another round of TERRIBLE POLITICAL CARTOONS

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Kodiak
Jedi Master

Re: another round of TERRIBLE POLITICAL CARTOONS

Post by Kodiak »

Terralthra wrote:Dude, it's a Chick tract.
There's so many and they're all so bad that there's previously been a moratorium on Chick Tracts.
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Oh for fucksakes, is revolutionist even a word?
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

The moratorium is in place in SLAM, and it's generally enforced boardwide. Big Orange, we know all about Chick Tracts - you don't have to post any more of them.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Pelranius: I've seen "revolutionist" as a fairly common mistranslation of "revolutionary" in Russian/Slavic language speakers. That one crops up a LOT when Russian originated ESL speakers write. "Parachutist", "tankist", "Shootist", etc.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Duchess: But I'm pretty sure Chick hasn't been to any Slavic countries (at least not long enough to start picking up language idiosyncrasies) and I doubt he's likely to hang out with immigrants that much either.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Pelranius wrote:Duchess: But I'm pretty sure Chick hasn't been to any Slavic countries (at least not long enough to start picking up language idiosyncrasies) and I doubt he's likely to hang out with immigrants that much either.
Especially not the ones who would be from former Soviet-bloc nations.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

however shootist was in american vernacular back before the civil war, as a term for "Hired Gun", or someone who taught people to use firearms. This hit stride in the 1850s when the miners and the minorities started hiring mercs to help them defend themselves, or to fight their own internal wars against others (Chinese fueds in California being a prime example)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Dalton wrote:The moratorium is in place in SLAM, and it's generally enforced boardwide. Big Orange, we know all about Chick Tracts - you don't have to post any more of them.
Oops, now I know how inflammatory Chick is and I've deleted the offending Chick Tract panels from my pictures account. Anyway back on topic:

A bit old hat but a pretty paranoid cartoon none the less.

Isn't it a pretty dumb cartoon when we can run cars on ethanol and electric engines are improving all the time?
'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

Terralthra wrote:Dude, it's a Chick tract.
Yes they are exquisite, though it is a bit heavy handed I do believe that this is one of the longest running and most poignant parodies of certain types of Fundamentalist literature and propaganda. Honestly there are times when you could almost believe that Jack Chick is serious!
Norseman's Fics the SD archive of my fics.
Alphawolf55
Jedi Knight

Post by Alphawolf55 »

Actually the second isn't all together horrible because they're kind of right, just believing we can will do jack shit. Real action has to be taken, which isn't.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Alphawolf55 wrote:Actually the second isn't all together horrible because they're kind of right, just believing we can will do jack shit. Real action has to be taken, which isn't.
But why the oil spill background? What does this add to the cartoon? The point is sound, but the symbology seems to go "Obama is a fool and BP is helping him sell his fantasy". Or some other message, but if that's so, it's really bad at conveying it.

So it's a terrible cartoon, even if it's trying to sell a good point.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Big Orange
Emperor's Hand

Post by Big Orange »

Hmmmmm, this is a "good" bad one:

Racist and anti-Semitic:

'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...' - Dr. Evil

'Secondly, I don't see why "income inequality" is a bad thing. Poverty is not an injustice. There is no such thing as causes for poverty, only causes for wealth. Poverty is not a wrong, but taking money from those who have it to equalize incomes is basically theft, which is wrong.' - Typical Randroid

'I think it's gone a little bit wrong.' - The Doctor
Razorgeist
Youngling

Post by Razorgeist »

Where were these "Big Gummyment bad" idiots when Bush was in office exanding things! Serioulsy how do you have this much of a cognitive disconnect from reality.
"You have to believe in God before you can say there are things that man was not meant to know.
I don't think there's anything man wasn't meant to know. There are just some stupid things that people shouldn't do." - David Cronenberg

"Doesn't Rush Limbaugh remind you of one of those gay guys that like to lie in a tub while other guys pee on him?" - Bill Hicks
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Here are a few recent ones:
Following the lines that there is NOTHING that Obama can't do that wont send conservatives into a hissy fit, it seems his appearance on "The View" has met with a fresh chores of "OMG President is a wishy washy rockstar!"

This one I find indeed "TERRIBLE" Saying Amnesty is bad is a standard GOP talking point, so why have Obama say it?
Is it simply trying to make it as if "Obama would be MAD to ever say it?"
And whats with the "Congress" saying "welcome to the club? Or is this jusy a lame way of saying Congress too is "Mad"

"Ken Catalino" "artistic" style really grinds on me, this guy cant draw worth shit.
And it doesn't help that once again he is directly linking Obama to Drug traffickers and Terrorists.
What gets to me about it is that all he "needs" to say to make the cartoon effective, is have them replaced with "illegal immigrants"
The obvious message is Obama wanted to overturn Arizona's law cause he's bad and wants bad people to cross the border.

But by putting in the over the top Drug Lord and standard stereotypical Terrorist, it takes it to a ridiculous level that seems par for the course for him.

Honorable mention to "Mike Lester" for also yet again, making racist remarks while working in a Birther argument.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Image
This one I find indeed "TERRIBLE" Saying Amnesty is bad is a standard GOP talking point, so why have Obama say it?
Is it simply trying to make it as if "Obama would be MAD to ever say it?"
And whats with the "Congress" saying "welcome to the club? Or is this jusy a lame way of saying Congress too is "Mad"
You've never seen Alice in Wonderland? What a horrible, empty childhood you must have had... :cry:
Honorable mention to "Mike Lester" for also yet again, making racist remarks while working in a Birther argument.
What the fuck? You yourself posted this picture on the last page, so don't tell me you "must have missed it".
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Of course I have seen and read Alice and Wonderland and know about the Mad Hatter and the March Hare, so piss of Dom.
The point is that one would think if you are representing people as those figures, that what they say would be "Mad"
If the Cartoon had Obama saying, "I think Amnesty is a wonderful idea!" and congress saying, "I agree!" That would make sense from a Republican standpoint.
You could in fact use it for any numbers of positions the conservatives wish to mock.

But instead Obama is repeating a Conservative talking point, that Amnesty is BAD, the only possible reason I can think of to portray Obama as the Mad Hatter is to mockingly hint that 'Obama would be Mad to say this!' And honestly I don't think Ken Catalino is smart enough for such a Jibe.

And also, I've noticed the only times you have ever posted in response to something of mine is to bitch about it.
Since I have been keeping my spelling in check I guess you needed to find something else to be pissy about?
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

mmmm on today's menu we have racist and tasteless

keeping it classy :roll:
darthdavid
Pathetic Attention Whore

Post by darthdavid »

Not gonna lie, the last one did make me laugh (though it was more of a holy shit, they actually went there, nervous chuckle than an actual 'this is funny in the way its creator intended' laugh).
Tornado Ninja Fan
Redshirt

Post by Tornado Ninja Fan »

It looks like the cartoonists admits that some muslims were killed in the WTC. IIRC there were some conspiracy nuts who denied that.
Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

Tornado Ninja Fan wrote:It looks like the cartoonists admits that some muslims were killed in the WTC. IIRC there were some conspiracy nuts who denied that.
I'd heard some of them fling around that every single Jew working in the Towers called out sick that day. I'd be honestly surprised if some of them hadn't said the same thing about Muslims.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

you know all of ths page;s cartoons look like excellent examples of projectionism.

drill baby drill, for the peter pan oil slick
the tea party definatly belongs in wonderland, sarah palin could be their alice and ther queen of hearts.
you know if you gave that wolf a Goldman Sachs table, took away his hammer and sickle, and put the arm sticking out of his mouth as "Middle Calss" it would be true.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

As Prop8 is struck down the right respond in predictable fashion.

Also two predictable ones about the New York Mosque.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Zed
Padawan Learner

Post by Zed »

The first one makes a valid moral argument, but is plain boring. The second one is spot on, and the third one makes a rather good point as well.
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

Zed wrote:The first one makes a valid moral argument, but is plain boring. The second one is spot on, and the third one makes a rather good point as well.
Care to explain?
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Zed
Padawan Learner

Post by Zed »

As to the first one: I don't see a genuine moral argument to be made against polyamory; most of the moral arguments defending gay marriage can be extended to polyamorous marriages. It only becomes problematic in a legislative sense when one realizes the various practical issues involved, e.g. what happens if one person out of a marriage chooses to marry another, what are the risks involved when criminal cartels engage in marriages in order to obtain certain rights in court, et cetera.

The second one is a valid satire of the fact that a right to abortion, gay marriage and socialized medicine is read into a document that is hundreds of years old and the authors of which had no knowledge of any of these things. It's an anachronistic reading of the document used to legitimize contemporary positions.

The third one does satirize a certain subclass of the liberal intelligentsia that puts on excessive gloves when dealing with Islam - for instance, there's the fact that many American newspapers refused to print the Danish Muhammad cartoons although they wrote about them in great amounts.