German Court rules religious circumcision a crime

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Re: German Court rules religious circumcision a crime

Post by Serafina »

Broomstick wrote:
Serafina wrote:german link

Well, it appears that at least one jewish hospital has stopped infant circumcision due to this ruling.
Since I can't read German you'll have to help me out with this. What, exactly, does "Jewish hospital" mean in Germany? See, in the US, "Jewish hospital of X" might mean the hospital was founded by Jews, but may no longer be owned by them, the board might be Christians or atheists, and the name a historical legacy. Or maybe it's a hospital owned and run by Jews. In Germany, is there a more specific meaning than there is in the US?

Also, the most reactionary/traditional Jews never had the cutting down at the hospital anyway, it was done by mohelim in the synagogue. While some mohelim have had medical training there's no guarantee of it.
The hospital in question is the Jewish Hospital of Berlin. Founded in the middle of the 18th by and for the jewish community. Acquired a very good reputation amongst non-jews as well, but was prevented from treating them in 1933 by the newly elected Nazi government. It was then gradually plundered (both by government officials and mobs) and eventually became a prison for a few jews that weren't sent to the concentration camps.
Since then it has been run as a non-profit foundation, financed by the jewish community and the city of Berlin.

As for non-medically trained people performing circumcision - that's definetly outright illegal - it's a surgical procedure, doing it without at least some medical classification is illegal.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

hongi wrote:
SilverWingedSeraph wrote:itt hongi states she is totally a-okay with female genital mutilation because all cultures are equal, and falsely equates presumably adolescent boys from making a choice about something to do with their body - something almost nobody in this thread is opposed to - with infants having part of their body cut off without their consent for no good medical reason except that it's part of their parents' culture.
I'm not a female, I'm not a-okay with female genital mutilation, I just think it should be legal, specifically the form where the clitoral hood is removed, and not criminalised. Circumcision is more than Jewish 8 day old circumcision, circumcision is also the process that many Muslim boys undergo during the ages of 10-13, not to mention the Polynesians I just mentioned. And actually the people people right after you said that circumcision of young boys is wrong as well, not just babies who can't give their consent.

There are over 1 billion Muslims. Most of the male circumcision happening today happens to Muslims. But most in this thread don't seem to be talking about them. So let me ask people. If parents want to circumcise their children at the age of 13, is that okay with you?
No, not at all. In Germany you can't get tattoos until you're sixteen, why should the case be different for genital mutilation which is an even more invasive procedure? IMO circumcision should only be allowed for either medical reasons or if the person in question made that decision as an adult. Religious privilege ought to be curtailed and minimized, not catered to.

I'm against all religion by principle, so every practice that has none but religious justifications is fully dispensable.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

Metahive wrote: You know in the Satere culture of South America, exposing little boys to repeated bullet ant* stings for days on end is an integral part of the rite of passage of becoming a man, too. And you know what? If some of those people came to Germany and tried to do it here they'd be quickly penalized for it, because it's fucking torturing little children for bullshit reasons!
Do you feel that people should come to that culture and put a stop to it?
Metahive wrote:Culture and tradition do not justify each and any practice just by virtue of being so, especially not ones that incorporate hurting or mutilating little children. Such traditions and cultural practices simply have no place in a modern, civilized society.
Maybe the defenders of religious privilege could get that into their skulls instead of dishing out the Hitler-Club and clutching their pearls tightly over perceived attempts of "cultural genocide".
You mean the modern, civilised society that you live in. You value your culture over theirs, to the extent that you're willing to destroy other people's other culture to satisfy the supposedly universal, innate 'rights' that your culture says people have. I doubt that the Satere-Mawe people have the same concept of human rights as you do, at least none of this 'oh they shouldn't have to do it if they want to become a man who is respected by his society'. But why can't you see that this is because you've grown up in a society that teaches these things? If you'd been born somewhere else, you'd also feel that it's necessary to do these things.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

hongi wrote:You mean the modern, civilised society that you live in.
And which the Jews and Muslims in question also apparently want to live in.
You value your culture over theirs, to the extent that you're willing to destroy other people's other culture to satisfy the supposedly universal, innate 'rights' that your culture says people have.
Yup!
I doubt that the Satere-Mawe people have the same concept of human rights as you do, at least none of this 'oh they shouldn't have to do it if they want to become a man who is respected by his society'
Clearly not. Which is why they have a fucked up culture that supports systematic child abuse.
But why can't you see that?
We can. Thus us supporting laws stopping them from abusing children because of their stupid woo-woo beliefs.
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

If you look at this video, it's actually young men who undergo the ritual, not boys. Possibly teens.
CJvR
Sith Devotee

Post by CJvR »

hongi wrote:You know in a lot of Polynesian cultures, circumcision is an integral part of the rite of passage of becoming a man.
What happens on the other side of the planet to boys old enough to become men is relevant somehow?
I thought Roman candles meant they were imported. - Kelly Bundy
12 yards long, two lanes wide it's 65 tons of American pride, Canyonero! - Simpsons
Support the KKK environmental program - keep the Arctic white!
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

hongi wrote:Do you feel that people should come to that culture and put a stop to it?
Lemme' quote something for you:

And you know what? If some of those people came to Germany and tried to do it here they'd be quickly penalized for it, because it's fucking torturing little children for bullshit reasons!

Does that put an end to your straw-construction?
You mean the modern, civilised society that you live in. You value your culture over theirs, to the extent that you're willing to destroy other people's other culture to satisfy the supposedly universal, innate 'rights' that your culture says people have. I doubt that the Satere-Mawe people have the same concept of human rights as you do, at least none of this 'oh they shouldn't have to do it if they want to become a man who is respected by his society'. But why can't you see that this is because you've grown up in a society that teaches these things? If you'd been born somewhere else, you'd also feel that it's necessary to do these things.
:roll:
You know, not only is that a continuation of the straw-construct above, such milquetoast relativism could easily be used to bring back the ghetto for non-christians complete with occasional pogroms. I mean, that was part of European culture and tradition too. Heck, such blather would mean that there shouldn't be human rights at all since they had the gall to intrude themselves upon the old, anti-human culture and traditions of yore.

Don't you people ever listen to yourselves?
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it

hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

Metahive wrote:No, not at all. In Germany you can't get tattoos until you're sixteen, why should the case be different for genital mutilation which is an even more invasive procedure?
Why sixteen? Seems completely arbitrary to me. You can easily make the decision when you're 10 to get a tattoo. Same with circumcision. A boy can give consent to get circumcised at 10. Maybe the legal system doesn't accept it as consent, but I think that's arbitrary.

But let me move the discussion onwards. Until you're significantly older, and perhaps even after then, your parents have significant control over you. It's very possible that even if a 10 year old Muslim boy doesn't give his consent to circumcision, for example he says that he'll get it later on, the parents may 'force' him to by saying that they're his parents and could punish him by taking away his allowance or his community could pressure him by shaming him. So it seems that age doesn't really matter. Even an 18 year old can get pressured like this. So the real question to my mind is whether to criminalise the ability for parents and the wider community to force or pressure their child to do what he/she doesn't want. What is the difference between a child saying no to circumcision and a child saying no to going to church or saying no to going to school?
Metahive wrote:IMO circumcision should only be allowed for either medical reasons or if the person in question made that decision as an adult. Religious privilege ought to be curtailed and minimized, not catered to.

I'm against all religion by principle, so every practice that has none but religious justifications is fully dispensable.
What's another religious privilege that you think ought to be curtailed and minimised? I'm interested in your attitude to religion. I'm an atheist, but I'm pretty chill towards religion. Aside from things like gay marriage, which only really affects me because some of my friends are gay, I don't have too much of a beef with religion. But anti-theists are foreign to me and I suspect to a lot of Australians. We're secular, but it's more of a live and let live approach.
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

CJvR wrote:
hongi wrote:You know in a lot of Polynesian cultures, circumcision is an integral part of the rite of passage of becoming a man.
What happens on the other side of the planet to boys old enough to become men is relevant somehow?
Because the so-called barbaric custom of circumcision exists in those cultures as well, and you said that cultural genocide is a good thing. So I'm pointing out that cultural genocide is a bad thing. In these Polynesian cultures, circumcision is an important part of their way of life, because that's what a culture is, a way of life. The idea that you can go into other cultures, shake up their old ways and then impose your culture onto them is a stupid one, as can be witnessed by the indigenous peoples in your country. It was disastrous. You gotta think about the consequences, not just about how these people are savages and you, the white person, don't have to listen to them. I guess I was naive for thinking that cultural imperialism had been abandoned in the West.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

So tell me, exactly how many people have to agree with me and how long do we have to have been doing it before I get a legal exemption from anti-child abuse laws? Just want to be clear on this.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

May I remind you all that circumcision does not normally inhibit sexual function or otherwise impact one's quality of life, and that the risk of complications is fairly low when the procedure is carried out correctly?

Let's try and keep a sense of proportion about this.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Zaune wrote:May I remind you all that circumcision does not normally inhibit sexual function or otherwise impact one's quality of life, and that the risk of complications is fairly low when the procedure is carried out correctly?

Honestly? Even if it was completely safe and physically harmless, I'd still be against circumcising kids being legal, for the same reason I'd be against letting parents have a cross tattooed onto their kids' chests. Why should they be able to mark their kids for life with a symbol of their religion?
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

hongi wrote:Why sixteen? Seems completely arbitrary to me. You can easily make the decision when you're 10 to get a tattoo. Same with circumcision. A boy can give consent to get circumcised at 10. Maybe the legal system doesn't accept it as consent, but I think that's arbitrary.
That's, like, your opinion, dude. I'm just saying what the situation is in Germany, considering that's a rather important part of the topic. Unlike whatever Polynesians wish to do in Polynesia.
But let me move the discussion onwards. Until you're significantly older, and perhaps even after then, your parents have significant control over you. It's very possible that even if a 10 year old Muslim boy doesn't give his consent to circumcision, for example he says that he'll get it later on, the parents may 'force' him to by saying that they're his parents and could punish him by taking away his allowance or his community could pressure him by shaming him. So it seems that age doesn't really matter. Even an 18 year old can get pressured like this. So the real question to my mind is whether to criminalise the ability for parents and the wider community to force or pressure their child to do what he/she doesn't want. What is the difference between a child saying no to circumcision and a child saying no to going to church or saying no to going to school?
:roll:

Are you comparing going to church to getting part of your penis lopped off? I mean for realsies? How am I going to argue with this much lack of perspective on your part?
What's another religious privilege that you think ought to be curtailed and minimised? I'm interested in your attitude to religion. I'm an atheist, but I'm pretty chill towards religion. Aside from things like gay marriage, which only really affects me because some of my friends are gay, I don't have too much of a beef with religion. But anti-theists are foreign to me and I suspect to a lot of Australians. We're secular, but it's more of a live and let live approach.
The privilege of not getting laughed at and ridiculed whenever they air their nonsensical superstitions in public which comes in tandem with the privilege of getting respected by default for it. How's it today? "I believe tinfoil hats protect me from alien mind control rays" -> "Haha, dumbass". "I believe pledging allegiance to a jewish carpenter from 2000 years ago makes me immortal" -> "I totally respect this heartfelt belief of you". NO! The reaction to the former must become the reaction to the latter. That's what I'd consider the ideal situation. If you can live with superstitions blokes being proudly so for all to see, which also encourages them to foist it upon others, then that's your problem. I myself can't and won't consider this to be an acceptable situation. I see relgiion out of the closet always as a lingering threat to a modern, humanist society.

Zaune wrote:May I remind you all that circumcision does not normally inhibit sexual function or otherwise impact one's quality of life, and that the risk of complications is fairly low when the procedure is carried out correctly?

Funny then that's it the defenders of religious privilege who scream their lungs off about perceived attempts of "cultural genocide" and even unfavourably compare modern Germany to frickin' Nazi Germany. Yeah, let's keep a sense of proportion, sounds like a good idea.

hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

Ralin wrote:
hongi wrote:You mean the modern, civilised society that you live in.
And which the Jews and Muslims in question also apparently want to live in.
I was talking about the South American tribe. They don't live in your country. Is it acceptable to remove that ritual of theirs because it disgusts us or is against our laws or our conception of human rights? If so, why? Can you justify that?
Ralin wrote:
You value your culture over theirs, to the extent that you're willing to destroy other people's other culture to satisfy the supposedly universal, innate 'rights' that your culture says people have.
Yup!
Why? How do you justify your valuing of your culture over theirs? And what reasons would you offer them so that they would come to accept your culture, assuming you don't advocate going in their with guns blazing and imposing your way of life by force?
Ralin wrote:
I doubt that the Satere-Mawe people have the same concept of human rights as you do, at least none of this 'oh they shouldn't have to do it if they want to become a man who is respected by his society'
Clearly not. Which is why they have a fucked up culture that supports systematic child abuse.
Have you seen that video that I posted? What is wrong with young men abuse? Okay but lets say that they weren't young men who agreed to it, but children who agreed to it to become warriors. Even if it is child abuse, why is that child abuse wrong and why should it be illegal?
Ralin wrote:
But why can't you see that?
We can. Thus us supporting laws stopping them from abusing children because of their stupid woo-woo beliefs.
I think you missed what I was asking you. I mean why can't you see that the position you hold so strongly is because of the society you're born in. If you were born into a society where all the men had undergone such a similar ritual, your worldview would be the same as theirs and you would not regard it as inferior or deserving of destruction. Given that, how can you believe your position that what you believe is right and they are wrong?
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

hongi wrote:I'm not a female,
My mistake.
I'm not a-okay with female genital mutilation, I just think it should be legal, specifically the form where the clitoral hood is removed, and not criminalised.
Why? Because... you say so? I can give logically sound reasons for banning the practice, your stance seems to be "it's part of their culture any harm caused is irrelevant", so how can you justify allowing FGM where the clitoral hood is removed, and what makes that acceptable compared to more extensive forms of FGM, that are, like the former, generally forced upon women unable to make informed consent due to their age, or due to their patriarchal society forcing it upon them?
Circumcision is more than Jewish 8 day old circumcision, circumcision is also the process that many Muslim boys undergo during the ages of 10-13, not to mention the Polynesians I just mentioned. And actually the people people right after you said that circumcision of young boys is wrong as well, not just babies who can't give their consent.
Young boys are unable to give informed consent, it is a medical procedure that is unnecessary, their parents should not have the choice to force them into having bits of them chopped off. If they want to make that decision when they're old enough to give informed consent, that's a different matter.

And before you start talking about the arbitrary nature of age of consent, I'll point out others have used the exact same argument to support having sex with children, and it works no better here than it does there.

Nobody is suggesting running into Polynesian societies and banning their practices. Do I disagree with them? Hell yes, I think it's barbaric, but I don't support going in and banning them. But in first world countries, people have protections, not the least of which being that the state of someone's body should be a matter of consent, and parents should not be able to force children into unnecessary medical procedures for cultural or religious reasons if they want to enjoy the protections they receive in our society.

Yeah, sense of proportion, it only removes a natural source of lubrication, removes plenty of nerve endings, and exposes the glans, resulting in callousing and reduced sensitivity. On the flipside, you get... no statistically significant benefits. Loss/benefit ratio is a little out of whack, particularly considering that there are risks, up to and including death, just as there is with every surgical procedure.

Would anyone be arguing that it should be okay for parents to chop off the earlobes of their children, or use social pressures to force 10-13 year olds into having their earlobes chopped off, despite the fact the loss of earlobes has less physiological downsides than circumcision?
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

Metahive wrote:
hongi wrote:Do you feel that people should come to that culture and put a stop to it?
Lemme' quote something for you:

And you know what? If some of those people came to Germany and tried to do it here they'd be quickly penalized for it, because it's fucking torturing little children for bullshit reasons!

Does that put an end to your straw-construction?
I understand that, but I was asking a further question that built on what you said. You say that you'd illegalise it if it happened in your country. But it's still happening in their native country. My question is really about whether it's wrong everywhere if it's wrong in Germany as well.

Also, why do you think it should be illegal in Germany? If children agree to undergo the ritual, what law is there in Germany that prevents it from taking place?
Metahive wrote: :roll:
You know, not only is that a continuation of the straw-construct above, such milquetoast relativism could easily be used to bring back the ghetto for non-christians complete with occasional pogroms. I mean, that was part of European culture and tradition too. Heck, such blather would mean that there shouldn't be human rights at all since they had the gall to intrude themselves upon the old, anti-human culture and traditions of yore.

Don't you people ever listen to yourselves?
I think this is the sort of thing that Nietzsche was talking about when he says that people have killed God, but God's shadow still exists. Where does the idea of universal human rights and equality and so forth come from? I can't help but think that it's a theistic after-glow. Not just Christianity, but deism. Thomas Jefferson still believed in that sort of thing, even though he didn't believe in the Christian God. We atheists usually claim to be skeptics, but when do we ever ask questions about where human rights come from and why it's justified to promote one idea of human rights over another?
Ralin wrote: Honestly? Even if it was completely safe and physically harmless, I'd still be against circumcising kids being legal, for the same reason I'd be against letting parents have a cross tattooed onto their kids' chests. Why should they be able to mark their kids for life with a symbol of their religion?
Do you think baptism should be illegal?
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

hongi wrote:
Ralin wrote:Honestly? Even if it was completely safe and physically harmless, I'd still be against circumcising kids being legal, for the same reason I'd be against letting parents have a cross tattooed onto their kids' chests. Why should they be able to mark their kids for life with a symbol of their religion?
False equivalence, Baptism results in no lasting physiological alterations that are by and large irreversible or at the very least require costly medical procedures to reverse.
hongi wrote:Where does the idea of universal human rights and equality and so forth come from? I can't help but think that it's a theistic after-glow. Not just Christianity, but deism. Thomas Jefferson still believed in that sort of thing, even though he didn't believe in the Christian God. We atheists usually claim to be skeptics, but when do we ever ask questions about where human rights come from and why it's justified to promote one idea of human rights over another?
Plenty of atheists and skeptics have written plenty on the matter. But here's just a bit of it:
  • Human beings, through their ability to empathize, are capable of determining ethical grounds.
  • Human beings, through logic and reason, are capable of deriving normative principles of behavior.
  • This may lead to a behavior preferable to that propagated or condoned based on religious texts. Alternatively, this may lead to the advocacy of a system of moral principles that a broad group of people, both religious and non-religious, can agree upon.
  • Human beings have the moral responsibility to ensure that societies and individuals act based on these ethical principles.
  • Societies should, if at all possible, advance from a less ethical and just form to a more ethical and just form.
You're free to actually go read literature. Almost nobody claims that universal rights are actually something that exist outside of humans. They're a construct of human minds, they can be enforced only by humans. But they come from secular morality, which is reason-based, not mysticism-based.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

hongi wrote:I was talking about the South American tribe. They don't live in your country. Is it acceptable to remove that ritual of theirs because it disgusts us or is against our laws or our conception of human rights? If so, why? Can you justify that?
Irrelevant, since we're talking about Germany.
Ralin wrote:Why? How do you justify your valuing of your culture over theirs?
Because my culture does not require systematic child abuse, you stupid, child abuse-defending hippy
And what reasons would you offer them so that they would come to accept your culture, assuming you don't advocate going in their with guns blazing and imposing your way of life by force?
Because my culture offers better chances to be happy and live a good life. And also does not involve systematically torturing children.
Ralin wrote:Okay but lets say that they weren't young men who agreed to it, but children who agreed to it to become warriors.
No, because children are incapable of giving consent.
Even if it is child abuse, why is that child abuse wrong and why should it be illegal?
Are you fucking retarded?

Hey, why should it be illegal to beat the shit out of you and take all of your stuff? I mean, that’s just another part of your culture, why should I have to live by it?
Ralin wrote:I think you missed what I was asking you. I mean why can't you see that the position you hold so strongly is because of the society you're born in. If you were born into a society where all the men had undergone such a similar ritual, your worldview would be the same as theirs and you would not regard it as inferior or deserving of destruction. Given that, how can you believe your position that what you believe is right and they are wrong?
Why yes, it’s obvious that I likely wouldn’t hold the same beliefs if I had been born into a different society. The difference is that unlike their beliefs mine are objectively better, because they don’t involve torturing children

Now please, answer my fucking question and explain exactly how many people have to agree with me and for how long before I should be legally allowed to abuse my children. Dumbass.
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

SilverWingedSeraph wrote:
hongi wrote:
Ralin wrote:Honestly? Even if it was completely safe and physically harmless, I'd still be against circumcising kids being legal, for the same reason I'd be against letting parents have a cross tattooed onto their kids' chests. Why should they be able to mark their kids for life with a symbol of their religion?
False equivalence, Baptism results in no lasting physiological alterations that are by and large irreversible or at the very least require costly medical procedures to reverse.
Um, I think you should read Ralin's post again.
SilverWingedSeraph wrote:
  • Human beings, through their ability to empathize, are capable of determining ethical grounds.
  • Human beings, through logic and reason, are capable of deriving normative principles of behavior.
  • This may lead to a behavior preferable to that propagated or condoned based on religious texts. Alternatively, this may lead to the advocacy of a system of moral principles that a broad group of people, both religious and non-religious, can agree upon.
  • Human beings have the moral responsibility to ensure that societies and individuals act based on these ethical principles.
  • Societies should, if at all possible, advance from a less ethical and just form to a more ethical and just form.
You're free to actually go read literature. Almost nobody claims that universal rights are actually something that exist outside of humans. They're a construct of human minds, they can be enforced only by humans. But they come from secular morality, which is reason-based, not mysticism-based.
Okay, from the Wikipedia article that you cited, I want to add in a line that you left out:
Despite the width and diversity of their philosophical views, secular ethicists generally share one or more principles:

Human beings, through their ability to empathize, are capable of determining ethical grounds.
Human beings, through logic and reason, are capable of deriving normative principles of behavior.
This may lead to a behavior preferable to that propagated or condoned based on religious texts. Alternatively, this may lead to the advocacy of a system of moral principles that a broad group of people, both religious and non-religious, can agree upon.
Human beings have the moral responsibility to ensure that societies and individuals act based on these ethical principles.
Societies should, if at all possible, advance from a less ethical and just form to a more ethical and just form.
I don't believe that the above form of morality that some secular people have adopted trumps non-secular morality. Nor is my own form of secular morality very similar to all of the points of the above. There are some similarities, but there's a whole lot that I disagree with. For example, the second to last point, I disagree with, especially if it means the ethical principles that I believe. I have no wish to impose my ethical principles on other people, I think it'd be disastrous actually. And most definitely I don't accept the idea that there's some kind of moral responsibility that impels me to make other people act like me. And I don't accept the second point as it is currently stated. They mention logic and reason but don't mention irrationality. My morality is drawn from irrational sources as well.

Also, just to clarify about my signature:
That the majority of California voters supported Proposition 8 is irrelevant, as fundamental rights may not be submitted to [a] vote; they depend on the outcome of no elections. - Judge Vaughn Walker
I don't actually believe we have fundamental rights. But I accept them as if they exist in the case of gay marriage, since you really can't convince people in our society if you don't at least pretend that they exist. But if anyone bothered to ask, I would deny that such things as fundamental rights exist. I'm pretty sure that a fundamental right may be submitted to a vote.
CJvR
Sith Devotee

Post by CJvR »

hongi wrote:
CJvR wrote:
Because the so-called barbaric custom of circumcision exists in those cultures as well, and you said that cultural genocide is a good thing. So I'm pointing out that cultural genocide is a bad thing. In these Polynesian cultures, circumcision is an important part of their way of life, because that's what a culture is, a way of life. The idea that you can go into other cultures, shake up their old ways and then impose your culture onto them is a stupid one, as can be witnessed by the indigenous peoples in your country. It was disastrous. You gotta think about the consequences, not just about how these people are savages and you, the white person, don't have to listen to them. I guess I was naive for thinking that cultural imperialism had been abandoned in the West.
You can strike the "so-called" bit, it is barbaric simple as that. However I still fail to see what this particular type of Polynesian stupidity, apparently practiced in Polynesia on boys old enough to say no, have to do with the much worse Jewish stupidity practiced on infants in a country where such things would have been criminalized a long time ago except that the criminals in this case hide behind "religion".

As for cultural imperialism, well some things are just better in other cultures. Not having your parents chop of bits of your genitalia to please a God you might, or might not, follow when you grow older - better!
I thought Roman candles meant they were imported. - Kelly Bundy
12 yards long, two lanes wide it's 65 tons of American pride, Canyonero! - Simpsons
Support the KKK environmental program - keep the Arctic white!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Akhlut wrote:
Broomstick wrote:You are so full of shit - you really think that Pharonic circumcision, which removes the clitoris, labia, and sews up the opening of the vagina and urethra to something the size of soda straw is the exact same thing as foreskin removal? Get real. Sure, male castratos have reported orgasm capability as well, but you'd be nuts to argue that castration doesn't impact sex.
If you're willing to outlaw one, why not completely outlaw the other?
While they are both mutilation, one is a fuckton more damaging than the other, or don't you understand the world is analog, not binary? You're arguing that two different levels of damage are exactly the same when to anyone with a brain they clearly are not. It's the difference between burns-and-skin-graft on a foot and having the foot cut entirely off. Neither is desirable but most people view complete amputation as worse than "mere" severe damage that still leaves the body part functional even if not perfect.
Any society that allows the mutilation of children is abhorrent and abominable.
So will you impose equal penalties for any parent piercing the ears of an infant or a child who otherwise is not competent to give consent?
I don't see why not. Probably a lesser penalty, due to the relatively insensate nature of ear cartilage, but a penalty nonetheless.
Why lesser, when you view all damage as equally intolerable and barbaric?

Also, you moron, traditional piercing through the ear lobe, what the vast majority of people mean by the term, doesn't go through cartilage. It does cause pain, children cry when it's done to them. Also, if you DO do a piercing through cartilage is usually hurts worse. Thanks for displaying your ignorance.
They can't have their cake and eat it too; if they want to live as Iron Age barbarians, then they shouldn't be living in a 21st century nation with laws protecting children from genital mutilation.
Bronze Age, actually.
Actually, most observant Jews I know in the Orthodox and even quite a few Conservatives simply will not use the phone on the Sabbath, neither to call nor to answer it, and will even turn off the answering machine or disconnect the phone. Sorry to burst your bubble, but not all Jews seek a means to cheat.
Not all, sure, but there is a market in Israel for such cheats against the spirit, if not the letter, of the laws of YHWH.
So, because some cheat they all cheat, right? Just ignore the fact that many Jews who could easily afford such equipment do regard it as cheating and view the ones who do use it as hypocrites and worse, because, you know, those Jews are all alike, not the like rest of us who are individuals, right?
And it's probably closer to 5000-600 years of circumcision, not 4,000, although the historical record that far back is a wee bit murky.
Especially since they lifted most of their theology from the Zoroastrians and altered most of their books to reflect the new theology. So, it's not even like they're using "pure" Judaism anyways.
Who the hell ever said there was ever "pure" Judaism? Or did it occur to you that in part they were referred to as the "Twelve Tribes of Israel" due to differing customs? It's not like there's a Jewish pope or anything to keep the brand pure.

However, one practice found over and over in Judaism is infant circumcision.
3% of Jews not circumcising their male offspring is hardly a groundswell of change. There have always been a certain percentage who try to get out of the requirement. The larger Jewish community - the 97% - usually kick them to the curb as bad Jews.
I was illustrating the possibility of devout Jews not engaging in barbaric practices.
If they aren't circumcizing then 97% of Jews don't regard them as devout no matter what else they do. Jews get to decide these things, not you.
What I find pathetic are the number of people attempting to reason some way out for the Jews, or rationalizing that they will find an exception, or be willing to compromise. Greater than 90% will not - they will not compromise, they will not even look for an exception, and will continue the practice one way or another unless physically stopped from doing so.
I certainly hope they're stopped from harming innocent children. I imagine if this were any group other than the Jews engaging in behavior like this, that group would be rightfully shouted down as being barbaric and possibly evil.
You mean... like vast swathes of American Christians who are still circumcising their baby boys? South Korea? Australia? Well, OK, Australia is "only" about 2/3 of men and boys being circumcised and admittedly there is some dispute about the exact number.

I've leaving out the many African nations as it is all too easy to dismiss them as barbaric and the predominantly Muslim nations like Indonesia because, after all, Muslims are so easily confused with evil by the mentally deficient.

It's a funny thing about circumcision - it's so easily hidden by ordinary trousers. Did you really think this practice was limited only to Jews and a slice of Muslims? Part of the problem with eliminating it is that it is widely practiced around the world, even if the rates are very low in Europe among Christians and secular people, and so many people just don't see this as a big deal.

It's rather like the reaction I get when I say ear piercing in infants is child abuse – the practice is so widespread and accepted people just don't get it. Mothers who get upset at the pain caused by their kid getting a shot at the doctor think nothing of drilling holes in their kid's ears for purely ornamental purposes. They just don't get it. We see the same thing about circumcision on this very forum from time to time, when some young man, typically cut himself, will post that he doesn't get the furor, he was circumcised as an infant and he's OK so what's the problem here? When the victims themselves don't see it as a problem it means you have a VERY difficult job eradicating the practice.
Akhlut wrote:
Broomstick wrote:It's a little like saying that because you occasionally see an Amish teenager driving around in a car (yay, teen rebellion and rumspringa) that all Amish everywhere are stinking, car-driving hypocrites and not to be trusted.
The Amish are allowed to drive cars around whenever they want. I've seen them in Walmart taking home their groceries in a minivan.
The fuck they are.

Question: how do you know these people are actually Amish? Did you ask them? Or were they Mennonites, who share many things with the Amish but do allow driving? Or is this you once again displaying ignorance of others?

The Wal-Mart 20 miles down the road from me sure as fuck didn't install facilities for horses and buggies for automobile driving Amish.
They're supposed to be conservative in their use of technology and to try and live simply, but the use of advanced items is permitted for various reasons.
And this is a problem because...?

This may surprise you, but the Amish are just as free as anyone else and allowed to determine how they will live. Hey, give them bonus points – they don't allow their children to formally join their church until actual adulthood so no one can say they were forced into the lifestyle, they insist on it being a conscious choice to make the commitment (about 1/4 of the kids do, in fact, leave the Amish prior to joining the church). It's not for you to shake your finger at them and say “Well, you allow X or Y so you're a bunch of stinking, cheating hypocrites.

Yes, they are supposed to live simply, plainly, and with the focus on family and community but while they interpret that to mean lower tech than the mainstream there is, in fact, no religious prohibition on adopting advanced technology if the community chooses to do so. What so many find baffling is that they so often choose NOT to adopt the new. OMG! They don't want the latest Justin Bieber recording? WTF is wrong with those people?
Also, way to impugn me with antisemitic accusations, however, there are, in fact, Jews who try to get around all their own self-imposed laws through legalistic rules-lawyering, and your self-serving martyrdom won't change that.
The problem is not that you're pointing out the existence of cheaters, but you're insisting the conduct of a single-digit percentage of a large and diverse group is somehow characteristic of the whole. If 3% of, say, Frenchmen are thieves does it follow all Frenchmen are thieves? Of course not. But because 3% of Jews don't circumcise their male offspring you somehow think this is indicative of the sentiments of most Jews. It's not. They are an insignificant outlier. You don't get that the overwhelming majority of Jews seen male infant circumcision as a positive good. It's a totally alien mindset to you which is why you just don't get how important this is to Jewish identity. Yes, if you base your opinion of a group on THREE FUCKING PERCENT of the group (Yay! Jews that don't circumcise! It's possible so let's outlaw it and fuck the 97%!) that IS, in fact, bigotry.

And – for the umpteenth time – this is NOT MY PERSONAL VIEW. So take the “self-serving martyrdom” bullshit and shoved it up your ass. I am on record here in multiple threads as being opposed to anything other than medically necessary circumcision. Well, OK, adult males can do whatever the fuck they want with their dicks but I still think voluntary circumcision is stupid and foolish. Or do you not understand what is meant by “Devil's Advocate”? Are you unfamiliar with the notion that a good debater can argue either side of an issue?

What prompted me to do that was NOT a personal liking of the practice – I despise it – but because of all the fucking ignorance about another culture being displayed here. Which, in your case, apparently is not limited to the Jews but also extends to the Amish. Wouldn't surprise me if the trend continues in regards to other groups as well.
Akhlut wrote:Cutting off an infants' flesh without anesthetic is generally considered harmful and, if not performed in the name of a religion (or in the US, by a doctor due to cultural inertia), would generally be charged with dozens of crimes and thrown in jail for a very long time.
Since there is not Biblical prohibition on anesthesia and no requirement that the child feel pain during the procedure, in fact the use of anesthesia in infant circumcision is now routine even when performed by a mohel (or, as my mother used to call them, “a creepy old men in the synagogue” which should make it clear what her views were) in a religious setting. I don't doubt there are some assholes who neglect to use it, but that's also true in secular hospitals with trained doctors for some asinine reason. Again, Akhlut is showing he has, at best, only a superficial and frequently wrong knowledge of what the hell he's talking about.

What the fuck do you think they do, rip it off with their teeth? Holy fuck you might at least try something as simple as Wikipedia or Google. Here's another fact: they also sterilize the fucking instruments they use, which are modern tools just like a doctor would use. This doesn't make it OK, of course, but it's not like they're using rusty razor blades or broken beer bottles or something.
Ralin wrote:Why the hell do so many people here suddenly think it's racist to not cater to people who want to hurt others because of their stupid woo-woo beliefs? If we were talking about Christians wanting to spank their children anyone siding with them would be dog-piled in seconds, and that's also backed by their religion/culture.
The problem isn't with saying “that practice is unacceptable in the modern world”, it's morons like Akhlut saying “well, 3% of Jews don't do this, so they rest of them can get along without it and they should STFU and not bitch” with no understanding that the group can and will resist, and “I've seen Jews (or Amish) cheating on their own rules so they're all liars and cheats!”, which latter, especially, is full of chewy bigotry.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

CJvR wrote:You can strike the "so-called" bit, it is barbaric simple as that.
Barbaric is in the eye of the beholder. And in my eyes, it's not barbaric to circumcise your kids. It may be barbaric to you. When I use the terms, I like to put the 'so-called' bit in there to reflect my personal view on these matters.
CJvR wrote:However I still fail to see what this particular type of Polynesian stupidity, apparently practiced in Polynesia on boys old enough to say no, have to do with the much worse Jewish stupidity practiced on infants in a country where such things would have been criminalized a long time ago except that the criminals in this case hide behind "religion".
Because circumcision is not a purely Jewish practice. There are many forms of it practised throughout the world. The Polynesian practice of circumcision is more comparable to Muslim varieties of circumcision, since shari'a law differs and is somewhat flexible on when exactly circumcision should take place (or whether it is even mandatory, there are Muslims who have never been circumcised). Whereas Jewish law uniformly states that Jewish boys should be circumcised at 8 days old, barring health reasons. Muslim boys can be circumcised much later than Jewish boys. If people are worried about whether boys can give consent, this should complicate matters, no? This court case in Germany that sparked the whole kerfuffle was because of Muslim parents circumcising their son, and most of the circumcision taking place in the world happens because of Muslims. So I wanted to bring in some more context and broaden the discussion out.
Last edited by hongi on 2012-06-30 07:18am, edited 1 time in total.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Broomstick wrote:The problem isn't with saying “that practice is unacceptable in the modern world”, it's morons like Akhlut saying “well, 3% of Jews don't do this, so they rest of them can get along without it and they should STFU and not bitch” with no understanding that the group can and will resist, and “I've seen Jews (or Amish) cheating on their own rules so they're all liars and cheats!”, which latter, especially, is full of chewy bigotry.
Yeah, I wasn't talking about you, I get that it's not going to be easy to get people to go along with banning it. It's the sudden heaping pile of mindless relativism that's got me pissed.
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

hongi wrote:Um, I think you should read Ralin's post again.
Why? His point is that even if circumcision was safe and harmless, it would still be physically altering their body without their consent, no different from getting a cross tattooed on their chest. Baptism does not alter the physical integrity of anyone's body.
Okay, from the Wikipedia article that you cited, I want to add in a line that you left out:
Despite the width and diversity of their philosophical views, secular ethicists generally share one or more principles:

Human beings, through their ability to empathize, are capable of determining ethical grounds.
Human beings, through logic and reason, are capable of deriving normative principles of behavior.
This may lead to a behavior preferable to that propagated or condoned based on religious texts. Alternatively, this may lead to the advocacy of a system of moral principles that a broad group of people, both religious and non-religious, can agree upon.
Human beings have the moral responsibility to ensure that societies and individuals act based on these ethical principles.
Societies should, if at all possible, advance from a less ethical and just form to a more ethical and just form.
I don't believe that the above form of morality that some secular people have adopted trumps non-secular morality. Nor is my own form of secular morality very similar to all of the points of the above. There are some similarities, but there's a whole lot that I disagree with. For example, the second to last point, I disagree with, especially if it means the ethical principles that I believe. I have no wish to impose my ethical principles on other people, I think it'd be disastrous actually. And I don't accept the second point as it is currently stated. They mention logic and reason but don't mention irrationality. My morality is drawn from irrational sources as well.
Then your morality is worthless. If it is not consistent (and you have shown it isn't), if it's not reason-based, then it is indeed no better or worse than religious forms of morality. Reason-based ethics are superior, by virtue of being... based on fucking reason, you dumbshit. In hongi-land, any and all forms of morality are a-okay, and a culture that allows slavery, rape and child abuse is no better or worse than any other culture, because shucks, it's not like there are objective metrics for what is harmful and what isn't!

You've proven yourself to no longer be worth addressing. Fucking tool.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
hongi
Jedi Council Member

Post by hongi »

SilverWingedSeraph wrote:Then your morality is worthless. If it is not consistent (and you have shown it isn't), if it's not reason-based, then it is indeed no better or worse than religious forms of morality. Reason-based ethics are superior, by virtue of being... based on fucking reason, you dumbshit. In hongi-land, any and all forms of morality are a-okay, and a culture that allows slavery, rape and child abuse is no better or worse than any other culture, because shucks, it's not like there are objective metrics for what is harmful and what isn't!

You've proven yourself to no longer be worth addressing. Fucking tool.
Seriously there's no need for the discussion to get emotion-filled. I'm not going to call you a fucking tool, even if I seriously disagree with your points. And you don't need to do that either.