Twelve dead in Berlin terrorist attack

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Re: Twelve dead in Berlin terrorist attack

Post by Zaune »

Holy hell.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

According to the daily mail,

He was wanted for robbery in Tunisia, fled to Italy pretending to be an underage Syrian refugee. At the refugee centre, was involved in a violent protest against a bunch of Tunisians being sent back to Tunisia. Was one of several who set their mattresses on fire in the protest, resulting in the entire facility burning to the ground.

Was arrested and jailed in Italy for this, jail three years, then allegedly homeless until collected and groomed by Daesh recruiters

Just a long fuckup of a human. I dunno wether he needed medicating or was just incapable of making a good decision.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Pity he's dead. I wanted to see him rot in prison. At least he's removed from the gene pool
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

wautd wrote:Pity he's dead. I wanted to see him rot in prison.
Considering that the idiots running the EU think life without parole is a human rights violation, I'd prefer him dead.
Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

Grumman wrote:
Considering that the idiots running the EU think life without parole is a human rights violation, I'd prefer him dead.
I would suggest you learn the difference between the EU and the ECHR before you comment on such matters. It might stop you looking so stupid.
What is WRONG with you people
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Grumman wrote:
Doesn't that just mean he is entitled to a parole hearing, whereby he can be held if he appears to continue to pose a danger? Because if so, I agree with them.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Basically, yeah. I don't recall exactly what the maximum duration is in Germany, but it's almost certainly over twenty years.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Grumman wrote:

Life without the possibility of parole is a human rights violation. That means that every prisoner is entitled to a parole hearing after 15 years.

if he is then still deemed a danger he can still be kept locked up.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I find it regrettable that the perp just died in a shootout. Dead people can't tell anything. Alive he'd be more valuable, especially considering his established links with islamists.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

K. A. Pital wrote:I find it regrettable that the perp just died in a shootout. Dead people can't tell anything. Alive he'd be more valuable, especially considering his established links with islamists.
On the other hand, it's a lot easier to make up any story you want about them when they're dead and incapable of giving contrary testimony.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Ralin wrote:
Patroklos wrote:It's totally benign in the US.
I can't think of any time I've ever seen or heard it used in the US, other than talking about how super offensive it is in the UK.

I've seen convenience stores and stuff advertising "Indo-Pak" food and stuff, but that's the closest I can remember off the top of my head.
^ This.

It's not even a term in America, except saying "this term is considered offensive in Britain and by extension probably the commonwealth". People from Pakistan are Pakistanis, period. There aren't enough of them and/or they aren't visible enough to have earned a shortened moniker.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Thanas wrote:
Grumman wrote:
Life without the possibility of parole is a human rights violation. That means that every prisoner is entitled to a parole hearing after 15 years.

if he is then still deemed a danger he can still be kept locked up.
Hell, California has kept bad boy Charles Manson locked up for 45 years using that method, and no one is expecting him to ever get set loose by any parole board.

Remember, though, that under the American system even someone sentenced to life without parole still has the option to have that sentence reviewed down the line. Admittedly, it's a hell of a lot harder to get that done than go through a regular parole board meeting.

But yeah, there's stuff wrong with the US systems that needs righting. Even for the most dangerous of people we should be able to keep the rest of us safe from them without resorting to torture.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice