another round of TERRIBLE POLITICAL CARTOONS

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Re: another round of TERRIBLE POLITICAL CARTOONS

Post by SirNitram »

I see the blatant imposition of motives as fairly dishonest, forgive me.

As for melting down, mmmhmmm. If you believe that, I only caps idiotic Conservative whining, mocking the fact that they are, at the gristle, tantrums. Certainly the talking point Obama is doing harm to the troops by waiting to give a decision is one of their nonsense claims.

As for the cartoon, I clearly got two mixed up. I was thinking of the batman-phones ringing. Which still doesn't get to much on that comic which I failed, I admit, to see. That's not too bad, but certainly silly. It's dragging up the old stuff and inventing new stuff, pretending it's what's driving criticism of the WH policy, when it's more that 9 years wars with no end in sight and continual upping of troop counts, to an enemy not there(A-Q), is.. Familiar. And not promising.

So. There's my criticism of the correct cartoon I was pointed to. I apologize for getting it wrong, and any impresion I was melting down(Sorry folks, wasn't.).
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Expect a SHITLOAD of cartoons about Obama getting the Prize this weekend.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

[quote="CaptainChewbacca"]Expect a SHITLOAD of cartoons about Obama getting the Prize this weekend.[/quote]
And then one more two weeks after the fact from Mallard Fillmore.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Well, this is a classic example of a terrible cartoon
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Expect a SHITLOAD of cartoons about Obama getting the Prize this weekend.
As you predicted...

so thts THAT sillyness taken care of... And finally..
Mr Rameriz sim ply can NOT seem to get enough of Obam and Afghanistan. theres 4 cartoons of his on the last few pages and heres two more.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Duckie
Sith Marauder

Post by Duckie »

I like how that nobel prize graph cartoon implies the dollar was doing fine until the very moment Obama took office, as if somehow the devaluation of the dollar is his fault and not an ongoing process started generations ago.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

The lines in the graph actually cross, so I think it's more that he's saying the dollar was doing fine until the traitors Democrats took control of the Legislature.

Also, notice the big dip on the Nobel Peace Prize line in 2007 when it was given to Al Gore. At least you can't fault him for inconsistency. :P
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

Once again... how many of these cartoons are actually terrible, and therefore belong in this thread, and how many are only annoying to supporters of Obama?

The "pick a prize from the Cracker Jack box" strip may not have been hilarious, but it certainly wasn't wrong. Obama himself would tell you that the Nobel came as a complete surprise, and has acknowledged that he's done nothing to earn it.
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Especially since the first one compared Obama to Jesus.
Axis Kast
Vympel's Bitch

Post by Axis Kast »

I wasn't addressing the comics collectively. I asked "how many;" I did not say, "All of these are ineligible, according to the rules by which this thread is governed."

The article is using the image of the Three Kings paying homage to a random child to emphasize that the Noble Committee gave the award to somebody whose perceived promise is as yet completely unfulfilled. It is not a reference to Jesus.

And if it were a reference to Jesus, then so what? Obama is a media sensation. While I do think his election deserves in particular to be celebrated, and considered special beyond all others, there is a point at which the Obama aisle at the grocery store, Obama sugar cane cola, and the constant focus on how awesome his wife is, just becomes grating and cheesy.
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

The article is using the image of the Three Kings paying homage to a random child to emphasize that the Noble Committee gave the award to somebody whose perceived promise is as yet completely unfulfilled. It is not a reference to Jesus.
The Three Kings are giving gifts to a child in a manger. Of course its a goddamn reference to Christ.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I'm going to agree that Obama has in fact done nothing to earn the Peace Prize. In that respect, the cartoons are correct.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

I'm not disagreeing with you Kast- I just think the idea that a cartoon comparing Obama to Jesus is supposed to be an insult is laughable.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Jupp,
is pretty accurate.

And Image somewhat reflects my own reaction - altough it was more "um, what, are they serious" rather that laughter, but still...
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Yeah, I actually agree: none of these cartoons are really funny, but they aren't terrible, either.

Well, okay: except for the one comparing McChrystal with Obama. What?
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Hillary
Jedi Master

Post by Hillary »

Samuel wrote:I'm not disagreeing with you Kast- I just think the idea that a cartoon comparing Obama to Jesus is supposed to be an insult is laughable.
It isn't doing that. It's saying two things

1) That giving the prize to Obama now is like giving it to a random baby - both may achieve great things, but they haven't done anything thus far.

2) That the Nobel Prize committee are such fuckwits, they would have given the prize to the wrong baby in the manger (unless "Timmy" is Hebrew for "Jesus", of course).

We'll gloss over the fact that the three kings did give prizes to the baby Jesus who had, at that point, achieved nothing. :D
What is WRONG with you people
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Hillary wrote: We'll gloss over the fact that the three kings did give prizes to the baby Jesus who had, at that point, achieved nothing. :D
He was born alive and didn't die of exposure during the first night. Quite an achievemnt in those times and circumstances :D
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Ilya Muromets
Jedi Knight

Post by Ilya Muromets »

Y'know, funny thing is, the most annoying one for me is that one with the jet. Maybe it's because I don't really have string feelings about the whole Obama getting the Nobel prize thing, but the strongest reaction for me about this recent bunch is "That is one bloated-ass-fucker of an F-18."

"Like I said, I don't care about human suffering as long as it doesn't affect me."
----LionElJonson, admitting to being a sociopathic little shit

"Please educate yourself before posting more."
----Sarevok, who really should have taken his own advice
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

J thought it ment Obama is Goose from Top Gun.....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Raxmei
Rabid Monkey

Post by Raxmei »

ImageBreaking: Nobel Committee Announces Another Peace Prize Winner

Cracker Jacks joke with bonus points for pretending not to know what "coon" means.
I prepared Explosive Runes today.
Pablo Sanchez
Commissar

Post by Pablo Sanchez »

There's something willfully ignorant in talking about how it's dumb for the Nobel Committee to give Obama the Peace Prize when he hasn't done anything. Crack open a history book, guys, the Nobel Prize has been a joke for a long time. I mean, they gave the award to Henry Kissinger in 1973. Matt Taibbi had a pretty good take on the Peace Prize as far as I see it.

I would estimate that what Barack Obama has achieved simply by being the person who he is, encapsulating the things that he represents, and in spite of that becoming the duly elected President of the United States (e.g. the most powerful man in the world), he's probably achieved as much as anybody who's won the fucking thing in the whole time it's been given out, while striving for other goals entirely. The fact is that Obama is biracial, an American, the son of an African, a man who chose to identify as African-American, a man who has direct familial experience with Islamic culture, a man who relates to his wife on a basis of equality and mutual respect, etc. etc. etc. One could go on and one, but the upshot is that Obama, in his person, represents world culture and egalitarian principles, and in this representation he became the most powerful person on Earth, somebody who is daily known and referenced everywhere in the world. He has not yet achieved specific and concrete goals but the fact that someone like his is POTUS is an event of enormous significance, especially considering whose heels he followed on, in that post.
"I am gravely disappointed. Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war."
--The Lord Humungus
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

I believe Tom Lehrer declared that political satire became obsolete when Henry Kissinger won the Nobel Peace Prize.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

Raxmei wrote:*SNIP IMAGE*

Cracker Jacks joke with bonus points for pretending not to know what "coon" means.
I'm skeptical of implied racism this time. Raccoons are notorious for getting into garbage/trash/snacks and using "coon" in a racial context isn't very mainstream for bigots. If it were a monkey or something, that would be different.
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

Kodiak wrote:
Raxmei wrote:*SNIP IMAGE*

I'm skeptical of implied racism this time. Raccoons are notorious for getting into garbage/trash/snacks and using "coon" in a racial context isn't very mainstream for bigots. If it were a monkey or something, that would be different.
Is there anything indicating that the box came out of the trash? Would such an implication add anything to the point, that the award might as well have been pulled from a Cracker-Jack box? If it isn't racist, it's a rather strange choice and a huge coincidence.

That's the point of so-called "dog-whistle" symbolism. It should be just subtle enough that lot's of folks won't even get it, and the racists can claim innocence. It's just like the "Great White Hope" comment. At this point, I don't see the reason in giving them the benefit of the doubt.
"Can you eat quarks? Can you spread them on your bed when the cold weather comes?" -Bernard Levin

"Sir: Mr. Bernard Levin asks 'Can you eat quarks?' I estimate that he eats 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 quarks a day...Yours faithfully..." -Sir Alan Cottrell

Elohim's loving mercy: "Hey, you, don't turn around. WTF! I said DON'T tur- you know what, you're a pillar of salt now. Bitch." - an anonymous commenter