve it.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

So, I didn't wake up in the timeline where Biden and the Democrats won a decisive victory overnight. This says to me that the United States faced the prospect of having to be a responsible adult, decided it couldn't be bothered, turned around, and went back into its mother's basement.

Alternatively, the United States is the "This is fine" meme dog.

I'm not sure which explanation is more damning.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote: 2020-11-04 08:10am So, I didn't wake up in the timeline where Biden and the Democrats won a decisive victory overnight. This says to me that the United States faced the prospect of having to be a responsible adult, decided it couldn't be bothered, turned around, and went back into its mother's basement.

Alternatively, the United States is the "This is fine" meme dog.

I'm not sure which explanation is more damning.
Add to those explanations that a significant portion of the American population now openly embrace fascism. They want Trump to overthrow all the nasty bits of the Constitution they don’t like in the hopes he’ll jail, deport, enslave and/or execute their hated minorities and enemies.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

The sad thing is, they don't even realize they are embracing facism.

They're embracing Trump for the same reason they embraced Regan.
"He's famous, and you can't only get that way by hard work. Therefore he's better then us. Therefore, by embracing him, I'm a better person."
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.