Steve Jobs Dead

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Steve Jobs Dead

Post by TimothyC »

Breaking on CNN. Apple Confirms. Article to come.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Re: Steve Jobs Dead

Post by Big Orange »

The Big C strikes again this year and takes away another famous person too early, here's The Wall Street Journal article:
Steven P. Jobs, the Apple Inc. chairman and co-founder who pioneered the personal computer industry and changed the way people think about technology, died Wednesday.

"Steve's brilliance, passion and energy were the source of countless innovations that enrich and improve all of our lives," Apple said in a statement. "The world is immeasurably better because of Steve."

His family, in a separate statement, said Mr. Jobs "died peacefully today surrounded by his family...We know many of you will mourn with us, and we ask that you respect our privacy during our time of grief."

During his more than three decade-long career, Mr. Jobs transformed Silicon Valley as he helped turn the once sleepy expanse of fruit orchards into the technology industry's innovation center. In addition to laying the groundwork for the modern high-tech industry alongside other pioneers like Microsoft Corp. co-founder Bill Gates and Oracle Corp. founder Larry Ellison, Mr. Jobs proved the appeal of well-designed intuitive products over the sheer power of technology itself and shifted the way consumers interact with technology in an increasingly digital world.
Link
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Oh shit. That was unexpected. I didn't even know he was ill.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

It is sad to see him go but I fully expected that he'd die soon.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

The 1MB Plus was my first computer when I was 4 years old. I have always had Macintoshes exclusively since, with a dash of GNU/Linux these days. Throughout, I have always been happy to be a Mac user.

Steve was not a perfect man (witness his screwing of Woz out of the Breakout design fee, or his notorious verbal abuse of just about everyone), but he was most definitely a great man, whatever you take that to mean. And I am glad that at the end, he was able to leave with Apple on top, not just of the computer industry, but of all industry.

RIP.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Bene watchign a Live Podcast on my iPad right now, They've been playing speeches he gave, commencement speeches, Its really incredible.. The man was a real genius and he passed all too soon from us.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

He aint a Mac no more. That inappropriate humor aside, he was truly a visionary and died a long slow death only the worst of us should have to endure, and he wasn't one of those people. So RIP.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

While I never liked Mac computers, I am quite a fan of the iPod and of Steve Jobs' work. In many ways he revolutionized the electronics industry and the way the world views electronics. The loss of him is truly a loss for modern civilization.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

I will always remember the wonder of childhood in the mid 1980's and using my Apple IIe for the first time. And while the smartphone I use to type this post is from a competitor's platform, I doubt it would be possible without the innovative thinking of Steve Jobs. Rest in peace sir.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Oh shit. That was unexpected. I didn't even know he was ill.
He had been ill for some years now, not only the pancreatic cancer, but also had a liver transplant.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

FSTargetDrone wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:Oh shit. That was unexpected. I didn't even know he was ill.
He had been ill for some years now, not only the pancreatic cancer, but also had a liver transplant.
Really? Wow. This is what you get for not watching the news or buying papers while at uni I guess.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Count Chocula
Jedi Council Member
Location: You've asked me for my sacrifice, and I am winter born

Post by Count Chocula »

He was one hell of an idea man and sales man. Requiescat en pace, Mr. Jobs.
The only people who were safe were the legion; after one of their AT-ATs got painted dayglo pink with scarlet go faster stripes, they identified the perpetrators and exacted revenge. - Eleventh Century Remnant

Lord Monckton is my heeerrooo

"Yeah, well, fuck them. I never said I liked the Moros." - Shroom Man 777
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

Rest in Peace Mr Jobs.

You've earned it, and have helped to usher in a newer and brighter future for humanity.

God Speed, and good luck.
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

Troll ignored; I hope (as with others who pass so soon after they quit) that Jobs didn't stay in the business so long that he missed out on important end-of-life experiences and tasks on his way out.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

I don't use many Apple products (my MacBook Pro was given to me by a cousin who used to work there and I installed XP on the damn thing) but I tip my hat to him for whoring out to Congress the least out of his competitors.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

No fan of his (product included), bias on the medical issue, and he wasn't a great philanthropist so not getting some of the sombre coverage it's getting now. Not breaking news to me, G4tv hosts almost in tears and I think that's a bit much. At the same time he didn't deserve to die a prolonged death even if his wealth\lifestyle might have been involved, still way too early for anyone.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Article illuminating some of what workers go through to bring us apple products.

Now you could argue that Steve Jobs wasn't the one who was running those plants day-to-day, but he's the CEO of the corporation so some of that at least is on him.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Destructionator XIII's contributions to this thread and related discussion have been split to the HOS. Lets have a little more common sense, or even a little empathy in a thread like this.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Stofsk wrote:Article illuminating some of what workers go through to bring us apple products.

Now you could argue that Steve Jobs wasn't the one who was running those plants day-to-day, but he's the CEO of the corporation so some of that at least is on him.
Pancreatic cancer isn't a particularly fun way to go, so if you believe in karma then the score's settled.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

If anything, Jobs was a genius marketer. I was never a fan of Apple, but some of Jobs' ideas I deeply respect.
Sir Sirius
Sith Devotee
Location: 6 hr 45 min R.A. and -16 degrees 43 minutes declination

Post by Sir Sirius »

Good riddance to bad rubbish.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

What's shitting me are the people canonising him for all his amazing work - it's not like he built the iPod from scratch himself. How many engineers, designers and others were in that process and no doubt had far more to do with it than Mr Jobs?

Calling him "our Da Vinci" makes me want to nut shot folks.
Archaic`
Jedi Council Member

Post by Archaic` »

Meanwhile, Wikileaks makes itself look like a giant prick by drawing everyone's attention to proported Steve Jobs medical records alledging he was HIV positive.
Veni Vidi Castravi Illegitimos
Thinktank
Redshirt

Post by Thinktank »

Well sadly, the night has one less point of brightness.

"There is no reason not to follow your heart. Stay hungry. Stay foolish."
Steve Jobs (1955-2011)
"The fruit is rotten. The Serpent's eyes shine..."
Don Henley: The Garden of Allah
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

weemadando wrote:What's shitting me are the people canonising him for all his amazing work - it's not like he built the iPod from scratch himself. How many engineers, designers and others were in that process and no doubt had far more to do with it than Mr Jobs?

Calling him "our Da Vinci" makes me want to nut shot folks.
Dude, nobody makes electronics "on his/her own" anymore. What would you expect? "A pioneer Jobs spent all his childhood in a wooden shack operating steam powered equipment as he assembled the first iPod" type of story? Those days are past us, that's XIX century stuff.

Let's be honest: iPod isn't a goddamn invention. Mp3 players existed well before them. It isn't particularly well streamlined too, the iTunes is possibly the most shitty way of transferring music to a bloody flash memory storage (you can simply copy the files on most other players, but on iPods you have to manually rebuild the list for the fucker to work - which is a pain in the ass in my wife's Shuffle). There are Mp3 players that are cheaper and better than iPods, but for some reason they aren't nearly as popular. It's like bitching about iPhone 1 crappines in relation to other smartphones of the era.

iPods were about design and marketing. They were sold as a "way of life". If it was only the assorted bunch of engineers and technicians who created iPod, then any company could do it. But it was Jobs' company which did it.

Im not defending him, he had his faults, But blaming him that he "didnt invent iPod himself"... c'mon wee, be more creative.