Pony image dump thread (NO 56k, PIC HEAVY)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Re: Pony image dump thread

Post by Zixinus »

A few quick images:

Little helper

This was originally a t-shirt design

Ponies go to SPACE!
(I have no idea what image they are parodying)

Little Sparkle

Rarity in a different style
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I am sorely disappointed that there seems to be no fanart referencing the consistently excellent marksmanship and tactical skill demonstrated by the Ace of Spades brony clan, several of whom take their handles from the cast of MLP:FiM and consistently maintain Kayfabe.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

I have no idea what you just said.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Kayfabe is a pro-wrestling term for a known lie treated as the truth. Example, Kane and the Undertaker as brothers. (totally different folks, who have had other idenities before, in fact Kane started out pretending to be Kevin Nash)

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

So in tonight's episode of sleep deprivation theater, I decided to ponder the brony phenomenon.

There are a few reasons to like MLP as a cartoon. Good animation, distinct and interesting characters and all. But I was wondering why the bronies were attracted to MLP in particular instead of some of the other cartoons that are out there.

So I think there is a superficial similarity between the creation of bronyism and OWS. OWS is a wholesale rejection of the culture of greed and corruption in the corporate sector and government in response to years of crushing despair caused by widening inequality and political disenfranchisement.

I think a lot of bronies at least subconsciously attach to MLP in a similar rejection of popular culture, which has glorified cutthroat game theory bullshit and shallow egoism. They latch onto MLP because to them it best represents the antithesis of these cynical depictions of humanity, and has the added bonus of nobody trying to pepper spray them.

As for the people on the internet who sexualize it, you get that kind of shit all over the internet. But if I had to pull a bullshit interpretation out of my ass, I'd say that a lack of positive sexual experiences has caused them to fetishize the positive reinforcement of the show or something like that.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Here's a problem with that theory: how come it is popular in non-USA regions as well?

I like the show for the following reasons:
- It's not stupid. I am tired of the idea that "it's a cartoon so it must be stupid". The show handles itself fairly seriously, even with all its silliness (mild west dances) in story and humor. The plots make sense, rather than the usual casual disregard of it for the sake going from one gag to another.
- It' nice. It has little bullshit ideology ("ROOAR HONOR"). The most prevailing idea in the show is that you should be a nice person and that you should try to understand your friends. That is a very agreeable idea (the only episode that had a negative message as far as I am concerned was Feeling Pinkie Keen). It tries to tell the audience something important without being preachy.
- It's bloody adorable. Look at over half of the pictures presented here. They are meant to show how bloody adorable the ponies are. In the show, they often ACT adorable and cute, without forcing it.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

Civil War Man wrote:I think a lot of bronies at least subconsciously attach to MLP in a similar rejection of popular culture, which has glorified cutthroat game theory bullshit and shallow egoism. They latch onto MLP because to them it best represents the antithesis of these cynical depictions of humanity, and has the added bonus of nobody trying to pepper spray them.
Yep. It's a nice show, completely without the crushing, endless cynicism that permeates so much pop culture. Plus good characters, entertaining stories, etc.
And also one of the ingredients to making a pony is cocaine. -Darth Fanboy.

My Little Warhammer: Friendship is Heresy - Latest Chapter: 7 - Rainbow Crash
VF5SS
Sith Devotee

Post by VF5SS »

poniez is popular for the same reason as Transformers, GI-Joe, and Touhous

lots of characters in a vaguely interesting setting who all have distinct personalities and appearances which means that no matter brief their appearance, characters garner love and obsession from fans like with derpy hooves and the DJ pony

so using the tried and true method of psychological manipulation as perfected by Hasbro, there is now another perfect fanfiction universe to exploit forever

i am an expert you see Image
プロジェクトゾハルとは何ですか?
ロボットが好き。
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

In transformers (interesting characters? Transformers? LOL), I seem to remember that they introduced random background robots by name so that they could justify selling the toys. That DJ pony you talked about didn't even have that ... she was in a single shot for about seven seconds.

Now there are like a dozen fanfictions about the character, she has a consistent characterisation and ongoing friendship with another background character (combined they have nearly twenty seconds of screen time), and someone made a radio play with volunteer voice-actors (it's on youtube somewhere, can't remember what it's called).

I swear I had a point in mind when I started writing this, but I suppose the conclusion is that this fandom is insane..

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Applejack time!

The duds
(this is a coloured version of a scetch that Lauren Faust actually made while planning AJ's character)

After a hard work

Her pride got the best of her again

Sister

Sleepy little apple

I'll get to you!
Credo!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Wait Applejack want to be Rainbow Dash's pet?

I could have done without knowing that.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

It's actually a shipping image, not official in any way. It's still cute and pretty SWF so I thought I'd include it.
Credo!
evilsoup
Jedi Knight

Post by evilsoup »

What the hay, you guys.
Everypony knows that it's Twilight who wants to be Dash's pet

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

The art he made for the song is, of course, where I got my new sig/av combo from. Enjoy!

It really is pretty chill. And just made for looping.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Semper Pie!
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

To follow on from the above, I present to you the United States Marine Corps Herd!

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

evilsoup wrote:but I suppose the conclusion is that this fandom is insane..
Yeah, you should look at what the Touhou fandom has produced.

Except with Touhou I bet that 95% of the fandom hasn't played the games for more than a minute... (at which point they ran out of lives).
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

RogueIce wrote:To follow on from the above, I present to you the United States Marine Corps Herd!

Are you sure you don't mean 'Mareines' :V

PS That's a horrible pun and I feel horrible.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Cute Mark Crusader Cosmonauts! Yay!

Grown up Scootaloo is best Scootaloo

Number One Fan

Crusader Reunion
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Bad Sparkle!

Telekinesis practise

Juicebox
Credo!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Inevitable
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

So 99% of the time, I'm not a fan of the humanized ponies art.

This, however, is from the 1% when I am:

DeviantArt for the full image

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

And yes, I so want a uniform like that one.

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

If this isn't canon, it should be.

Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

About Luna: What I'd like to know, is what is she holding.

About Dash: Oh yeaaah. 8)
Credo!