Fun in Africa (Primer to African Fighting)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Darth Wong wrote: But I'm speaking of the adults; I think that whole segment would be funnier without the kids in it.
Agreed. A nasty reminder of how things are done in other parts of the world. Poor kids.
Dalton wrote: And without the racist commentary.
Sorry, Rob, but can you point out to me which caption lines were "racist"? I noticed a lot of poking fun of "gangsta"-looking poses and such, but that goes with criticizing the horribly incompetent weapons-handling.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
The Guid
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Guid »

Were it anyone else on this board with Shep I might consider myself being oversensitive. But I can't help but feel that any racism was intentional.
Self declared winner of The Posedown Thread
EBC - "What? What?" "Tally Ho!" Division
I wrote this:The British Avengers fanfiction

"Yeah, funny how that works - you giving hungry people food they vote for you. You give homeless people shelter they vote for you. You give the unemployed a job they vote for you.

Maybe if the conservative ideology put a roof overhead, food on the table, and employed the downtrodden the poor folk would be all for it, too". - Broomstick
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

The Guid wrote:Were it anyone else on this board with Shep I might consider myself being oversensitive. But I can't help but feel that any racism was intentional.
Considering that Shep wasn't the one writing those descriptions.....

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

The Nigerian General in Charge of Nigerian Peacekeepers in Liberia arrives and finds the local population very interested in him.

Yes, let's all run together holding a fifteen foot linked belt!

The Black Diamond Street Gang.

WHEEEEE! Look at me!

Einhander Snowman has been placed in charge of liberian camouflage 1.

Einy strikes again!

Yo Nigga!

This is my personal Favorite!

HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

None of the captions struck me as being racist, but the original thread on AR15 is full of racist douchebags, including some idiot who cites "The Bell Curve" as an explanation for the savagery of African warfare.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Steve wrote:
Dalton wrote:And without the racist commentary.
Sorry, Rob, but can you point out to me which caption lines were "racist"? I noticed a lot of poking fun of "gangsta"-looking poses and such, but that goes with criticizing the horribly incompetent weapons-handling.
I'm sorry, but I do not necessarily agree with that viewpoint. Some of the captions struck me as not just poking fun at the "gangsta" subculture but at the race of the people themselves. Maybe I'm being oversensitive, but that's just my opinion.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Dalton wrote:
Steve wrote:
Dalton wrote:And without the racist commentary.
I'm sorry, but I do not necessarily agree with that viewpoint. Some of the captions struck me as not just poking fun at the "gangsta" subculture but at the race of the people themselves. Maybe I'm being oversensitive, but that's just my opinion.
Could you give an example?

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

fgalkin wrote:Could you give an example?
A couple, lest I be branded a "bleeding-heart liberal".

"Yo Yo YO, Fo' Shizzle"
"Here we have Liberian militia demonstrating the "Soul Train" method of combat assault."
"Won't stop a bullet, but sure looks Boo-yaa!"
"It is often used to indicate that "Da Brizzles over there"."

It's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
To Absent Friends

fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Dalton wrote:
fgalkin wrote:Could you give an example?
A couple, lest I be branded a "bleeding-heart liberal".

"Yo Yo YO, Fo' Shizzle"
"Here we have Liberian militia demonstrating the "Soul Train" method of combat assault."
"Won't stop a bullet, but sure looks Boo-yaa!"
"It is often used to indicate that "Da Brizzles over there"."

It's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
All of which make fun of the "gangsta" culture. There is nothing in those captions that wouldn't be applicable, to, say, a suburban wigger acting the same way.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

fgalkin wrote:All of which make fun of the "gangsta" culture. There is nothing in those captions that wouldn't be applicable, to, say, a suburban wigger acting the same way.
Rather than drag this out into a pointless "what they said"/"what they meant" debate I'll just concede and withdraw.
To Absent Friends

Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

And the thread is STILL going... :lol:

Think about it this way -- there is a pic series on the ARFCOM thread that is indeed sobering, watching a loyalist soldier cry as his friend's just died in the flatbed... and then salute when his commander tells him to stop sapping morale by grieving. I did not treat that lightly.

I must note though that there were posters on that thread who said that "it's culture, not race!" Does mocking the 'culture' define racism?

It's not like race can explain the wigs in Shep's second post, nor the contrast between these "soldiers," the Nigerian general and (in the original thread, accompanying the general) a real -- albeit Nigerian* -- soldier...

* In reference to the "bad military portrayals" thread
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Edward Yee wrote:Think about it this way -- there is a pic series on the ARFCOM thread that is indeed sobering, watching a loyalist soldier cry as his friend's just died in the flatbed... and then salute when his commander tells him to stop sapping morale by grieving. I did not treat that lightly.
You forgot the photo in that sequence where said soldier has a gun pointed at his head by his commander.

"Yo shizzle, stop sapping morale, or I blow your head off shizzle!"
It's not like race can explain the wigs in Shep's second post, nor the contrast between these "soldiers," the Nigerian general and (in the original thread, accompanying the general) a real -- albeit Nigerian* -- soldier...
Well, the majority of Africa is still tribalistic; it's literally your tribe against the other tribe, and as in tribal warfare, a lot of emphasis is placed on "fake" warfare in the same way warring tribes would show up and wave their spears at each other meanacingly to try and bluff the other side into leaving or giving up. Only now we've got AK-47s instead of spears, hence how they hold their guns and fire them, they're not trying to actually hit their targets, but look dangerous and impressive.
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

What makes the captions racist is that they project African-American concepts on Africans. People in Africa generally don't say "fo' shizzle", listen to hip-hop, or love gangsta culture, as far as I know. Lumping people from completely alien cultures together with a group of people from our own culture simply because their skin color is the same is very racist.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Arthur_Tuxedo wrote:What makes the captions racist is that they project African-American concepts on Africans. People in Africa generally don't say "fo' shizzle", listen to hip-hop, or love gangsta culture, as far as I know. Lumping people from completely alien cultures together with a group of people from our own culture simply because their skin color is the same is very racist.
Actually, American "gangsta" styles are very popular media imports to Africa, and it is part of pop-culture in Africa to emulate African-American stereotypes.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

Man, this thread is both depressing yet morbidly humorous at the same time. I've been feeling that way throughout this December, so I guess it just adds to my bizarro-Christmas spirit. =/
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Not to mention the fact that about 50% of the new African immigrants here in Hobart at the moment below the age of 25 seem to have adopted "gangsta" culture. Despite the fact that most of them are happily living in middle class suburbs in FUCKING TASMANIA.
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

As I see it...

Post by Edward Yee »

So basically we have one 'culture' superimposed onto another, that the other picked up, and therefore arguably could be said to be part of that second culture?

weemadando, OMFG...
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Beowulf
The Patrician

Re: As I see it...

Post by Beowulf »

Edward Yee wrote:So basically we have one 'culture' superimposed onto another, that the other picked up, and therefore arguably could be said to be part of that second culture?
Basically, yes.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Shep, that was funny until the pictures of the child soldiers showed up. I hate those people so much for putting kids in that position. That being said, the opening of the montage was hilarious. Let's hope it all comes to an end soon.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

From TNO on AR-15.com:

There are four basic tactics common to all African troops. Occasionally, there will be minor regional variations on this, but they aren't a very inventive people as a rule.

1. Run towards the enemy in a mob.
2. Run away from the enemy in a mob.
3. Hide behind concealment or cover (usually the former) and hold their rifles over their heads while wildly and blindly emptying their magazines.
4. Stand in full view, in the open, and fire from the hip on automatic mode.

It's not very effective, even against other mobs doing the same thing, which is why the wars in Africa never get resolved. It's not due to a lack of willingness to slaughter each other; they just aren't any good at it.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Jusu
Youngling

Re: Fun in Africa (Primer to African Fighting)

Post by Jusu »

I. Can't. Breathe.

XD

...I think I'm gonna go to hell for that, but it's just too funny. XD
Simplicius
Jedi Council Member

Re: Fun in Africa (Primer to African Fighting)

Post by Simplicius »

Don't necro threads without adding something significant and relevant to them. We don't need to know that you 'lol'ed' at a four and a half year old thread.

Locked.