Star Trek warship designs

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

There's a third choice:
Vader wanted 3-dimensional images of his captains to communicate with because he finds that more comfortable and he
DOESN'T GIVE A SHIT IF THAT MEANS SACRIFICING A SHIP!
Supermod
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

*sigh the wall climbs higher, ISDs use subspace communcation between Systems and Holo-Net for Long Range, BOTH systems are blocked when the shields are up Captian Brillant because it is Cannon that SW shields block everything from Kinetic Attacks to Energy which as any fool who managed to stumble his way through a single year of High School should know is what comuncation is based on it only changes form but it does not disrupt the basic fact that All so called Wireless communcation relys on turning the information an energy state(Be it FTL or not) and then transmiting it, ISDs can use other ships with that part of their shielding off as repeaters if they wanted through hard-line through shield communcation or drop a shield sideing temproarly to communcate but the basic fact remains is that ISD's Shields stop everything when they are up and running from Radation and Radio Waves to large chuncks of Rock but it did not have its ships up to begin with this is what the novelistation holds up and the on-screen visuals hold up to

Look at ROTJ, HDS has some pics I belive as does Wong of a TIE Smashing full into a ISD Tower exploding and causing no damage

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton

Post by Guest »

That is really intelligent.... sacrificing a ship in order to see a 3D image of the captain. :roll: If the Empire wastes its resources so foolishly how can you ever hope to conquer the entire Milky Way galaxy! It is more reasonable to assume that the SD had its shields up and still couldn't resist the asteroid. What is worse, extreme stupidity or weaker equipment? Take your pick.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Uhhh... Commander, did you even read what we were saying? All forms of communication are blocked by shields. In order to communicate, one must lower the shields.

Also, the capture of the Falcon was worth more to Darth Vader than all five ISD's in Death Squadron, and possibly as much as all of Death Squadron put together. He took a risk in going into the asteroid belt, but he accepted that as being reasonable. Thus, it was not a sacrifice. Also, the ship was not destroyed by the impact.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
starfury
Jedi Master

Post by starfury »

That is really intelligent.... sacrificing a ship in order to see a 3D image of the captain. If the Empire wastes its resources so foolishly how can you ever hope to conquer the entire Milky Way galaxy! It is more reasonable to assume that the SD had its shields up and still couldn't resist the asteroid. What is worse, extreme stupidity or weaker equipment? Take your pick.
and the Klingons dropping their guns and using viking tactics are are so intelligent :lol:
"a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic"-Joseph Stalin

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"-Helmuth Von Moltke

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.

Post by Guest »

I never said Star Trek was more intelligent. At least they don't have to drop shields to send messages. :lol:
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

*Sigh he builds the wall yet higher

Do you know Gravity kills people? Besides the obvious falls and the like after 100 years you body can't take much more of it and you die through things like Heart-Faulier or broken bones thats one of those

SCIENTIFC LAWS
Tell me captian Obvious should they delibratly build Shields that can be percided by Energy on Certain Wavelengths so you can communcate with your shields
up

Whats to stop somone
FROM BULIDING A WEAPON THAT USES THOSE SAME WAVELENGHTS TO ATTACK YOU RENEDERING YOUR SHIELDS USELESS, OH WAIT I KNOW WHO DOES THAT STAR-TREK WITH THIER SHIELD MODULATION WITH HAS THE SHIELD FLICKERING ON AND OFF THOUSANDS OF TIME A SECOND, AND THEY CAN BARLEY TAKE A 200 MEGATON NUKE!

Let me say this very simple for you, The purpose of Shields is to protect the ship from harm, WHY Delebratly build vunarabiltes into your Shielding so your not protected from certian things hmmm?

Its called not doing dumb things when you build it
This aurgment is pointless, We know that SW ships field guns at least of the 6MT Range and Go up to 200GT as of twenty years before ROTJ. We know those same ships can take half an hour of bombarment from weaponry of that magnitude

Your acutal suggestion that they delebratley desgined shielding that can only take 100 Mega-tons of(Rough Estmate) of Kinetic damage but can take roughly 300 Teratons of Energy Damage then why the Hell Genius do every single SW ship mount tons of Energy Weaponry and Not a Realy Big Stick to take advantage of those very weak shields you claim

Why?

Please Enlighten me as if we assumed you where right that they would desgin ships and weapons specficly to attack the enemy when he's strongest

I guess thats why they arm Stormys with large foam sticks to prevent them from acutal hurting anyone :roll:

Turn it around the other way and you can see how increably, IDIOTIC your claim is

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton

Post by Guest »

The ISD may not have been completely destroyed, but how effective could it have been without the ENTIRE BRIDGE SECTION! If you look at the scene closely it is obviously not there after the impact.
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

Commander LeoRo wrote:The ISD may not have been completely destroyed, but how effective could it have been without the ENTIRE BRIDGE SECTION! If you look at the scene closely it is obviously not there after the impact.

What, you mean look like this http://supreme_sheridan.tripod.com/aotc_ics_vs_tesb.html#damage
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Commander LeoRo wrote:The ISD may not have been completely destroyed, but how effective could it have been without the ENTIRE BRIDGE SECTION! If you look at the scene closely it is obviously not there after the impact.
Okay, a couple things. First of all, if you look at the picture closely, you should be able to see that the bridge section is still there. It's tough, but if you have a good picture then you will be able to tell. Second, even if the bridge was destroyed then the ISD would still be reasonably effective. When Executor's bridge was destroyed, it did cause a temporary loss of control, but had the Executor not plunged into the DSII, it would have survived to continue in the fight. ISD's have similarly redundant control abilities, with the second bridge being a part of engineering.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Post by Guest »

Where have we seen in the movies/screen plays/ movie novelizations/ that the SD's have a separate or auxiliary bridge that they can switch to? I don't buy for a second that a SD can operate just as efficiently or even effectively without its entire bridge. If SD's do have the capability to switch bridge control to engineering I would like to know about it.
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

Commander LeoRo wrote:Where have we seen in the movies/screen plays/ movie novelizations/ that the SD's have a separate or auxiliary bridge that they can switch to? I don't buy for a second that a SD can operate just as efficiently or even effectively without its entire bridge. If SD's do have the capability to switch bridge control to engineering I would like to know about it.

SSDs have it. Presumably so do ISDs.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Can we have it both ways, the fleet was in the astroid field for awhile, and the ISD took various hits to the bridge section before the VFX shot of the astroid that got passed the shields(if they were still up) and hit the conning tower.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Commander LeoRo wrote:Where have we seen in the movies/screen plays/ movie novelizations/ that the SD's have a separate or auxiliary bridge that they can switch to? I don't buy for a second that a SD can operate just as efficiently or even effectively without its entire bridge. If SD's do have the capability to switch bridge control to engineering I would like to know about it.
Probably how the Captain of the damaged ISD gained a look of shock/surprise, instead of explosion and death. But you know, that's just applying logic to the situation.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Huh. I always thought that the captain just cut the transmission and that dazed look was him shielding his eyes from whatever pyrotechnic effects the collision of shield and asteroid caused.

Apparently not.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Commander LeoRo wrote:That is really intelligent.... sacrificing a ship in order to see a 3D image of the captain. :roll: If the Empire wastes its resources so foolishly how can you ever hope to conquer the entire Milky Way galaxy! It is more reasonable to assume that the SD had its shields up and still couldn't resist the asteroid. What is worse, extreme stupidity or weaker equipment? Take your pick.

200 GT

Go away troll
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
starfury
Jedi Master

Post by starfury »

[/quote]quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Commander LeoRo:
That is really intelligent.... sacrificing a ship in order to see a 3D image of the captain. If the Empire wastes its resources so foolishly how can you ever hope to conquer the entire Milky Way galaxy! It is more reasonable to assume that the SD had its shields up and still couldn't resist the asteroid. What is worse, extreme stupidity or weaker equipment? Take your pick.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

200 GT

Go away troll

Nerconlord, It seems that we have a found yet another village idiot :?
"a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic"-Joseph Stalin

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"-Helmuth Von Moltke

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

No ISD model was damaged to make ESB. Thus it is quite impossible for the bridge to have been shown blown away on screen. The fact that the explosion effect masks it does not mean it was destroyed. Blasts can obscure many things which are undamaged.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Oh, no, not another canon monger who refuses to accept EU evidence, even when it does not even remotely contradict anything from canon. It appears as though DarkStar has found another disciple.

[Best Yoda impersonation] Always two, there are. A master, and an apprentice.

Doomriser
Padawan Learner

Post by Doomriser »

ROFL Master Of Ossus

Anyway, ST shields don't block communications like SW ones do because ST shields don't really even filter out weapons fire. Consoles explode while shields are still above 50% or so. The more effecient SW shields block out more.

It doesn't even matter anyway as it is questionable whether a ST ship would be able to damage a Star Destroyer that was broadcasting with shields down thanks to neutronium-impregnated hull claddings that can easily withstand thermonuclear explosions at point-blank range [ref: AOTC: ICS] while ST capital ships barely have low-TW weaponry if that.
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Well, at least ISD consoles don't spontneously explode.

And, not all the ships had their bridges damaged from an asteroid. As for resources, a galaxy which can build a moon-sized battle station in less than a year can surely compensate for a lost ISD. And who says the ISD was "lost"?
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Falkenhorst
Jedi Knight

Post by Falkenhorst »

Here's my take on what starfleet should have done in the way of warships:

after wolf-359, had I been in charge of starfleet, I would have refitted recently decommissioned ships with remote control gear or reprogrammed their computers with seek and destroy algorithms, and then removed most of their internal volume and replaced it with antimatter explosives. Then the next time the borg showed up, I would deploy a dozen or so of these ships to attack the cube, attacking in waves and from multiple vectors to ensure hits on the borg. Would this have worked?

Basically build a load of antimatter armed ramships with enough explosive power to waste a cube (and it would only be ONE cube due to borg stupidity)

Thoughts on this?
Falkenhorst

BOTM 15.Nov.02

Post #114 @ Fri Oct 18, 2002 4:44 pm

"I've had all that I wanted of a lot of things I've had
And a lot more than I needed of some things that turned out bad"

-Johnny Cash, "Wanted Man"

UPF: CARNIVAL OF RETARDS
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

You gys don't frequent the PSW area very often, do you? LeoRo is a classic Village idiot. It's just nobody has gotten around to giving him the title yet. He has a partner named aaron2 who parrots evferything he says. It's very convienent. You get the stupidity in stereo form without any extra hardware.

And now on a toatlly unrelated topic: Can I get a little fucking credit? I was the one who proved the shields were down via holonet. I posted it on SB. I defended it. I typed out all the quotes and fought back. Then it finally stared getting picked up and got posted in the hate mail page, and came here with the "Great Migration". Now it is popping up on independent site. So can I just get a little credit? Please? It's not like I got any for saying ISDs were powerd by Hypermatter back before ICS came out.[/url]
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

I elect that both Commander LeoRo and Aaron2 be our latest entrees to the title of Village Idiot.

They deserve it. Not because they don't agree with us, but because they are stupid.

And because Aaron2 is nothing more than a toadie (and I hate toadies.)
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Perhaps Aaron 2 and Leo Roy is either one and the same or like roomates at college, I find it odd that as soon as one posts the other appears right behind him to back him up.
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2