Marines uncover large Iraqi rebel bunker complex

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Chmee
Sith Marauder

Marines uncover large Iraqi rebel bunker complex

Post by Chmee »

June 5, 2005
U.S. Uncovers Vast Hide-Out of Iraqi Rebels
By EDWARD WONG

BAGHDAD, Iraq, June 4 - American marines have discovered an elaborate series of underground bunkers used recently by insurgents in central Iraq, with heavy weapons, a kitchen and fresh food, furnished living quarters, showers and even a working air-conditioner, the military said Saturday.

The bunkers were built into an old rock quarry north of the town of Karma, an insurgent stronghold in Anbar Province that lies near the city of Falluja. The bunker system is 558 feet by 902 feet, nearly equal to a quarter of the Empire State Building's office space, making it the largest underground insurgent hide-out to be discovered in at least the past year, if not during the entire war, said Capt. Jeffrey S. Pool, a spokesman for the Second Marine Division.

The military said the bunkers were discovered Thursday around 5 p.m. as part of continuing anti-insurgency operations being conducted in Anbar, a center of the Sunni Arab resistance and an arid province that stretches to Iraq's western border. In the past three days, troops with the Second Marine Division found more than 50 caches of weapons and ammunition in the province. Twelve were discovered in the immediate area of the rock quarry, Captain Pool said in an e-mail interview.

"Marines were out patrolling and looking for weapons caches, when out in the middle of the desert they see a lone building," he said. "They went to go and check it out. In one room there was a large, chest-style electric freezer. The marines moved it and found the hidden entrance to the underground quarry system."

"I can tell you that it is the largest underground system discovered in at least the last year," he added.

Near the building, marines also found evidence of a rifle-training range, including many casings from assault-rifle rounds.

No one was in the bunkers at the time of the raid, Captain Pool said. But the fresh food in the kitchen indicated that insurgents had been there recently. The underground lair had been in use for some time, he said, and was built from one subsection of the quarry.

In one part of the hide-out, troops discovered machine guns, mortars, rockets, artillery rounds, black uniforms, ski masks, compasses, log books, a video camera, night-vision goggles and fully charged satellite phones, Captain Pool said.

The marines were still uncovering "new finds" on Saturday night, the captain said, making it too early to tell exactly what the bunkers were used for or who inhabited them.

The insurgents had apparently installed the creature comforts of home within the hide-out. The complex included four fully furnished living spaces, two showers and an air-conditioner, the military said. Temperatures in the deserts of Anbar can approach a scorching 130 degrees in the summertime.

Decades ago, Saddam Hussein and his aides began building an extensive series of underground bunkers scattered around Iraq. Mr. Hussein hired German engineers in the 1980's to work on these lairs, which included tunnels and chambers beneath palaces in Baghdad and Mosul. It is not known, however, whether the quarry bunker is part of that network.
Link
[img=right]http://www.tallguyz.com/imagelib/chmeesig.jpg[/img]My guess might be excellent or it might be crummy, but
Mrs. Spade didn't raise any children dippy enough to
make guesses in front of a district attorney,
an assistant district attorney, and a stenographer

Sam Spade, "The Maltese Falcon"

Operation Freedom Fry
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I'm sure the Marines on patrol decided to test the AC to make sure it was what it looked like and did a recon on the kitchen to see how the insurgents were eating; while they were waiting for backup and command to get there and secure the instalation.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Knife wrote:I'm sure the Marines on patrol decided to test the AC to make sure it was what it looked like and did a recon on the kitchen to see how the insurgents were eating; while they were waiting for backup and command to get there and secure the instalation.
And make sure the showers worked. 8)
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Chmee
Sith Marauder

Post by Chmee »

Nothing tests a fully-charged satellite phone like a few calls to the folks back home .....
[img=right]http://www.tallguyz.com/imagelib/chmeesig.jpg[/img]My guess might be excellent or it might be crummy, but
Mrs. Spade didn't raise any children dippy enough to
make guesses in front of a district attorney,
an assistant district attorney, and a stenographer

Sam Spade, "The Maltese Falcon"

Operation Freedom Fry
Mitth`raw`nuruodo
Harry Potter on Acid

Post by Mitth`raw`nuruodo »

I wouldn't doubt that the soliders who found that stuff "liberated" some of it, and hell.. they probably deserve it.

But what I wanna know is; when was that stuff last used by the Iraqis? It doesn't seem like anyone was in there when they found it.. :?
<< SEGNOR: Grand Admiral of the Gnomish Hordes >< GALE: Equal Opportunity Lover >< SDNet Keeper of the Lore >< Great Dolphin Conspiracy >>
My Audioscrobbler

Cult of Vin Diesel - When you mix Vin Diesel with a strong acid you get salt water.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Hidden carefully and camouflaged near the town of Karma, huh? Must've been a "Karma Chameleon".

Huhuhuh.... yeah.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Mitth`raw`nuruodo wrote:I wouldn't doubt that the soliders who found that stuff "liberated" some of it, and hell.. they probably deserve it.

But what I wanna know is; when was that stuff last used by the Iraqis? It doesn't seem like anyone was in there when they found it.. :?
Probably within the last few weeks, if they found fresh food in the kitchen.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
The Guid
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Guid »

Coyote wrote:Hidden carefully and camouflaged near the town of Karma, huh? Must've been a "Karma Chameleon".

Huhuhuh.... yeah.
The rebels probably come and go... come and goooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Sorry. I don't know what came over me. I must have Boy George syndrome.
Self declared winner of The Posedown Thread
EBC - "What? What?" "Tally Ho!" Division
I wrote this:The British Avengers fanfiction

"Yeah, funny how that works - you giving hungry people food they vote for you. You give homeless people shelter they vote for you. You give the unemployed a job they vote for you.

Maybe if the conservative ideology put a roof overhead, food on the table, and employed the downtrodden the poor folk would be all for it, too". - Broomstick