Artists Pressured To Change Skin Color Of Students

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Setesh
Jedi Master

Artists Pressured To Change Skin Color Of Students

Post by Setesh »

Artists Pressured To Change Skin Color Of Students In Arizona Mural
A group of artists has been asked to lighten the faces of children depicted in a giant public mural at a Prescott school.

The project's leader says he was ordered to lighten the skin tone after complaints about the children's ethnicity. But the school's principal says the request was only to fix shading and had nothing to do with political pressure.

The "Go on Green" mural, which covers two walls outside Miller Valley Elementary School, was designed to advertise a campaign for environmentally friendly transportation. It features portraits of four children, with a Hispanic boy as the dominant figure.

R.E. Wall, director of Prescott's Downtown Mural Project, said he and other artists were subjected to slurs from motorists as they worked on the painting at one of the town's most prominent intersections.

"We consistently, for two months, had people shouting racial slander from their cars," Wall said. "We had children painting with us, and here come these yells of (epithet for Blacks) and (epithet for Hispanics)."

Wall said school Principal Jeff Lane pressed him to make the children's faces appear happier and brighter.

"It is being lightened because of the controversy," Wall said, adding that "they want it to look like the children are coming into light."

Lane said that he received only three complaints about the mural and that his request for a touch-up had nothing to do with political pressure. "We asked them to fix the shading on the children's faces," he said. "We were looking at it from an artistic view. Nothing at all to do with race."

City Councilman Steve Blair spearheaded a public campaign on his talk show at Prescott radio station KYCA-AM (1490) to remove the mural.

In a broadcast last month, according to the Daily Courier in Prescott, Blair mistakenly complained that the most prominent child in the painting is African-American, saying: "To depict the biggest picture on the building as a Black person, I would have to ask the question: Why?"

Blair could not be reached for comment Thursday. In audio archives of his radio show, Blair discusses the mural. He insists the controversy isn't about racism but says the mural is intended to create racial controversy where none existed before.

"Personally, I think it's pathetic," he says. "You have changed the ambience of that building to excite some kind of diversity power struggle that doesn't exist in Prescott, Arizona. And I'm ashamed of that."

Faces in the mural were drawn from photographs of children enrolled at Miller Valley, a K-5 school with 380 students and the highest ethnic mix of any school in Prescott. Wall said thousands of town residents volunteered or donated to the project, the fourth in a series of community murals painted by a group of artists known as the "Mural Mice."

The public art, funded by a $5,000 state grant through the Prescott Alternative Transportation Center, was selected by school students and faculty.

"The parents and children love it," Lane said.
From here
Words fail me.
"Nobody ever inferred from the multiple infirmities of Windows that Bill Gates was infinitely benevolent, omniscient, and able to fix everything. " Argument against god's perfection.

My Snow's art portfolio.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Re: Artists Pressured To Change Skin Color Of Students

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Damn I forgot to post this, I saw this in the Arizona Republic today and couldn't believe it.
Except I guess I can. "Prescott" or more precise "Prescott Valley" is hicksvill for Arizona, you can't spit without hitting a church there.

The whole thing is such a farce. This really encapsulates it:
Blair could not be reached for comment Thursday. In audio archives of his radio show, Blair discusses the mural. He insists the controversy isn't about racism but says the mural is intended to create racial controversy where none existed before.

"Personally, I think it's pathetic," he says. "You have changed the ambience of that building to excite some kind of diversity power struggle that doesn't exist in Prescott, Arizona. And I'm ashamed of that."
I LOVE people like this "I'm not racist, I think its trying to MAKE other people racist against it!" I've heard this argument made countless time by bigoted right wing people, the case of Liberals trying to "Stir up a controversy" It is so sickening. The sad thing is America at large will prolly never hear about this... Really we should E-mail this to Keith Olbermann or someone.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Stark wrote:Does he mean the mural creates a 'power struggle' by having visible minorities? :D
Pretty much... I caught his whole Radio address online and he basically agures:

"BY showing minorities, it inflames minorities ot be angry at white people, and makes white people uncomfortable about things."
Really that is what his argument boils down to. The REALLY sad thing is a lot of people In Prescott Valley agree with him.
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Hilariously in AU even fast food joints have minority-focused marketing displays.

OH NOES THE ASIAN GIRL ON THE SIGN INFLAMES ME! :lol:
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

I think you mean engorges you :P
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Racists in Arizona? Never.

Seriously, is the media just paying closer attention to New-Germany Circa 1942 or are the racist cunts who run that shithole just having a field day?
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I'm not sure what's worse. The racist douchebags tormenting the school or the fact that the school administration are such pussies that they'd cave in.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Setesh
Jedi Master

Post by Setesh »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:The whole thing is such a farce. This really encapsulates it:

I LOVE people like this "I'm not racist, I think its trying to MAKE other people racist against it!" I've heard this argument made countless time by bigoted right wing people, the case of Liberals trying to "Stir up a controversy" It is so sickening. The sad thing is America at large will prolly never hear about this... Really we should E-mail this to Keith Olbermann or someone.
The best part is this 'nonexistant racial controversy' had people driving by yelling 'niggers' and 'spics' at elementary school kids helping paint the damn thing long before any skintones got painted onto it.
"Nobody ever inferred from the multiple infirmities of Windows that Bill Gates was infinitely benevolent, omniscient, and able to fix everything. " Argument against god's perfection.

My Snow's art portfolio.
Temujin
Jedi Master

Post by Temujin »

I lost all surprise as soon as I saw it was Arizona. The way this shit keeps going I have to say I'm ashamed that once upon a time I actually though the American Southwest might be a decent place to live. I'll stick to the liberal East Coast now thank you.
Mr. Harley: Your impatience is quite understandable.
Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry... I wish it were otherwise.

"I do know that for the sympathy of one living being, I would make peace with all. I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe.
If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other." – Frankenstein's Creature on the glacier[/size]
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Temujin wrote:I lost all surprise as soon as I saw it was Arizona. The way this shit keeps going I have to say I'm ashamed that once upon a time I actually though the American Southwest might be a decent place to live. I'll stick to the liberal East Coast now thank you.
To be fair, if you are in Tucson or alot of Phoenix (excluding some of the cities, like Mesa) or a place like Flagstaff or Sedona, any mural you see is either going to be prominently hispanic or have as many minorities as they can fit in there. Heck, I saw such a mural when I came through Flag the other day on the way back from Vegas. This, however, is Prescott, which is very much a shitty rural community that's been their since the 1860s and hasn't changed THAT much since.

Arizona is a weird mix of extremely conservative areas, extremely liberal ones, and then to a third side, ones that are prominently hispanic and thus don't really fall into those categories. Flagstaff is alot like Oregon, except it doesn't rain so much. It's liberal, with lots of artists and college students from NAU milling about. Sedona is full of rich hippies who like spirits and UFOs, just south of Flag. Bisbee, near the bottom of the state, is a weird little artist colony now, where you may well get from an alley "Psst... you with the camera, want some espresso?" (this happened to me). Parts of Tucson are alright as a parts of Phoenix.

On the other hand, alot of rural Arizona is full of insular folk who's family arrived there a century and a half ago and they never left. There are other parts of the Phoenix area (Mesa, Scottsdale, Globe), which are conservative. Mesa in particularly is where all the Latter Day Saints live. Prescott is another one of those places.

If you like the liberal East Coast, there are certainly alot of places in the South West you'd like alot.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Cecelia5578
Jedi Knight

Post by Cecelia5578 »

When I was at Ft. Huachuca, I would regain my sanity by going to Tucson every weekend. I really liked it, other than the fact that its too hot (I'm from Oregon) but it was a nice liberal oasis after leaving the suffocating liberal enclave of Ft. Hucachuca/Sierra Vista.
Davis-Monthan is obviously a large part of the city, but it felt more like UofA liberal college town than a typical military town.
Lurking everywhere since 1998
Temujin
Jedi Master

Post by Temujin »

Gil Hamilton wrote:
Temujin wrote:I lost all surprise as soon as I saw it was Arizona. The way this shit keeps going I have to say I'm ashamed that once upon a time I actually though the American Southwest might be a decent place to live. I'll stick to the liberal East Coast now thank you.
To be fair, if you are in Tucson or alot of Phoenix (excluding some of the cities, like Mesa) or a place like Flagstaff or Sedona, any mural you see is either going to be prominently hispanic or have as many minorities as they can fit in there. Heck, I saw such a mural when I came through Flag the other day on the way back from Vegas. This, however, is Prescott, which is very much a shitty rural community that's been their since the 1860s and hasn't changed THAT much since.

Arizona is a weird mix of extremely conservative areas, extremely liberal ones, and then to a third side, ones that are prominently hispanic and thus don't really fall into those categories. Flagstaff is alot like Oregon, except it doesn't rain so much. It's liberal, with lots of artists and college students from NAU milling about. Sedona is full of rich hippies who like spirits and UFOs, just south of Flag. Bisbee, near the bottom of the state, is a weird little artist colony now, where you may well get from an alley "Psst... you with the camera, want some espresso?" (this happened to me). Parts of Tucson are alright as a parts of Phoenix.

On the other hand, alot of rural Arizona is full of insular folk who's family arrived there a century and a half ago and they never left. There are other parts of the Phoenix area (Mesa, Scottsdale, Globe), which are conservative. Mesa in particularly is where all the Latter Day Saints live. Prescott is another one of those places.

If you like the liberal East Coast, there are certainly alot of places in the South West you'd like alot.
I've heard some snippets of things like that over the years, but it seems to be drowned out by the ever increasing conservative hate mongering that increasingly seems to come from the Southwest. I figured perhaps I was wrong and it was primarily just Southern California (and perhaps Vegas) that had a predominantly liberal population.

I also remember hearing that Rob Halford of Judas Priest, who resides in Phoenix, moved there partially because there's an exceptionally large homosexual community there. Is there any truth to that?
Mr. Harley: Your impatience is quite understandable.
Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry... I wish it were otherwise.

"I do know that for the sympathy of one living being, I would make peace with all. I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe.
If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other." – Frankenstein's Creature on the glacier[/size]
Alphawolf55
Jedi Knight

Post by Alphawolf55 »

What do you expect? Old people are generally more conservative, old people love Arizona, and there are more old people then ever.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

The American Southwest also includes fairly liberal New Mexico, so please don't judge them all by the lowest denominator. And it has already been mentioned that Arizona has a higher percentage of retirees, grumpy old farts who vote GOP and want to return to the "good ol' days" when "them darkies knew their place".
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Oscar Wilde
Padawan Learner

Post by Oscar Wilde »

I posted this story on another site.
This was a reply.
The people that want to create and celebrate a world without white people are the real racists.
I hate stupid people so much.
It's funny how every Cracked reader seems to change occupation in between reading each article, so that they always end up being irrefutable field experts in whatever topic is at hand.-Dirty_Bastard, cracked.com commentator
Ilya Muromets
Jedi Knight

Post by Ilya Muromets »

Oscar Wilde wrote:I posted this story on another site.
This was a reply.
The people that want to create and celebrate a world without white people are the real racists.
I hate stupid people so much.
Standard projection. A lot of the White supremacy racist types actually want to create and celebrate a society composed solely of lovely, lovely white people without all those unsightly non-whites cluttering things up. Naturally, they assume that all the "lesser races" share that same racial supremacy drive and actively try to pursue it any chance they get.

EDIT: Some clarification

"Like I said, I don't care about human suffering as long as it doesn't affect me."
----LionElJonson, admitting to being a sociopathic little shit

"Please educate yourself before posting more."
----Sarevok, who really should have taken his own advice
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

LINK

A bit late, but the saga comes to an end.
Mural gripe costs Prescott official radio job

by Dennis Wagner - Jun. 9, 2010 12:00 AM
The Arizona Republic

A Prescott city councilman who publicly ridiculed a mural depicting minority students at a local elementary school has been fired from his radio talk-show job and now faces a recall campaign.

And the mural artists, who last week were ordered to lighten the features of the minority students, have been told to restore the original tone of the children's faces.

The moves come just days after an Arizona Republic story about the mural went viral, generating worldwide media coverage and criticism.

The "Go on Green" mural on two walls outside Miller Valley Elementary School depicts four students promoting environmentally friendly transportation. A Hispanic boy is the most prominent in the painting.

Councilman Steve Blair complained last week that the minorities in the mural were creating racial controversy where none existed before.

At a news conference Tuesday, Blair declared that he would not quit his elected office and denied being a racist.

"I have absolutely no intention - no intention - to voluntarily step down from this council seat," Blair said in a speech recorded by his former radio station, KYCA-AM.

The mural is one of several public works created by so-called Mural Mice, members of the Prescott Downtown Mural Project. They used students from Miller Valley as models and enlisted volunteers to paint over brick walls. During the work, project director R.E. Wall said, some motorists spewed racial slurs at artists and children. The school is at one of Prescott's busiest intersections.

After Blair's criticism, Miller Valley Principal Jeff Lane and Kevin Knapp, superintendent of the Prescott Unified School District, directed the artists to "lighten" the skin color of students, explaining that they wanted brighter visages. That work began last week.

Over the weekend, however, hundreds of Prescott residents rallied in support of the mural and in protest against Blair. At that gathering, Lane said, he and Knapp reversed their earlier decision and apologized to the crowd. "They (artists) are going back to the way this was originally," Lane said.

Meanwhile, Barbara Braswell, a mother of four mixed-race children, is leading a campaign to recall Blair. She said she needs to collect 2,822 signatures to put a recall on the ballot. She said she hopes to accomplish that quickly enough so that an election can be held in November.

"Steve Blair has embarrassed himself and embarrassed the city of Prescott with racist comments," she said. "He's gotta go."

Blair was attending a City Council meeting Tuesday afternoon and could not be reached for comment.

At his news conference, Blair admitted making a mistake by failing to investigate the purpose or meaning of the mural before speaking out. He complained that neither artists nor school officials took the initiative to educate him. "That might have helped clue me," he said. "They assumed because I asked the question (about the painting) that I was a racist and a bigot."

Lou Silverstein, owner of KYCA radio, confirmed Tuesday that he fired Blair from a six-year position because the talk-show host's words "could be interpreted as racist."

Silverstein said Blair was disappointed but accepted the decision.

"Maybe it could be a learning experience," Silverstein said. "Steve Blair is not a racist; he's a good guy. But, sometimes, he just puts his foot in his mouth."

Blair is a Prescott High School graduate who operates two businesses in town and has been a resident for 53 years, according to a biography on the city's website. He has served on the council six years.

KYCA reported that, during Blair's news conference, supporters cheered his decision not to resign and defended his free-speech rights.

Former Mayor Jack Wilson created a Facebook page "Calling for the resignation of Steve Blair."

"You can call it racial insensitivity or bigotry. I just call it racism," Wilson said. "Our reputation was sullied in the entire world. . . . There are 43,000 people in Prescott, and most of us don't believe what Steve Blair does."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... z0qr9E3sge
So apparently not ALL of Prescott Valley is populated by bigoted hicks. With all the idiocy going on in my state right not, it is good to see at least ONE "happy ending"
Read "One Wrong Turn"!