The story of Ahmed Mohamed and a clock

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

The story of Ahmed Mohamed and a clock

Post by Mr Bean »

TL:DR, a 14 year old named Ahmed made a homebuilt clock at home and brought it in to show and tell. Teacher one said huh, teacher two said OMG BOMB CALL THE COPS. Cops came, arrested kid then shit the fan when everyone outside of the school district understood how fucking idiot this looked from the outside.

The long version..
Time
Time wrote: Teachers thought Ahmed Mohamed's homemade device was a bomb

A ninth grader from Irving, Texas, was arrested at his school Monday after teachers thought his homemade clock looked like a bomb.

Ahmed Mohamed, 14, was taken to a juvenile detention center, suspended from school and could still face charges of making a hoax bomb, reports the Dallas News.

But Ahmed, a robotics fan who reportedly likes to make his own radios, insists he made a clock and brought the invention into school to show his engineering teacher.

The clock — a circuit board with a power supply wired to a digital display — was confiscated during English class because the alarm kept beeping.

“She was like, it looks like a bomb,” he told the Dallas News, adding, “It doesn’t look like a bomb to me.”

Ahmed was later taken out of class by the principal and questioned by five police officers who demanded to know his intentions and why he brought the device into school.

“It could reasonably be mistaken as a device if left in a bathroom or under a car. The concern was, what was this thing built for? Do we take him into custody?” said police spokesperson James McLellan.

Ahmed was marched out of the school in handcuffs and taken to a juvenile detention center to take his fingerprints. But the high schooler says he never claimed the device was anything but a clock.

“They thought, ‘How could someone like this build something like this unless it’s a threat?’” Ahmed said.

His father Mohamed Elhassan Mohamed, who had emigrated to the U.S. from Sudan, believes his son’s ethnicity may have been a factor. “He just wants to invent good things for mankind,” he said. “But because his name is Mohamed and because of Sept. 11, I think my son got mistreated.”

The case has attracted the attention of the North Texas chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations.
Part 2 as the school district has sent a letter home explaining what happened today.
Time wrote:We will always take necessary precautions to protect our students'

The principal of the school attended by a student whose homemade clock was confused for a bomb explained the decision to involve police as a move to “keep our school as safe as possible” in a letter to parents.

Ahmed Mohamed, a 14-year-old 9th grader at MacArthur High School in Irving, Texas, was taken to a juvenile detention center and suspended from school Monday after bringing in homemade clock that was mistaken for a bomb. Mohamed, who said he was simply pursuing his interest in electronics and robotics, could still face charges of making a hoax bomb, according to the Dallas News.

News of Mohamed’s arrest has caused outrage on social media, where his supports have united behind the #IStandWithAhmed hashtag. But in the letter to parents, MacArthur High School principal Dan Cummings appeared to defend the decision to take the student into custody. “We will always take necessary precautions to protect our students,” wrote Cummings.

The letter says police found responded to a “suspicious-looking item” on Monday, but police found that the item posed no threat. An investigation remained ongoing, according to Cummings’ letter.

The principal added that parents should use Mohamed’s arrest as a teachable moment. “I recommend using this opportunity to talk with your child about the Student Code of Conduct and specifically not bringing items to school that are prohibited,” Cummings says in the letter. “Also, this is a good time to remind your child how important it is to immediately report any suspicious items and/or suspicious behavior they observe to any school employee so we can address it right away.”

The Student Code of Conduct prohibits students from possessing, among other items, “any articles not generally considered to be weapons, including school supplies, when the principal or designee determines that a danger exists.”

MacArthur High School directed TIME’s request for comment to the school district, which did not immediately respond.
So lets sum it up again, teacher things kid brought a bomb to school.
They call the cops to arrest the kid but don't....
A. Evacuate the school
B. Call in the bomb squad
C. Treat it anything like you'd treat a bomb threat.

Which leaves everyone on the outside look at this and getting a easy guess on why someone with the last name Mohammad might have been singled out and the school is doing a shit job of covering it's own backside and making it worse statement by statement.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: The story of Ahmed Mohamed and a clock

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Obama's response was priceless:
A 14-year-old Muslim boy became a sensation on social media Wednesday after word spread that he had been placed in handcuffs and suspended for coming to school with a homemade clock that teachers thought resembled a bomb.

Police declined to seek any charges against Ahmed Mohamed, but that did little to tamp down criticism of police and school officials or suspicions that they had overreacted because of the boy's religion.

Ahmed was pulled from class Monday and taken to a detention center after showing the digital clock to teachers at his suburban Dallas high school.

Student's clock
This photo provided by police in Irving, Texas, shows the homemade clock that Ahmed Mohamed brought to school Sept. 14, 2015. (Irving Police Department)
Irving Police Chief Larry Boyd said the clock looked "suspicious in nature," but there was no evidence the boy meant to cause alarm at MacArthur High School. Boyd considers the case closed.

In a matter of hours, the clock made Mohamed a star on social media, with the hashtag #IStandWithAhmed tweeted nearly 750,000 times by Wednesday afternoon.

Groups including the American Civil Liberties Union condemned what they called the school's heavy-handed tactics.

"Instead of encouraging his curiosity, intellect and ability, the Irving (school district) saw fit to throw handcuffs on a frightened 14-year-old Muslim boy wearing a NASA T-shirt and then remove him from school," Terri Burke, executive director of the ACLU in Texas, said in a statement.

The White House also weighed in.

In a tweet, President Barack Obama called Mohamed's clock "cool" and said more kids should be inspired like him to enjoy science, because "it's what makes America great."

Asked if bias was involved, White House press secretary Josh Earnest said it was too early "to draw that direct assessment from here." But, he added, Mohamed's teachers had "failed him."

"This is an instance where you have people who have otherwise dedicated their lives to teach our children who failed in that effort, potentially because of some things in their conscience and the power of stereotypes," he said.

The boy was invited to participate in an astronomy night the White House is organizing sometime next month with premier scientists.

In a post to his site, Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg said, "Having the skill and ambition to build something cool should lead to applause."

"Ahmed, if you ever want to come by Facebook, I'd love to meet you," Zuckerberg posted. "Keep building."

The teen explained to The Dallas Morning News that he makes his own radios, repairs his own go-kart and on Sunday spent about 20 minutes before bedtime assembling the clock using a circuit board, a power supply wired to a digital display and other items.

Mohamed's father, Mohamed Elhassan Mohamed, told the Morning News that his son "just wants to invent good things for mankind. But because his name is Mohamed and because of Sept. 11, I think my son got mistreated."

The boy's family said Mohamed was suspended for three days. It was not clear if he will be allowed to return to school now that police have declined to pursue the matter.

School district spokeswoman Lesley Weaver declined to confirm the suspension, citing privacy laws. Weaver insisted school officials were concerned with student safety and not the boy's faith.

The police chief said the reaction to the clock "would have been the same regardless" of his religion.

"We live in an age where you can't take things like that to school," Boyd said.

Boyd said police have an "outstanding relationship" with the Muslim community in Irving and that he would meet the boy's father Wednesday to address any concerns.

This spring, the city council endorsed one of several bills under discussion in the Texas Legislature that would forbid judges from rulings based on "foreign laws" — legislation opponents view as unnecessary and driven by anti-Muslim sentiment.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations is reviewing the action against Mohamed.

"This all raises a red flag for us: how Irving's government entities are operating in the current climate," Alia Salem, executive director of the council's North Texas chapter, told the Morning News.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nati ... story.html

Basically, Obama invited him to bring the alleged bomb to the White House. :D I love it when the President shows he has a spine.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Once again, mere words are inadequate:

............................................________........................
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,..................
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,............
.........................,/...............................................”:,........
.....................,?......................................................\,.....
.................../...........................................................,}....
................./......................................................,:`^`..}....
.............../...................................................,:”........./.....
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../.....
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../........
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/...........
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}...........
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../............
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../.............
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”...............
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\...................
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__...........
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,....
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\........................
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\.......................
................................`:,,...........................`\..............__..
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``.......
........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\...............
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\..............
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

I would not assume the school's stupidity was motivated by bigotry, when plain old zero tolerance idiocy would suffice. Last time some idiot thought a circuit board was a bomb the owner looked like this, and this kid got suspended for possession of a gun-shaped piece of pop tart.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Some people are pointing out the similarities and contrast with the "Shoney's incident" in September 2002:
Terror Scare in Florida: False Alarm, but Televised
By DAVID M. HALBFINGER
Published: September 14, 2002
MIAMI, Sept. 13 — An Interstate highway was sealed off, three men of Middle Eastern descent were detained for more than 17 hours and their cars were searched for explosives, all under the eyes of a media horde today, after a woman said she had overheard the men talk of a terrorist attack over breakfast at a restaurant on Thursday.

But the three men proved to be medical students on their way to a hospital here, there were no explosives in their cars, and the authorities said their plotting may have been the work of smart alecks, not fanatics.

As law enforcement officials and viewers collectively exhaled late this afternoon, the day's deadly seriousness gave way to comic relief: the three men were released without being charged, but as they resumed their journey here news helicopters chased them, transmitting live images of their trip to Miami over CNN.

The incident left domestic security officials praising the woman, Eunice Stone of Cartersville, Ga., for reporting her suspicions and jotting down the men's license plate numbers and car descriptions after overhearing them at a Shoney's restaurant in Calhoun, Ga. They also praised one another for responding quickly, and overwhelmingly, to what had thankfully been only a false alarm.

At a time when citizens, police and news organizations seemed on a hair trigger over the Sept. 11 anniversary and Tuesday's decision by the Bush administration to increase the terror alert warning level to code orange, more than 100 officers from at least a score of agencies, and an equal number of news media personnel, had converged on a barren stretch of the highway through the Florida Everglades known as Alligator Alley.

"We had a very significant drill," said the Collier County sheriff, Don Hunter.

After their release, the three drove to a rest stop, where they said they were medical students heading here for training and denied making any comments or jokes about terrorism.

Meanwhile, relatives of one of the three men held a news conference at an Islamic center in Palos Hills, Ill., a Chicago suburb, to denounce Ms. Stone as a racist, and to decry law enforcement officials for having jumped to conclusions and overreacted.

The authorities did not release the three men's names today, but relatives and other officials identified two of the three as Ashmad Butt, of Orland Park, Ill., and Ayman A. Gheith, 27, of Worth, Ill. They and their companion apparently had completed at least two years of study at Ross University School of Medicine on the Caribbean island of Dominica. Law enforcement officials said one of the three men was a United States citizen by birth, another was a naturalized citizen and a third was a foreign national in the United States on a valid student visa.

The school's dean for clinical sciences, Dr. Nancy Perri, said tonight that she did not know which students were involved and was barred by privacy laws from divulging their names if she did.

The three students were on their way from Illinois in two cars to begin nine-week rotations on Monday at Larkin Community Hospital in South Miami, a 112-bed hospital where 6 to 12 Ross students receive training at a time, school officials said.

Mr. Gheith's sister, Hana Gheith, said she was also a student at Ross and had planned join him on Sunday.

"Unfortunately, they stopped in a restaurant in Georgia," Ms. Gheith said.

At the restaurant, a Shoney's off Interstate 75, the three were seated next to Ms. Stone and her son, who sat down to breakfast sometime around 11 a.m. on Thursday. Ms. Stone said she became alarmed at what she overheard from the next booth. She recounted in at least two broadcast interviews that she heard the three men "laughing about 9/11."

"At first, you know, I just went ahead with my breakfast," she said. "But they were laughing. And I have very good hearing." Recounting the snippets of conversation she picked up, Ms. Stone said she heard one of the men say, "If they mourn Sept. 11, what will they think about Sept. 13?"

A moment later, she said, one of the men asked, "Do you think that will bring it down?"

"Well, if that doesn't bring it down, I have contacts to bring it down," Ms. Stone said another man replied.

"To me, that meant they were planning to blow up something," Ms. Stone told a radio interviewer.

Ms. Stone, who said she was surprised to hear the three speaking in perfect American accents, said that when they left, she grabbed a crayon, followed them out and wrote down their license plate numbers and descriptions of their cars.

She then called the Georgia State Patrol to report what she had heard, and a nationwide alert was issued by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

By early this morning, the three men had reached the bend in I-75 east of Naples, Fla., where it heads east through the Everglades. But one of the two cars ran through a tollbooth, the authorities said, and a police officer chased the car. After eight miles, the officer pulled over the car, and the second vehicle stopped as well.

That stop, at nearly 2 a.m., triggered a tremendous law enforcement response, especially after bomb-sniffing dogs reacted as if both cars contained explosives. Exhaustive searches and even swabbing of surfaces in the cars, completed many hours later, showed no traces of explosive materials.

But officials insisted that the response had been so exaggerated at least in part because the three men did not cooperate with their interrogators, refusing to answer even basic questions and at times provided false information. The investigation was also extended because of confusion over the men's licenses, all of which proved in good order.

Shortly before the men were released, officials said that they were not being charged but that the matter would continue to be pursued as a possible hoax.

"We're looking into seeing what laws might be applicable," said John Bankhead, the director of public affairs for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. He added, "These people are going to learn a lesson."

Back in Chicago, where Mr. Gheith and his two companions had packed their belongings and left on Monday or Tuesday, relatives angrily accused Ms. Stone, law enforcement officials and the news media of acting rashly out of prejudice against Muslims.

"Me and my brother and my whole family are just as American as everyone else," said Abdallah Gheith, 18. "My father passed away three years ago, and since then my brother has taken care of the family. We have no source of income right now. We're waiting on him to finish medical school."

Tonight, Ms. Stone could not be reached for comment. Outside her home in Cartersville, where a tattered American flag adorns the front garden, her husband, Billy Ray Stone, shooed a reporter away, saying: "I think my wife did the right thing. That's what they ask people to do. These guys say it was a joke? It was a sick joke. I praise her."

Doing research? Search the archive for more than 500,000 articles: Today's News Past Week Past 30 Days Past 90 Days Past Year Since 1996
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/14/national/14THRE.html

And Peggy Noonan's response in the editorial page of the Wall Street Journal:
Hippocratic Oafs
Muslims demand sensitivity. They ought to show some too.
The Wall Street Journal: September 20, 2002
The story is over. It’s yesterday’s headline.

Everyone involved has begun to recede back into normal life insofar as they had normal lives. But before it becomes just another strange memory of 2002, a worthy wave goodbye.

Eunice Stone of Georgia is reportedly recovering from the chest pains that led her to check herself into a local hospital. The diagnosis was stress. The three young Muslim men with whom she had her now-famous encounter have reportedly announced they will not sue her, which is certainly gracious of them.

I wasn’t there, but I listened to everyone who spoke of it and watched the story closely. And it’s not hard to imagine what probably happened that day at Shoney’s.

Three young Mulsim men walk into the middle-class chain restaurant in a Georgia town. They are dressed in what customer Eunice Stone apparently understood to be Mideastern dress. As for Sikh, Saudi, whatever, she probably didn’t know. She probably knew as much about Muslim culture as the three young Muslim men knew about American Indian culture. Which is to say: probably nothing.

So they’re all in a small southern town, at a local chain restaurant, and when the three young Muslim males walk in, the locals—Southerners, Americans, neighbors—look at them. Maybe hard. Maybe up and down. Who are those guys?

And here we might ask: Who are the Southerners? They are likely, being Southerners, Americans who take a rather protective and even loving interest in their country. They are painfully aware that America had, just one year before, been brutally attacked by groups of people who were young Muslim males. They left 3,000 dead—innocent people, civilians, young people just starting out. It grieved a great country. It grieved them.

The Southerners know, for they keep a close eye on the news, that there are now in our country cells of young Muslim males loyal not to the United States but to the grievances and leadership of terror masters. They mean us ill. A bunch of men allegedly meeting this description were arrested last week in Buffalo, N.Y. More are said to be lying low in Michigan, Florida, New Jersey and other states. They move among us with confidence, taking advantage of the freedoms we guarantee, and taking advantage too of our cultural reluctance to jump to conclusions based on a person’s look or sex or ethnicity.

So the Southerners are eyeballing the young Muslim males. Maybe these guys are bad guys. They allow themselves to think this in part because one of the things Americans regret most since Sept. 11 2001 is their lack of suspicion. We’re all very live-and-let-live. Before Sept. 11, young Muslim males could tell someone in passing that soon those towers in New York will go boom. And fearing to offend, fearing to hurt the feelings of another person, we’d let it pass. We’d mind our business, give them the benefit of the doubt.

And now we wish we’d been less friendly, less trusting, less lazy or frightened. We wish we’d been skeptical. Hell, we’re the only nation on earth that is now nostalgic for paranoia.

But it’s the anniversary of Sept. 11, and now we’re trying to be alert, to look out for things.

So the Southerners eyeball the young Muslim males, and the young Muslim males feel the vibe.

And they don’t like it. They resent it.

Here they had two clear choices: Try to understand the emotions of the people around them—people who’ve been bruised, who’ve seen their country take a roundhouse right from history—and choose to be polite and friendly. The young Muslim males could smile and nod, for instance. This probably would have gone far in making progress between peoples, for one thing we’ve all read about the terrorists of Sept. 11 is that they never bothered to be nice. They tended to treat the Americans with whom they interacted with Sullen Dead Face—the inexpressive look young men put on so it will be hard for you to read them. Because they don’t want to be read. Because they want to convey an air of some menace.

They could have introduced themselves to the waitress, mentioned they’re on their way to medical school. They could have been quiet, minded their business, chatted softly.

But they didn’t bother to be nice. They wanted things on their terms.

So they took option two.

They sensed the questioning within the gazes, and they thought it would be amusing to show these stupid and uneducated Southern people, these dumb crackers, these yokels, who was boss. You think we’re bad guys? We’ll show you bad guys.

And so one of them or a few of them said the things Eunice Stone says she overheard. Talk about explosions, references to Sept. 11, talk about how Sept. 13 will be even bigger.

And Ms. Stone, alarmed, put herself on the line. She called the police and told them what she’d heard. She was interviewed by them repeatedly and exhaustively. She did everything she could to see that the young Muslim males were stopped.

The young Muslim males took off in their cars, driving south. They were stopped in Florida, where police closed a highway for an entire day as robots searched their car. The young Muslim men, the police said, were not entirely cooperative. They had attitude. Certainly in their interviews after they were released, after nothing was found in their cars, they displayed plenty of attitude. They were an unsympathetic bunch, in both ways. They showed scant sympathy for those they’d inconvenienced and alarmed, and they also inspired no sympathy for their plight. Later, a sister of one of the young men went on CNN to declare that this was the South, and you know how the South is: “It has a reputation of racism.”

I thought, as I watched this: It has a reputation for patriotism, too. It’s why Southern men and women join the armed forces in such high numbers, and why, if the sister were ever attacked by a terrorist, they’d risk their lives to save her sorry, sanctimonious little . . . Well, as I watched I got a little mad.

The South’s reputation for patriotism may be why Eunice Stone put herself on the line, and wound up overwhelmed by insults and unwanted fame, in the hospital, and ultimately being patronized—We won’t sue you—by the three young Muslim males.

But they were right about one thing, and it’s a big thing. This really does appear to have been a story about bigotry.

There was someone who was prejudiced, who made assumptions based on newspaper reports and urban legends; there was someone who didn’t like “the other” and assumed bad things about them; there was someone who was insensitive, lacking in compassion and aggressive.

And it wasn’t Eunice Stone. It was the three young Muslim males, the young would-be doctors, the college-educated men, who thought they’d have some fun with their social, intellectual and moral inferiors.

And now it’s over. The hospital they said they were on their way to visit for training told them to go elsewhere. Good hospital. Florida’s Gov. Jeb Bush privately called Ms. Stone and told her he thought she’d done the right thing. Good governor. The media, which covered the story wall to wall, did not indulge in a reflexive “poor minority person is abused by bullying whites” narrative. They questioned the men closely, and sometimes sharply. And Ms. Stone is said to be recuperating at home. May she recover fully, quickly and with the knowledge that the vast majority of Americans understand what she did and why, and appreciate it.

As for the three Muslim males, they plan to continue their studies. Perhaps they could take a course in bias reduction. It would be nice if they were assigned a paper that answers the question: “Why might a people who had just been attacked by young Muslim males feel a heightened sensitivity and awareness in the presence of young Muslim males? Discuss.”

Perhaps they could learn from Hippocrates, the father of medicine, whose advice to young doctors was timeless and is applicable here: “First, do no harm.”
So that's progress I guess, 13 years ago when Muslims are falsely accused of a bomb plot by racist as fuck southerners, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation says they are going to "looking into seeing what laws might be applicable" to " pursue as a possible hoax" in order to "teach these people a lesson" (to not be falsely accused, apparently), and the Wall Street Journal publishes an OP-ED by the queen shrill harpy bitch Peggy Noonan laying 100% of the blame at the falsely accused muslims feet.

Nowadays when a muslim is falsely accused of a bomb plot, the police dept backs off on their threat to charge the kid with a bomb hoax after an outcry on social media, and then he gets invited to the white house by the president.

Now if only racist southerners stop falsely accusing muslims of bomb plots, and LEOs could stop trying to charge them with bomb hoaxes when it turns out the muslims were falsely accused, we'd be golden!
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Asked if bias was involved, White House press secretary Josh Earnest said it was too early "to draw that direct assessment from here." But, he added, Mohamed's teachers had "failed him."

"This is an instance where you have people who have otherwise dedicated their lives to teach our children who failed in that effort, potentially because of some things in their conscience and the power of stereotypes," he said.
Teachers don't have the power to arrest students nor suspend them. Passing blame on them is a dodge by shitty Federal and State law makers who punish teachers for making decisions that turn out to be wrong, even if they aren't wrong.

You see something some racist fuck might think is a bomb. You're not a stupid fuck. So you do nothing. Except one of your kids tells his stupid fuck parents or the story passes around the office and an adminstrator (or another mouthy teacher) makes an issue out of it. Congratulations, you've just fucked your career up. Instead, to maintain the status quo, you report whatever stupid shit you find because you don't get called out for that.

Blaming teachers for this kind of bullshit is as dumb as walking a kid out of school in handcuffs for having more electronics knowledge than the average person. And people who say shit like "in this day and age" can go get fucked.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

More on the police response in this case, in case anyone thinks I'm being unfair to them:

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/communit ... school.ece
Police say they may yet charge him with making a hoax bomb — though they acknowledge he told everyone who would listen that it’s a clock.

They led Ahmed into a room where four other police officers waited. He said an officer he’d never seen before leaned back in his chair and remarked: “Yup. That’s who I thought it was.”

Ahmed felt suddenly conscious of his brown skin and his name — one of the most common in the Muslim religion. But the police kept him busy with questions.

The bell rang at least twice, he said, while the officers searched his belongings and questioned his intentions. The principal threatened to expel him if he didn’t make a written statement, he said.

“They were like, ‘So you tried to make a bomb?’” Ahmed said.

“I told them no, I was trying to make a clock.”

“He said, ‘It looks like a movie bomb to me.’”

Police skepticism

Ahmed never claimed his device was anything but a clock, said police spokesman James McLellan. And police have no reason to think it was dangerous. But officers still didn’t believe Ahmed was giving them the whole story.

“We have no information that he claimed it was a bomb,” McLellan said. “He kept maintaining it was a clock, but there was no broader explanation.”

Asked what broader explanation the boy could have given, the spokesman explained:

“It could reasonably be mistaken as a device if left in a bathroom or under a car. The concern was, what was this thing built for? Do we take him into custody?”

His family said the principal suspended him for three days.
What was he suspended for? Not bringing a bomb to school?
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

TheFeniX wrote:

Teachers don't have the power to arrest students nor suspend them. Passing blame on them is a dodge by shitty Federal and State law makers who punish teachers for making decisions that turn out to be wrong, even if they aren't wrong.

You see something some racist fuck might think is a bomb. You're not a stupid fuck. So you do nothing. Except one of your kids tells his stupid fuck parents or the story passes around the office and an adminstrator (or another mouthy teacher) makes an issue out of it. Congratulations, you've just fucked your career up. Instead, to maintain the status quo, you report whatever stupid shit you find because you don't get called out for that.

Blaming teachers for this kind of bullshit is as dumb as walking a kid out of school in handcuffs for having more electronics knowledge than the average person. And people who say shit like "in this day and age" can go get fucked.
To most people who aren't teachers, principals and administrators count as teachers.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I agree that this is zero tolerance bullshit run amok, but you can't reasonably deny that it's also anti- Islamic cowardice.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

This "clock bomb" seems more like something that was inspired by Wile E. Coyote than anything that actually resembles an improvised explosive device, which of course requires a Nokia mobile phone.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Grumman wrote:I would not assume the school's stupidity was motivated by bigotry, when plain old zero tolerance idiocy would suffice. Last time some idiot thought a circuit board was a bomb the owner looked like this, and this kid got suspended for possession of a gun-shaped piece of pop tart.

What you are missing is that this is Irving Texas. The DFW metroplex has one of the largest (gross numbers) muslim populations in the country (which puts the per capita percentage even higher in the rankings), and the local white christian evangelicals mistreat them on a regular basis up to and including picketing the local mosques for no god damned reason.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

This isn't especially new. An extremely similar thing happened to me decades ago, pre 9/11, when I got in trouble for a 'bomb hoax' because I built a radio in 8th grade. I had to talk to the principal and local police officer (small town).

What's new is the extra-phobia in this case because the kid was of an islamic family. The scare in my day was because of fear of Colombine-type incidents. Now it's islamophobia.
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

Channel72 wrote:This "clock bomb" seems more like something that was inspired by Wile E. Coyote than anything that actually resembles an improvised explosive device, which of course requires a Nokia mobile phone.
No, you are demonstrating (On purpose I know) exactly why someone might mistake something not a bomb as one; they have no idea what one actually looks like. Its probably akin to explaining to the gun averse who have never seen one outside of TV why guns don't work that way and why "assault rifle" is not actually a thing.

I bet any kid who walked in with the same device would get the same treatment. Once the chain starts nobody wants to stop it because the second they take on that responsibility and are wrong they are toast. We only like people disregarding the infinitesimal odds of a bad outcome when it works out. Hell, even when it does work out some process warrior might burn you anyway. Who are YOU to make that decision?! That person is probably their boss, bosses boss or bosses bosses boss because they are all fucked if something goes wrong so they might as well have a say in the decision.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Patroklos wrote:
Channel72 wrote:This "clock bomb" seems more like something that was inspired by Wile E. Coyote than anything that actually resembles an improvised explosive device, which of course requires a Nokia mobile phone.
No, you are demonstrating (On purpose I know) exactly why someone might mistake something not a bomb as one; they have no idea what one actually looks like. Its probably akin to explaining to the gun averse who have never seen one outside of TV why guns don't work that way and why "assault rifle" is not actually a thing.

I bet any kid who walked in with the same device would get the same treatment. Once the chain starts nobody wants to stop it because the second they take on that responsibility and are wrong they are toast. We only like people disregarding the infinitesimal odds of a bad outcome when it works out. Hell, even when it does work out some process warrior might burn you anyway. Who are YOU to make that decision?! That person is probably their boss, bosses boss or bosses bosses boss because they are all fucked if something goes wrong so they might as well have a say in the decision.
Checking it out and verifying is one thing. However, when you realize that device that looks like a bomb is actually a clock, like the kid said, then that's the end and they probably should have apologized. However, they did not. They kept that wheel spinning.

Also, in order to form probable cause for the charge of building a hoax/fake device you would need some kind of evidence that supported that the kid intended on using it to make people think it was a bomb. So far I haven't heard of any evidence that supports this. Everything I have heard says otherwise.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Assuming innocent intent on the part of this child, and I see no reason any reasonable person should think otherwise, everyone involved in this incident should be fired. The teacher who freaked out and called the police; the principal for writing the letter and doling out the suspension; the cops who arrested him as well as the idiot chief who thinks more charges may be forthcoming. All of these fuckwits. That's what I'd like to see in a perfect world. Then again, it wouldn't be necessary if it was a perfect world.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

These cops appear to be either fear mongering assholes or scared little pussies. The teachers portray a lack of civil courage that unfortunately is generally present in our societies.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The only real teacher-failure here is that an engineering teacher appears to have reacted to the device as a might-be-bomb. When casual inspection would presumably indicate that the thing is as explosive as a bucket of gravel.

If Ahmed had come to school carrying a bucket of gravel, I doubt anyone would have tried to pass off the bucket of gravel as a HOAX BOMB because THERE MIGHT BE A BOMB inside the gravel.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

I can't find it in me to fault a teacher for reacting to a possible bomb threat, though nothing in the description sounds particularly bomb-like and I'd expect an engineering teacher to know better. That this wasn't resolved in fifteen minutes is probably on the administration or the police. I would expect every adult involved in this fiasco to apologize to Ahmed for ever suspecting such a thing, not try and press charges for making something that idiots might mistake for a bomb, despite his repeated assurances.

Am obscurely amused that "Why shouldn't I take my gun into a bar" Texas is over-concerned with a kid's electronics project. Fear of what they don't understand, or just a separate law for brown people?

Ahh, but I'm probably being much too jaded. The media attention should prompt them to drop this like the hot potato it is, and even if it somehow ended up in front of a judge he'd most likely smack the cops with a rolled-up newspaper.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Ahriman238 wrote:I can't find it in me to fault a teacher for reacting to a possible bomb threat, though nothing in the description sounds particularly bomb-like and I'd expect an engineering teacher to know better. That this wasn't resolved in fifteen minutes is probably on the administration or the police. I would expect every adult involved in this fiasco to apologize to Ahmed for ever suspecting such a thing, not try and press charges for making something that idiots might mistake for a bomb, despite his repeated assurances.
Ahriman238 I'll again repeat that said engineering teacher despite saying he believed it was a bomb.... In no way treated it like it was a bomb. You don't treat suspicious packages like Christmas presents nor do you handle or move them or not evacuate the area. Despite this teacher saying "bomb" he failed to do any of the things you do when you find something you think might be a bomb.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Flagg wrote:I agree that this is zero tolerance bullshit run amok, but you can't reasonably deny that it's also anti- Islamic cowardice.
This is my stance on it, as well. There probably would have been some drama regardless since it was a suitcase with a bunch of wires in it, but if he were a white kid, then once it was established to just be a homemade clock then that would have been the end of it.
Ahriman238 wrote:I can't find it in me to fault a teacher for reacting to a possible bomb threat, though nothing in the description sounds particularly bomb-like and I'd expect an engineering teacher to know better.
Unless the reporting of this has been incredibly off the mark, the engineering teacher is not the problem here. According to the article in the OP, it was his English teacher who claimed it was a bomb. From what I've read, the engineering teacher complimented Ahmed on it, but recommended that he not bring it out in front of the other teachers (possibly because he realized that someone would overreact and this would happen).
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

"We live in an age where you can't take things like that to school," Boyd said.
An age where you can't take a fucking clock to school?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Borgholio wrote:An age where you can't take a fucking clock to school?
A box with wires coming out of it is certainly sufficiently bomb-like to warrant concern, as the engineering teacher obviously recognised. It's the reaction to the suspect item that's idiotic, not the suspicion itself.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Civil War Man wrote:
Flagg wrote:I agree that this is zero tolerance bullshit run amok, but you can't reasonably deny that it's also anti- Islamic cowardice.
This is my stance on it, as well. There probably would have been some drama regardless since it was a suitcase with a bunch of wires in it, but if he were a white kid, then once it was established to just be a homemade clock then that would have been the end of it.
While I don't deny that their could be racism in this, I can't help but feel that you are equating prejudice against Islam with racism and that that isn't accurate. This is not an attempt to excuse prejudice against Muslims, which I find intellectually and morally contemptible. Its simply a distinction that seems important because race and religion are objectively not the same thing, and sometimes I see them being treated as if they are. An equation I actually find racist, as it insinuates that our beliefs are a racial characteristic, something inherent to a race rather than something that can vary and change from one individual to another.

Edit: And yes, I do know that prejudice against Muslims and racism can overlap. But the two are fundamentally distinct, so, nitpicky as it may seem, I insist on treating them as such.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

A box with wires coming out of it is certainly sufficiently bomb-like to warrant concern, as the engineering teacher obviously recognised. It's the reaction to the suspect item that's idiotic, not the suspicion itself.
A box with wires coming out of it could be anything. There really was no grounds for suspicion because it didn't look nor act like a bomb. Curiosity, sure, but that's all. The engineering teacher probably knew just how fucking stupid the other teachers were and that's why he didn't want it shown around. The Police are saying that he should have been more forthcoming (as if accurately describing it as a clock is somehow not good enough), and that he shouldn't have brought it to school. I can't remember ever having seen someone be advised to not take a science project to school.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Aether
Youngling

Post by Aether »

There has been an image of a "real suitcase bomb" floating around to justify the reaction. Anyone know what exactly it is (see below)? It looks like some kind of network testing equipment.

Because the image is really big:

http://www.trunews.com/wp-content/uploa ... itcase.jpg