TIL: Today I Learned... (Join in!)

OT: anything goes!

Moderator: Edi

aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Re: TIL: Today I Learned... (Join in!)

Post by aerius »

aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

TIL: Why do I keep having to do stuff I don't like? TIL: Life is defined by doing what is necessary. I guess I always knew that, but y'know what: I don't care anymore. Except for the protection of the innocent. But as far as I'm concerned, fuck it. I'll intervene if I see some shit I don't approve of, but not going out of my way. But if it actually happens in front of me - I'm not a monster. Of course I would do what had to be done.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

TIL the importance of a PC monitor having a tilt function when the ideal position for said monitor is slightly below eye level.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

TIL Nitram's mother has Parkinson's.

She's doing physical therapy, she's on medication, and she's still got very mild symptoms, but she did have a bad fall that blacked her eye :(
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

TIL that this is a movie. I'm pretty sure I know what drugs they were using...

ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

That strawberries from Finland are some special shit. Apparently.

I knew strawberries from like Spain taste like water but I figured they picked them green or something. Apparently it's the latitude, midnight summer sun. Short season but the sunlights never stops, makes for very tasty berries. This means the same applies to berries grown in Sweden and Norway and Alaska (but probably not it's southernmost parts).
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

TIL that dipping sauce for pizza crusts is more of a regional thing than I had previously imagined, especially if said dipping sauce consists of garlic mayonnaise.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

TIL I still know the words to "What a Day That Will Be", when my cousin's family all sang it together at his funeral in multi-part harmony.

My cousin was the patriarch of a Gospel-singing family, with 3 different quartets, a mom-daughter duo, and three (3) preachers, all of whom spoke at the funeral that my cousin, who had been blind for years and was suffering from Parkinson's so bad he was on a feeding tube these last few months, was now Seeing Jesus with his own eyes and dancing down Heaven's streets.

I was a bit worried when the first preacher gave the starting prayer with 20 "Dear God/Oh God" in it, but when the quartets started singing, I was crying from how beautiful the music was. Perfect harmony in all the songs, his eldest son hitting high notes like a soprano. It was one of the most uplifting funerals I'd ever attended.

And, I remembered and could sing along to a song I probably last sung/heard sang when I was 16yrs old. Weird how memory works.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

muse wrote: 2022-12-01 02:07pm TIL that this is a movie. I'm pretty sure I know what drugs they were using
Just for the record, muse has given me permission to say this: You're one of my favorite people. Cocaine is a hell of a drug. Cocaine-fueled bear is some shit.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

"Now, your monkey instinct will suggest climbing a tree. This is wrong. The black bear can actually climb trees better than you. The brown bear will just knock down the tree. Either way you're fucked." -Bill Bryson

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

TIL that yes, if I keep rolling over and curling tighter into a ball in my bed, I WILL SLEEP TIL 2pm without realizing it.

The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

TIL (the hard way) that Discord has a major security flaw... BUILT IN.

All those random server invite spam messages? Yea, I thought they were just spam. Turns out that you can capture the Discord credential token via those invites that allows a nefarious individual to then send messages and post as that individual.

2 factor authentication folks, it's worth it.

In other news, I think I got booted from the SD.net Discord :( which is my own fault but I would like back in.
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

I tried to register with Discord once, I ended up permanently autobanned and without chance of appeal.

TIL, or more like the last three weeks, I learned to make bacon from scratch.

Made my own smoke shack, which looks like an outhouse to me
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

The_Saint wrote: 2022-12-19 12:42am TIL (the hard way) that Discord has a major security flaw... BUILT IN.

All those random server invite spam messages? Yea, I thought they were just spam. Turns out that you can capture the Discord credential token via those invites that allows a nefarious individual to then send messages and post as that individual.

2 factor authentication folks, it's worth it.

In other news, I think I got booted from the SD.net Discord :( which is my own fault but I would like back in.
I'm guilty of being too self-conscious to actually speak on there, that and like a lot of people I don't like the sound of my own voice. And a lot of the users listed on there I don't recognise from here.

TIL that fixing the main beam headlights on the car is a bitch to do and was more complex than replacing the indicator switch, you have to adjust the contacts exactly right because the switch moves the copper plate such a minuscule amount if it's even slightly out the main headlights are either always on or always off.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

A few days late but TIL that Patrick Stewart has joined TikTok and is doing readings from A Christmas Carol :mrgreen:
Raw Shark

Post by Raw Shark »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-12-19 09:56pm A few days late but TIL that Patrick Stewart has joined TikTok and is doing readings from A Christmas Carol :mrgreen:
The cast of TNG have gone on the record that year one, Patrick Stewart had no sense of humor at all, and by the end he was the funniest guy there. That show transformed him.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Raw Shark wrote: 2022-12-20 01:38pm
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2022-12-19 09:56pm A few days late but TIL that Patrick Stewart has joined TikTok and is doing readings from A Christmas Carol :mrgreen:
The cast of TNG have gone on the record that year one, Patrick Stewart had no sense of humor at all, and by the end he was the funniest guy there. That show transformed him.
Funny you should say that, I chanced upon this example yesterday:
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

TIL that the guy who recorded "Monster Mash" did a Xmas song "Monster's Holiday", that's pretty much the plot of "Nightmare Before Christmas".

Have to wonder if that's where they got the idea.

J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

TIL that people will stick anything in their buttholes.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/ ... r-removed/
A French hospital had to be evacuated after a man in his 80s presented to doctors with a First World War shell stuck inside his rear.

Though the 88-year-old assured staff the shell was a collector’s item that had been deactivated, staff at the Sainte Musse Hospital in Toulon scrambled to evacuate some of its patients, redirect others, and call in the bomb squad.

“An apple, a mango, or even shaving foam…we’re used to finding unusual objects inserted where they shouldn’t be,” an unnamed ER staffer told the local paper Nice-Matin, which broke the story.

“But a shell? Never.”

The man’s appearance at the hospital required a major reshuffling and partial evacuation of patients, most notably the paediatric unit, to the main hall. For a few hours on that Saturday evening, new patients were also redirected to other hospitals.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

J wrote: 2022-12-23 12:19pm TIL that people will stick anything in their buttholes.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/ ... r-removed/
A French hospital had to be evacuated after a man in his 80s presented to doctors with a First World War shell stuck inside his rear.

Though the 88-year-old assured staff the shell was a collector’s item that had been deactivated, staff at the Sainte Musse Hospital in Toulon scrambled to evacuate some of its patients, redirect others, and call in the bomb squad.

“An apple, a mango, or even shaving foam…we’re used to finding unusual objects inserted where they shouldn’t be,” an unnamed ER staffer told the local paper Nice-Matin, which broke the story.

“But a shell? Never.”

The man’s appearance at the hospital required a major reshuffling and partial evacuation of patients, most notably the paediatric unit, to the main hall. For a few hours on that Saturday evening, new patients were also redirected to other hospitals.
He wasn't the first and he won't be the last. From last year:
Bomb squad called to ER after a patient turned up with a WWII artillery shell lodged in his rectum, police say.
Bomb disposal experts were called to a hospital in Gloucester, England, after a man told doctors that there was a World War II anti-tank shell lodged inside of him, authorities said.

The Explosive Ordnance Disposal team (EOD) arrived at Gloucestershire Royal Hospital on Wednesday morning after hearing that "a patient had presented with a munition in his rectum," a spokesperson for Gloucestershire Constabulary told Insider.

Doctors had already removed the item by the time the bomb squad arrived, the spokesperson added, and the EOD confirmed that the shell was "not live" and "therefore not a danger to the public."

The Sun was first to report that the unnamed patient told doctors at Gloucestershire Royal Hospital that he "slipped and fell" on the two-inch-wide artillery shell.

The media outlet reported that the shell was part of his military memorabilia collection.

In a statement sent to Insider, Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust said: "As with any incident involving munitions, the relevant safety protocols were followed to ensure that there was no risk to patients, staff, or visitors at any time."

The British newspaper Metro reported that procedures to remove objects from patients' rectums cost the National Health Service (NHS) around £340,000 ($450,000) a year.
I'm not sure what's more tragic, that people are stupid enough to do this or the bullshit excuses they come up with :lol:
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

J wrote: 2022-12-23 12:19pm TIL that people will stick anything in their buttholes.
Not just their butholes.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

bilateralrope wrote: 2022-12-23 12:58pm
Not just their butholes.
I want to know how some guy managed to shove 4 plastic spoons up his dick.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

aerius wrote: 2022-12-23 01:09pm
Not just their butholes.
Might be the same one who shoved a USB cable up his.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Not just their butholes.
I'm hoping that it stretched more than I'd expect it to.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

bilateralrope wrote: 2022-12-23 02:53pm

Not just their butholes.
I'm hoping that it stretched more than I'd expect it to.
One of the objects description:
"TOWEL WITH A SOCK OVER IT & GLOVE OVER THE SOCK" :shock: :lol: