Entropy and such.

SLAM: debunk creationism, pseudoscience, and superstitions. Discuss logic and morality.

Moderator: Alyrium Denryle

Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Entropy and such.

Post by Alferd Packer »

As we know, entropy must forever increase. This poses some interesting questions: what might happen when entropy reaches a maximum in the universe? Will it reach a maximum, or will gravity be able to suck all the degenerate matter back into a superatom, so that the Big Bang (or something like it) will happen all over again?

Something else to mull over.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Nick
Jedi Knight

Re: Entropy and such.

Post by Nick »

Alferd Packer wrote:As we know, entropy must forever increase. This poses some interesting questions: what might happen when entropy reaches a maximum in the universe? Will it reach a maximum, or will gravity be able to suck all the degenerate matter back into a superatom, so that the Big Bang (or something like it) will happen all over again?

Something else to mull over.
Or will the Universe eventually peter out into utterly boring 'heat death' as it eventually flattens out into a very dull sea of indistinguishable particles?

How about we figure out how to get the planet to survive the next 100 years first. . .

(My characterisation of heat death is probably wrong. *shrug* I think the second comment indicates how much it matters to me :P)
"People should buy our toaster because it toasts bread the best, not because it has the only plug that fits in the outlet" - Robert Morris, Almaden Research Center (IBM)

"If you have any faith in the human race you have too much." - Enlightenment
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

As the universe is expanding at a faster and faster rate, the total amount of entropy in the universe can steadily increase without the universe becoming more chaotic, in fact, it can become progressively less chaotic without violating the second law of thermodynamics. After all, near the beginning, the universe was just a superheated, gaseous ball of pandemonium, albeit a rather small one.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Actually, entropy was shown to have been consumed on extremely small scales very recently through experiment.

A heat death will occur when all the energy in the universe is in the form of useless heat.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

Durandal, I saw a news item on that, too. Some Australian team, I think, managed to discover it. If anyone's curious, I can try to dig up the article later.
The Great and Malignant